Geocaching "six Degrees" ?

DutchHorn

I was pondering the following the other day and I was wondering if anybody here had an answer to this question ??

They claim that all people in the world are connected within six degrees of each other. Apparently you always know somebody who knows somebody else etc. and within six connections you can get around the globe. Well I don't really buy that but that is not the question/discussion item.

I was wondering how long it would take (how many steps) before all geocachers and caches in the world are connected ?? If all the caches and TB's I have found is one step, and then all the geocachers who have found those caches and TB's is the second step, and all the caches those geocachers have found is the next step, then how long (how many steps) would it take before we have all geocachers and caches in the world connected ??

I bet you this would defenitely be within six steps, maybe even less ?? Can somebody actually find this out ??

Very interesting concept.

I took a quick look at your profile and see you found a cache in Colorado called; Boulder Overlook (GC7B0B). This cache was also found by a local New Jersey cacher, NatureBoy44 a couple months earlier.

NatureBoy44 and I have found each others caches and personally know each other.

2 degrees of separation.

If the search function was working I could probably find it, but I think Snoogans had a six degrees of seperation topic a year or so ago.

There was such a thread. I remember it. I won't struggle to find it, but it exists.

As far as the topic of this one, I have cached with CCCooperAgency, and through them am only 2 degrees of separation from pretty much any geocacher in North America.

:o<_<:o

I remember Snoogans' thread, but not Markwell's. I had just discovered caching a few months earlier, but not the forums. It's funny to see some of the then regulars who aren't around here as much any more.

Back OT-I have found caches hidden by both natureboy44 and teamekitt10, so without doing any real work, I'm 3 degrees from the OP. <_<

I have been caching with clan_barron, and CCCooperAgency and have met the Leprechauns and Snoogans, but I don't think I've met docditto, so that puts me only 2 degrees away from everone else in the thread so far. :o

I've met (or cached with) most of the Tennessee cachers with over 1K finds, as well as CCcooper, Snoogans, Carleenp, and GeoPirat (the later probably puts me 1-2 degrees away from most of the cachers in Germany :o ). As for reviewers, I've met max cacher, mtn-man, and Keystone. And during Woodstock III, I spilled a large bottle of barbecue sauce right next to someone that I swear could have been Jeremy's brother (by looks, anyway), but I never figured out that one <_< .

Edited by DavidMac
I was pondering the following the other day and I was wondering if anybody here had an answer to this question ??

They claim that all people in the world are connected within six degrees of each other. Apparently you always know somebody who knows somebody else etc. and within six connections you can get around the globe. Well I don't really buy that but that is not the question/discussion item.

I was wondering how long it would take (how many steps) before all geocachers and caches in the world are connected ?? If all the caches and TB's I have found is one step, and then all the geocachers who have found those caches and TB's is the second step, and all the caches those geocachers have found is the next step, then how long (how many steps) would it take before we have all geocachers and caches in the world connected ??

I bet you this would defenitely be within six steps, maybe even less ?? Can somebody actually find this out ??

Heh, heh. Remember Escape from Reality (GCHN9H)? You placed it and it was the first cache I ever found. I got a GPSr for Christmas that year and was doing the "kid with a new toy" thing. I got my home coordinates, then plugged them in and saw that there was a cache real close by. I found it, signed it and was hooked through both lips.

I now own the cache. Geek-Qualizer had adopted it when you moved, but since I was much closer than he was, I adopted it from him.

So there ya go - one degree between us! :laughing:

So far, I have not cached with or found caches of or had any of the above find any I have found that I know of yet. However, future connections might be that I will be at Snoogans dinner in Texas this May and should get to connect with many of the names I only see here, at that time. But hey, I am connecting with them by just writing on the same thread, right?

If the search function was working I could probably find it, but I think Snoogans had a six degrees of seperation topic a year or so ago.

There was such a thread. I remember it. I won't struggle to find it, but it exists.

As far as the topic of this one, I have cached with CCCooperAgency, and through them am only 2 degrees of separation from pretty much any geocacher in North America.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Brother!

I placed a CCCoopercache in her Happy Cache series.

So far, I have not cached with or found caches of or had any of the above find any I have found that I know of yet. However, future connections might be that I will be at Snoogans dinner in Texas this May and should get to connect with many of the names I only see here, at that time. But hey, I am connecting with them by just writing on the same thread, right?

We are connected by the Drive in Movie Locationless. With all your finds it would not suprise me if my Oregon Trip also crossed paths with your finds.

I thought maybe I was just three steps from DutchHorn: he has been to The Huka Falls (Bay of Plenty) in New Zealand, and so has our travel bug, "the hermit crabs visit New Zealand" -- but although the bug was there (see picture), it was never actually logged it into the cache. Dang!

edit: but the person who had the TB had logged that cache previously. So I guess the shortest link I see is four:

- DutchHorn has been Huka Falls

- saff & tiger have been to Huka Falls

- saff & tiger have retrieved "the hermit crabs visit New Zealand" TB

- "the hermit crabs visit New Zealand" belongs to us

792ddc13-ae1c-46db-a4a8-6f391a7ff866.jpg

Edited by the hermit crabs
So far,  I have not cached with or found caches of or had any of the above find any I have found that I know of yet....

