New Geocoin Policy

Keystone

Once upon a time a man hid a container in the woods and marked a waypoint. Soon GEOCACHING.COM was born. It was FREE! It grew and grew. Guidelines were written for hiding caches. Over time as certain regulations from land managers came to light the guidelines were tweaked to allow for these regulations. Along came a guy with a brilliant idea fro a signature item, a coin! It's lovely! It's shiny! It represented a cacher and people wanted it. Then before we knew it another coin came out, then another and another and another and a few minutes later the world was filling up with a coin from every cacher who had the means to make one. Suddenly they wanted to not just put them in caches, but make enough to spread their coins out to all, and before you know it GEOCACHING.COM gave us the geocoin forums and some guidelines to follow. And it was still free! And still they grew and grew. Bigger and better servers were needed along the way, and they were added, thanks to valued premium members thinking that $2.50 a month was not too much to pay to keep the site running. But suddenly GEOCACHING.COM turned into GEO CASH IN .com and everyone wanted to use this site for their free marketing. The site managers had to rewrite the guidelines to absorb this new phenomenon yet again, and to protect their right to keep their forums a place for discussion, not free advertising. People didn't like change, so instead of waiting for the dust to settle and to form an understanding of the new guidelines, out came the angry mob with their pitchforks and torches. I thought I might have to run and hide! This is supposed to be a game! A sport! A hobby where I am the search engine! Coins were just a spin off from this hobby and it took off like a beanie baby out of heck! Hardly anybody was stopping to take a breath and let the transition happen smoothly. Geocides started occurring right and left. That was sad. That shouldn't happen in this happy place.

The moral of this story, really, I guess is that if you have a question, please ask it. Don't jump to conclusions and wait for the answers. You can't have your answer in 5 minutes, as much as we all like sitting in front of a monitor all day, we have our lives to lead, and we volunteer our time to answer, when we can afford to give up some of our free time to these forums. I know certain mods have given way, way more than anyone humanly should to take up the slack where needed. So please folks, a little patience, a little understanding and it should all work out for most people. It is geocaching.com after all. Coins are just a fast growing part of the game. and they are really relatively new, so as I've stated before, Rome was not built in a day!

Thanks for letting me vent.

By the way.

Unless I read the guidelines wrong, I am very pleased with one outcome of the rule change.

Passing Wind and Caching Widow have comeup with a great design for the "Bikedog Memorial" geocoin. Since our plan, and Jerry's families wishes are to make this a trackable coin, it appears the new rules will work in our favor.

I was worried we would not be able to list the sale on this site, since we are selling them for a charitible cause. However, unless I missed something, we will now be able to sell this coin on this site, assuming we get approval of the design, and are able to get the tracking numbers.

You are correct.

This forum may be used for selling, trading or giving away of geocoins which are trackable on Geocaching.com. This includes any trackable coin produced by an individual, business or geocaching organization. Non-trackable coins may be posted for trade by individual coin owners. The proceeds from a permitted coin sale can be used for any purpose, such as personal profit, support of a geocaching organization, or to benefit a charitable cause.

And Cornerstone brings up a good point.

We're talking about coins here. Let's not forget the big picture that we recently lost one of our own. Let's remember what's really important.

When we've asked for time to "let the dust settle" it doesn't mean we're skirting the issue and hoping for it to go away. It means that we'd like time for everybody to think about this before making knee-jerk reactions and acting upon things that have JUST been put forth.

P.S. Good luck catching me with that pitchfork. Spaghetti and forks don't always play nice together! :anitongue:

Edit: typos.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster
This I don't understand... Boycotting would make a differance if we could get enough people to stand up and say "We're not going to take this". It will take money out of Groundspeaks pocket instead of adding to it like the new forum rules seem to be trying to do?

Have a look at the post two down from you. You don't boycott Groundpeak you must boycott the people that sell the coin. Are you willing to do that? Are you willing to boycott the Bikedog Memorial coin.

The coin community has decided the relative worth of coins. They did that before these guidelines. Except for a few coins are you willing to trade a trackable/Icon coin for a personal non trackable. In most cases I don't believe you will. So therefore the coin collecting community has decided relative worth. The explosion of trackable coins was a result of this relative worth.

