Few New Changes

H to the Bizzle!

f you select "My Account -> Travel Bugs -> List all travel bugs you ... have found" it actually gives a list showing all trackables combined. (This is not new; it has always been like that.)

yes, thats a list of all the bugs i have moved, but there is no way to tell if they've seen any action since i've touched it. it only shows the date i saw it. i sort them by "last log" on the "list all travelbugs" page. i'd just like the coins included in that.

ben

f you select "My Account -> Travel Bugs -> List all travel bugs you ... have found" it actually gives a list showing all trackables combined. (This is not new; it has always been like that.)

yes, thats a list of all the bugs i have moved, but there is no way to tell if they've seen any action since i've touched it. it only shows the date i saw it. i sort them by "last log" on the "list all travelbugs" page. i'd just like the coins included in that.

ben

??

No, it lists them by last log, not by your log date.

...Ah, I see, I think maybe you are thinking of a different series of links: You are talking about:

My ACcount -> Show all logs for ... Bugs (and then possibly -> Show: Retrieve it from a cache).

That's not what I mean.

Go to My Account.

Up at the top line of links (the one that starts with "Quickview"), click on Travel Bugs.

On the new page that pops up, over on the right, look for this:

"List travel bugs you own or have found."

Click the "have found" part.

That will give you exactly what you're looking for, all coins included, showing most recent log dates.

when I go to the Gallery, the last row of pictures are cut off half way through the middle. I think that's the only thing that I've found that's still broken, so far.

There's a similar issue on the Trackables page. If I look at the page of someone with a long list of coins, in Firefox 1.5 (on Windows) the list gets chopped off at the bottom. In IE it's okay.

Here's what the end of Snoogans' trackables-found list looks like:

Firefox:

3716c079-22f4-4848-8f50-786c0be2f322.jpg

IE:

fdc85469-55cd-4e01-bb35-da2e38932682.jpg

Same here. All you have to do is reload the page and it's OK until you have to bring up a new browser.

The new stylesheet changes ignore or override some of the UBB code that we can use in cache logs. For example, user-added hyperlinks in cache logs are no longer underlined on the page itself, and bold no longer works. Actually, for hyperlinks, the underline appears once you hover over it, but there is no way to know it's a link unless you hover over it. I haven't tested other commands.

That said, underlined links and bold work fine if you "view the log entry on a separate page".

I agree that the cache page should display the log entry text the same way it does when you view a log separately. The UBB code (especially for hyperlinks) should display properly on the cache page, as it previously did.

Has anyone at geocaching.com acknowledged this problem? Is it on their TO DO list? It is a feature I would like to see restored.

I think there is a problem in the decrypt function when there is a longer hint.

For example see the new cache: GCT179

The cache owner has some lines which show up correctly encrypted, but using the decrypt button hides the text and the page is smaller in length.

I'm curious where the problem is in the above mentioned cache.

Greetings Jan-Willem PA3FUS.

The problem has been solved, there was a fault in the HTML code at the end of the cache description. The page has been corrected and now the decypt / encrypt function is working as expected. :blink:

Greetings Jan-Willem, PA3FUS.

Whitespace between the logs! Great! One little thing about that: the text "[upload an image for this log]" is still at the very bottom of the log; it would be better to move it after (i.e. on the same line) the text "[view/edit logs/images on a separate page]".

Thanks!

Yes, it seems that the solution put into place to open up the log cells was to alter the padding style attribute for TD.containerRow and TD.containerAltRow to be just 2px all around, and then insert an extra <br>. But the extra <br> insertion is happening at the wrong spot. It should happen after ALL table cell data has been output, including the [upload an image for this log] link. The styles are already set with a vertical-align of "middle", so the extra <br> approach is effectively negating that. Personally, I would have just adjusted the padding attribute to provide additional equal margin at top and bottom, and not put the extra <br> in. But that's just me. I do this kind of CSS stuff all day long, and when you do it for a living, you just kind of develop your own opinions about the way things should be done. Oh well. It's not my site. Wish it was, but it's not. C'est la vie.

We checked the pages agains the latest browers, IE 6, FF 1.5, Opera 1.5.1 & Netscape 8.  I didn't have a mac to check against or linux but I'll find a way to rectify that.

We have FF1.0.7 and it wasn't broken. It worked fine until your latest "Updates".

Why should we need to update when our browser works with ALL the other sites we go to?

Thanks, but no thanks!

John

The Print-friendly version only prints data on the left two thirds of a page as the Inventory column seems to take up the other (blank) third, which is going to take a lot more paper to print cache pages. Also the font is now Times New Roman which way not as nice as the old font.

As an addendum to my original post, the new Decrypt feature is not as smooth on the Print-friendly pages either.

Part of the problem is that the decrypt routine should change the URL of the Printer Friendly link so that it opens that page in the same decrypt status as the primary page, at the time it's clicked. That's currently not happening.

The new stylesheet changes ignore or override some of the UBB code that we can use in cache logs. For example, user-added hyperlinks in cache logs are no longer underlined on the page itself, and bold no longer works. Actually, for hyperlinks, the underline appears once you hover over it, but there is no way to know it's a link unless you hover over it. I haven't tested other commands.

That said, underlined links and bold work fine if you "view the log entry on a separate page".

I agree that the cache page should display the log entry text the same way it does when you view a log separately. The UBB code (especially for hyperlinks) should display properly on the cache page, as it previously did.

