New Geocoin Policy

Keystone

A serious question. Really.

With the recent moderator editing of posts to remove references to other coin trading and discussion steps, is there any reason to believe that this might be carried out to other discussion forums?

I heard (but never saw) discussions about other listing sites such as navicache.com were not allowed in the past.

If a thread starts to talk about (not with the intention to promote) navicache.com or terracaching.com will that thread get moderated too?

Maybe that already happens, and I've never seen it.

ChileHead - I'd suggest that you post that question in the General Geocaching thread for an answer from TPTB there.

Some of us hubmle folk here are just responsible for the coins. :drama:

It doesn't mention anything about discussing designs or what anyone thinks of a particular potential coin (trackable or not) it is only discussing the trade and sale issues of coins.

I suppose that design doesn't fit with the intention of the forum:

While the intention of this forum is to discuss the Geocaching related aspects of geocoins (movements, tracking.); we realize that the trading and collecting of them is quite popular.

But I think that discussing potential coin designs needs to be addressed. If we are to be allowed to sell trackable coins here, isn't it in everyones best interest to make a well liked coin? As well as guage trade interest in coins as well?

So, here are official questions on the new guidelines:

1: Can we only discuss designs of coins that will be trackable?

2: If I'm offering a non-trackable coin for trade can I post its image (within acceptable community standards of course)

3: If I'm working on a non-trackable coin, can I solicit design comments/critisism?

Could someone post if this is being discussed by the moderators? I know there are alot of messages flying through here, many of them aren't specific questions, so some of the question posts are easily overlooked.

Maybe a quick post that the questions have been seen and will be answered in the future might help so that they don't get repeated or have others think the question is being ignored? (when it was just legitimately not seen)

Thanks.

edit:

3a: does it matter if in addition to trading the coin here, I may sell it elsewhere at a later time (provided I'm not mentioning the sale, or linking, or otherwise alluding to the sale? and otherwise follow the guidelines?)

Edited by Not So Lost Puppies
One of the considerations in developing the new policy for the Geocoins Forum was the practical ability of the moderating team to enforce the policy fairly and efficiently. For example, one of the reasons that charity auctions are now allowed is that it's awfully difficult to distinguish between a link to eBay for a charity auction vs. a link to eBay for a coin sold to help finance your purchase of more geocoins, or a motorcycle. We have better things to do than to investigate every eBay link. Once a person has a trackable coin that is eligible for sale (they own it, it's unactivated, or the owner consents), then the purpose of the sale becomes irrelevant.

Certainly there are other and more important considerations, but the ability to enforce a policy was definitely a factor.

That's fine, then how do you plan on moderating if I'm charging shipping and handling to give my non-GC.com-trackable coins out for free?

What about topics that claim to be trades but are really soliciting buyers via private communications?

While you and the rest of the Watering Hole Gang may have *thought* your ability to enforce this new policy was manageable, I just don't expect it to be so if people *want* to sell their non-GC.com-trackable coins here.

There is no logistical difference between trading or selling coins and so if you're going to close off one, I think you may quickly find you'll have to close the other.

Even in trades, two coins may not be equal in cost. People will adjust trades with money or even say "you know what...nevermind about that one, just give me $5 and my coin is your's".

If you thought ever non-GC.com-trackable coin sales post in the future was just going to say: "Hey, come buy my coin!" and you could easily shut down the use of this forum as a place for free marketing, I think you'll end up sadly disappointed.

Could someone post if this is being discussed by the moderators? I know there are alot of messages flying through here, many of them aren't specific questions, so some of the question posts are easily overlooked.

Maybe a quick post that the questions have been seen and will be answered in the future might help so that they don't get repeated or have others think the question is being ignored? (when it was just legitimately not seen)

Thanks.

edit:

3a: does it matter if in addition to trading the coin here, I may sell it elsewhere at a later time (provided I'm not mentioning the sale, or linking, or otherwise alluding to the sale? and otherwise follow the guidelines?)

NSLP - yes, this is being looked at and discussed.

Sorry, have to wade through a lot of BS right now.

One of the considerations in developing the new policy for the Geocoins Forum was the practical ability of the moderating team to enforce the policy fairly and efficiently.  For example, one of the reasons that charity auctions are now allowed is that it's awfully difficult to distinguish between a link to eBay for a charity auction vs. a link to eBay for a coin sold to help finance your purchase of more geocoins, or a motorcycle.  We have better things to do than to investigate every eBay link.  Once a person has a trackable coin that is eligible for sale (they own it, it's unactivated, or the owner consents), then the purpose of the sale becomes irrelevant.