The whole point I am trying to make is that in the big scheme of things the posting of the sale on non trackable coins in this forum is a small price to pay to keep the community together and evolving. Also forcing these coins which have a place in the community away from this site means there is less control over what is offerred. At least if they were allowed here then inapropriate use of logos etc can be controlled.

If you disagree with the guidelines of this forum then stop using it to find the coins you are willing to buy and sell whether they are trackable or not. You will not stop the coins.

Well, I have been reading this on and off all day, but was too busy to post.

I agree with Cornerstone4's post here . I have little doubt that people will easily find and buy non-trackable coins without advertsing them here. It just seems like a small issue to me. Groundspeak had reasons for the policy and in many ways I think the policy relaxes things on other issues that I am quite happy about. The sky is not falling. There are some beneficial things in the policy and I think it is workable and reasonable.

As for people calling for boycotts: It seems like an over-reaction. As I and others have said, finding non-trackable coins elsewhere is not hard. Finally, it wouldn't work for a variety of reasons that people have already stated.

Anyway, I was thinking that if I can ever afford it I will make a coin, and for personal monetary reasons it likely will not be trackable (nor pre-sold, I would actually use it for putting in caches). So if I do that in the future please don't think I am part of a boycott. I am not.

Edited by carleenp
I see a drop in the amount of tracking numbers Groundspeak will sell in the near future.
I see a small increase in the amount of tracking numbers Groundspeak will sell in the near, medium and long future.

People who were gonna use tracking numbers will still do so.

People who were hesitant about using tracking numbers or not will probably do so,

so that they can still promote them here.

Getting back to the Q/A I have some Qs.

I've read the linked guidelines, and this post by Roth. I understand that you cannon sell a non(gc)-trackable coin here. And that you cannot post a link to any commerical sites / advertise for other commerical sites. But can this forum be used for gathering ideas / advce for coins, input for coin designs, gauging interest? or does this depend on wither the coin is/will be gc.com trackable?

The guidelines post seems to apply to only selling and trading, not nessecerly creating making me thing it would ok for non-trackable coins up until the coin is ready for reservations/ordering. But the later post brings up the issue of bandwith/forum usage without (direct) benefit to Groundspeak, so maybe anything related to non-trackable coins is prohibited??

My other question is, how do the guidelines relate to the other forums (gc.com forums). The guidelines for this forum say these guidelines apply only here... If I can't sell my personal non-trackable coin here, can I sell them in the garage sale forum? I'm not a company/commerical venture, but does selling several on the same thing violate the garage sales forum guidelines about no business postings?

(no I don't have any coins of any sort, now or anytime in the planned future, I just think someone will try this and I want to know if its legit)

Sorry Welch, your legitimate questions seem to have been overlooked among all the speechifying, pro and con. Since there has been precious few "Q's," I am happy to provide "A's."

Talking about geocoins -- designing them, trading them, moving them from cache to cache -- is the primary purpose of this forum. Threads like "what's your favorite metal?" and "things you'd like to see on a coin" are fine examples of general threads. I won't attempt to define the upper limits of that type of discussion. At some point a thread or a post crosses the line into solicitation and the guidelines kick in.

As for your second question, the new Geocoin Forum guidelines in the pinned thread say that they apply only in here. They are special rules. If someone opens a geocoin-thread in another forum, a moderator for that forum will move it to the proper forum. The Geocoin Forum moderators will then apply the specific rules for this forum, as well as the general forum guidelines. So, you cannot get around a restriction by posting elsewhere. One exception to this: A trackable Geocoin can be cross-posted to the appropriate national or regional section of the Groundspeak Forums. It is fine to post a thread in the Great Plains Forum about a new trackable Iowa Geocoin.

Untrackable coins should not be subject to approval by anyone.

:anitongue: Am I to understand that if I want to make a personal coin and have it NOT be trackable I still have to have the artwork approved by Groundspeak even if I just want to trade within these forums. :laughing:

If this is true then will I have to pay a service fee to get approval of the artwork so that Groundspeak can still make a buck off me.

:anitongue: Am I to understand that if I want to make a personal coin and have it NOT be trackable I still have to have the artwork approved by Groundspeak even if I just want to trade within these forums. :laughing:

If this is true then will I have to pay a service fee to get approval of the artwork so that Groundspeak can still make a buck off me.