Has anyone at geocaching.com acknowledged this problem? Is it on their TO DO list? It is a feature I would like to see restored.

The problem appears to be caused by using the same CSS description for logs as is used in the Navigation box (I haven't actually opened up the CSS code to confirm, but it seems likely). In the Navigation box, they're obviously intended to be links, so the "underline only when hovered" isn't that bad. But in a log, making links disappear is probably not the best of ideas. I know there's still some tweaks that need to be made, and hopefully they'll get to this one pretty soon.

We have FF1.0.7 and it wasn't broken. It worked fine until your latest "Updates".

The problem is really with FF 1.0.7. There were bugs in the way it rendered some pages. That was fixed with FF 1.5. I understand there is also a problem caused by GreaseMonkey. The new CSS brought up the bug in FF 1.0.7 as I understand it. It really is easy to upgrade to FF 1.5. Try that and it should work for you.

The problem is really with FF 1.0.7. There were bugs in the way it rendered some pages. That was fixed with FF 1.5. I understand there is also a problem caused by GreaseMonkey. The new CSS brought up the bug in FF 1.0.7 as I understand it. It really is easy to upgrade to FF 1.5. Try that and it should work for you.

The last time we upgraded FF we lost all the plug-ins we had and could not get some of them back. Of course it was the ones we used the most!

Thanks, but No thanks,

I guess we will just do without rather than spend time and effort for an upgrade for things that just aren't worth the trouble to us.

I guess backward compatibility no longer applies?

John

I guess backward compatibility no longer applies?

Hi John

That is something you should take up with the Firefox people IMO. I don't think it is fair to blame GC.com for Firefox issues.

I upgraded to 1.5 without dramas and kept all my plugins. Maybe your Firefox iusses are best discussed in Firefox related forums.

Andrew

We checked the pages agains the latest browers, IE 6, FF 1.5, Opera 1.5.1 & Netscape 8. I didn't have a mac to check against or linux but I'll find a way to rectify that.

I know it won't be the best way, but I should be home most of the day Friday if you want to call me and I can try stuff on my Mac. Good news is, it is a local call. Email me if you want to do that.

Linux I can't help with.

I get chopped tabs when I'm viewing a profile as well - while viewing it in Firefox (1.0.7). It looks fine in IE, though.

Firefox 1.5 is a resource hog and too buggy for me to want to move up to just yet. I don't see how a site that is fully WC3 compiant would have these problems, that's all (not a gripe, just a thought).

Here's a screenshot of what I see:

profile_tabs.jpg

Firefox 1.5 is a resource hog and too buggy for me to want to move up to just yet. I don't see how a site that is fully WC3 compiant would have these problems, that's all (not a gripe, just a thought).

You have it wrong though. Firefox 1.0.7 doesn't render CSS correctly. It is listed as one of the known bugs of that browser.

Firefox does not seem to be too happy with the changes <_<

Tabs along the top of profiles are missing.

List of items in collectable runs off the box into unseen area.

I have this same problem. No tabs for "geocaches" "trackables" or "Gallery" on profile page. I can see part of them and can still use them. Anyone got a solution???

I have this same problem. No tabs for "geocaches" "trackables" or "Gallery" on profile page. I can see part of them and can still use them. Anyone got a solution???

Ditto.

Ditto.

You need FF 1.5

We checked the pages agains the latest browers, IE 6, FF 1.5, Opera 1.5.1 & Netscape 8.  I didn't have a mac to check against or linux but I'll find a way to rectify that.

Why should we need to update when our browser works with ALL the other sites we go to?

Thanks, but no thanks!

John

Because the code in FF1.0.7 sucks. Why would FF issue an update if it was perfect. Get a grip!

Ditto.

I just solved the problem (I hope). I downloaded Firefox 1.5 and the problem went away. Now I'm just praying I didn't create another problem somewhere else.

Thanks, but no thanks!

John

Because the code in FF1.0.7 sucks. Why would FF issue an update if it was perfect. Get a grip!

Maybe they are just like Microsoft? When we first got Windows XP way back when, it had this nifty new feature called automatic updates. Wow we thought. Then we found out after using it that there were alerts not to use certain updates. The alerts came out about 3 weeks after we downloaded that "Critical Update" and installed it (highly recommended by MS at the time it was installed). Later they came out with SP1 which we dutifully installed. It took 6 Months to get the computer to work almost as smoothly as it did before that "Critical Update"!

Forgive me, but all those "Critical Updates' just don't hold water!

The site did their updates and FF1.0.7 isn't compatible with their programming now. They feel we are the problem and want us to upgrade to their standards?

Funny how FF1.0.7 was good enough until now.

We don't really need to spend the $30 for premium membership if they feel it is our problem and WE need to fix OUR system.

John

I'm waiting for them to fix Firefox 1.5 before I upgrade to it. I didn't realize there was a problem with 1.0.7 and CSS (first I've heard of it). All I know is that I had a lot more problems with 1.5 than I ever did with 1.0.7 - so I down-graded and have been happy ever since. Now there's a compatibility issue with geocaching.com - but I'll learn to live with it for now.

You can hover over the profile tabs "nub" and see what it does in the status bar. It's just a matter of getting used to it, for those who don't want to upgrade to Firefox 1.5 just yet.