We've both found the Original Stash Tribute Plaque, which has also been found by a number of prominent cachers and even by Dave Ulmer (it was his original stash site, after all). I think that cache alone is enough to connect most cachers together, which brings up another thought to ponder: I wonder if it's possible to link together any two cachers within 6 degrees through the OSTP cache...

:rolleyes::lol::laughing::laughing::laughing: Ok.. clann_barron has found caches by Cableshot, Eagle Dad, The Hobos, Overrover and Legna & Soulbait...To name a few.. they have all logged some of my caches, as has Geo-pirate ...Paint Fiction has logged some caches I have.........and it goes on and on...Hell we've all been to WALMART!

nice thread

I have been caching with clan_barron, and CCCooperAgency and have met the Leprechauns and Snoogans, but I don't think I've met docditto, so that puts me only 2 degrees away from everone else in the thread so far. :laughing:

I have been caching with wimseyguy Snoogans, and CCCooperAgency, met the Leprechauns and DavidMac and found the APE cache placed by Markwell. I guess that puts me only 2 degrees away from most everyone in the thread too. :laughing:

And during Woodstock III, I spilled a large bottle of barbecue sauce right next to someone that I swear could have been Jeremy's brother (by looks, anyway), but I never figured out that one :laughing: .

That would have been his brother Nate who handed out all the white Jeep TBs

As in OpinioNate, or however he spells it?

And during Woodstock III, I spilled a large bottle of barbecue sauce right next to someone that I swear could have been Jeremy's brother (by looks, anyway), but I never figured out that one :laughing: .

Oh, wow. This whole time I had no idea that Nate was Jeremy's brother. I knew that he was there at the event, but never got a good look, so I never put the two together. The rather embarrasing story goes something like this:

During Woodstock III, I had filed in line for some of that great chicken and had worked my way up to the condiments table. Apparently Nate was in line behind me, or in front, I can't remember. We made a little small talk, but the whole time, I was too focused on the food and never got a good look at him or realized who I was talking to. Well, since I'm fond of barbecue sauce, I grabbed one of those plastic bottles with the coney tops and proceeded to drown my lunch in it.

The problem was, not all of the tops to those condiment bottles are produced with very stringent standards, and some of the openings are much smaller than others. I just happened to grab the condiment world's equivalent of a water saving shower head. Wanting to save time and to not hold up the hundreds of hungry geocachers behind me, I figured I could increase the pressure on the bottle a little to get more flow. Yep, it worked, all right. With a Ploosh!, the lid popped off, dumping nearly a pint of sauce on my plate, the table, the ground, and likely a few bystanders. More than slightly embarrassed, I tried my best to get the mess under control, with the help of a few surrounding cachers and dozens of napkins.

At some point during the whole ordeal, I looked up and nearly did a double take. Is that Jeremy?! After another look, I convinced myself that it wasn't him, but I never was sure. And by that point, I figured it would be a little awkward to ask, so I let it go. And it's bugged me to this day.

But, the best part of it is... I'm only one degree away from having spilled barbecue sauce on Jeremy! :laughing:

Here's my ditty...

I know Medic and BackBrakeBilly(not to forget B1/2)...Have cached with The Hobos which in turn all have ties with CCCooper Agency. Two steps :laughing:

I think just as an experiment, we need to pick one person on the left coast and one on the right coast and do the reasearch together. To carry it Global just pick one person and work, let's say east around the globe until it comes back to that person. So who steps up as "THE ONE"?

I found that DutchHorn had found a cache in Utah called "Snakes and Snails" which has also been found by TH&G, who I met last summer at a geocaching event. I don't think there is any shorter seperation than that, but there might be a few just as short. Even though we don't have very many finds, and live in a pretty rural area, we probably have a pretty short degree of seperation from most cachers between having met TH&G (one of the most active TB handlers in Geocaching) and having found "Mingo" in Kansas - a popular cache that remains the oldest active cache.

But, the best part of it is... I'm only one degree away from having spilled barbecue sauce on Jeremy! :laughing:

If that is the case, then I have cached with Mountain bike who caches with Jeremy whose brother you almost spilled sauce on. That means that I am just three degrees from you or one degree if we go through the Original Cache. So I am only one degree from the guy who almost spilled sauce on Jeremy's brother.

Easy one!

We both found Hermetikk in Stavanger, Norway. We even both have found St Etheldreda's in London.

As for 'degrees of Markwell', since GeoPirate have found my cache Small Brown

Horse AND one of the Project APE caches by Markwell there is a close tie to most

of the Norwegian cachers as well.

And since GeoPirate has found one of CCCooperAgency's caches that pretty much

links most norwegians to most of USA well within six degrees. Only counting

regular caches.

hbrx.

[edit: layout & typo]

Edited by hbrx
Well, it's easy to prove that any one of us are only one or two steps away from any of the big number cachers or to folks that post in the forums a lot.

