Few New Changes

H to the Bizzle!

This is happening in logs as well. Links aren't underlined until you hover over them, which is kind of pointless. The important thing is to tell the user that it is a link.  As anyone who's read Web Pages That Suck knows, usability shouldn't be sacrificed for CSS effects that look "cool".

Thanks for pointing this out. We often use links in our logs to make them more interesting or informative. We agree that it is very important for the reader to be aware that there is a link contained within the text.

The new picture function is a bit hit or miss as the size of the images are not consistant nor are they placed on the screen so that they can bee seen. Have a look at Corrie and then hover over the cache page photos as listed below. Heritage Trail in particular cant be seen.

Corstorphine Dovecot

Corstorphine Parish Church

Directory

Heritage Trail

Welcome

Nice changes!! Some remarks:

• "Inventory - There are no Travel Bugs in this cache." should read "Inventory - There are no Trackables in this cache."
  • The text size on TB and cache pages is not affected anymore by the (IE) setting "Large size text"; however, the text in the logs still is. I prefer it all to be affected by this setting, but consistency should be applied.
  • Underline the Bookmark listings, since they are clickable. Same for Navigation menu. If not, the underlined links in the Inventory should become normal text, to achieve consistency.
  • All the fonts are Verdana, which is very nice; however, several font sizes are used, which gives a bit of a messy look.
  • The text "Note: The user gallery currently only contains images for cache logs. We will be adding other log images in the near future." can be removed on all profile tabs except the Gallery.
  • The asterisks can be removed in the Geocaches Tab in the Profile - they are no longer needed to show which caches add up to the total.
  • The date in a log is way bigger than the username - this should be the same, IMHO.

Thanks for implementing these changes!

I think there is a problem in the decrypt function when there is a longer hint.

For example see the new cache: GCT179

The cache owner has some lines which show up correctly encrypted, but using the decrypt button hides the text and the page is smaller in length.

With a cachepage which has a smaller hint all works well over here using IE6.

On the printer friendly page both encrypted and decrypted hints are readable, which might be a good thing, just print it, cut it of, and in the worst case during the walk use the extra printed info.

I'm curious where the problem is in the above mentioned cache.

Greetings Jan-Willem PA3FUS.

The new picture function is a bit hit or miss as the size of the images are not consistant nor are they placed on the screen so that they can bee seen. Have a look at Corrie and then hover over the cache page photos as listed below. Heritage Trail in particular cant be seen.

Corstorphine Dovecot

Corstorphine Parish Church

Directory

Heritage Trail

Welcome

Works fine for me. The bottom left corner of the picture is by the icon, so if you have the page scrolled such that the links and icons are at the top of the page, then yes, the photos spill off the top of the page. Once you hover over the first one, though, and see that, it's an easy matter to scroll the page so the links are at the bottom.

I like the new trackable tab, but I agree that a "view all logs" button would be nice in the travel bug page.

Also, there is a feature I've been waiting for and I am surprised hasn't been implemented with this update.... Can we have a "view all trackables" link similar to the "view all finds" link for caches? I like keeping track of travelbugs and coins I've seen and passed on, but right now I have to open separate pages for each coin and jeep travel bugs.

ben

The cache owner has some lines which show up correctly encrypted, but using the decrypt button hides the text and the page is smaller in length.

With a cachepage which has a smaller hint all works well over here using IE6.

On the printer friendly page both encrypted and decrypted hints are readable, which might be a good thing, just print it, cut it of, and in the worst case during the walk use the extra printed info.

I'm curious where the problem is in the above mentioned cache.

I have the same problem with IE6. The bottom of the page is corrupted:

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Qr fpung ivaqg h nna qr ibrg erpugf ina rra 300 wnne bhqr ireoenaqr Rymraobbz.

Gur gernfher pna or sbhaq ng gur sbbg ba gur evtug bs n guerr uhaqerq-lrne-byq oheag ryqre gerr.

1/12 Npugre obbzcwr:

2/12 Npugre obbz:

3/12 Npugre oerqr ubrxcnny:

4/12 Npugre oerqr ubrxcnny:

5/12 Ovw qr oeht:

.... and so on ...

I don't see any log. If you click on "Decrypt" everything below the Additional Hints is blank. Seems to be a problem with this special cache and the the owner usese lines in his Hints.

Also, there is a feature I've been waiting for and I am surprised hasn't been implemented with this update.... Can we have a "view all trackables" link similar to the "view all finds" link for caches? I like keeping track of travelbugs and coins I've seen and passed on, but right now I have to open separate pages for each coin and jeep travel bugs.

If you select "My Account -> Travel Bugs -> List all travel bugs you ... have found" it actually gives a list showing all trackables combined. (This is not new; it has always been like that.)

It's kind of like the way that "Travelbugs (mine)" will give you a list of all your combined owned trackables; there's just one extra click involved.

Just love the new changes but it will take a little getting used to though. I was wondering about something that I noticed about my profile page though. I used to have a map of all the states that I have cached in and now it seems to have disappeared. Can you tell me what has happened to that?

Not reloading cache pages to see the hint should help too!

Absolutely. Speaking of which if a log entry is encrypted and you select the decrypt option it does generate a postback. Perhaps in another update Jeremy can use JavaScript to decrypt the logs without a postback.

What browser and OS are you using?

I think that the asterisks are still there because Benchmarks are also included in the "Geocaches" list, but they don't count towards the total.

Ah, you can also log benchmarks through this site? I didn't know that.

The only time I clicked on the "Benchmark" button, I noticed that only local (USA) benchmarks could be viewed, so I didn't bother to check any further.

Also, the benchmarks don't contain a logbook and physical container - why are they still here?

