The Caching Blues

At the moment I’m just not having any luck or fun with caching. The last 6 times I’ve been out caching I have found nothing. The last four of those times I’ve been too despondent about to log as dnfs as they had ALL been found within recent days & I felt so stupid as to not find any of them - especially when the (recent, within a couple days) logs state “Found easily, no problem at all” or “the dog found it” (ok a slight exaggeration but you know what I mean) just to make me feel that little bit smaller and useless. Jeff has even enquired as to whether the GPS is dodgy, but I know its not as the last successful cache we did was absolutely spot on. Each time we’ve not left a stone, fallen log or leaf unturned but came up with nothing.

The worst thing is I have a TB to check in that I have brought on all 6 failed caching attempts. I suppose I could put it in a cache that I already know the location of but I really wanted to move it from Somerset, where I picked it up, to London (where I often cache in/around Richmond/West London though in particular it is the Richmond Park caches that have frustrated me more than once).

Oh heck <_<:o

You really do sound glum and in need of cheering up.

Spare a thouhgt for us poor souls who have organised an Un-kept resolution Event TONIGHT.

Panic is beginning to set in we are now wondering if people will turn up, or if Write and Mane (me) will sit in the pub staring at each other.

Our worst nightmare is loosing some of the TB's, or even the Event Log Book.

We are hoping this evenings meet passes of uneventfully with no major dramatics!

Hope you find some caches soon, will have to keep an eye on your exploits in the future!

Liz H (Mane)

Don't worry, I had some DNF's on one of my caches so I thought I'd check it out but I couldn't find it, so figured it had gone. 2 days later, a found log, then another and another.

I go back, still can't find it.

More finds, apparently it's got wet so needs TLC

<_<

Don't worry, I had some DNF's on one of my caches so I thought I'd check it out but I couldn't find it, so figured it had gone. 2 days later, a found log, then another and another.

<_<

Did you not see the log ? found cache moved 100 yards to a better hiding spot ?

:o:o

We missed out on a record day in the lakes due to 5 DNF's.

My advice to the OP add them to your watchlist youd be surprised how many times the cache has actually gone !

:o

I've got one of those! Everyone can find it apart from me, and it's my cache!! <_<

we've done most of the richmond park caches (one left) and would (need to check in with TPTB, ie wife) be happy to accompany you on a stroll the next time you're up this way. Unfortunately, we can only do weekends, but if that suits, then let us know. I THINK we're fairly free for the next couple, with the proviso above!! :o

Its a funny time of year - we like caching now because the lack of tree cover can give better GPS, BUT those FTFs are all the worse on a grey day! <_<

PM me if you like - and if DragonLass is reading this, are you free and in need of a life to Richmond Park sometime?? Anyone else fancy a mini-meet?? would be good to meet some locals! :o

Dave

Maybe you need to "get your eye in" a little more. Try some easy "1 star" caches, particularly ones with larger containers that can't be hidden away in a tiny hidey hole.

You seem to be interested inmeeting other cachers, so you might pick up a few hints or tips from them.

Good luck and don't give up too prematurely :o

If all else fails, try a location slightly further afield (you might have some devious cache hiders in your area :o<_< ), or try caches with "spoiler pics" showing the location.

Maybe you need to "get your eye in" a little more.

Good advice.

It is too tempting to rely solely on the GPSr sometimes. I think accuracy is generally accepted to be around 20-30 feet, so when searching it could really be as much as 60 feet out (placer and finder x 30')

Nowdays I generally get to maybe 30-40 feet of a cache, put the GPSr in my pocket and start pacing out the distance (1 step per 3'), thinking to myself hmm... where would "I" place a cache around here?

Others will have their own method. Having said that, I do get very frustrated if I can't find a cache afetr 5 minutes searching...

but maybe that's old age.

:o;)<_<:o

Jon

Don't take those 'easy find' logs as gospel.

On the way to the pub for Sunday lunch (some time ago), we called in at a local cache to drop off a TB. We parked up and watched a couple searching the area for ages. We gave up waiting and returned after lunch. When we logged the bug, there was an entry for that day stating 'Easy find'.

Of course, all our finds are easy <_<