No, Groundspeak only requires design approval for trackable coins.

Geocoin designs which bear the geocaching.com logo remain subject to the geocaching.com logo usage guidelines.

Note that any coin posted with an offensive design may be removed my the forum moderators.

No, this is not true.

Approvals are needed only for trackable coins. You are free to post your personal coin for trade here without needing to get approval on the design.

I think somebody went off on a tangent there.

Be sure to check the guidelines before taking what anybody says here as accurate. There's some heated discussion and nobody should act (or react) to mis-information. Knowledge is power; be strong! :laughing:

- FSM

"Non-trackable coins may be posted for trade by individual coin owners."

Edit: Man, he's quick!

The only coins that are tradable/sellable here are the ones that pony up your ransom. :anitongue:

Email me a copy of your house keys and I'll put up a room for rent on craigs list.

We have been PREMIUM members for over 2 years, I thought that meant we WERE helping you pay the bandwidth. We were glad to do it since, we enjoyed this game, sport, whatever so much.

I never knew the word "geocide" existed.

I believe Eartha may have unknowingly contributed to the design that someone will undoubtedly use for a memorial coin of this event.

I'm sitting here looking through my collection and I see, "Screw Geocoins! Let's go find some caches!" I think that's what I'm gonna do.

Last one to the ammo can is a rotten egg!

<edit: spelling>

Edited by ScoutingWV
Ok a specific question.

What is the thought patterns/discussions for the bar on non trackable coins?

Please don't answer bandwidth issues.

As I see it, it is like this...

These forums are here for us to use to enhance our enjoyment of our sport. At first, the only real activity as far as coins were concerned, was trading of personal sig items. Not that long ago, it was unheard of for someone to sell a personal coin.

When I had mine made in August or so of 2005, I ended up selling some since I had trouble justifying the entire expense. Now, rather than pay for all of my coins, I bought more than I needed to get the per-coin price down to where I could afford to trade them away. Then, I sold the rest. Believe it or not, I took a bit of heat from others on these forums. I was basically told, that if I couldn't afford to buy my own coins, then I shouldn't have made them in the first place.

Well, I wasn't the first to sell them, and I obviously wasn't the last either.

Since then, it has become more of the norm rather than the exception.

Recently however, it has evolved beyond that. Now, there are several coin manufacturers that will make your coins at no cost to you. They give you some, then sell the rest to cover costs, and make a profit. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that. Once again, let market forces prevail.

However! Where do you draw the line? For many, it has gone beyond making a sig item, and is now about making money. Should groundpeak offer these companies a free storefront to sell their goods? It doesn't happen anywhere else, so why do we expect it here.

Some people will be at a disadvantage with the new policy, but can you imaging the headaches if you tried to allow non-trackables that are purely personal, but not allow ones that are deemed "commercial"? If you do that, then we will all be reading countless threads of people crying "foul" over the fact that someone deemed their coin too commercial. How many more moderators will it take to police and research all of this? Is this really better for the sport? You will never make everyone happy, it is a fact of life. In fact, some people probably don't care about this issue all that much. It's just another opportunity to cause strife. (No, I am not talking to you, and I'm not talking to you over there either! :anitongue: )

In the end, don't you think it is much easier to dis-allow all non-trackables for the time being, rather than create another monster? And let's not forget, you are still free to trade non-trackable coins here, just not sell them. Go to ebay and sell them, you will get more money there anyway.

I believe that "Open Forums" should be open. Police actions, especially of this highly focused sort simply put a stench into the air. And regardless of the opinions of whether coin trading vs. putting them in caches is right, wrong, or whatever, the point that should be addressed is the issue of "Open Posting."

So now as long as what you say passes muster with what must be a growing slate of moderators, Admins, Co-Admins or whatever following the new GC guidelines, you can post. But be careful what you say! A very big DOOR has been shut that, in my opinion, really makes the management of the GC forums seem rather chinsey in many respects.

Before you jump at me for my "vested interests", keep in mind "CoinsAndPins" also is stepping up with their own opinions, towing the line perfectly with GC for some interesting reason, likely because they are the "official" provider of geocoins. But I cannot be sure of that, I'm just speculating (not sure if that's allowed...)