Certainly there are other and more important considerations, but the ability to enforce a policy was definitely a factor.

That's fine, then how do you plan on moderating if I'm charging shipping and handling to give my non-GC.com-trackable coins out for free?

What about topics that claim to be trades but are really soliciting buyers via private communications?

While you and the rest of the Watering Hole Gang may have *thought* your ability to enforce this new policy was manageable, I just don't expect it to be so if people *want* to sell their non-GC.com-trackable coins here.

There is no logistical difference between trading or selling coins and so if you're going to close off one, I think you may quickly find you'll have to close the other.

Even in trades, two coins may not be equal in cost. People will adjust trades with money or even say "you know what...nevermind about that one, just give me $5 and my coin is your's".

If you thought ever non-GC.com-trackable coin sales post in the future was just going to say: "Hey, come buy my coin!" and you could easily shut down the use of this forum as a place for free marketing, I think you'll end up sadly disappointed.

OK, I didn't follow my own advice.

1. Why are you so busy pointing out loopholes?

2. Does it really bother you that much?

3. Is selling non-trackable geocoins your only source of income?

4. Is this really affecting your quality of life that much?

5. Or, do you just enjoy using a big stick to continually stir the pot?

perhaps a new thread with just Questions should be opened by a moderator and all non question crud deleted? I'm sure some of us here would be happy to sift and transfer true questions over. Let this thread sink into the quagmire.

Thought this was a Q&A thread, not ask us the questions we want asked and we will answer, maybe if we feel it is pertinent. If not we will just edit or delete your posts or ban you from any further posting.

I thought Phoenix Rose asked some very good and pertinent questions and yet has still gone unanswered. :drama:

I don't expect immediate answers to all the questions. We are likely bringing up some issues that they hadn't fully thought through yet and they need to decide on what the answer will be.

Remember it isn't the moderators that are making up the guidelines as we go along. They can't (shouldn't) give an answer until they know it is the official answer.

That was why I requested just a quick post that the question has been seen. I don't even mind if it takes a day or so if I know they are discussing it.

(Thanks for having done that FSM)

...5. Or, do you just enjoy using a big stick to continually stir the pot?

Some peole like to debate, or stir the pot. Others like you seem to like to poke things with a stick. Not quite pot stirring but not quite friendly either.

To be fair I do both.

When you make new rules you need to hash them out. That's not up for debate it's a fact. You can hash them behind closed doors like the mods hopefully did before they are public, then you can do it again when you go live. If you did a good job it goes well. If you didn't it doesn't. The hashing can take place over years, or over weeks. But it's going to get hashed.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I don't get it. Those coins can be sold and traded here. Where's the beef?

The fundamental problem is that for the most part Groundspeak /geocaching.com had has a very strong anti-commercial anti profit public face. This seems to be contrary to how people have viewed Groundspeak. It is effectively a new face. <_<

. . . and I am one who has no real problem with the policy, but it is kind of like marrying a democrat and then after the ceremony finding out your new spouse is really a republican. There is still love there, but the new orientation is going to take some getting used to.

This is weird. I mean really really weird. Twilight Zone weird.

I have to say that I was pulled kicking and screaming into the concept of trackable geocoins.

Now that they have arrived, we have continued to loosen the guidelines for minting and distribution of geocoins. It first started out that only organizations could do it, and now we allow people to create their own personal geocoins. And, by popular demand, we opened up a new forum section just to discuss them.

If anything, this new anti-mooching policy should be welcomed. If people want to create a side business that is fine, but why you should expect to be able to use the Geocaching.com forums for free marketing of these coins is just plain silly. I'm not even sure why you believe you would be entitled to do so.

Oh I don't know. maybe we thought that since we pay our $30/yr to be members of this site and that we create personal coins because of it to be a reflection of US and our hobby that we could discuss/trade/sell them on this site without some greedy fools wanting even MORE money form us.

I like this site, and i would like to have just 1 place to do everything and not have to goto 10 different forums/websites.

Oh I don't know. maybe we thought that since we pay our $30/yr to be members of this site and that we create personal coins because of it to be a reflection of US and our hobby that we could discuss/trade/sell them on this site without some greedy fools wanting even MORE money form us.

Please refrain from personal attacks.

From the guidelines:

"Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated."

You are free to express your opinion, but please do so within the confines of the guidelines.

- FSM

Okay,

After a lot of reflecting on the new guidelines it seems there will be very little change.

I just want to make sure I am reading it correctly.

The only changes I see

Commercial coin companies (who will make a nice profit) are allowed to sell trackable coins for cachers and may be linked here.

