Downloading Loc Files To Easy Gps

Tuff E Nuff

Hi

if any one can tell me what i am doing wrong. I am new to geocaching and find it a lot of fun until it is computer time, I have the easygps I have an etrex legend (an old one with current software). I went to geocache.com and am trying to download the waypoints by clicking on the icon that is supposed to automatically place the way points in my easygps to download to my gps at a later date. :o (whew!) So the first time i clicked on the icon it asked me to save it, i did, and wow it went right into my easygps software, I thought I was on a roll, well the very next waypoint i clicked on asked me to save it and when i did it tried to go to my documents where there was aready a geocaching save from the first one and it would not save it unless i deleted the previous save. also how do i plot the waypoints on a map in easy gps to print to carry with me. thankyou! <_<

It sounds like you just need to either rename the new filename, or delete the old one. Geocaching.com will always try to save the .loc file with a default file name, but you can choose whichever name you like.

I would suggest saving more than one waypoint for each loc file (see the check boxes along the right on search results) and then name that file something relevant (like "NearWork.loc" or "Jan18.loc") that way you can find it easier next time you want.

I don't know about the map-plotting, so I'll let someone else cover that.

-Ed-

Sounds like you're downloading caches one at a time from the cache webpage.

Try downloading multiple caches at a time, as follows:

From any cache webpage, click on "Find ... all nearby caches that I haven't found" or "all nearby caches of this type, that I haven't found". These links follow the hint.

In the next page, click the boxes of the caches you want to download.

Then, download by clicking "Download Waypoints" at the bottom right corner. You can go to the next page to download more waypoints. As has been noted above, when the window to download shows up, you can simply add a character to the filename (I add 1, 2, 3....).

Regarding printing maps. You can't print maps from EasyGPS, and MapSource can't read the files EasyGPS creates. So, you'll have to go from EasyGPS to GPS to MapSource.

Good luck.

Sounds like you're downloading caches one at a time from the cache webpage. 

Try downloading multiple caches at a time, as follows:

From any cache webpage, click on "Find ...  all nearby caches that I haven't found"  or "all nearby caches of this type, that I haven't found".  These links follow the hint.

In the next page, click the boxes of the caches you want to download.

Then, download by clicking "Download Waypoints" at the bottom right corner.  You can go to the next page to download more waypoints.  As has been noted above, when the window to download shows up, you can simply add a character to the filename (I add 1, 2, 3....).

Regarding printing maps.  You can't print maps from EasyGPS, and MapSource can't read the files EasyGPS creates.  So, you'll have to go from EasyGPS to GPS to MapSource. 

Good luck.

Chuy

You are right, I was trying to download one at a time. I followed eisen's advice and clicked on the boxes to the right of the caches I wanted to download and then I could save them to my documents if I renamed each file saved. The problem i then had was they were not all saved to the same easygps file, so i had to click on multiple easygps files to get each saved group of caches instead of just clicking on one easygps to get them all. :bad: Sorry I am not completely computer literate. But I try real hard! As far as printing maps I have the free version of easy gps, and all it shows are my little cache boxes and no map at all, if you have good advice on map software that is easy to use and works with easygps (you see i chose that because of the word easy :D ) I would appreciate it. I am working with an old garmin legend B/w with no map capability and am wanting to purchase a newer/better gps with mapping/mapprinting capabilities. So if you are sooo... inclined to give me that information it would be really really appreciated

Thank you for your time :D

Patty

Hey There "Tadpole" - WELCOME!!,

You may or may not be interested in this optional EasyGPS (free version) feature....

As I'm reading and sorting through various caches that I want to load into my GPSR I will download & open the coordinates (either .loc or .gpx format) into EasyGPS for them individually while I'm on that cache description page. I will keep doing that until I've read/sorted through all the caches I want to search for that day (let's just say 10). Obviously, I then have 10 open EasyGPS windows and each one contains one set of coordinates. I then select any one of the 10 windows and up on the main toolbar select Window > Tile. That will open all the EasyGPS windows at once and display them in a "tile" array. Then I simply drag & drop each set of coordinates into one of the windows until I have them all in one place and SAVE that single file for that day's hunting. Then you just close/delete each of the other windows.

Veteran EasyGPS and GSAK users will probably read this and say "WHAT??!!" :D

I admit that it's a somewhat convoluted method but hey, it's worked for me for quite a while.

Only a few more posts and you will no longer be a "Tadpole." :o

This is probably more than you want to consider at this stage, but if you become a Premium Member for only $3.00 per month, you can call yourself anything. :lol:

You will also be able to get 500 caches at a time in Pocket Queries.

Check out GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). :( With it you can filter the caches, Export in whatever format you need to put on your mapping program: Mapsource, Google Earth, Microsoft S&Ts, etc.

Check out Cachemate.

With GSAK and Cachemate and an inexpensive Palm PDA, you can cache "paperless." thumbsup.gif

You have lots of choices with mapping software; it will be a matter of what you like.

For starters, Garmin sells MapSource for their GPS'. The Legend would use MetroGuide. V7 recently came out ($90), but V6 can be found discounted; offroute.com has them for $50. With a laptop, you can connect your Legend to it and use it as an auto-router. If you are planning on upgrading your GPS, you may want to wait to see which model you decide on.

Another popular mapping software is Microsoft Streets & Trips ($40). It does allow GPS connectivity.

The upgraded version of EasyGPS includes only Topo maps. Google Earth is free but uses aerial maps and you can only enter a single set of coords at a time unless you upgrade. But, once you get MapSource, you can transfer all your waypoints into Google Earth.