Owner Maintenance - New Log Feature

MrCOgeo

Cool. Hadn't noticed the log type before it was pointed out here.

When I edit the log, I notice the red text (similar to TB logs):

"There was an action associated with this log. The log type cannot be changed."

Action? Does this meen posting a log will automatically enable a disabled cache or does it do something else?

When someone logs that a cache needs maintenance, it sets an attribute on the cache: firstaid-yes.gif Needs maintenance.

This attribute is searchable in Pocket Queries.

When the cache owner enters a "owner maintenance" log, it clears the attribute.

Edited by Lil Devil
When someone logs that a cache needs maintenance, it sets an attribute on the cache: firstaid-yes.gif Needs maintenance.

This attribute is searchable in Pocket Queries.

When the cache owner enters a "owner maintenance" log, it clears the attribute.

Ah, makes sense. I only looked at one of my caches (which you can't post a need maintenance to) and an event (which obviously doesn't need maintenence), so I didn't see that option before. Very nice feature. :)

How do we filter out Needs Maintenance?  I just cliked on it until the icon was crossed out, but when I ran the search, I got no results.  Am I thinking about this incorrectly?

First a question, now a slight problem.

I am unable to exclude (i.e. firstaid-no.gif) the Needs Maintenance attribute in my PQ's also at this time

without getting a error message:

Sorry, no results were found for this search.

when previewing the search.

I have checked and rechecked my boolean logic and can include (i.e. firstaid-yes.gif) the attribute in the search with no noticeable errors and intended results.

I am unable to exclude (i.e. firstaid-no.gif) the Needs Maintenance attribute in my PQ's also at this time

without getting a error message:

Sorry, no results were found for this search.

when previewing the search.

Running a PQ for dogs-no.gif searches for caches with a "No Dogs" attribute (not for caches without a "Dogs" attribute).

So, I suspect your PQ is looking for caches with a "Does Not Need Maintenance" attribute, instead of caches which do not have a "Needs Maintenance" attribute.

"Attributes (click to include/exclude certain attributes)" is somewhat misleading. I can't see any way of excluding a particular attribute.

So, I suspect your PQ is looking for caches with a "Does Not Need Maintenance" attribute, instead of caches which do not have a "Needs Maintenance" attribute.

"Attributes (click to include/exclude certain attributes)" is somewhat misleading. I can't see any way of excluding a particular attribute.

Mine and your's "suspection" all along, as of now. <_<

So here's a question, if posting a "Needs Maintenance" log adds an attribute, what happens when a cacher other than owner rectifies the problem?

(Particularly if the cache was adopted and owner defunct?)

Alternatively when cache owners fix it without logging such virtually?

Are PQ users who filter out such just denied then?

Or does the "Needs Maintenance" attribute expire in some other fashion?

Just thinking,

Randy

So here's a question, if posting a "Needs Maintenance" log adds an attribute, what happens when a cacher other than owner rectifies the problem?...

One possibility could be to send a quick email to the reviewer. While I can't speak for them, I'm sure they'd probably be glad to help (by posting a maintenence log) and I'm sure they'd be thankful to be kept informed about any mainteanance issues in their territory.

Edited by DavidMac
The attribute: firstaid-yes.gif

Should be reversed. As it is now, it's the flag of Switzerland. What you want is the Red Cross symbol, which is, not coincidently, a red cross.

It's a common American error.

Maybe not. <_<

Whoever, whether a corporation, association or person, other than the American National Red Cross and its duly authorized employees and agents and the sanitary and hospital authorities of the armed forces of the United States, uses the emblem of the Greek red cross on a white ground, or any sign or insignia made or colored in imitation thereof ... —

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

US CODE: Title 18, §706. Red Cross

Cornix

Does anyone know if logging a "Needs Maintenance" also logs a "Found It", or do you have to log them separately?

You'd think it would, since you would've had to find it to know it needs maintenance, but...

Sorry if this was asked elsewhere. Search function may someday work again. <_<

Does anyone know if logging a "Needs Maintenance" also logs a "Found It", or do you have to log them separately?

