Searching Function

I live in Vancouver, Canada and can't do search by postal code. :laughing: Ok, so I do a different search and the closest waymark is in New York :laughing:

There has to be some MAJOR work done to this Waymarking stuff IMO.

Oh, and can you release the Canadian Benchmark Database and organize it by province please.

Thanks... :laughing:

I live in Vancouver, Canada and can't do search by postal code. :laughing:  Ok, so I do a different search and the closest waymark is in New York :laughing:

You can do a Coordinate Search using the Advanced Search feature.

It appears that there hasn't been much Waymarking activity in your area yet, but there are a few:

Waymarks within 50 miles of Vancouver

edit: spelling, added a link

Edited by cache_test_dummies
You got it all wrong. The idea is called Waymarking, not wayfinding. The finding comes later.

You can, however, search from any cache from the geocaching.com web site under the "Find..." area of the page.

Ah ok. Given your definition there is no insentive to find. Hmmm, but I can deal with that . But really, then, what is the point?

Who cares if you waymark a McDonalds in your area? I thought there was more to this. Something that actually made it interesting, like geocaching, but mostly it is a sorta POI database.

:rolleyes::laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Am I missing something?

Edited by mrking

Ah ok. Given your definition there is no insentive to find. Hmmm, but I can deal with that . But really, then, what is the point?

Who cares if you waymark a McDonalds in your area? I thought there was more to this. Something that actually made it interesting, like geocaching, but mostly it is a sorta POI database.

The point is that there will be both types of finding going on...one like virtual geocaching, one like the locationless caches. In fact, 3 different activities will be captured by one site:

1) There will be people interested in organizing categories of specific waymarks (waypoints) that highlight something of interest to them. (this covers the archetype of 'locationless cache placer')

2) There will be people who, like FTF hounds, will scour their regions looking for waypoints to add to the different categories that they're interested in (and probably plenty they aren't). (this covers the archetype of 'locationless cache finder')

3) There will be people who use the database of points and categories created by the first two archetypes to go hunting for interesting things around them that they didn't know existed or that they are interested in knocking off of a checklist (ala geocaching). (this covers the archetype of 'virtual cache finder')

The only paradigm shift is that Archetype #2 ('locationless cache finder') now also becomes the role for 'virtual cache placer' as well. But, like it or not, that's essentially what was going on at GC.com anyways, although the locationless to capture the virtual cache may not have existed yet or the virtual cache placers thought they were being more clever than a locationless cache finder.

It sounds like you're more likely to appreciate the role of #3 better and that is going to have to wait until there are more entries in your area, I guess...then again, the items that fit even the current categories are out there in your area...if you like FTFs, you might try role #2 and go searching for items in your area that haven't been listed yet in categories that interest you (and probably even some that don't).

I travel for work, so the POI database is sort of nice IF the "Interest" part can be met. Geocaching is a great way to get me out of the hotel. I’m hoping Waymarking will eventually progress into a something useable as well. Today (Geocaching), I download a list of coordinates to my GPSr and not know what I’m going for until just before I head out of the car (or hotel). I like the surprise aspects of the sport and pocket queries definitely promote that!

In Geocaching I don’t generally log onto the Geocaching website to find caches, I log on only to log caches. I do all my caching via pocket queries (well... ok modifying my pocket query requires a login). As such, I would like to see Waymarking organized to allow easy but meaningful pocket queries.

So far, I have not found a way to do a search of “Historical” within “X” distance from a location, even when the location filter is turned on. The other problem is only about 50% of the list, which I’m stuck drilling down through, are Historical. I guess searching on Historical and getting WiFI hotspots is nice for logging purposes but I don’t consider WiFI historical…. yet.

Your point about not being active in your area is a good point. I do a 50-mile radius search from my home location and come up with 13 total hits. Compared to Geocaching with well over 200 hits in a 10-mile radius (I’m afraid to try a 50-mile search). By the way, my immediate area is about 1-million people and the 50 mile search would likely cover an additional 1-million as it would encompass some of the Denver, Colorado suburbs as well as Pueblo, Colorado.

