Pda With Integrated Gps

deanali

Hi,

I currently use a map for caching, but would like to be able to do some multi- caches. I am thinking of getting a PDA with integrated GPS. Are they any good?

I'd like to use it for road navigation (e.g. Tom Tom/Destinator) and for geocaching, as well as a basic PDA. I like the idea of just using one unit rather than a combination. Are these ok for this?

I am not too worried about weather protection. I assume I would also need to use other software for caching (e.g. MemoryMap).

So are these PDA's any good for this or is it a bit of a non starter? Would I just run, say, Tom Tom to drive to the parking spot, then open MemoryMap when there to walk to the cache?

If this is the case any recommendations for pdas/software.

Thanks in advance

Dean

I own a Garmin iQue 3600.... It's a Palm PDA with integrated GPS. I don't regularly use it to hunt for tupperware (but do use it to record logs, decrypt hints etc) but on the few occasions that I have, it's proved to be well up to the job. I don't have it in a plastic box/bag/container (too inconvenient) and it's consequently been rained on and dropped on numerous occasions. It's been 'muddied' and scratched but it's still hanging in there. I don't think that they're as delicate or as vulnerable as some folks would have you believe. I treat mine as a tool.... it has a job to do the same as any other tool. When it eventually fails, I'll replace it and not mourn it's passing or the cost of a replacement. I've had it for two years, it owes me nothing.

Would I just run, say, Tom Tom to drive to the parking spot, then open MemoryMap when there to walk to the cache?

That's exactly what I do :o:o

Haven't used a combined PDA/GPSr myself for caching but a chap a work has got one with SatNav on it (not TomTom) and it works well.

I use and old iPaq 2210 but I don't think they make them any more. My GPSr is a CompactFlash card type, some people prefer bluetooth but that would just be another little box for me to lose ;)<_<

With regards to waterproofing, I intend to buy a waterproof "map style" pouch ASAP. It will work just fine and it beats sitting in the car waiting for the rain and snow to stop so I can do a cache :P

We bought our son a Mio combination for Christmas - PDA/GPS with Tom Tom, etc. He uses it for business as he travels around Europe and he reckons it's the best thing since sliced bread. Dunno whether it would be any good for geocaching but as a system it does what it says on the can...

Software for caching yes Memory Map is good, but to have GPSTuner loaded will make a PDA just like a GPS

Have now ditched gpstuner in favour of BEELINEGPS.

Beelinegps later version now uses gpx file in a datebase so negates the need for gpxsonar as it has all its features.

Things I like in gpstuner were averaging position over time - beep beep beep (beelinegps has averaging now) and the download map feature BUT that was for USA terraserver not UK.

I do not usually buy software, but I paid for Beelinegps (or at least my partners CC did)

Edited by stonefisk

I have an Acer N35 on which I run TomTom for road navigation and Fugawi for off-road. Buying this was the reason I decided ti try cacheing, not the other way round.

So far I've found it fairly robust and pretty accurate but there are pitfalls. The battery life isn't brilliant. I tend to switch it on only at key moments on a long walk. The other problem is that my version of Fugawi (3) doesnt allow waypoints to be inserted manually. I have to use the PC or tap-the-map to put in a point so multi-caches are a little difficult..but still possible...just.

Thanks for the info! Just as I had it narrowed down to two, a new Mio arrives! Loooks good too! But then that one at somerfield is a good price, mmm. Still I have to sell off some junk from my loft on ebay first! Perhaps by then there will be a few more reviews of the new Mio!

Dean

Yep, Moote, the A201 is a cracking machine. It picks up a signal quicker than anything else that I've got and holds it well in urban canyons and under the trees.

Its big advantage over the old Mio's is that it is much more robust, and the mini usb connection will last all the daily plugging ins and unplugging that your typical cache n' dasher subjects it to, unlike the tacky, fragile connecter on the 168.

Its only failing is the positioning and sensitivity of the short cut buttons. You'll switch it to photo-viewer or landscape mode every time you take it out of the case.