I don't see any log. If you click on "Decrypt" everything below the Additional Hints is blank. Seems to be a problem with this special cache and the the owner usese lines in his Hints.

Looks like the HTML in the hint is bad. There's a <BR without the closing >

Absolutely. Speaking of which if a log entry is encrypted and you select the decrypt option it does generate a postback. Perhaps in another update Jeremy can use JavaScript to decrypt the logs without a postback.

Internet Explorer 6 Windows 2003 Server but I see the same behavior on IE 6 and Windows XP Home. To duplicate what I saw follow these steps:

1 - View this cache page Forest Of The Flint

2 - Click on the link to view all logs

3 - Scroll down to my log on Dec 4, 2004.

4 - Click the decrypt hyperlink.

The page should reload instead of decrypting the log entry on the client.

Travel Bugs Page:

Overall I like the Travel bugs page. Splitting it into multiple pages was a good idea. I LOVE having the tracking number on the page for items I own! I do have a few concerns however:

- The "there are X number of users watching" has disappeared

- The distance between caches has disappeared (I really liked this function)

- I think it would be cool to have a "view all logs" function in addition to having the view by pages links.

just my 2 cents.

thanks,

- ed777

Internet Explorer 6 Windows 2003 Server but I see the same behavior on IE 6 and Windows XP Home. To duplicate what I saw follow these steps:

1 - View this cache page Forest Of The Flint

2 - Click on the link to view all logs

3 - Scroll down to my log on Dec 4, 2004.

4 - Click the decrypt hyperlink.

The page should reload instead of decrypting the log entry on the client.

Ok.. one thing that wasn't changed was the decrypting of the hints in the log pages. I'll look into see what I can do about that.

-Raine

As far as FF goes.. I'm viewing the site in that and I tested it against Opera, Netscape 7 and IE 6 & 7. Try holding down Shift and click the refresh icon.

That's strange that you mention Netscape 7 since neither with Firefox (a 1.0.x version - not 1.5) nor with Mozilla nor with Netscape 7 the user profile works correctly at the computers I have tested it.

On some of the computers I am using I do not even have the possibility to upgrade an existing browser or install another browser. On my own computer I could theoretically upgrade FF, but I am not motivated to do so just because yet another site has decided to make minor changes (the old user profile looked quite ok, and the separation of trackable items would have been possible with the old approach as well) with major effects on the usability. Moreover, what about users of Mozilla or Netscape who do not wish to change to another browser just to be able to view the gc.com site without any problems?

Cezanne

Moreover, what about users of Mozilla or Netscape who do not wish to change to another browser just to be able to view the gc.com site without any problems?

Cezanne

I use Netscape 8.0.4 and was mystified by where my stats went since I couldn't see any evidence of the tabs.

But this version of Netscape (maybe others?) has an option to "display like IE" (ctrl+shift+e...toggles back and forth.

So I can see my stats without changing browsers, but it does seem I shouldn't have to do this. :laughing:

Here's all it would take to make the individual cache log rows a bit more distinct and separately readable:

TD.containerRow

{

background: #E0EAEF;

padding: 6px 0 6px 4px;

font-size: 90%;

vertical-align: middle;

}

TD.containerAltRow

{

background: #F1F5F8;

padding: 6px 0 6px 4px;

font-size: 90%;

vertical-align: middle;

}

There, I've done the work for you.

Thanks for all the good changes, though!

The bottom left corner of the picture is by the icon, so if you have the page scrolled such that the links and icons are at the top of the page, then yes, the photos spill off the top of the page. Once you hover over the first one, though, and see that, it's an easy matter to scroll the page so the links are at the bottom.

Netflix pop-ups know how to position themselves so they're within the visible portion of the document. This is a much friendlier approach than forcing the user to scroll around.

The Netflix user profile includes an option to disable pop-ups. Very nice for dialup users.

Edited by klossner

I just upgraded my Windows Firefox to 1.5; the tab problem at the top of the profile page is fixed, but when I go to the Gallery, the last row of pictures are cut off half way through the middle. I think that's the only thing that I've found that's still broken, so far.

It's looking pretty nice now!

Thanks for adding the whitespace between log entries on the cache pages.  It really makes the logs easier to read.

I was thinking of white space above and below, thus 'centering' a log entry on it's color band - but the new version is an improvement over the original (post change) version.

The new stylesheet changes ignore or override some of the UBB code that we can use in cache logs. For example, user-added hyperlinks in cache logs are no longer underlined on the page itself, and bold no longer works. Actually, for hyperlinks, the underline appears once you hover over it, but there is no way to know it's a link unless you hover over it. I haven't tested other commands.

That said, underlined links and bold work fine if you "view the log entry on a separate page".

Tested on Safari 2.0.1 (Mac) and Firefox 1.5 (Windows XP).

when I go to the Gallery, the last row of pictures are cut off half way through the middle. I think that's the only thing that I've found that's still broken, so far.

There's a similar issue on the Trackables page. If I look at the page of someone with a long list of coins, in Firefox 1.5 (on Windows) the list gets chopped off at the bottom. In IE it's okay.

Here's what the end of Snoogans' trackables-found list looks like:

Firefox:

3716c079-22f4-4848-8f50-786c0be2f322.jpg

IE:

fdc85469-55cd-4e01-bb35-da2e38932682.jpg

Edited by the hermit crabs
The Print-friendly version only prints data on the left two thirds of a page as the Inventory column seems to take up the other (blank) third, which is going to take a lot more paper to print cache pages. Also the font is now Times New Roman which way not as nice as the old font.

As an addendum to my original post, the new Decrypt feature is not as smooth on the Print-friendly pages either.