You'd think it would, since you would've had to find it to know it needs maintenance, but...

Sorry if this was asked elsewhere.  Search function may someday work again.  <_<

Yes, you have to log both separatly

Link

Edited by Polar B's

Thanks- I'm fine with it if that's how it works, although I'm not sure I agree that finding a damaged cache doesn't count.

What if it were one of those 5-start dealies that involved septic tanks or scuba gear? I think if all I found was the lid, I'd still claim it.

The attribute: firstaid-yes.gif

Should be reversed. As it is now, it's the flag of Switzerland. What you want is the Red Cross symbol, which is, not coincidently, a red cross.

It's a common American error.

Maybe not. :drama:

Whoever, whether a corporation, association or person, other than the American National Red Cross and its duly authorized employees and agents and the sanitary and hospital authorities of the armed forces of the United States, uses the emblem of the Greek red cross on a white ground, or any sign or insignia made or colored in imitation thereof ... —

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

US CODE: Title 18, §706. Red Cross

Cornix

maybe the icon should be changed to a (dare I use the brand name?) band-aid. :blink:

I have checked and rechecked my boolean logic and can include (i.e. user posted image) the attribute in the search with no noticeable errors and intended results.

When I tried that, I still got the same "no results" error.

So there is no way to exclude caches that need maintenance at this time?

Joe

Another reason for not generating an automatic found-it log (in addition to the good reason mentioned by Lil Devil): it's possible for someone to have found the cache a while ago, and then return months later to drop off a TB, and notice then that the cache needs maintenance. He wouldn't want the "needs maintenance" log to also automatically give him a second "found it".

Thanks!! I have been wanting this feature for sometime and I am glad TPTB waited until it could be implemented so well!

I thought this was a good idea. My only quarrel with the way it was implemented is logging an "owner maintenance" visit doesn't update the last visit date.

It was one of the chief reasons I was for this log option. People who filter out caches that haven't been found in a while will still miss out in caches that were recently verified as maintained (hence there) by the owner.

I just posted an owner maintenance visit to one of my caches that is definitely not available and is sitting in my den. I stopped by the park to see if the construction was done. It wasn't and so the cache remains disabled, but to save a reviewer worrying about the cache being disabled so long, I posted a maintenance log.

I do agree with briansnat that, in most cases, a maintenance log should update the last date found, but not always.

Two of us are trying out this new feature....

I posted a NMR and I could see it, the owner got the notification.

Results: Mine

I can see the log entry and the Attribute Icon on the cache page. The log is also on MY ACCOUNT page

Results: Owner

Can't see the log entry or the Attribute Icon.

She sent me the link to the log in the notification email, I clicked it... the log is gone and the Icon is too.

I checked MY ACCOUNT page, and the log is still there. I click it and I can view it, but any link inside it takes me to her cache and the log is gone and the icon is gone.

We are going to try it again on one of my caches. I love the idea of this feature, I hope it works out soon.

:( The Blue Quasar

Nevermind... seems to work now.

My friend posted a NMR on mine... the log and icon appeared.

I checked from GSAK and the page was updated

I checked from email link to cache page and the page was updated

I opened the log link, then to cache page and the page was updated.

Then I posted a Owner Maintenance... the Attribute Icon disappeared. Her log was there with a Red Cross, mine with a Green Cross (nice touch!).

Now to delete the logs.

Excellent feature... I've always wanted that!

(as an aside... I noticed the frame of the pages changed during our initial test, so maybe we just caught a maintenance update)

:( The Blue Quasar

Can't seem to find an answer about this anywhere else so I'll ask it here.

When a NM log is set, does the local reviewer get an email so they can see that the owner has been notified? That way if a few weeks go by and nothing happens the reviewer will see this and be able to Temp Disable until the owner does clean it up? Or do all the NM logs just go into a big database for all to see?

Thx

So here's a question, if posting a "Needs Maintenance" log adds an attribute, what happens when a cacher other than owner rectifies the problem?