With Memory Map and GPS Sonar, you don't need much else, although I still switch to the trusty old Garmin for the close up work, or when its raining.

I use a medion badged version of the mio

Used as satnav in the car

With Fugawi UK for walking

With Beelinggps for geocaching.

Excellent

My brother got one from sommerfield last week for £127 including satnav software. If you are quick you may find a sommerfield with one still in.

What model is yours then???

With Memory Map and GPS Sonar, you don't need much else, although I still switch to the trusty old Garmin for the close up work, or when its raining.

Memory Map and GPXSonar! If you are using Memory Map get a slice of the action of this ace script for use with GSAK

Improved Export From GSAK To Memory Map

With this and the amendments posted near the end of the thread, you can throw away GPXSonar and just use MM with locally cached webpages connected to the icons.

I use a medion badged version of the mio

Used as satnav in the car

With Fugawi UK for walking

With Beelinggps for geocaching.

Excellent

My brother got one from sommerfield last week for £127 including satnav software. If you are quick you may find a sommerfield with one still in.

What model is yours then???

Sorry, that is the medion badged version of the mio 168 (from aldi 12 months ago)

Santa bought me an Acer N35 for christmas. Haven't been able to work out it's finer points but certainly works well in the car as a GPS. Then it's back to the Etrex for the close up work. As we have most of our maps from Anquet we haven't been able to work out how to use them as a detailed walking map solution. Anyone any ideas, or anyone else out there use Anquet?

Santa bought me an Acer N35 for christmas. Haven't been able to work out it's finer points but certainly works well in the car as a GPS. Then it's back to the Etrex for the close up work. As we have most of our maps from Anquet we haven't been able to work out how to use them as a detailed walking map solution. Anyone any ideas, or anyone else out there use Anquet?

The Acer has better accuracy than the etrex ? espceially with the puck in your rucksac.

It's problem is battery power and it's not waterproof. I bought it for £75 and £75 for the alps at 1;25k with memory map. It crashed after I got to the alps and would not take a charge. :laughing:

Etrex Cammo - waterproof but no maps.

The Acer has better accuracy than the etrex ? especially with the puck in your rucksac.

It's problem is battery power and it's not waterproof. I bought it for £75 and £75 for the alps at 1;25k with memory map. It crashed after I got to the alps and would not take a charge. :laughing:

Etrex Cammo - waterproof but no maps.

Edited by Nick_Scots
Anyone any ideas, or anyone else out there use Anquet?

I don't know about the Acer but I use Anquet all the time on a Dell Axim X30 running Windows Mobile 2003

I use a Globalsat BT338 Bluetooth GPS with GPSgate and run Cachemate and Anquet together. Anquet to get close then Cachemate and CacheNav to actually find. With a 2GB card I can hold 4 complete sections of Anquet 50,000 mapping, a cachemate database of about 400 caches, TomTom GB and main roads of western Europe and still have spare space.

Email me through my profile if you want more help.

The problem I can see with combined GPSr/PDAs is if (when) it crashes, you have to restart it, and wait for satellite acquisition again. You have a similar problem if you memorise the map and turn it off between caches to save battery power. These factors meant I bought a Loox720 and a separate bluetooth GPS unit for it.

The problem I can see with combined GPSr/PDAs is if (when) it crashes, you have to restart it, and wait for satellite acquisition again. You have a similar problem if you memorise the map and turn it off between caches to save battery power. These factors meant I bought a Loox720 and a separate bluetooth GPS unit for it.

If it's like my bluetooth GPSr it will turn itself off shortly after it looses communication with the PDA.

I have an A701 with Memory Map and there is no problem with turning on and off, the only thing that happems is the tracking of your route suddenly beomes a straight line between the point you turned off Memory Map to use TomTom to drive to next parking location then start Memory Map. If I was bothered enough about it I could set up the software to use the windows port so that both applications could use the GPS together but I find the non windows GPS port is more accurate and updates more regularly.