Don't lose sight of the point here - these forums are now no longer "open" to discussions, and I believe, unfortunately, no matter what gets discussed in this particular thread, they will not be going back on their decision. That's how oligarchies always work.

Happy Trading!

--Marc

January 19, 2006 @ 9:14 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

Cornerstone 4. Is that the official response or a personal response???

I understand some of the reasoning you state but still at a loss for why I need the protection. I already recognise the people you are talking about and ignore for example their 5th personal coin release in a month. Just as I use the ignore listers feature in E-Bay when searching.

Wouldn't it be better to let the forum continue to evolve and bring the discussions under one spotlight. Wouldn't this then make it safer?

Here's what I don't get:

Some of you are willing to pay $3.00/month just to have your coins listed on a coin trading site and think that's OK, but having to pay to sell them here is not?

And the rationale behind this is.....???

Because the other sites have not pissed them off, thats why.

I think the bigger reason is the fact that $3.00 a month is a LOT easier to swallow than $1.50 per coin. If these other sites were charging $1.50 per coin to list, I bet they would be doing very little business.

So basically, if they had been charging all along (like other sites do), it would be ok, it's them realizing that they were behind in the game that is ticking everyone off so?

IMHO, it's not that they decided they were behind, it's the cost. If it were say $0.10 a coin or MAYBE even $0.25 per coin, that would be reasonable with all the coins that are being made. But to pay $1.50 per coin is..again, IMHO...crazy. All it does is drive up the cost of the coin from say $5.50 to $7.00, or $6.00 to $7.50. Is it worth it? Don't know, that number seems to make the coin more collectable. Will I put them on my coins when made? Probably, but not because I expect them to be tracked anywhere. Just because it helps them sell. <SIGH> Someone help me, I'm getting sucked towards the dark side! :anitongue:

Wow! This has been an intriguing debate to watch all day. I have to admit I see both sides.

From the GC side, they have built a pretty good product and should have a reasonable opportunity to benefit from their creativity and investments. A good business should have its eye on fiscal opportunity. I agree with that.

From a geocacher/geocoiner perspective, this site grew from a grass roots movement and a significant part of the opportunity arose from excitement and enthusiasm which included non-trackable geocoins (as it increased revisitation to this GC site versus another destination). I also agree with that.

I feel a lot of the frustration being voiced comes from the fact that as GC.com changes from a more altruistic perspective to a commercial perspective there are growing pains. Such growing pains are always magnified in a monopoly.

GC.com should be aware that increasing taxation in a monopoly should bring increased benefit. I continue to be shocked how little lobbying exists from this organization - that I can mountain bike on NPS land because IMBA lobbies but can't geocache because GC doesn't is appalling to me as a lot more of my money is going here than to IMBA. A connection to the expansion of the sport would go a long way for me. It also puzzles me that as this is increasingly becoming a business, why are there volunteers? While I sincerely appreciate cache submission reviewers and forum moderators, with so much money flying around why aren't they paid to support their time and attention?

Geocachers/geocoiners should be aware that GC.com is a pretty excellent site. Unless someone else can create a better mousetrap, expect to pay more. If you want that to change, a boycott is worthless - create competition.

I'll continue to watch the debate to see if this is jump the shark moment or if everyone will rebalance the benefits we have all come to enjoy.

people needed a forum to discuss coins, coin issues, work out issues and frustrations, find trades, discuss ideas and announce sales etc

The way I read the rules you can still do all of those things. The change made to this forum isn't really that huge....

You can still do most of those things. I'ts like buying a new car and learning that the passenger side door has no key slot. You could work around it but when it's raining and your date is soaking wet, it's just not that impressive.

I've asked permission for a coin series. We will see how that goes.

Edited by Renegade Knight
I believe that "Open Forums" should be open. Police actions, especially of this highly focused sort simply put a stench into the air. And regardless of the opinions of whether coin trading vs. putting them in caches is right, wrong, or whatever, the point that should be addressed is the issue of "Open Posting."

So now as long as what you say passes muster with what must be a growing slate of moderators, Admins, Co-Admins or whatever following the new GC guidelines, you can post. But be careful what you say! A very big DOOR has been shut that, in my opinion, really makes the management of the GC forums seem rather chinsey in many respects.

