"too Hard?"

salmoned

I'm assuming the nickname is reffering to some Hawaiin mythology. A quick google gives me a few possiblities: Kane, Elieli, Eli, Kane Ulu Lani, Kane Nui Akea

I guess I'd start looking for references to some iteration of some of those.

Having successfully found one of edchens puzzles (Easy as Pie), and DNF'ing another (Rise of the Machines), I can attest to the creativity put into these things. I'm guessing that solving the puzzle is only half the story. Retrieving the cache is probably more than half the battle :huh:

Is this cache too hard to find? It's meant to be tough, but I wonder if anyone can figure out the first location? I've given a number of clues (when requested) via our local BB, but they're as likely to disinform as vice versa. Any avid puzzle solvers out there?

No cache is "too hard", it's your abilities that aren't good enough - yet!

Heck, this cache doesn't even have a description :lol:

Wow, 4 months and not even an attempt at it? That would never fly in these parts. Must not be that many cachers in Hawaii.

Well, there have been attempts both physical and mental, but since 'DNF = Loser' no DNFs have remained posted. I have tried to clarify in the listing that searching is useless until the first hide location is determined. Also, additional (nebulous) hints have been posted on our local bulletin board, though I'm not sure how helpful they may prove [see http://www.hawaiithreads.com/forumdisplay.php?t=6792]. I am officially reinstating the $20 reward for first to e-mail me with the location and/or coordinates of the first hide. This cache was to be the first (and easiest?) of a series of similar 'intuitive thinking' caches, but apparently one man's easy...

Edited by edchen

Is this cache too hard to find? It's meant to be tough, but I wonder if anyone can figure out the first location? I've given a number of clues (when requested) via our local BB, but they're as likely to disinform as vice versa. Any avid puzzle solvers out there?

I don't know if it's too hard to solve or not as I haven't really spent much time thinking about it. But the fact that you are getting questions about it DOES puzzle me because Nereus doesn't answer questions unless he's caught and changes shape to avoid being caught. Old Man of the Sea seems like a good place to start in Hawaii (as a nickname), but I don't know any Hawaiian legends relating to an "Old Man of the Sea"... Although the bay or lake next to your phony co-ords does sort of seem to resemble an old man if you use Google Maps to view it. He has sort of a long nose. Now it would be interesting if you had started a Nereus travel bug somewhere that kept changing caches to avoid being caught. I haven't checked that out though. It would have also been a cool play on words "Near us" or something like that. I won't be able to pick it up anyhow even if I am on the right trail (I doubt it, but maybe it will key in someone who is) because I won't get to Honolulu any time soon :laughing:

Edited by roboknight

An update: I haven't heard from anyone having found any part of this cache yet. The $20 prize is for non-locals not planning to visit soon, since a pure gold bullion prize is offered for the first to find the hides in sequential order. Here's a big hint - there's not much advantage (if any) for locals in determining the first location. Thanks for the interest in this cache.

I don't know if it's too hard to solve or not as I haven't really spent much time thinking about it. But the fact that you are getting questions about it DOES puzzle me because Nereus doesn't answer questions unless he's caught and changes shape to avoid being caught. Old Man of the Sea seems like a good place to start in Hawaii (as a nickname), but I don't know any Hawaiian legends relating to an "Old Man of the Sea"... Although the bay or lake next to your phony co-ords does sort of seem to resemble an old man if you use Google Maps to view it. He has sort of a long nose. Now it would be interesting if you had started a Nereus travel bug somewhere that kept changing caches to avoid being caught. I haven't checked that out though. It would have also been a cool play on words "Near us" or something like that. I won't be able to pick it up anyhow even if I am on the right trail (I doubt it, but maybe it will key in someone who is) because I won't get to Honolulu any time soon :P

The film version of Hemmingway's "The Old Man and the Sea" was partly shot in Kona, but that doesn't narrow it down too much.

I think I may be on to something but can not figure out how it helps me figure out the coords for stage one. I will post here and maybe if someone figures it out then we can split the $30. <_<

Nereus nickname = old man of the sea = old man and the sea (not ishmael) = Ahab

But how could Ahab give me the correct coords?

Or maybe I am barking up the wrong tree.

andGuest

I'm thinking Nereus's nickname is "Old Gentleman", rather than "old man of the sea"

But Pontos, the great sea, was father of truthful Nereus who tells no lies, eldest of his sons. They call him the Old Gentleman because he is trustworthy, and gentle, and never forgetful of what is right, but the thoughts of his mind are mild and righteous. — Hesiod, Theogony 233

In who's translation did you find that? Translations of Hesiod and Homer were indeed among the sources used. Also, I'm bumping up the prize for determining (and e-mailing) the first hide location to $40. This offer will hold until first solved or until the cache has been listed for 1 year. Good luck.

hummmm a trekkee amoung us i see!!! HHHHHHHUUUUUUUUMMMM!!!!! boy this would be nice if i wasnt 3000 miles away!!!! and for those of us on the main land the messages on the hawaii bulletin board are either in hawiian (native language) or some of em look to be either vulcan or romulan.(its been a while OK) if i knew more about tha surrounding area i might be able to help!!! hey edchen am I getting the least bit warm???

Edited by flyingRfarms

vyper4, wow! You guested right, but failed to e-mail me! andersonranchero picked up on it and shot out an e-mail, so he gets the prize! He says thanks.

... April fools.

flyingRfarms, who says I'm a trekkie? I may be... okay I am, but this [cache] has nothing to do with that (unless my subconscious undid me). Being nearby is no advantage in solving for the first hide - anyone could figure it out (or intuit it).

I plan to attend a CITO event this saturday and may provide an additional clue at that time (if anyone asks for one). If so, it will be posted by monday.

I'm thinking Nereus's nickname is "Old Gentleman", rather than "old man of the sea"

But Pontos, the great sea, was father of truthful Nereus who tells no lies, eldest of his sons. They call him the Old Gentleman because he is trustworthy, and gentle, and never forgetful of what is right, but the thoughts of his mind are mild and righteous. — Hesiod, Theogony 233

Yeah, I've seen the reference to Old Gentleman as well, and it may be more acurate, but he also seems to have some reference as the old man of the sea according to some other sources and definitions, which I thought might better fit HI. However, it seems that is little help thus far. Unless it is some veiled reference to a far off place, like NH, where the Old Man of the Mountain no longer resides, but I doubt it. Are a good deal of people spending time on this one? I'm curious because I've noticed little activity in this thread since I was here last. I would have figured someone would have claimed the gold bullion by now.

Claimed the gold bullion? No one's even claimed the $40 for figuring out the first hide location. I made an attempt at the final location yesterday, to check on it, but couldn't make it. I've been there twice, but that doesn't make it any easier. I'll take another stab within the next 2 weeks (after I recuperate).

Congratulations to ShadowAce! He has e-mailed claiming to have the location of the first hide. Upon confirmation, he will be awarded the $40 FTS prize. I was seriously worried this mystery may have been beyond the ken of mortal man. There's still the gold bullion up for grabs (but ShadowAce has an edge now).

I was going through my watchlist today and noticed this one. When I checked the cache page I saw that it's gone unfound for over a year and there are no DNFs or notes (other than one by the hider).

Did ShadowAce actually win the prize for solving the puzzle?

Is anyone still working on this?

Yes, I have it from a reliable source that ShadowAce has received the $40 prize. Unfortunately, this cache may soon be disabled and/or archived due to technical difficulties. In any case, no secrets will be revealed as the cache (and concept) may undergo resurrection. High difficulty caches fill an important niche in this activity and are, by definition, 'NOT FOR EVERYBODY'.