Personal non trackable coins may be listed here but may not be posted as ordering threads unless it is for trades.

It seems to me a fine line and will require a lot of moderator time.I strongly believe that any coin enhances the game and adds to the fabric of the community at large. Trackable on non trackable any coin adds to the demand. That is why they are so popular.

I know that this thread is being monitored by a lot of powers that be and I can only ask that you reconsider the policy and keep this site open and welcoming.

Question:

If JoeCacher puts out his new non-trackable personal geocoin for trade only, and I have nothing to trade, can I email him to ask if I can purchase one?

Obviously this can't be monitored (well ....) so it's a rhetorical question. But does Groundspeak not want this to happen? If they found out JoeCacher had been contacted by 50 other cachers interested in purchases, would his thread be closed down?

I see posts that say "trade only" are going to start really meaning "will trade if you have something I want, email me privately if you want to buy".

ChileHead Posted on Jan 22 2006, 09:04 AM

Question:

If JoeCacher puts out his new non-trackable personal geocoin for trade only, and I have nothing to trade, can I email him to ask if I can purchase one?

Obviously this can't be monitored (well ....) so it's a rhetorical question. But does Groundspeak not want this to happen? If they found out JoeCacher had been contacted by 50 other cachers interested in purchases, would his thread be closed down?

I see posts that say "trade only" are going to start really meaning "will trade if you have something I want, email me privately if you want to buy".

ChileHead,

This is my point about change.

As far as I can tell the only thing you can't do is OFFER to sell your personal non trackable coin. What people do and offer you in a private communication is your business and really can't be regulated.

See the Tacomahunter thread for an example of the new rules.Note the extra work required by the moderators to keep it legal

OK, I have a question that I didn't see upstream.

We are producing a series of County coins for Washington State. Before the new guidelines came into effect, we announed the first coin, and its price, and had intrested parties e-mail us.

Can I still do this? If not, what do I have to do?

This series is not trackable.

This was also the intended plan for our proposed (non-trackable) Hazards of Geocaching series.

I know you folks are busy living your lives, but I was wondering if anything has been determined regarding my question?

Thanks.

OK, I have a question that I didn't see upstream.

We are producing a series of County coins for Washington State. Before the new guidelines came into effect, we announed the first coin, and its price, and had intrested parties e-mail us.

Can I still do this? If not, what do I have to do?

This series is not trackable.

This was also the intended plan for our proposed (non-trackable) Hazards of Geocaching series.

I know you folks are busy living your lives, but I was wondering if anything has been determined regarding my question?

Thanks.

If it's not trackable, then it's not okay to announce the sale here. That's my read on it. If you do, then the specifics will be edited out, from what I've seen.

--Marky

Some answers:

Let me start by noting that prior to releasing the policy, a last minute decision was made to allow the trading of non-trackable coins. This was done in order to encourage the creation and use of non-trackable coins while still limiting sales of coins in the Groundspeak forums to those that were trackable.

Sure, people might try to work around those rules and some, or most, might actually get away with it. However, those who use the forums to promote the sale of their non-trackable coins and get caught will be punished somehow. Hopefully the threat of punishment will be enough of a deterrent. If not, it is our problem to address.

So, here is an answer to some of the questions:

2: If I'm offering a non-trackable coin for trade can I post its image (within acceptable community standards of course)

3: If I'm working on a non-trackable coin, can I solicit design comments/critisism?

1. If the coin will eventually be sold, then you can only discuss designs of coins that will be trackable. Otherwise, we will consider it promotion of the coin. If the coin will not be sold, then you can discuss the design.

Note: If we find out that you sold a non-trackable coin after promoting it (through the use of design input solicitation) in the Groundspeak geocoin forums, you will be subject to moderation, the severity of which will solely depend on our perception of the intent of your action.

2. Yes. Same Note above applies.

3. Yes, unless the coin will be sold. Please refer to the answer to #1.

So, if a non trackable coin is intended to be sold there is never to be a mention of that coin?

What about coins that were intended to be sold that were announced before this new policy came into play? How are we to tell the people who expressed interest in it that it's available?

If we can't utter the words 'nontrackable' or 'for sale' on the GS forums can we announce that information on a coin is available on a different web site? Or should we just open up an GeoCoins For Sale yahoo group now and avoid the rush?

So, if a non trackable coin is intended to be sold there is never to be a mention of that coin?

What about coins that were intended to be sold that were announced before this new policy came into play? How are we to tell the people who expressed interest in it that it's available?