Before you jump at me for my "vested interests", keep in mind "CoinsAndPins" also is stepping up with their own opinions, towing the line perfectly with GC for some interesting reason, likely because they are the "official" provider of geocoins. But I cannot be sure of that, I'm just speculating (not sure if that's allowed...)

Don't lose sight of the point here - these forums are now no longer "open" to discussions, and I believe, unfortunately, no matter what gets discussed in this particular thread, they will not be going back on their decision. That's how oligarchies always work.

Happy Trading!

--Marc

January 19, 2006 @ 9:14 PM

Don't take this personally, but didn't your site come into existence because of these forums to begin with? I think it's safe to assume you're making at least a bit of profit as well, aren't you? And you should, because your site is extremely useful. I, for one enjoy browsing there!

But let's turn the tables and say you had forums in which one of YOUR "customers" found an enterprising way to branch off and start making their own money without paying you anything for the use of your forums as advertising space. I know I'd be somewhat motivated to protect my budding business as well.

Again, I don't have any personal problems with anyone here, and I'm certainly not taking sides, but some of these complaints are either based on a default mistrust of "the man", or the sudden stoppage in free advertising that led to some nice profits for some.

Jeebus knows we would all like our favorite things in life to be free, but that never seems to last forever.

That being said, I still thank everyone who's done anything off these boards to promote geocoins, and I'm sure folks will know where to go when they want to collect more.

Cheers!

Yime

Silvermarc-what do you mean "no longer open for discussions", it's been being discussed all day.  The took away the ability to sell non GC trackable coins, that's it.

I specifically said:

no longer "open" to discussions

That is not saying "no longer open to discussions"

Using the quotations around the word "open" indicates a tacit restatement of my opinion expressed about the nature of their suppression.

--Marc

January 19, 2006 @ 10:11 PM

Don't take this personally, but didn't your site come into existence because of these forums to begin with?  I think it's safe to assume you're making at least a bit of profit as well, aren't you?  And you should, because your site is extremely useful.  I, for one enjoy browsing there!

But let's turn the tables and say you had forums in which one of YOUR "customers" found an enterprising way to branch off and start making their own money without paying you anything for the use of your forums as advertising space.  I know I'd be somewhat motivated to protect my budding business as well.

Again, I don't have any personal problems with anyone here, and I'm certainly not taking sides, but some of these complaints are either based on a default mistrust of "the man", or the sudden stoppage in free advertising that led to some nice profits for some.

Jeebus knows we would all like our favorite things in life to be free, but that never seems to last forever.

That being said, I still thank everyone who's done anything off these boards to promote geocoins, and I'm sure folks will know where to go when they want to collect more.

Cheers!

Yime

<Content removed by moderator>

Happy Trading!

--Marc

January 19, 2006 @ 10:15 PM

ok, so are you saying that the users should get to create the rules?

Boy I wish I could do that in the workplace too!

My wife often does that too: Takes what I say that she disagrees with and extrapolates it to the most extreme example.

There are lots of viable stopping off points along the way from meritocracy to oligarchy. (Or vice versa).

--Marc

January 19, 2006 @ 10:28 PM

Just trying to get all this straight still.

Can I say that I have a personal coin that will be for sale soon but not give a place (in the forums) where it will be sold from?

Then it would be up to the "collectors" to scour the net looking for the sale site.

Am I close or way off on this? :anitongue:

the word "geocoin" will be replaced by "throat warbler mangrove" and any links you post must be in pig latin,

-ootray ogghay!

:laughing:

I was simply working with your extreme, but after re-reading I'm thinking you have a different agenda.

(And you should listen to your wife, we're generally right!)

Sorry-but using wording like "police action" kinda makes things seen in the exteme don't it?

Edited by Hula Bum

Hey, I think I just got smacked by a noodly appendage! Sorry, back OT!

Just trying to get all this straight still.

Can I say that I have a personal coin that will be for sale soon but not give a place (in the forums) where it will be sold from?

Then it would be up to the "collectors" to scour the net looking for the sale site.

Am I close or way off on this? 

I'm not an official, but from being on this thread all day long and seeing the rules hashed over, I'm thinking the answer is no. Unless of course it is a trackable coin. The line there of advertising is very thin, and GC is going to have to draw it pretty hard as not to have the playing favorites/subjective issues come up. But I'm sure we'll here more from TPTB in the near future about this.

