New Geocoin Policy

Keystone

As per the new guidelines, I finally get to tell someone to post a link!

"This forum may be used for selling, trading or giving away of geocoins which are trackable on Geocaching.com. This includes any trackable coin produced by an individual, business or geocaching organization."

So if your coin IS trackable, as you say (and I quote you: This is a fully geocaching.com trackable, custom icon, geographic geocoin.) then go ahead and post a link.

Coins that aren't trackable need permission, send the email as the Flying Spaghetti Monster described above.

Permission requests may be sent to bizdev (at) Groundspeak.com

This may help with some questions.

Edited by Ladycacher & Boys
Maybe it's time to start up our own forum for geocoins buying and selling where we can post what we want without gc having to have their hand in everything. I personally will not pay anymore money to gc for anything. I already have to pay them the $3.00 a month for the "priveledge" of using their site. I'm not going to have them dictate how and who's coins I will collect as well.

I wonder how long till the rest of the geocoin collecters get tired of it as well. :lol::lol::ph34r:

Oh come on . . You are complaining about the $30.00 a year, which is really only $2.50 a month for the ablity to play the game. That is a cheap shot. I think it is a bargin.

I see this as the beginning to the end of coins. This is nothing more than attempt for GC to control everything.

This web site was suppose to remain free to use from the beginning of time. Slowly but surely they have started to milk us from our dough $1.50 at a time. It is all about the money now not just the promoting of the sport.

Another step in the wrong direction :ph34r: !

I have no interest in Groundspeak or geocaching.com nor does anyone I know. But this kind of post drives me nuts. Who you you think pays for all the work and bandwidth for this service. Can I send you my bill for $30.00 annually so it is still free to me, or will you fund the operation so they can provide the services, come on.

I'm supposed to be paying someone $3.00 a month for the privelage of using the site? Whoops, I missed that. For those that are new and reading this thread, you can play and cruise for free still, paying has its benefits, but it is optional.

Sorry, back on topic now, we're here to discuss the new rules for geocoins.

(Disclaimer-Only my opinion)

As for someone who has only put out GC.com trackable coin up until now, I agree with the policy on the coin making companies should not be able to mass advertise in these forums but on the other hand I disagree that the sales of personal non-trackable coins shouldn't be allowed. As I can vouch for, alot of folks don't and can't afford to go out and buy extra coins for trade bait so the way the policy is now they wouldn't have the opportunity to get the chance to add that coin to their collection. Non-trackable personal coins should be allowed to be sold, traded and given away but not by the companies that are minting the coins. We don't get every coin that is produced but it is a good thing to be able to come in here and decide and we love seeing all the creativity that the folks in these forums have as far as the designs and ideas for coins trackable or not.

I think that if a coin has something to do with caching or happens to be a cachers signature item then it is a Geocoin whether it is trackable or not. From reading all the posts here it would seem that the new policies are going to hurt Geocoin collecting here not to mention the fact that quite a few folks that might have been considering making their coins GC.com trackable are changing their minds now which will take alot of money out of GC.com's pocket.

It would seem that most of the dissension is about only one of the new guidelines and maybe after seeing everyone's opinion Groundspeak will reconsider the sales policy of non trackable coins, after all they are geocoins too.

To the folks at Groundspeak, please reconsider this policy.

Thanks!

Maybe it's time to start up our own forum for geocoins buying and selling where we can post what we want without gc having to have their hand in everything.  I personally will not pay anymore money to gc for anything.  I already have to pay them the $3.00 a month for the "priveledge" of using their site.  I'm not going to have them dictate how and who's coins I will collect as well. 

I wonder how long till the rest of the geocoin collecters get tired of it as well.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Oh come on . . You are complaining about the $30.00 a year, which is really only $2.50 a month for the ablity to play the game. That is a cheap shot. I think it is a bargin.

I have to agree with this, the $30 a year is a bargin to play the game but what game are "you" talking about. You are not paying $30 a year to play the coin game or at least I ain't!

First and foremost with over 14,000 DNF's I am a Geocacher and a proud premium member of GC.com, the geocoin addiction is only a sideline! :ph34r:

Edited by BackBrakeBilly
... As I can vouch for, alot of folks don't and can't afford to go out and buy extra coins for trade bait so the way the policy is now they wouldn't have the opportunity to get the chance to add that coin to their collection. Non-trackable personal coins should be allowed to be sold, traded and given away but not by the companies that are minting the coins.

Two comments to make on this one:

1) I belive that if I read the guidleines correctly, a personal coin CAN be traded here (even if it's non-trackable), just not sold

2) For those who can't afford to do a coin - don't. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but I can't afford a new BMW right now so I'm not going to buy one. Not anybody's problem but my own.