If we can't utter the words 'nontrackable' or 'for sale' on the GS forums can we announce that information on a coin is available on a different web site? Or should we just open up an GeoCoins For Sale yahoo group now and avoid the rush?

1. Correct. However, if it is only intended to be traded, then feel free to discuss it.

2. If they have already been produced, mentioning them will be permitted under the grandfathering exception posted previously. See #3 (click here)

3. No, announcing that information on a coin is available on a different web site would be promoting the sales of the coin, in violation of the new policy. A Geocoins For Sale yahoo group is fine.

2.  If they have already been produced, mentioning them will be permitted under the grandfathering exception posted previously.  See #3 (click here)

Just to make sure I'm 100% crystal clear on this and to avoid little green frogs with pitchforks and torches coming to my house.....

The Washington State County coin #2 was in production (I had paid for them and they were starting to mint them) when the new rule was announced so I can announce that this coin is for sale at X amount of dollars?

The #3 coin in this series has not been sent to the minters yet but the concept art is finished... so can this be announced?

The Hazards of Caching series...well, coin number 1 conception art was at the minters for the first rough draft but production hasn't started. I'm a little fuzzy on this one. It was in the process of being made but it hadn't actually 'gone to press' yet. How about that one? Can I offer it for sale or would it be better to announce that we are in the middle of production and interested parties can email us for information?

"Already been produced" is a little vague to me. I consider already been produced as me contacting the manufacturer and asking for the first rough art of my idea. That, to me is, "in production".

I thought I understood the new policy, now I guess I didn't.

Originally the policy said announcement of non trackable for trade was ok but sale was not.

Now it appears if I announce a coin for trade only, but somebody asks privately if they can buy one, I have to say no or risk the consequences?

I also can't announce the coin here for trades and at the same time announce the coin elsewhere for sale?

I also can't announce the coin here for trades and at the same time announce the coin elsewhere for sale?

I think you can have it here for trade and for sale somewhere else BUT you may not put in the thread here anything about that other thread with them for sale.

At least thats how I understood it.... :):):)

That's what I'm getting.

I also think any coin you own and are willing to trade regardless of it's original birth is valid. Just because someone else sold the coin doesn't mean you can't buy it for trading fodder. :D

Rothstafari Posted on Jan 25 2006, 10:51 AM

1. If the coin will eventually be sold, then you can only discuss designs of coins that will be trackable. Otherwise, we will consider it promotion of the coin. If the coin will not be sold, then you can discuss the design.

Note: If we find out that you sold a non-trackable coin after promoting it (through the use of design input solicitation) in the Groundspeak geocoin forums, you will be subject to moderation, the severity of which will solely depend on our perception of the intent of your action.

I am so confused now.

Sure I can pay for the tracking on any new coin I produce and that makes this whole point moot but the way I understood the policy was that SELLING was the only thing prohibited about non trackable coins.

I thought this forum was about Geocoins.If you prohibit me from discussing and posting about a personal coin that I might sell somewhere else I find that to be censorship at its worst.

My intention is producing coins that promote geocaching by being collected or placed in caches.

I now have through trades of my non trackable coins 30 GC trackable coins.It seems to me that does contribute to Groundspeak.

ParentsofSAM Posted on Jan 25 2006, 12:00 PM

QUOTE (ChileHead @ Jan 25 2006, 11:35 AM)

I think you can have it here for trade and for sale somewhere else BUT you may not put in the thread here anything about that other thread with them for sale.

At least thats how I understood it....     

Is this correct?

Am I allowed to sell a non trackable coin that I discussed and posted to this forum through other means.ie. Ebay?

Not according to this:

This to me, says if you talked about a coin (either soliciting input or offering for trade) and it was sold either from direct inquiries or on one of the other coin forums, I'm getting get a beating.

Not according to this:

This to me, says if you talked about a coin (either soliciting input or offering for trade) and it was sold either from direct inquiries or on one of the other coin forums, I'm getting get a beating.

OK so you read it like this:

If your non-trackable coin is going to be for SALE ANYWHERE then its design, details, pictures and/or trade information may NEVER be posted in this forum.

I read it like this:

If you plan to sell AND trade your coin ONLY trade offers may be made and accepted through this forum and then you have sales through a different venue (be it another forum or ebay or whatever). It would still be ok to the coin post here for the trade part, not the design or more information part.

This needs some clarification, for sure.

It is always good to get answers but the answer that you get are not always good.

Aren't signature items meant to be put in caches? Or are you speaking of individual GREED here? If it was so innocent they would be happy to sell them at cost, right?