Cornerstone 4. Is that the official response or a personal response???

I understand some of the reasoning you state but still at a loss for why I need the protection. I already recognise the people you are talking about and ignore for example their 5th personal coin release in a month. Just as I use the ignore listers feature in E-Bay when searching.

Wouldn't it be better to let the forum continue to evolve and bring the discussions under one spotlight. Wouldn't this then make it safer?

Totally a personal opinion.

I should also add, that my guess would be there will be future changes as well. The forums, as well as the game itself, will continue to evolve.

Wow! It looks like I've missed out on a lot of fun around here over the past few days. Glad my personal, non-trackable geocoins slipped through right before the hammer came down. :lol:

I do have a wonderful idea for Groundspeak. Could you enhance the trackability features of coins so that I can hunt down all the coins I've released that have been stolen by dishonest cachers. It'd be cool if I could just log into a realtime map of the world, with red blips showing where all my coins are. Then I could just cash in my skymiles (oops, did I just advertise for someone that competes with Groundspeak....sorry), and fly across the country after them. I'd love to see the look on JoeCacher's face (sorry if there really is a JoeCacher out there) when I rap on his door and ask for my coin back. Now that is a feature I'd pay $1.50 for. That way trackability would actually mean something other than "Let's see how many times my coin gets logged before it disappears forever." Oh, yeah, and if it disappears forever, don't think about turning it into a virtual coin, and using the tracking number you paid for, because that's illegal too. Maybe I'll just etch the tracking number for all my stolen trackable coins into a piece of solid waste (I refrained from using any inappropriate terminology :P ) and go dump it in a cache. That way I'm pretty sure no one would take them. Well, that pretty much sums up how I feel about the trackable vs. non-trackable issue. Trying to track a coin is like dropping a $5 bill in a cache, and expecting to know where it is in a month. When enhanced, radar-imaging trackability is initiated, count me in.

Thanks for the fun. I'm off to trade some coins in an open forum.

Peace Out. :lol:

No plans to quit here. Actually I was worried that they were going to ban links to all "hosted" sales. This policy went the other way, and since I plan to make my coins trackable the impact is low.

I can see the frustration with not being allowed to sell non-trackable coins. Given that non-trackable coins are up to 40% cheaper to make, and for some this is a HUGE deal. This policy will either push those coin makers away to another forum, or discourage them from making a coin all-together.

Either way its a loss to the community.

Either way its a loss to the community.

Agreed.

When I polled the community about the extra expense of adding tracking it was overwhelming against it.

Now, it seems, that Groundspeak is wanting to leverage something that, at least a while back, the community didn't want. Of course, things change and with everyone and their brother having their own icon everyone is wanting to jump on the bandwagon--most likely more into the icons than the coins.

But, you have to admit, AOL was built on the lowest common denominator, strict rules, and rampant commercialism. They built a huge company on the funds of those who didn't know any better. It's a good business model if you only care about the pursuit of money.

Of course, I'm noticing fewer references to "keywords" on commercials and a lot more AOL commercials...

Things just keep getting better and better! :lol:

Now GC.com has fired our UtahAdmin for being adacious enough to create an OPEN forum for geocoin discussions elsewhere (shouldn't they be happy that we're no longer stealing their precious bandwidth?)

GC Forum link

Sure there are other reasons cited, but I think we can all read between the lines.

Hey Admins and all you other important Groundspeak people, any update on the enhanced trackability geocoin system I asked about? :lol:

The thing that really lit my fire here, is the fact that TPTB alluded to the fact that WE should help fund the bandwidth of promoting the coin sales (even if it is a break-even venture). In some small degree, I can understand this concept, but to tie the $1.50 per coin tracking charge to bandwidth costs, is ridiculous. On a 1000 coin run, that's an additional $1500. Bandwidth overall is cheap these days, and a couple hundred posts with coin requests hardly justifies the comparison that would make each post worth about $2-7 in bandwidth if using only that correlation.

Activity on other forums, such as OT were mentioned in a way that somewhat ties to my argument. Yet those who post there aren't charged anything for the ability to post.

Edited by Brian - Team A.I.