In actual fact I would prefer it if Memory Map didnt link the two tracks together becuase they would give a more accurate reading of the distance I walked as opposed to the distance I travelled by car and foot.

The biggest issue of all in ones is the battery life, because the battery is driving a Pocket PC with colour screen, GPS receiver and phone (in case of A701). However this was easily and cheaply solved by a cheap 3000maH battery off ebay, I now get a good 5 hours or so and have the standard 2/3 hour battery as backup if I need it (I never have so far on my average days caching).

My a701 served me loyally, and on 10 Mar we will have spent 2 glorious years together. Sadly, she has to move aside for her slightly chubbier but far more capable friend Kaiser. I hope our time together is as fruitful.

P.S. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then move along quietly and keep printing your cache pages :huh:

My a701 served me loyally, and on 10 Mar we will have spent 2 glorious years together. Sadly, she has to move aside for her slightly chubbier but far more capable friend Kaiser. I hope our time together is as fruitful.

What made you go for a Kaiser? The keyboard?

That was one reason, but it can just do everything the Mio could and much much more. In fact, I can't think of a single thing I would want a PDA/Phone to do that it can't. It really is that good.

If you can afford one (or get an upgrade from Orange), then go for it. You won't regret it.

We use an acer N35 with memory Map,buying this was the reason for starting in Geocaching.

The battery life was a problem when we were out all day walking but bought a battery extender which helps no end,a strip of velcro helps attach it to the back.

Sticking it it map pocket gets over the waterproofing and back up data before setting of as it crashes now and again,restoring only takes 2 mins

We use an acer N35 with memory Map,buying this was the reason for starting in Geocaching.

The battery life was a problem when we were out all day walking but bought a battery extender which helps no end,a strip of velcro helps attach it to the back.

Sticking it it map pocket gets over the waterproofing and back up data before setting of as it crashes now and again,restoring only takes 2 mins

I have one with FUGAWI and Mem Map for the alps, at 1;25k.

Can you link or tell me where you got the battery extender from ?

Ta

Nick

Bought it of ebay,just search for n35 battery extender

Its basically a battery holder or 4AA batteries and an on/off switch,plugs into the bottom as usual.

The only problem with it is the plug marked the wrong way up.

Bought initially for powering the acer whilst on the bike

Its basically a battery holder or 4AA batteries and an on/off switch,plugs into the bottom as usual.

Cheers

Nick

www.semsons.com now

offer at $3 power by 4 AA battaries with optional plug for PDA.

I've just been bought a 4AA type battery extender by MrsPP, and just curious how people use it. Do you run down the PDA to almost flat before recharging it (and if so, how long does a charge from, say, 25% full, take) or do you keep it plugged in the whole time?

realistically, how many hours use can you get from a PDA (mine's a P550) which starts off fully charged, and with 4 full AA batteries?

Cheers all!

Dave

I've just been bought a 4AA type battery extender by MrsPP, and just curious how people use it. Do you run down the PDA to almost flat before recharging it (and if so, how long does a charge from, say, 25% full, take) or do you keep it plugged in the whole time?

realistically, how many hours use can you get from a PDA (mine's a P550) which starts off fully charged, and with 4 full AA batteries?

Cheers all!

Dave

Mine stays plugged in all day when i'm on the bike and with 4 2500 mah batteries in the extender it lasts all day with plenty power to spare.

Out walking all day the PDA will last 4 hours on its own so usually plug in the extender to charge it whilst having lunch then will probs need pluging in later if it goes flat .

Dave

Sorry I'm a bit behind on this thread..

I use a Mio201 predominantly now after LittleYokel and I managed to bust my Legend.

I have MMap TTom Sonar and now Wherigo all loaded and running together.. There is no nead to load any other gps sharing software.. The SIRF3 is very accurate.. I cache with MMap and it is quite easy.. All I need now is for Moote to teach me the finer points of Cachemate.. :anicute::drama: