New Geocoin Policy

Keystone

I think the problem is that the mods don't make the rules for the forums, so they can only get us answers as quick as TPTB make decisions.

Edit-ok, I see I posted to late and possibly in error. Maybe then if the decisions have been made an outline of them would be good. That way at least we know that our questions/ideas have been considered. Even if they are rejected it would be nice to know that they were at least seen.

Edited by Hula Bum
i think my eyes are gonna bleed after reading 8 pages. this has really turned me off of thinking about making my own coins. i could understand a small fee for tracking but $1.50 per coin is a little high. is there any way the mods or who ever could reconsider this high of a fee? or maybe place a general fee like X$ for Y amount of coins? i think that lowering the fee would get more people involved in making coins as well as increse revinue in gs.com. thanks for any info you can provide.

Moderators have no control over what price individuals choose to sell their coins for. Geocaching.com is not in the coin manufacturing business. They only provide tracking. Coin prices are not up to the mods or geocaching.com at all. Supply and demand can control price, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

thats why my question was worded the way it was. i didnt think the mod's control the price of a tracking number. but do the mod's speak with the company about our conserns? im guessing thats probably a no. i just dont agree with not being able to talk about geocoins on a geocoins forum. i dont see why tracking has anything to do with it. but i guess it is a business and not a free forum so they can censer what we can and cant talk about.

Edited by mylt1
thats why my question was worded the way it was. i didnt think the mod's control the price of a tracking number. but do the mod's speak with the company about our conserns? im guessing thats probably a no. i just dont agree with not being able to talk about geocoins on a geocoins forum. i dont see why tracking has anything to do with it. but i guess it is a business and not a free forum so they can censer what we can and cant talk about.

The mods have nothing to do with the coin makers prices. Our job is to make sure you don't post dirty pictures, commercial links, swear words, insults, be unkind, do anything disrespectful or upset the geo-apple cart. And to try to answer questions about things we do know about. There are a lot of coin makers and other than to tell some of them that cannot post their commercial link, I have never discussed coins with a one of them. If you do not like their price, do not buy their product. The person putting out the coin is also setting the price. If you don't like it tell them, or don't buy it. (In a private email if you would.)

Hey you guys! Your coins are too costly!!!

That's about all I can do from where I sit. We'll see if it helps.

Yes, this is a free forum, did you pay to get in? No, it isn't run for free, so they get to say how it's run. Tracking is because the people wanted tracking, geocaching.com gave them tracking, they wanted icons, they gave them icons. Tracking isn't free, because it takes up space, so one must pay the rent on that space.

i think my eyes are gonna bleed after reading 8 pages. this has really turned me off of thinking about making my own coins. i could understand a small fee for tracking but $1.50 per coin is a little high. is there any way the mods or who ever could reconsider this high of a fee? or maybe place a general fee like X$ for Y amount of coins? i think that lowering the fee would get more people involved in making coins as well as increse revinue in gs.com. thanks for any info you can provide.

Moderators have no control over what price individuals choose to sell their coins for. Geocaching.com is not in the coin manufacturing business. They only provide tracking. Coin prices are not up to the mods or geocaching.com at all. Supply and demand can control price, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

The way I read the original question is about the possibility of decreasing the cost of tracking ($1.50 per coin), not the price of the coin itself. If GC.com doesn't DICTATE how much that tracking number costs, who does? I think mylt1 has a valid question if you read it carefully.

The mods have nothing to do with the coin makers prices. Our job is to make sure you don't post dirty pictures, commercial links, swear words, insults, be unkind, do anything disrespectful or upset the geo-apple cart. And to try to answer questions about things we do know about. There are a lot of coin makers and other than to tell some of them that cannot post their commercial link, I have never discussed coins with a one of them. If you do not like their price, do not buy their product. The person putting out the coin is also setting the price. If you don't like it tell them, or don't buy it. (In a private email if you would.)

Hey you guys! Your coins are too costly!!!

That's about all I can do from where I sit. We'll see if it helps.

Yes, this is a free forum, did you pay to get in? No, it isn't run for free, so they get to say how it's run. Tracking is because the people wanted tracking, geocaching.com gave them tracking, they wanted icons, they gave them icons. Tracking isn't free, because it takes up space, so one must pay the rent on that space.

I think what you're being asked to do, with all due respect is to yell up the chain of GC.com command:

Hey, you guys, your TRACKING NUMBERS are too costly.

Just an observation.

Hey you guys!  Your coins are too costly!!!

I think what you're being asked to do, with all due respect is to yell up the chain of GC.com command:

Hey, you guys, your TRACKING NUMBERS are too costly.

It's both. $10 for a friggin coin? The $1.50 contributes to that, but obviously there is a huge mark up on the coin seller! Don't blame Groundspeak for the $1.50 add on when the coin seller is also tacking on an additional $5 or so.

Forgive me if someone already suggested this, but (honestly) I haven't been reading all of the posts, just the ones that come in via email once or twice a day via the subscribe function.

Why doesn't GC simply consider making the Geocoin Discussion Forums a Premuim Feature and go back to not having to moderate every post in their current republican manner?

I'd gladly step up and subscribe for the $3/month for this, they'd make as much (or more over time) from everyone who paid monthly to use the Geocoin Forums.