Believe me, I can see how this disappoints many people, but I look at it this way:

If I made up 500 widgets to sell for a profit, I can't just go to my local flea market on Sunday and set up a table to sell them without paying for my spot. It's their parking lot, and eventually the guy in the orange vest and floppy hat is gonna come out of his little booth and ask me for his $5. Maybe if I gave him a few widgets, he'd look the other way? :lol:

It may sound silly, but I think Groundspeak is just asking folks who want to sell coins to pay for their spot....(GC tracking numbers).

Disclaimer: No, I don't have any widgets for sale, but I do have a nice selection of beanie babies. :ph34r:

Ground speak

I am confused and disapointed by the new policy.

I would like to see trackable and non trackable coins sales Promoted on this site. I could care less if the sale is for profit or not. sold by a person or a business? I don't care. I just gotta get my hands on the coins. Give me the link :ph34r:

So Far Ground Speak forums have been the place to go to stay up with the latest info on what is new and where to get it. I am hoping that trend continues

Thank you for your consideration

... As I can vouch for, alot of folks don't and can't afford to go out and buy extra coins for trade bait so the way the policy is now they wouldn't have the opportunity to get the chance to add that coin to their collection. Non-trackable personal coins should be allowed to be sold, traded and given away but not by the companies that are minting the coins.

1) I belive that if I read the guidleines correctly, a personal coin CAN be traded here (even if it's non-trackable), just not sold

2) For those who can't afford to do a coin - don't. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but I can't afford a new BMW right now so I'm not going to buy one. Not anybody's problem but my own.

Let me rephrase that........Some people can't afford to go and buy 3,4,5 or more extra coins to be able to have coins for trade and new folks to the hobby have to start somewhere and the only way is to be able to buy coins since they are new and have no coins to begin with.

Sorry, didn't mean to be taken the wrong way. :ph34r:

Believe me, I can see how this disappoints many people, but I look at it this way:

If I made up 500 widgets to sell for a profit, I can't just go to my local flea market on Sunday and set up a table to sell them without paying for my spot. It's their parking lot, and eventually the guy in the orange vest and floppy hat is gonna come out of his little booth and ask me for his $5. Maybe if I gave him a few widgets, he'd look the other way? :lol:

It may sound silly, but I think Groundspeak is just asking folks who want to sell coins to pay for their spot....(GC tracking numbers).

Disclaimer: No, I don't have any widgets for sale, but I do have a nice selection of beanie babies. :ph34r:

Hey I love widgets! I also love GC.com trackable geocoins! :lol:

You CAN sell your untrackable personal coin WITH permisson from what I understand. One reason they are doing that is so they can approve the artwork beisfore you sell it (from what I was told).

Edited by Ladycacher & Boys

Boy - I just saw this thread for the first time and I am depressed!

SO sad to see the new rules. I've always saw GeoCaching as a unique grassroots "sport" that brings together a diverse group of people in an active, educational, and eco-friendly adventure. The geocoin boards are a perfect example of this. As mentioned in prior posts - people could have easily bilked other members for money on false sales/scams - but that has not happened. The boards have run smoothly with thousands of coins and dollars changing hands all over the world. Creativity and a spirit of community have blossomed. Geocachers got to meet and learn about other geocachers. Signature coins got to travel much farther than their maker could have ever carried them. Now, out of the blue, only trackable coins are to be offered for sale on the boards? If this is truly a move by Groundspeak to shield them from fraudulent sales/scams, that is sad. The only ones punished by this new policy are individuals/small groups who couldn't afford the trackable fees, or created a design that wasn't conducive to mass production, or couldn't imagine selling a thousand coins.

Ok - sorry to get worked up about this so late in the game - Like I said I just saw the post. Don't know what this will mean for the rest of my signature coins. Sigh. I hope Groundspeak re-thinks this policy, as it does come across as rather $$ driven.

Mahalo,

Tiki

Don't know what this will mean for the rest of my signature coins. Sigh.

You make them :ph34r: I want those Tiki coins as do several hundred others here. I suggest making a mailing list of those of us that purchased the first 2. Email us directly when we are able to purchase the others. I am 99.999% sure everyone who has one of the first 2 tiki coins would want to purchase the others.

You CAN sell your untrackable personal coin WITH permisson from what I understand. One reason they are doing that is so they can approve the artwork beisfore you sell it (from what I was told).

Great point! One of these days I will learn to think before I post! :ph34r:

I see no problem with that policy. Groundspeak has been very easy to work with on getting coin designs approved at least for us they have.

