Cito Event

bear&fox

Indeed, that would a truly excellent day on which to hold an event.

Things we need to decide: location, start and end times, cache placement (do we place one beforehand and have attendees find it, or do we all bring items to add to a mutually-placed cache, etc), what permissions are required and from whom, media involvement (newspapers, etc.)

Let's get this thang moving!

:blink:

Hi!

I know that I am neither Vespa, Larks or Goofster, but I hope you don't mind me replying to this message.

The CITO event sounds like a great idea. Perhaps everyone in the area could start considering places which could do with CITOing? Somewhere with relatively easy access (T=2.5 max) would probably broaden the appeal of the event to cachers and media people alike.

As for the cache itself, personally I prefer the idea of bringing items to place in a collective cache, as it provides more of an opportunity to meet and interact with other cachers. Perhaps the cache could have a mutually agreed theme?

Let me know if I can assist with the endeavour.

- XV Pilot

I think we need to put together a small 'working committee' to plan the event, taking all suggestions into account. Maybe 4 - 5 ppl max, with the option to 'co-opt' others if special skills / contacts / influence is required. I still like the idea of cleaning up one of the beaches at Cape Point. Perhaps all interested parties could meet over coffee / juice somewhere - after Montagu Mayhem perhaps?

XV, of course you are welcome. This is an extension to all geocachers that happen to be near 34°S, 018°E at the time.

Goofster, good ideas all-round - and not just the meeting/coffee but also the venue. B&F will gladly volunteer to be involved in Vespa's excellent idea.

Anyone with press contacts? What do we need aside from cachers, black bags and trailer for the spoils?

B

B&F will gladly volunteer to be involved in Vespa's excellent idea.

Anyone with press contacts?

Well. Sounds like things are moving ahead on this. I don't think I get credit on the CITO idea, it seemed to be mutually talked about at the last cache event. So its a community thing, but thanks for thinking of me B! :blink:

We know a girl that writes crime stories for the Cape Argus. She was just head hunted and is moving to Jo'burg soon. Perhaps, next I see her, I can ask about some contacts for the paper.

I will meet up to discuss in 'committee.' We just tried New York Bagel in Sea Point. Tasty, and close to nostalgic! :) And close to Goofster and Discombob.

P.S. - Just noticed it is Earth Day that same day. Nice of them to plan it hand in hand.

Edited by vespaxvespa

I can perhaps be on the committee.

My mom might have some contacts for articles etc..

in fact, I think she is having an article on geocaching being published in next edition of Country life, so look out for that.

Another place in dire need of a clean up is the start of my Seal Island cache, in Hout Bay harbour - its sad how that area could be allowed to get so filthy.

Edited by Discombob
EVERY DAY in SA should be CITO day!

Extend that to the world!!

Something we found interesting on our recent trip is that Pretoria is probably one of the cleanest cities around. Its really quite inspiring to us CT peeps.

Don't meen to sound negative but what is the intention behind having media coverage? Shouldn't there first be a trial run to test the waters?

GS, the trick, we hope, is to build something of a positive image of geocaching in SA. Just yesterday CNN carried a(nother) story of a geocache bucket that resembled a bomb. Any activity will always draw some negative exposure, but we can do a little to show folks that it's beneficial to non-cachers as well. If one can get the nature conservation authorities to tolerate geocaching some years down the line then we'd be looking good. So we have to start somewhere.

Of course we don't need to tell them about the caches peppering the Table Mountain chain just yet! :lol:

But I think a little article in a regional newspaper showcasing beach-cleaning geocachers would do the sport a whole lot of good.

Of course I could be wrong and we could all end up spending the weekend in jail and have our beloved GPSrs confiscated!

B

After doing Up Up and Away cache I have been receiving emails from the On Track Adventure club. I noticed in the email they just sent out that they might be looking to use their "slave Labour" force for some clean up projects.

On Track Club has always had a strong environmental point of reference. Our members have assisted with projects varying from the maintenance of mountain biking trails to the collection, transportation and the washing of oil-polluted penguins.

We intend continuing with these efforts. So, if there is an environmental project you are aware of that would benefit from the slave labour of our members let us know about it. If you are prepared to coordinate and head up the projects you put forward On Track Club will make every effort to assist in making your efforts known to its subscribers.

Submissions of events, editorials and updates for publication in the On Track Club newsflash must be sent to info@ontrackclub.com with Newsflash Submission in the subject line of your email.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Perhaps with the CITO event, we could get them involved, have some extra workers/cleaners and spark some interest in a few people with geocaching. What do you think?

