Comments On Updates

WitzAbout

I noticed the waypoint name on the upper right in big, block letters in the last couple of weeks - I like it.

I was just on the gc.com site for a little while this afternoon. I was looking over the geocaches hidden - then clicked view-all, but it came up empty. Because all the hidden items where in the TB class. And I thought to myself, boy, those TB items reallty are in a class by themselves.

Net 10 mintues later, I'm looking at a different cacher's profile. For some odd reason, this cacher had 4 bulleted items instead of the 3 tabbed entries. The new entry was collectables! I though maybe this user had a special profile that let them have this method instead of the tabbed format. So I checked my profile - it had 4 bullets too! Almost as if reading my mind, the new feature came online as I was browsing!

I think I'll miss the tabs a little - but I really like that they have seperated the classes: caches vs. TBs [collectables].

There is one more thing I'd love to see them add to this feature. When I am looking at these items, especially the gallary, it would be really nice to know how many items are in each (or at least if it is empty). I dislike clicking on gallary only to find it empty. Why have a link that looks like it will give you something when there isn't anything? It should be a disabled link or show zero items when there isn't anything to see in the other catagories.

I'd like to see the collectibles tab changed to a travellers tab.

No need to encouarage people to collect TBs any more thatn they already do.

Agreed! I don't think "collectibles" is the right term for it...I know if that was the term used when I started caching I would have been very confused about the items I found. How soon before a new cacher decides to "collect them all" :anibad:

Otherwise, nice feature...just bad name...travellers or something else would be better, but collectibles is just a bad idea.

Celticwulf

I really like the new profile pages and I like the navigation stuff in the upper right of the cache pages. I also like the new colors of the cache logs but they could use a little space between them (or something else to separate them better). They look cluttered being right on top of each other.

I noticed one issue. On my newest cache, the page gets sized beyond the edge of the screen so I have to scroll horizontally to see everything. There are photos, but they fit on the screen and the whole page width stayed on the screen previously.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Rocket Man

Almost perfect. NGS Benchmarks are still listed under the Geocaches tab, which of course they aren't. Maybe they can be separated from the geocaches by skipping a line or two under "Total Caches Found" and then listing them there. That way you could get rid of all of the asterisks on that page as well.

Thanks for all the great changes!

I love the tracking number on the Travel Bug pages!

And the thumbnail photo previews in logs on cache pages that have photos are great!

But I noticed that the names of cachers in the logs on cache pages are no longer bold. The date of the log is still bold, but the cacher's names are just regular fonts. It used to be very easy to scan down a page and spot a cacher's name when it was bold. Any chance that this will be added back later on?

A couple of quick notes on HTML things that could use a fix:

Searching - seek/nearest.aspx

On a Mine/"My Cache" icon, the ALT tag is missing the equals sign (and quotes?)

Recient logs link from main page - seek/history.aspx

alt='Didn't find it'

surrounded by single-quotes (apostrophy) and has an apostrophy in the middle of the string. Should probably be surrounded by double-quote like on the log page

Another quick comment on the updates.

I noticed that the long description in no longer indented. But now that means there is no obvious separation from the short description.

Perhaps adding an HR, or if there is no HTML is the descriptions, you could do that neat color boxing that you have added to the logs.

PS - I love the javascript decode option! Nice!

I also like the new colors of the cache logs but they could use a little space between them (or something else to separate them better).  They look cluttered being right on top of each other.

I see that space has been added. The logs look great now.

I noticed one issue.  On my newest cache, the page gets sized beyond the edge of the screen so I have to scroll horizontally to see everything.  There are photos, but they fit on the screen and the whole page width stayed on the screen previously.

This is now fixed also. Sweet.

Thanks,

Rocket Man

I was curious if the Ignore Cache Button will be added back to the cache page. I can add to a watchlist; but I can not ignore a cache.

I don't know why the Ignore button is gone, but you can still ignore a cache by clicking "bookmark listing" on the cache page, and then selecting the Ignore bookmark list.

I think you only have an "Ignore" bookmark list if you have previously ignored a cache. So I think you need the Ignore link on the cache page to create the list in the first place.

I can no longer change the text size. I have the browser set to largest text but it does not make a difference. It is really difficult to read the tiny text I get on Geocaching web pages now.

I have the same problem, all other web pages including the forums is staying at the desired size, but GC.com is in small text, which is a strain on the eyes.

Also the cache maintenance option is a great idea, however most people that find a cache that requires maintenance are people who have found it, having it as a log option requires the finder to post two logs, one to find and one to highlight maintenance, is there any chance that it can be changed to a highlight box, like the adding co-ords box, so that it can all be done with the one log?

I can no longer change the text size.  I have the browser set to largest text but it does not make a difference.  It is really difficult to read the tiny text I get on Geocaching web pages now.

I have the same problem, all other web pages including the forums is staying at the desired size, but GC.com is in small text, which is a strain on the eyes.

I'm surprised by this. On Firefox the fonts are actually in line with IE now when before they were much smaller. Also changing font sizes on the site seem to work fine. Make sure you hold down shift and click refresh to get the latest CSS file.

Also the cache maintenance option is a great idea, however most people that find a cache that requires maintenance are people who have found it, having it as a log option requires the finder to post two logs, one to find and one to highlight maintenance, is there any chance that it can be changed to a highlight box, like the adding co-ords box, so that it can all be done with the one log?

Log entries are treated as actions and need to be separated by log type. Finding something and notifying the owner and others that the cache needs maintainence are two different actions on the listing. It is also, IMO, a nice safety to those who may overuse the log type.

Make sure you hold down shift and click refresh to get the latest CSS file.

I'm obviously having problems, so advice would be appreciated.

I am on AOL 9 but I believe the browser is governed by IE.

When the changes where first made, I refreshed whilst holding down Ctrl & Alt, this immediately changed my font size on the site. But not any other site.

I have been back on IE and checked that I am still set on the larger option which I am. I have now done as you have suggested and refreshed whilst holding down the shift key, but the page has still got small font.

I am at a loss so help would be appreciated?

In your browser click the menu "Help" and choose whatever "About" option you have. What is the name and version number of the browser?

Is this the information you require/

AOL 9.0

for Windows 98, Windows Millennium, Windows 2000 and Windows XP

Revision 4156.630 powered by Packard Bell

© 1992 - 2004, America Online, Inc.

All Rights Reserved

IE

Version:6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-151915

Does that help?

I've got to say that I love the changes, except: I can't seem to view my own profile page unless I log out and then log back in under the wife's account. Then, I have to go through the 'lookup another player' link to get to my own profile page. Kind of hard to edit it when you don't know what it looks like!

What happened to the 'View My Profile' link in the 'My Account' section?

Aha! I found a 'View My Profile' link, but you have to edit your profilein order to see it. Could it also be put back on the main 'My Account' page, please?

It is there... just click on your name on the top right of the page... once there, clikc on your little stats bar on the top right side of the page. That will take you to your profile.

Aha! I found a 'View My Profile' link, but you have to edit your profilein order to see it. Could it also be put back on the main 'My Account' page, please?

It is there... just click on your name on the top right of the page... once there, clikc on your little stats bar on the top right side of the page. That will take you to your profile.

Thanks I just now noticed that the link is in the "stat's bar" on the My Account page. I was getting rather frustrated trying to setup the newest addition to the family's account!