Edited by BackBrakeBilly
Don't know what this will mean for the rest of my signature coins.  Sigh.

You make them :ph34r: I want those Tiki coins as do several hundred others here. I suggest making a mailing list of those of us that purchased the first 2. Email us directly when we are able to purchase the others. I am 99.999% sure everyone who has one of the first 2 tiki coins would want to purchase the others.

I want them all.

Request premission from Groundspeak to sell them. They may approve it. The email is above for premission requests.

Great point! One of these days I will learn to think before I post! :ph34r:

I see no problem with that policy. Groundspeak has been very easy to work with on getting coin designs approved at least for us they have.

I don't see where it says you can sell your personal coin here with permission...

Non-trackable coins may be posted for trade by individual coin owners.

the permission section:

Posts made with the intention of soliciting customers to a coin selling, tracking, or manufacturing website will not be tolerated. Links to other commercial coin selling, coin tracking, coin trading and coin manufacturing web sites will be permitted only with permission from Groundspeak. Permission requests may be sent to bizdev (at) Groundspeak.com.

seems like it is only regarding posting a link to external sites, but NOT for the intention of selling a coin?!?!

my posting that coin XXX is for sale at site YYY seems to violate the first sentence there. But if I want to say that coin xxx is for trade, and my trade list is here zzz, I can do that if I get permission from gc beforehand.

I don't see how you can ever have a link to a coin selling site that isn't a solicitation for customers.

I also do not see were there is mention of ANY exception to the ban of selling non-trackable coins of any kind, it doesn't say that you can even request permission to do it.

If I made up 500 widgets to sell for a profit, I can't just go to my local flea market on Sunday and set up a table to sell them without paying for my spot.  It's their parking lot, and eventually the guy in the orange vest and floppy hat is gonna come out of his little booth and ask me for his $5.  Maybe if I gave him a few widgets, he'd look the other way?  :lol:

Disclaimer:  No, I don't have any widgets for sale, but I do have a nice selection of beanie babies.  :lol:

Hey I love widgets! I also love GC.com trackable geocoins! :ph34r:

Widget Gecoin?

I will take one of each metal..... :lol:

How about a classified/for sale section (pinned) that you paid $5-$20 to put your listing in for your non GC trackable coin? A paid advertising space as it were. This way GS is still getting business ($) and we still have our central location to list. I'd be willing to pay to avoid having to use the bay or more than one sight.

GS is a business, and I'm ok with that. They are growing quicker than they were prepared for and having to catch up as such. Hopefully some productive suggestions will help them find a happy medium that satisfies the majority (or at least a good portion!)

How about a classified/for sale section (pinned) that you paid $5-$20 to put your listing in for your non GC trackable coin? A paid advertising space as it were. This way GS is still getting business ($) and we still have our central location to list. I'd be willing to pay to avoid having to use the bay or more than one sight.

GS is a business, and I'm ok with that. They are growing quicker than they were prepared for and having to catch up as such. Hopefully some productive suggestions will help them find a happy medium that satisfies the majority (or at least a good portion!)

Hmm, that doesn't seem like a bad idea to me. Pinned at the top of the geocoin section instead of in the classified section? Unfortunately, I think the knee jerk reaction will be that people at this point will refuse to contemplate paying more money to GS, but once the dust settles, it might work. :ph34r:

Untrackable coins should not be subject to approval by anyone.

Being as these are GC.com's forums and this is a Family oriented game, I think that they would have the right to not allow any vulgar or XXXrated coins, not saying that anyone we know would design anything like that but it could happen.

Out of all the ideas we have submitted, Groundspeak has never given us any grief but we believe in keeping the game family friendly.

I do think they have the right to have the final say so over what is posted here seeing that the geocoin craze is getting so big and you never know who is going to be the first to throw that risque idea out there.

I agree with you on another post you made about everyone needs to calm down and see how the chips or coins in this case fall.

P.S. We love our new PDXMM coin! :ph34r:

Thanks for trading with me!

Here are some answers and clarifications about the questions that have been posted.

1. We are not saying that this forum is limited to coins that are trackable on geocaching.com. We are saying that SALES of coins in this forum are limited to those which are trackable. You can use this forum for selling and trading GC-trackable coins. You can talk about trading coins even if they are not trackable.

The only thing restricted is promotions of non-trackable coin sales. Groundspeak operates these forums, provides the bandwidth, and has a moderating team that must monitor all the activity. It is our choice to limit the use of our forum as a free promotional tool for people or companies that produce geocoins.