The real reason that I haven't become a Premium Member up to now is that there wasn't anything that was a benefit to me on the rest of the site. Going back to open discussions would be a benefit to me, and I would certainly guess, to others as well. If it's really financial, this would surely be an income stream.

--Marc

January 31, 2006 @ 8:04 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

Edited by SilverMarc

whap-whap-whap!

boy you guys sure know how to beat a dead horse....

why on earth would GS lower the price of something when the coins and tracking numbers are selling like hotcakes? You need to open your old school books on economics. :ph34r:

there's somebody out there with "Signal" on the plate of his BMW

The way I read the original question is about the possibility of decreasing the cost of tracking ($1.50 per coin), not the price of the coin itself. If GC.com doesn't DICTATE how much that tracking number costs, who does? I think mylt1 has a valid question if you read it carefully.

thank you. someone that can read. its not about the price of the coin itself. never mind. i give up.

And here I am with an actual question (or two) about the guidelines:

Firstly, what comprises the "geocaching.com logo"?? Is it the four-part design in the upper left of their main page (which also serves as tab-bar icon), or is it the G-with-plus-inside doodle?

If it is the four-part color design, it be okay to use the colors only in a coin design, laid out like they are in the logo, but without the black drawing over it?

Secondly, is there any restrictions to using the G-with-plus-inside in a coin design?

Firstly, what comprises the "geocaching.com logo"?? Is it the four-part design in the upper left of their main page (which also serves as tab-bar icon), or is it the G-with-plus-inside doodle?

If it is the four-part color design, it be okay to use the colors only in a coin design, laid out like they are in the logo, but without the black drawing over it?

Secondly, is there any restrictions to using the G-with-plus-inside in a coin design?

Taking a look here: public domain geocaching logos

Looks like the G should be freely available to use.

Taking a look here: public domain geocaching logos

Looks like the G should be freely available to use.

actually, I think I read somewhere if you change the logo something like 10%-15% it's legal, does that sound right? In other words, you can't say you own the rights to the colors blue-yellow-green, whatever.... but there is a point in a logo copied where your copy doesn't look like the original anymore..... I guess it's all up to the judge, right? :)

Since we are not permitted to provide a legal counsel, I would suggest that you take a look at this site since it has a lot of relevant information relating to trademarks and what may or may not constitute infringement:

http://www.marklaw.com/trademark-glossary/confuse.htm

When we review logo and coin designs submitted to Groundspeak, it is our goal to avoid the possibility of infringement and any design that we find to be confusingly similar to our trademark is not approved. The more is looks like our logo, the less likely it will be approved.

Our Trademark is the 4-box square logo, not the Gx logo.

This has been quite a read for one night! It does raise a question though.

Last year, we minted a state coin. After much discussion, we decided to make it non-trackable, reasoning that the lower the price, the more coins would be minted/circulated. Some people wanted a trackable coin, but the vote went to non-trackable and we ended up minting over 2150 coins at cost (just over, so as not to come up short) and got many positive comments on the low price.

This year, we had been considering two choices, you can purchase a trackable coin, or a sequentially numbered coin(like last year). This would be like selecting "insurance/no insurance" or "shipping/local pickup" on the order page, same coin, but if you want to spend the extra, get tracking, if you want a cheaper coin (or will never register it), order the non-trackable coin.

Under the new rules, is this an acceptable action? There are many people that wanted our 2005 coin trackable, but the majority won. This would give both sides an option on the 2006 coin. If this isn't acceptable, can you suggest an alternative that fits within the new framework?

Last year, we minted a state coin. After much discussion, we decided to make it non-trackable, reasoning that the lower the price, the more coins would be minted/circulated. Some people wanted a trackable coin, but the vote went to non-trackable and we ended up minting over 2150 coins at cost (just over, so as not to come up short) and got many positive comments on the low price.

This year, we had been considering two choices, you can purchase a trackable coin, or a sequentially numbered coin(like last year). This would be like selecting "insurance/no insurance" or "shipping/local pickup" on the order page, same coin, but if you want to spend the extra, get tracking, if you want a cheaper coin (or will never register it), order the non-trackable coin.

Under the new rules, is this an acceptable action? There are many people that wanted our 2005 coin trackable, but the majority won. This would give both sides an option on the 2006 coin. If this isn't acceptable, can you suggest an alternative that fits within the new framework?

Eartha, anyone? Would this work?

Under the guidelines, you are able to promote the sale of the trackable coins only in these forums.

Email sent as well.

- FSM

My understanding of the gecoin policy is that in order to promote an ebay sale of any kind, charitable or otherwise, the coin for sale must be trackable on gc.com.

I think that this makes some sense, so that gc.com does not have to be placed in the position of judging the worthiness of a given charity...

buying artificial limbs for orphans versus re-fitting baby-seal hunters with clubs misplaced during the off-season...

jamie

Edited by NFA

My understanding of the gecoin policy is that in order to promote an ebay sale of any kind, charitable or otherwise, the coin for sale must be trackable on gc.com.

Jaime is correct. In order to promote an ebay sale of any kind, charitable or otherwise, the coin for sale must be trackable on geocaching.com

-Bryan

Jaime is correct. In order to promote an ebay sale of any kind, charitable or otherwise, the coin for sale must be trackable on geocaching.com

-Bryan

I kind of figured as much, but was hoping otherwise. Thanks for the prompt reply Bryan.