Waymarking solves a major problem with entering “virtual caches”. When the application evolves to meet user expectations at retrieving, I’m hoping you (and I) will find it as fun as Geocaching. Like you, at this point in the applications evolution, I feel it has a long way to go. Although, 1 of the 4 within 10 miles from my home location is one I want to do… so I guess it’s not totally useless.

One of my favorite things about LCs was that I rarely went out of my way to find them. I would have an idea of the LCs that I thought were interesting and then I would just live my normal life. I fould a kugel ball at lunch and a haunted spot while geocaching. I'd pull off the road to take a pic and coords of a mustang-on-a-stick. It was fun just paying attention to my surroundings.

Well, part of Waymarking is the same deal. Browse through the categories that are out there. I bet that you'll start to find these items in the world around you. When you do, get the items info and create a waymark. Before you know it, through your actions and that of other local waymarkers, there will be plenty of waymarks in your area and you'll have more fun with the site.

It was fun just paying attention to my surroundings.

I really agree. Especially when visiting a new area, I always make sure any virtuals etc. are included on my GPS'r. They so often bring me to a place I never would have seen otherwise. With the kids along, they have often been educationally expanding. I am hoping that eventually with pocket queries and more and more waymarks here, I'll be able to do the same.

You got it all wrong. The idea is called Waymarking, not wayfinding. The finding comes later.

You can, however, search from any cache from the geocaching.com web site under the "Find..." area of the page.

I thought about this some more and would it be safe to say, by your definition, that geocaching should not be about finding as well.

geo= the world

caching=

1. A hiding place used especially for storing provisions.

2. A place for concealment and safekeeping, as of valuables.

3. A store of goods or valuables concealed in a hiding place: maintained a cache of food in case of emergencies.

So in essence we should just be hiding boxes of stuff and not finding them.

I thought about this some more and would it be safe to say, by your definition, that geocaching should not be about finding as well.

Why argue meaningless semantics when the answer you were looking for is right here?

Why argue meaningless semantics when the answer you were looking for is right here?

His statement bugged me is all. Sorry for inconveniencing your time. <_<

Jeremy has a way of being sarcastic sometimes when people are just asking a question.

I don't know Jeremy at all, but he often makes little sniper-like comments, but maybe he is just feeling out the person's real intentions.

As in, if you really care about it, you will continue to engage the discussion.. and if you don't then he doesn't need to devote the time to a really involved answer.

As for the Searching function.... that is one of many requests that have been made in the past, and we are anxiously awaiting.

Searching from home coordinates is done by LOCATION FILTER and entering (and if you're smart... saving) your ORIGIN. The great thing is that you can save multiple origins. This is an improvement on Geocaching.

What is still lacking is the option to download to a GPX/LOC file the coordinates of Waymarks... as well the option to create Pocket Queries.

Be sure to crank up the popularity filter to 100%... or you might miss a catagory that you are interested in (even though apparently others are not). I don't let other people deteremine what I want to look at.

The strange thing about searching in Waymarking is that it assumes that you know what you are interested in, and automatically would catagorize it the same way that Groundspeak does... this is often not true. That is where the Waymark Catagory Search comes in handy, sort of.

I don't Waymark by what I am interested in seeing... I Waymark by everything that is in range... if someone set up a Waymark to show me a traffic-circle... I'll go see it. They think it's worth it, I wanna see why... maybe there is something I didn't know about.... and maybe I will become interested AFTER seeing it. I say SEE EVERYTHING... and live for a goal of no regrets!

<_< The Blue Quasar

I used to be able to search by country, with an advanced link under zipcode.  I don't see that as an option anymore.  Did it disapear?  :D

It looks to me like there is still a country search. Or am I not understanding your question? :D

waymark_search_by_country.gif

Ha! I knew that I must be doing something wrong. ;) I was looking at the main page where there is a zipcode search. But the advanced search is in the same place on the directory page. Thanks for clearing that up. :D