We have no desire to host a free marketplace, on our dime, so that others can create their own geocoin businesses. If they are willing to help pay for the bandwidth, etc., by paying for the tracking functionality, then they are welcome to sell their coins in the forum.

2. To answer Atlanta Gal's question, if you produce a trackable geocoin and choose to use the services of another website to facilitate orders and sales, it is fine to provide a link to the specific page where your coin is located and sold (as opposed to the general catalog page for that site’s product offerings.

3. To answer several questions about non-trackable geocoins that are already in process, we recognize that the owners of these coins were relying on the ability to publicize their coins in this forum. So, if you have a non-trackable geocoin that has already been produced, it is OK to offer it for sale here. To help our moderators, please state in your post that your coin series was produced prior to the announcement of the new forum guidelines. Note that abuse of this allowance will not be tolerated.

Please keep asking any questions and we will do our best to answer them quickly.

[EDITED # 3 to say non-trackable, instead of trackable]

Edited by Rothstafari
We have no desire to host a free marketplace, on our dime, so that others can create their own geocoin businesses. If they are willing to help pay for the bandwidth, etc., by paying for the tracking functionality, then they are welcome to sell their coins in the forum.

I understand the new policy, its not my company. But I was thinking about this with respect to the geocoin craze, but in reality I don't see personal geocoins being any different than Joe Cacher selling a Palm V in the Garage Sale forum, except perhaps in quantity. Maybe he's not selling 500 Palm V's, but if collects and repairs them, what's the difference? Is he not essentially a commercial endeavor?

We have no desire to host a free marketplace, on our dime, so that others can create their own geocoin businesses.  If they are willing to help pay for the bandwidth, etc., by paying for the tracking functionality, then they are welcome to sell their coins in the forum.

It is quite unfortunate that you are completely unnappreciative of where "Your Dime" comes from. How many tens of thousands of dollars did Groundspeak make last year on tracking and coin icons?

We have no desire to host a free marketplace, on our dime, so that others can create their own geocoin businesses.  If they are willing to help pay for the bandwidth, etc., by paying for the tracking functionality, then they are welcome to sell their coins in the forum.

It is quite unfortunate that you are completely unnappreciative of where "Your Dime" comes from. How many tens of thousands of dollars did Groundspeak make last year on tracking and coin icons?

I don't get it. Those coins can be sold and traded here. Where's the beef?

Can't even mention another forum?? I didn't make a link!

Email me with your new place.

It's interesting because there are already two coins listed somewhere else, and one is a state coin.

Someone email me with the new place too!

I might just start a thread and post the links here. :ph34r:

Ditto!

You can talk about trading coins even if they are not trackable.

I am trading my non-trackable personal geocoin series.

I need your Sacagawea, Susan B Anthony, or Eisenhower coins for my collection.

I prize my coins highly and so I'm asking to trade one of my coins for 5 of any mix of the listed coins...

:lol::lol::ph34r:

*Sorry geocoin-aholics, this post is just a joke aimed at using a loophole I saw in Groundspeak's rules...I don't have any personal geocoins for trade

Exactly,

That is why Groundspeak allows sale of GeoCoins with Tracking and (optionaly) coin icons.

This is from Bullet 1

"This forum may be used for selling, trading or giving away of geocoins which are trackable on Geocaching.com. ... Non-trackable coins may be posted for trade by individual coin owners."

It seems to say that we can only trade (as opposed to sell) non-trackable coins. Am I reading this correctly? Is this new?

Yes this is true and yes it is new.

I wish I had knows this before I invested several hundred dollars in a personal, non-trackable coin that I intended to make available for sale on this forum.

Me too, I have 150 personal, non-trackable coins to announce soon.

Well, I plan on trading most of them, reserving 40 for newbie coin traders so they can get a coin trading warchest built up.

So I won't be able to sell the 40 here?

The fundamental problem is that for the most part Groundspeak /geocaching.com had has a very strong anti-commercial anti profit public face. This seems to be contrary to how people have viewed Groundspeak. It is effectively a new face. :ph34r:

. . . and I am one who has no real problem with the policy, but it is kind of like marrying a democrat and then after the ceremony finding out your new spouse is really a republican. There is still love there, but the new orientation is going to take some getting used to.

I think he is refering to the ban on promoting the sale of non-trackable coins.

Which I am disappointed to see as well, but understand that GC has every right to make the rules here.

I am glad to see that we can promote the sale of GC trackable coins on commercial sites though.

honestly I think it would be easier on GC moderators if GC would just allow non trackable coin sales to be promoted.

This is from Bullet 1

"This forum may be used for selling, trading or giving away of geocoins which are trackable on Geocaching.com. ... Non-trackable coins may be posted for trade by individual coin owners."