I've been reading and not posting because I don't really have a firm opinion on this. But yeah, I sold my personal coins here at cost. And paid myself for all the ones I've been putting in caches. That was my understanding of how it works with personal sig items. What's your point?

I agree with ChileHead - it seems clear that asking for design input of your nontrackable coin here and selling it elsewhere, or soliciting trades of your non-trackable here and selling it elsewhere will incur the wrath of the frog -> :)

Rothstafari wrote:

If the coin will eventually be sold, then you can only discuss designs of coins that will be trackable. Otherwise, we will consider it promotion of the coin. If the coin will not be sold, then you can discuss the design.

Shop99er asked:

Rothstafari replied:

Correct.

If your non-trackable coin is going to be for SALE ANYWHERE then its design, details, pictures and/or trade information may NEVER be posted in this forum.

I read it like this:

If you plan to sell AND trade your coin ONLY trade offers may be made and accepted through this forum and then you have sales through a different venue (be it another forum or ebay or whatever). It would still be ok to the coin post here for the trade part, not the design or more information part.

It is always good to get answers but the answer that you get are not always good.

I am fairly certain that you are incorrect in your assumtion. The wording is pretty clear that if it is sold ANYWHERE, it shouldn't be discussed here if it isn't trackable.

If the coin will eventually be sold, then you can only discuss designs of coins that will be trackable.

If it is not trackable and you discuss it here, you WILL be in trouble of you decide to sell it later, no matter where it is sold. I think it is safer to just not discuss any design that you might potentially sell, unless you plan on having it be trackable on geocaching.com.

--Marky

ParentsofSAM Posted on Jan 25 2006, 02:17 PM

I read it like this:

This is muddy water.Can a moderator clarify?

I am fairly certain that you are incorrect in your assumtion. The wording is pretty clear that if it is sold ANYWHERE, it shouldn't be discussed here if it isn't trackable.

If it is not trackable and you discuss it here, you WILL be in trouble of you decide to sell it later, no matter where it is sold.

I think it is safer to just not discuss any design that you might potentially sell, unless you plan on having it be trackable on geocaching.com.

--Marky

Marky is correct.

If the non-trackable coin will be sold anywhere, then it should not be discussed or otherwise promoted here.

Here's a question that I don't know if address.

If someone has a version of their coin that is for trade only, but sold one metal type elsewhere. Can that person post on these forums that this metal version is for "trade only" and not mention the version that was sold?

If the coin was already sold, and was sold out, then I would think that you could safely post to the pinned trade topic regarding your "for trade only LE version". Kind of like how the DNF coins are all sold and paid for, but I posted an image of the glow in the dark version that was for trades only. If the other version is still for sale, I'd probably not risk posting the LE version for trade.

--Marky

I am fairly certain that you are incorrect in your assumtion.  The wording is pretty clear that if it is sold ANYWHERE, it shouldn't be discussed here if it isn't trackable.

If it is not trackable and you discuss it here, you WILL be in trouble of you decide to sell it later, no matter where it is sold. 

I think it is safer to just not discuss any design that you might potentially sell, unless you plan on having it be trackable on geocaching.com.

--Marky

Marky is correct.

If the non-trackable coin will be sold anywhere, then it should not be discussed or otherwise promoted here.

Lets say I design a non-trackable coin, and plan on selling some of them, and trading some of them. I cannot mention it here because some will be sold. No design input, nothing. correct? Not even trade offers in the trading thread? even if the sale is Never mentioned here?

If I make it for trade only, can I sell a couple of them on e-bay (not mentioning the auction or intent of auction here at all) and still discuss the coin here? say I e-bay 10 of a 100 coin run to try and get my investment back, or to donate to a charity, etc. does that violate the guidelines?

Or is the ONLY way a non-trackable coin can be discussed in these forums if it is 100% traded, none are sold by the creator?

What about AFTER it is all sold out, can anything about the coin be discussed here, such as trading the ones that weren't offered for sale?

3.  No, announcing that information on a coin is available on a different web site would be promoting the sales of the coin, in violation of the new policy.  A Geocoins For Sale yahoo group is fine.

Once again I'm hazy....

Can I announce the Hazards of Caching series of coins (which was announced before the new policy) is going to be available on a Hazards of Caching Yahoo group and direct them to the group or to Yahoo in general?

In other words can I say....

"The Hazards of Caching geocoin series will be available at the Hazards of Caching Geocoin group on yahoo.com. Please join that list for information. (insert image of the first coin here)"

Yes or no?

Frankly it's getting to tiresome to try to figure out what you can and can't do on the forums anymore. I'd rather open a yahoo group, forward people there and just have done with it.