Where To Get Small Pencils And Sharpeners?

ICHTHYS

Tis easy, just take a regular yellow pencil and cut it with a sharp knife. I do it like this, get a folding knife and close it about halfway. Put the pencil on the inside of the hinge, and then just push down firmly on the blade, as if you were closing it. It'll cut the pencil cleanly every time. And as for sharpers, these little guys are perfect. Get them almost anywhere, grocery stores, office stores, stationary stores.

Hand_Pencil_Sharpener.GIF

Tis easy, just take a regular yellow pencil and cut it with a sharp knife. I do it like this, get a folding knife and close it about halfway. Put the pencil on the inside of the hinge, and then just push down firmly on the blade, as if you were closing it. It'll cut the pencil cleanly every time. And as for sharpers, these little guys are perfect. Get them almost anywhere, grocery stores, office stores, stationary stores.

Hand_Pencil_Sharpener.GIF

I do that too, but I've found the golf pencils to work the best. Regular pencils tend to have their lead break or fall out much easier than golf pencils. I don't think I've ever seen a golf pencil lead fall out. If you cut them in half, they are the perfect size for a film canister.

I think I've tried all of the above at one time or another. I remember getting some golf pencils and thinking it would be neat to have pencils with my geocaching name on them, so thats what I did. It makes a simple, cheap and useful signature item. I leave a few in each cache I visit.

I've been looking for these too. How much were they?

I think I've tried all of the above at one time or another. I remember getting some golf pencils and thinking it would be neat to have pencils with my geocaching name on them, so thats what I did. It makes a simple, cheap and useful signature item. I leave a few in each cache I visit.

geopencil5zb.jpg

Me too

13c58c5e-ac06-4cc3-b9b1-9a8632241a97.jpg

Can't remember for the life of me where I orded them from but I know it was like $37.50 for 750 of them.

PDOP's Posted on Jan 20 2006, 07:56 AM

I've been looking for these too. How much were they? 

I paid $42.50 (including shipping), from Write-on-pencils.com, for 5 gross (720) which was the typical minimum every where I looked. This was the best price I could find on the web. I believe it was about $10 more to add erasers.

It looks like StarBrand found a better deal I'd be curious where his came from, although I don't think I'll be needing any very soon.

at Oriental Trading Company...$7.95 for 72, they don't require a sharpenr and they have caps (which save wear and tear on ziplock bags in caches).  ...

What do you do, saw them in half?

huh? I don't understand the saw comment <_<

They don't require sharpeners because when the lead in front is dull, you take it out, poke it in the back, and a new lead with a sharp point comes out.

They don't tear up ziplocks as much as regular pencils do becuase they have a cap so the sharp end doesn't poke the corner of the bag.

jamie

oriental trading (see above) also sells large bags of decent pencil sharpeners for cheap. We got a bag of about 60 sharpeners for about $3. they were small enough that I put together an altoids tin cache (in several bigs to prevent rust - relax) that had the log, the "this is geocaching" a golf pencil, the pencil sharpener, and the rare earth magnet, and still had enough spare space for several spare baggies just in case (ok, I'm water-paranoid). Only problem I had was that the sharpener and the rare earth magnet "liked" each other.

For the pencils, if you are not into thievery, then Staples or Office Depot or the like is the best I've found. At staples, 144 golf pencils was about $5. (but they aren't the really really cool personalized ones above)