It seems to say that we can only trade (as opposed to sell) non-trackable coins. Am I reading this correctly? Is this new?

Yes this is true and yes it is new.

I wish I had knows this before I invested several hundred dollars in a personal, non-trackable coin that I intended to make available for sale on this forum.

Well, I plan on trading most of them, reserving 40 for newbie coin traders so they can get a coin trading warchest built up.

from the previous Rothstafari post

3. To answer several questions about non-trackable geocoins that are already in process, we recognize that the owners of these coins were relying on the ability to publicize their coins in this forum. So, if you have a non-trackable geocoin that has already been produced, it is OK to offer it for sale here. To help our moderators, please state in your post that your coin series was produced prior to the announcement of the new forum guidelines. Note that abuse of this allowance will not be tolerated.
You can talk about trading coins even if they are not trackable.

I am trading my non-trackable personal geocoin series.

I need your Sacagawea, Susan B Anthony, or Eisenhower coins for my collection.

I prize my coins highly and so I'm asking to trade one of my coins for 5 of any mix of the listed coins...

:D:o:P

*Sorry geocoin-aholics, this post is just a joke aimed at using a loophole I saw in Groundspeak's rules...I don't have any personal geocoins for trade

GOOD ONE!!!! :lol::lol::ph34r::lol:

can I use papal to send you a "voucher" to pick up my "trade coins" at your local bank?

:lol::D:P

I guess all coin sales are actually "coin trades"

The fundamental problem is that for the most part Groundspeak /geocaching.com had has a very strong anti-commercial anti profit public face. This seems to be contrary to how people have viewed Groundspeak. It is effectively a new face. :ph34r:

. . . and I am one who has no real problem with the policy, but it is kind of like marrying a democrat and then after the ceremony finding out your new spouse is really a republican. There is still love there, but the new orientation is going to take some getting used to.

This is weird. I mean really really weird. Twilight Zone weird.

I have to say that I was pulled kicking and screaming into the concept of trackable geocoins.

Now that they have arrived, we have continued to loosen the guidelines for minting and distribution of geocoins. It first started out that only organizations could do it, and now we allow people to create their own personal geocoins. And, by popular demand, we opened up a new forum section just to discuss them.

If anything, this new anti-mooching policy should be welcomed. If people want to create a side business that is fine, but why you should expect to be able to use the Geocaching.com forums for free marketing of these coins is just plain silly. I'm not even sure why you believe you would be entitled to do so.

From above:

You're covered. :ph34r:

Edit: CO ADMIN beat me to it. And a few other posts have come in as this thread is moving quickly. I'll leave this here as it bears repeating and we want to make sure that everybody is aware of this.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

If anything, this new anti-mooching policy should be welcomed. If people want to create a side business that is fine, but why you should expect to be able to use the Geocaching.com forums for free marketing of these coins is just plain silly. I'm not even sure why you believe you would be entitled to do so.

OK but what about my case. I have 150 coins almost in the hopper. I CAN trade all 150 but would like to reserve 40 to sell ( 1 or 2 per person ) to new coin traders who don't have a coin collection built up.

Can this crack like get filled in?

p.s. I see the above post re: coins getting produced prior to this new policy. However, I don't have them made yet, I have the quote and am waiting for payment method.

Edited by nicolo
The only coins that are tradable/sellable here are the ones that pony up your ransom. :ph34r:

Email me a copy of your house keys and I'll put up a room for rent on craigs list.

I have to agree 100%

Can't say I agree 100% with everything, but you can't make everyone happy.

Keep up the good work.

How much more out of touch can you be?

We are talking about individual geocachers announcing their sig items on gc.com forums and you will not allow it beacuase you didn't get your EXTRA share. GREED....plain and simple.

This makes absolutely no logical sense. "Your dime" you say. A single thread of a coin amounts to next to nothing compared to many threads in the OT forums. In fact, this very thread already has more posts and over half the page views as my thread about the SC coins. Give it another day and I'd say it would have surpassed both measures. Coin threads amount to next to nothing and you've tossed away any goodwill you have garnered.

Additionally, non-trackable coins add nothing to the bandwidth or other costs to the rest of the site. Plus, $1500 for a 1000 coin mint is absolutely outrageous for the privilege of starting a thread, getting an icon, and paying for time and bandwidth when 99% of the coins will be activated and stored away. That's like getting paid and not having to deliver the goods.

Sorry. I'm not buying it.

BTW, why do you allow the listing of geocaches for free, but charge for trackables? (Nevermind, it was a rhetorical question.)