First Checks With The New Garmin Gpsmap 60 C(s)x?

freeday

pt-gpsmap60csxRF-LG.jpg

@first-ones-with-the-new-X-unit: :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please check SN (Static Navigation) 4 me.

At what minimum speed does the unit show the correct speed-information

Is SN enabled or disabled?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do YOU also have to be checked with the new X-unit? :blink:

Thank you!

I moved my questions to http://web97962.ta31.talkactive.net/mbbs22...posts=1&start=1

Please report questions to the new link. - I think this would be more clearly.

The main-entry is: http://www.navigate3d.com/

--->Enter Forum International

navigate to: ---> GPS receivers, equipment, maps, utilities etc ---> Garmin --> First Checks With The New Garmin Gpsmap 60 C(s)x?

PLEASE REPORT TO THE NEW LINK ONLY - THANK YOU!

I think the best way to collect reports is to announce them on the biggest forums. Groundspeak is the biggest and best in my opinion. It's very professional.

Reports can be collected from all over the world from a lot of forums and posted, also as links, in the forums.

Groundspeak forums have most members and readers.

Thank you freeday, good topic in this thread. A lot of x-model testreports will come the next week. I'll post all information here, on the highway. I now use a 60CS.

Otto :blink:

Edited by OttoLund
Do anybody know the size of the internal memory in the 60C(S)x and 76C(S)x models?

Not the MicroSD card but the internal memory.

Previous models had 56mb and 115mb in 60- and 76-series.

Otto

From what I've read, the only memory is the flash card. I don't believe the unit has internal memory for maps anymore. I may be mistaken though :blink:

I received mine yesterday from tvnav, along with a 512mb extra card. It is VERY sensitive. I live on the second floor of a 6 story apartment building, with very limited exposures. It got a lock, picking up between 4 and 6 satellites, and kept it.

Outside (in DC area, urban but not canyonlike), it got bars for everything in the sky, with filled in bars for 9-12 of them all the time, with some shifting of sats as I walked. Also would stay locked near my parking brake in the car. I can't wait to try it in the woods.

Haven't gotten detailed maps yet other than Topo, but I can see it's going to hold a huge area.

I'm happy!

Do anybody know the size of the internal memory in the 60C(S)x and 76C(S)x models?

Otto

Don't believe there is any internal memory for maps, but the 60 comes with a 64mb card and the 76 comes with a 128mb card.

Otto

Otto, you havent't gotten any better answer than I did to two previous posts asking the same question, but I was mainly interested in the 76CSx.

"Peter" answered my last one that the 76CS actually had a 128mb chip in it. 13 mb for Basemaps and 115mb for Topo, CS,CN, Bluechart or whatever maps. (64mbcghip with 8mb for basemaps and 56mb for the 60CS)

Comparing the 76CS vs the 76CSx----I still don't know how much memory or where, or what type, the 1000 wpts, 50 tracks,10,000 trackpoints, Routes, saved tracks etc are stored. Since the new "card memory" is strictly for added maps,isn't the above what you are tryng to figure out also?

Map drawing is reportet to be much faster with a X-unit compared to a non X GPSMAP 60. - Can someone confirm this and write down the seconds.

As there was no feedback until today. Is my question indecipherable?

Thank you!

I just got my 60cx today, and it seems pretty nifty except for a few rough spots. The biggest problem right now is that gsak doesn't work with it yet (see my other topic in this forum).

But I had one other glitch, after I loaded my Metroguide and Topo maps into it, I went to the map page, and it showed "drawing" on the screen, and just hung like that. After about 5 minutes I turmed it off and on, and then the map displayed correctly.

I went out to find a cache with it at a nearby shopping center. Lots of tall buildings, canyons, etc. It acquires satellites within 10 seconds or so, and does a great job holding the lock. When I walked all the way through Macy's, it lost reception after about 30 seconds, right in the middle of the building, but as soon as I walked out the door it had the lock again, even though there is a canopy there. Holds the lock in my house and in my pocket, but when I'm in my house it my location jumps around by as much as a couple of hundred feet.

The accuracy, when I compare it to my Legend, seems about the same, as long as the legend has a lock.

All in all, I'm very happy - just looking forward to being able to use it with gsak!

frreday: Garmin assured me that Static Navigation is OFF in all their handheld implementations of SiRF III, ie their x models will continue to register small movements and not lock.

The answer was very comprehensive and clearly came from someone who really knew about it, so on this basis I've ordered my UK model.

I did post the answer on here but can't find it without the search facility.