So, how close are you to this guy?  He has two finds and one hide.  His account has been around for over two years and even loged in this month.

No fair. He logged his own cache.

Anyway, Night-Hawk found Cache @ Lovill's Creek Dam. He also found $1.25, which I have logged.

Is that 3?

Edited by sbell111

You found All about mary(GC7E2) september 29th 2004

Team Tigger international found All abut Mary(GC7E2) January 1 2004

I first met TTI at Mission12 blind canal(GC1596) january 7th 2006

would that count as three steps or 6?

Well, it's easy to prove that any one of us are only one or two steps away from any of the big number cachers or to folks that post in the forums a lot.

So, how close are you to this guy? He has two finds and one hide. His account has been around for over two years and even loged in this month.

Elwayno found Cache @ Lovill's Creek Dam jan 4 04\

WE4NCS found Cache @ Lovill's Creek Dam jan 1 04\

CCCooperAgency found Confederate Cemetery

by WE4NCS May 31, 2003\

I've logged CCCA's 10K - Cast Thy Bread TB owned by CCCooperAgency\

4 degrees of seperation

Next question is how do you count?

Since I have cached with Mopar, and Mopar has cached with CCCooperAgency, isd that on degree or two? There is on person between us and one person.

I would say that since I have cached with Mopar, there is no seperateion, and thus, one step to CCCooperAgency.

Actually they found the book that preposed this idea was boogus and not valid. But that is beside the point. There are a number of cachers that are international in their caching activity. I just got my first cache in London but not as good as my caching partner who has multiple states plus multiple countries. So yeah cache around the world.

cheers

Since I have cached with Mopar, and Mopar has cached with CCCooperAgency, isd that on degree or two? There is on person between us and one person.

I would say that since I have cached with Mopar, there is no seperateion, and thus, one step to CCCooperAgency.

I think it's this way:

If you are the person, it's 0.

If you've met the person, it's 1.

If you've met someone who's met the person, it's 2.

Since I have cached with Mopar, and Mopar has cached with CCCooperAgency, isd that on degree or two?  There is on person between us and one person.

I think it's this way:

If you are the person, it's 0.

If you've met the person, it's 1.

If you've met someone who's met the person, it's 2.

I can agree with that.

The next question is... if I find a cache that you have found, is the distance 1 because we "virtually met" by being at the same cache? or is it 2 because you and I share a cache as a common point?

Interesting regurgitation of the thread...

I particularly like Centaur's post in the original Markwell thread:

I dunno... I think we need new rules here. icon_smile.gif

If you find a Cache that has been found by Markwell, thats a 1.

But I think if you find a Cache that has been placed by Markwell, that can be a 0.5

Then if you actually find Markwell, that can be a 0.25....

Then if you find his wallet, that can be a free trip to Disneyland...  icon_wink.gifPS.  And yes, Travelers and travel bugs should count.

What if someone finds my sunglasses?

cacher contacting you from Geocaching.com

Date: 12/30/2002 11:49:47 AM

User cacher has contacted you with the following message:

Hello, mtn-man, gpsfun, Hikenit, and Markwell -

We logged a visit to the Tribute to Cumberland Trail cache on December 28th, after your visit to the cache on December 26th. We found a pair of sunglasses on the trail, somewhere after we crossed the suspension bridge and started up the hill, and before we got to the small cascade flowing down to the creek.

The glasses were clean and on top of the leaves and obviously recently lost. They have a dark pewter color frame, and small rectangular dark grey lenses. The frame is only the front bridge piece, without temples, and looks to be a magnetic insert for prescription glasses (or ???).

If the sunglasses belong to you or one of your group, or if you know anyone else (of the many hikers) who was on that trail recently, you can contact us by e-mail...Thanks.

happy caching -

cacher

They were mailed back to me.

And then on another cache...

icon_sad.gifOctober 21, 2003 by Markwell

Dang. I was going to try and make it a two-for-one day, and missed. I was running late, but I zeroed the coordiantes and still couldn't find it. I don't doubt that the cache is still there; I doubt my abilities to find it.  Also - I lost my clip-on magnetic sunglasses out there. I'll definitely be back.

icon_smile.gifOctober 31, 2003 by JBGeo

Did not find Markwell's clip-on magnetic sunglasses but did find the cache after about 20 minutes. Was dark out and was searching with a flashlight. Nice hide and a very interesting cache container. Have never seen one of these before. TNLN (Duh!) SL TFTMC!

icon_smile.gifNovember 1, 2003 by Unk

First, I have to say that I think I saw a pair of sunglasses next to the tree. I did also remark that they had no "arms" on them; now, reading these logs, I see that they may have been Markwell's clip-ons. Incidentally, Markwell, you were very close to the cache if those are your shades! I think this cache was at least 25-30 feet off the coordinates.

icon_smile.gifNovember 3, 2003 by Markwell

Those were my shades, and I've now found the cache.

I no longer wear magnetic clip-on sunglasses. :lol:

Edited by Markwell