Non-cacher Entries In Log Book

vhs07

Was out at one of my caches this weekend and while reading the logs, noticed where someone stumbled upon it and wrote that he came upon it while out "looking for deer".

He ( or she ) was kind enough to replace as found. I thought this was kind of neat and unusual. I was wondering if this happens much?

Not sure if it happens often but in the past 3 months we've come across 2 of these. One was a micro placed in the base of a parking lot light and the ground crew logged that they had noticed some activity at it different times and decided to check it out...thought it was neat AND the other was a not so nice note from the property owner asking someone to remove it so we did since no one else had bothered and let the cache owener know.

I did this cache El Jeffe's Cache in Upper Park for my 200th cache. It's a nice hike up a canyon rim. It was a beautiful day and I sat and read the entire log book while looking out over the canyon. The cache had been found (if I remember correctly) 4 times by geology students from the local university. They were checking out the interesting strata on the ridge and found the ammo can in an alcove in the rock face. Each time they had entered a log in the book commenting on how they thought this (geocaching) was a cool idea and a comment on the day and then they returned the cache to its proper location. Very cool. :o

Picture from the cache site

1bbd8c6e-c70c-440d-ae86-0ea6edc5feb7.jpg

I have a small cache in an out-of -the -way cemetery that has been found several times by non-cachers. Only once did someone "muggle" the cache and even then it looked like some small schildren found the neat toybox and their parents tried to fix things up.

It's been a neat way to introduce new folks to the game.

I can recall at least 4 caches where they even took something and left something.

The first they were hunters who ran across the ammo box and they left a nice log entry as well as feathers from "the kill."

The second was at an overlook and logged by a young couple that left their college id's in exchange for swag.

The third logged they thought it was a bomb. (But for some stupid reason they opened the ammo box that was way out in the woods.) They were kind enough to leave a beer for the next finder.

The fourth ammo box was logged "If you're reading this I p*ssed in this box." It must have happened well in the past because it was dry and had no odor.

Edited by Geo-Deputy

The first finder of my Fall Creek's 2nd Falls was a hunter who stopped to rest on the log it was hidden under. After reading the cache page he logged his find and made a trade. He would make a good cacher since he put a better item in the cache then he took for his daughter. <_<

edited for spelling again.

Edited by Night Stalker

One of our caches was placed in an area frequented by mountain bikers. We thought it was hidden well, but apparently a lot of riders thought the log it was under was pretty neat to include in their track and as a result, they noticed the cache as they passed over it. We had quite a few log entries in the logbook from mountain bikers (although none logged online as far as we could tell) and some interesting trade items (water bottle cages, spoke wrenches, etc) from their visits. The logs were uniformly positive.

Jon

I have a cache on a Rails to Trails that has many many many more muggle than cacher finds. Nice logs mostly, but folks tend NOT to put it back where they found it. I finally gave up on the small trading cache (which was under an old rail bridge, an area that folks would explore) and changed it to a heavily camo'ed micro. No muggle finds since then. The muggle finds were okay, except for the leaving the cache in some new spot - I really struggled finding it on a number of ocassions, as did other cachers.

a fellow cacher and i were all amped up to be ftf on a 5 star cache hidden on the top of a mountain! we finally got ready to take the hill and stormed up!!! after a long hot hike we get to the cache site and find it sitting in the open. opened it up and its signed!!!!!! by a muggle!!!!! that very morning!!! we did not log it as ftf' though the muggle didnt log it on the website! <_<:o:o;)

Dr Strangelove's Bombshelter had a bunch of crime scene tape <_< nearby and a crime scene investigator had found the cache and left their business card in it. He had heard of geocaching a few weeks before so just put his card in and left it alone. Someone emailed him asking for details but he could give none other than to say there was no danger to geocachers. Still don't know what went on there.

I have seen it a bunch of times here in Southern Maryland, a few times people have taken the cache home to investigate and then returned it nearby.

In a nearby puzzle cache, a muggle found the second stage and then decided to hide her own "tuperware" nearby. Since she had no idea what geocaching was and didn't have a GPSr, she left makeshift "Letterbox" style instructions to get to her treasure. After the owner finally found her cache he added it on to his puzzle as a bonus cache. Since then after leaving notes and such for her, the local caching community has gotten her to join the site and come to a few events.

Many of the mountaintop caches I've visited have had at least one Muggle entry in the log. There's a long tradition of summit registers and other mountaintop souvenirs, totems, fetishes, letters, shrines, etc. so climbers/hikers tend to idly turn over rocks and unpile cairns in search of these mysteries.

I see it a lot. In caches I visit and the many I've placed.

On one hand, as a finder, it's nice to see the comments from folks who've stumbled across the game.

On the other hand, as a hider, maybe it's a sign that you need to hide your cache a little better? A good geocache hide should be invisible to muggles even when they're staring straight at it. An excellent geocache hide should be invisible to muggles even when they're sitting on it.

This was the funniest muggle log I've ever seen:

df5cb578-5dd2-441b-a47d-42415cf10c99.jpg

The cache is actually very well-cammoed -- for winter or springtime. In the dry summer or fall, the green foliage on the decon container is a bit more obvious. :o

The other day we found two caches that had been found by people out shooting. They wrote in the log book and left behind live bullets <_< . . . which we removed.

I have seen it a bunch of times here in Southern Maryland, a few times people have taken the cache home to investigate and then returned it nearby.

In a nearby puzzle cache, a muggle found the second stage and then decided to hide her own "tuperware" nearby. Since she had no idea what geocaching was and didn't have a GPSr, she left makeshift "Letterbox" style instructions to get to her treasure. After the owner finally found her cache he added it on to his puzzle as a bonus cache. Since then after leaving notes and such for her, the local caching community has gotten her to join the site and come to a few events.

Nifty. :o<_<

I've had a couple of non-cachers log my caches, one of them before any cachers found it! My personal favorite 'muggle' log was on a cache in South Carolina (GC9051). An INMATE who was on cleanup in the park located the cache from the road. They not only signed the log, they traded items! (although their trade was a condom) <_< I thought it was pretty cool that this person, who was where they were for not following the rules, took the time to read the "What is this" note and then followed the rules exactly. :o