We love this new feature. We've often thought to ourselves that it would be a great idea, and now here it is!

We'd like to suggest an enhancement to this:

We know of a number of very worthwhile caches where the owner is obviously absent and unresponsive. If the 'needs maintenance" log entry is ignored by the owner after a certain timeframe, perhaps the cache could then be referred to a reviewer. The reviewer could have the option to mark the cache as "available for adoption" and invite local cachers to apply.

On our visits to Hawaii, we have enjoyed some wonderful (albeit orphaned) caches which would obviously benefit from the adoptive care of a local owner.

So does the NM log work the same as the SBA (i.e. does the local Approver get notified)? Or is it merely there for filtering purposes and/or alerts the cache owner of a problem.

Also curious since I see LD on a few of these posts, how this will be implemented in Spinner? Does Spinner look at the logs to assign a different icon, or does it just differentiate only the Active vs. the Inactive cache types?

Also curious since I see LD on a few of these posts, how this will be implemented in Spinner? Does Spinner look at the logs to assign a different icon, or does it just differentiate only the Active vs. the Inactive cache types?

Good idea. Problem is attributes are not currently included in the GPX file. I can't just look at the logs because logs can be deleted.

So does the NM log work the same as the SBA (i.e. does the local Approver get notified)?  Or is it merely there for filtering purposes and/or alerts the cache owner of a problem.

That was answered 2 posts up from your question. Needs Maintenance logs do not automatically get sent to reviewers.

Thanks PS. Yah, I'm blind sometimes :D

I just posted a "Owner Maintenance" log on one of my caches that I went and replaced the log for(one of my lame micros):

Frontal Lobotomy

When I checked my email, it said "so and so performed some maintenance on yada-yada" type thing. So I checked my Stats to see if it registered there, and of course it didn't. I know this was brought up earlier in the thread (so don't Markwell me :ph34r: ), but I think folks should get some credit for doing stuff like this. I know it's the responsibility of the owner to make sure all is good with their own caches, but it does recquire some effort. Plus when folks go out of their way to "cachemedic" someone else's cache, it seems like they should get some credit (and a cool icon on thier profile) for providing such a service.

Thats what I was wondering.

If the owner is totally gone or only visits the website very infrequently. The attribute is stuck there, even if the problem was fixed... Will this end up making the ability less then helpful?

Okay, here's an idea. I don't know how hard it would be to implement, but how bad would it be if ANY cacher can toggle the needs maintenance attribute on OR off? If you repair/replace the cache, then you should be able to turn off the "Needs Maintenance" attribute.

Okay, shoot it full of holes! :)

OOPS... Darn! You're too fast, Jeremy! :)

Edited by Trinity's Crew
I was thinking that we could create another log entry for non-owners to do first-aid to a cache. This could also remove the attribute. Any idea what to call it?

Maybe something along the lines of:

Cache Assistance/Support - mrcacher assisted/supported cache_name (cache type).

(Great, now even the caches are asking to up their benefits) :)

Edited by MrCOgeo

"TLC"

"Random Act of Kindness"

"Good Samaritan"

"Aid"

"Cache Assist"

"Visitor Maintenance" (since the other is "Owner Maintenance")

"Upkeep"

"Touch up"

Those are my brainstorms, I like TLC best but don't know if it's universal.

The first three are sorta' encouraging whereas the rest rather dry (and the last sorta' insulting...)

hth,

Randy

I was thinking that we could create another log entry for non-owners to do first-aid to a cache. This could also remove the attribute. Any idea what to call it?

Why not keep it simple with just one "performed maintenance" log type for both owners and others? Fewer log types to keep track of :lol:

Why not keep it simple with just one "performed maintenance" log type for both owners and others? Fewer log types to keep track of :lol:

I agree with this idea. What's now called "owner-maintenance" should just be "cache-maintenance" and should be postable by anyone.

I thought about that. It will require a message to the developers to make sure they become aware of the new type. I can then do the name change.