Goofster wrote:

the CITO event is gathering momentum. Obviously we don't want to give away too much just yet, but provisionally book the morning of Saturday 22 April, International CITO day, for the Western Cape event. Negotiations with interested parties are under way.

Got the email and another has been sent on to requested personnel. This is shaping up to be a good one. Lets see about getting lots of cachers attending! B) Everyone, mark your calenders, non-westerncapers, there is still time to book tickets! B)

Yes, folks! International CITO Day 2006 - Western Cape is up and running. Check out GCTBT1 for more details. As usual, the Western Cape takes the lead in all geocaching activity in South Africa. Let's see if the uitlanders can catch up to us. We'll be attempting to attract sponsorship in the form of gifts for a lucky prize draw, so anyone with the gift of the gab who can help with contacting potential sponsors (e.g. C.U.M., Avnic - Garmin Rules!) is welcome to contact me.

Just posting a note to bump the topic back up the order. Seems like there is quite a lot of interest in the event, even from those who cannot attend. Might be a good idea for the 'steering committee' to get together some time soon for 'tea and sticky buns' somewhere and to discuss progress in person. :huh:

Good day all!

So I think i should really start checking the forums more often!

There are so many people available to help in various different ways for this event, i really think that we should start putting out our ideas onto the forum so that if anybody has expertise or contacts in any of the areas they could help out.

In reply to vespa, regarding the on-track club, they will be putting the clean-up day on thier calendar and hence on thier website as an invitation for any of thier members to join in and help with the clean-up of the beach. Is this ok with everybody? This should create some positive attention as mentioned by B&F.

I realise that some people would like to keep this very exclusive? My personal feeling is that i would like to have a large interactive social day with all the geocachers and thier family and friends.

Whilst this should remain exclusively a geocaching event, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a few extra hands to help with the tidying up?

What is the general feeling in this regard?

Received a call today from a Mail & Guardian journo who got my number from Quintus (geocacher_coza). He is doing a piece on geocaching and asked a whole bunch of questions about the history and state of geocaching in South Africa (it's alive and well and growing in strength). He also asked about our CITO event so I gave him some background info on that too. Keep your eyes open for the article! Still on the CITO subject, many thanks to Quintus for his generous donation of goodies - if you want to stand a chance of winning the hamper, you have to be there on the day!

Yes indeed, Vespaxvespa is the man in charge of the shirts! We are in capable hands indeed!

We will have to order the shirts from him in advance before the event, but everybody should get an email regarding that in due time.

On the topic of location, Cape Point has thier own clean-up crew so our efforts may be in vain?

So we have an alternative plan!

How does everybody feel about the area around kalk bay caves, amphitheatre etc.?

We can get transported from silvermine main entrance to the back of the amphitheatre by the park rangers. That leaves a 15 minute walk to the area along a really good footpath. We can then do the clean up with the park rangers and they have agreed to show those interested a few of the caves in the area!

Just as another bonus activity whilst we clean!

After that, they will take us to the braai facilties at the dam where we can have a braai and a swim (if it's a nice day).

So thats the new plan. How does everybody feel about that?

Been out of town so I have missed all the action until now.

Will get shirts figured out sometime this week. We are looking at about +/- 50 rand per shirt. B&F are working on the design. I was holding out until the final location was selected since I didn't want people ordering pre-emptively.

matata, hope to see you there.

Larks, like the new location, closer to home!! :laughing:

out.

I won't be able to make it myself, but was wandering if there is actually enough trash up there to warrant a CITO event. I recall from the times i have been geocaching up there that the area is pretty clean - perhaps a spot could be used that would need a clean-up more ?

Unless i had my CITO blinkers on ;)

Discombob, I think that there might actually is some rubbish up there. When i phoned the section ranger that was the first place she mentioned. So hopefully our efforts will be well deserved!

And Huskies, thanks for offer on transport! We may just take you up on that!

The rangers have offered to transport us and accompany us, but you never know.

And for everyone else: We want to give away a few prizes, to encourage people to attend and to say thanks. So if anyone can help us on that side of things it would be great!

We're looking for anything! Small goodies, cape union mart gizmos, cache items etc.

Anybody got contacts?

And T-shirt sponsors would be ideal - contact Vespa!

In the meantime, to whet your appetite...

Check out this link:

Hoerikwaggo Trails: 3 Day Trail

Could be a great caching opportunity for two!

Edited by Larks