Few New Changes

H to the Bizzle!

We went through a lot of css changes today. Make sure you have the most up to date version.

When I open the Javascript Console in Firefox, I notice a lot of errors such as

Error: Error in parsing value for property 'padding-left'.  Declaration dropped.

Source File: http://www.geocaching.com/css/geo.css

Line: 208

Line 208 contains

padding-left: auto;

but according to this page, "auto" is not a valid value for padding.

G'day

Think this has been mentioned before and I thought sorted, but for me at least the tabs on the profile page don't appear to be working properly.

I can see about a 1/4 of the tabs but no text.

I am using Firefox 1.0.7 on a Win box.

Also can no longer seem to be able to get a list of "trackables" found :-(

Suggestions?

BTW like the other changes.

Thanks

Andrew

Awesome changes! I really love the new tab for trackables and the "total trackables owned/found" text.

There is one very minor consistency issue I noticed. On the Profile and Geocaches tabs, the title reads something like "Groundspeak : Profile for User: ..." and the light blue header near the top of the page is similar. But on the Trackables tab, the title only reads "Groundspeak" and the header probably needs to be changed to something like "Trackables information for user:..." to be consistent with the other tabs.

My Gallery page does not display correctly.  The 5th row of images is cut in half by the bottom border of the framing box around the profile.  I'm not sure if this is because I have a handful of taller-than-wide images in the gallery or because of something else in the html.

Here's a fun bit of oddity...if I navigate away from the page and then use the back button to return to my gallery page, the page renders correctly.

If I refresh the page or navigate to it directly, the last row of images (of a full page of thumbnails) gets cut in half by the bottom of the framing area.

This is reproducible.

Using FF 1.5 this appears on all profile tabs. Especially noticeable on the Trackables tab where the last coins aren't shown, while the gallery looks pretty ok. Everythings fine when I refresh the page.

Ok, most of the stuff looks good to me using XP SP2 and FF 1.5. Here are a couple of little things that need fixing though:

1) The Decrypt / Encrypt link works fine in both FF and IE, but in FF the link name never changes from Decrypt to Encrypt, it stays as Decrypt all the time

2) In all the profile tabs, it looks like there is an end tag missing from the code or something. IE seems to complete the bottom of the table, correctly showing the Note line and the bottom line:

prob1.jpg

but the less forgiving FF 1.5 does not:

prob2.jpg

I noticed that I'm getting the "hidden" blue tabs like the FF users were. Also I can't seem to get the stuff other people are talking about (instant decrypting, image enlargements, etc). But I'm not sure how they work, so they might work I just don't know how to use them. It could be something to look into though.

I use Mozilla, which explains the simliarities in errors with the FF users. And to be safe I updated my browser and cleared the histories and I'm still experiencing the problems.

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded from FF 1.0.7 to 1.5; everything works now. I mostly like the changes, although the changes in text sizes (some got bigger, some got smaller) is a little disconcerting.

I really love the mouse-hover over the pictures in cache logs. And the tracking numbers on the TB pages.

A couple of not-quite-as-good changes:

(1) as mentioned by some other people, the cache logs do appear to be crammed very close together; a little separator space between logs would be nice. (I do like the blue/bluish-grey backgrounds for the logs though).

(2) this one is more significant: I knew that the TB pages were going to be changing so that not all logs showed up at once. But from the way it had been discussed, I was under the impression that it would be like cache logs: by default, only the latest 5 would be shown, but with one extra click, you could see the entire list of them. But as it is now, it's a page-by-page thing, with just 10 logs per page. Often I'll like to look at the log of a particular person who picked up a particular bug; I used to be able to do one search on the bug page. But now it will have to involve repeated searches on multiple pages.

(3) The percentage of the cache page allotted to the long-description text (and any embedded images) has changed (it's narrower now), so I will have to resize and re-upload some images to prevent the cache page from stretching out wider that it should.

Raine,

With Safari, the profile page looked like this before clearing the cache.

tab2.jpg

After clearing the cache, like this.

tabs.jpg

I don't know if other browsers will have that problem, but if Safari users aren't aware that they need to clear the cache, there are going to be a lot of questions coming your way.

I can see the tabs in Safari, but my preferred browser is Netscape and the look like the first pic you have. I cleared the cache in both browsers.

I am tring to edit my last post, but each time I hit edit, I get Mustcache's post to edit, not mine.

I have to restate what I said, the profile in Netscape looks like the first pic, but without the links.

I hadn't noticed the links the first time I posted.

Edit to see if I could here without the quote in it.

I could

Edited by WeightMan
(2) this one is more significant: I knew that the TB pages were going to be changing so that not all logs showed up at once. But from the way it had been discussed, I was under the impression that it would be like cache logs: by default, only the latest 5 would be shown, but with one extra click, you could see the entire list of them. But as it is now, it's a page-by-page thing, with just 10 logs per page. Often I'll like to look at the log of a particular person who picked up a particular bug; I used to be able to do one search on the bug page. But now it will have to involve repeated searches on multiple pages.

Yeah, that would be great.

I like the changes and everything looks great - the hover feature for the pictures is awsome.

One thing I found very intriguing about this thread is how quickly things were resolved and how the input was handled – great customer support. Kudos to the folks who keep the masses happy. :o

I'm not crazy about the new font, however.  It is a tad on the large size.  THe original or the smaller version is preferable.

Smaller?

Must not be over 40, are you?

Anyway, I have my browser set to use my own font and to ignore size requests smaller than I think 12 so everything looks fine to me, didn't even know there was a font change!

Paul

Just wanted to add another $0.02 to the two opinions expressed earlier:

1) Please add more separation between log entries. Way too crowded right now.

2) I'm saddened by the reduction in cache page description real-estate. Many people try to design their page to look a certain way, and now that the blockquotes are gone and the right hand margin has widened to allow space for the fancy link boxes, many cache pages look out of whack.

I like most of the changes, including the ones that seem to have been rolled out as the day went on.

One issue - not sure if it has been brought up yet - is the disparity in the font sizes on some pages, probably due to the new style sheets.

- A cache description page seems to have a small font for the navigation in the upper right.

- Most of the rest of the text on the page seems a size larger.

- The text on the profile pages seems a size larger yet.

I'd prefer that the font sizes were consistent, at the middle size of the three examples.

Sample section of screenshot from cache description showing smaller two font sizes:

ca331009-31bc-4ef8-aff9-1ed1ba9dd427.jpg

Sample showing Profile page with largest font size:

e7c5aca3-3524-432f-92d8-871e917edd71.jpg

Similarly, if you look at the front page the fonts seem relatively small for the most part, with the Corporate Team Building section and the Upcoming Geocaching Events using larger fonts for no good reason.

Thanks for the changes. Overall they're quite good!

It seems strange that all (most?) of us have to clear our browser caches before we can see stuff properly. It seems that this issue is going to linger for weeks as all geocachers check in. Isn't there a way to force the browsers to know to not use old stuff.

Changes look great. It took me a while to figure out what folks were talking about with the hint. It's not a mouse-over on my computer; I have to click on the link. I love the pop up images of photos in logs.

I do like the lack of white-space in the logs table on the regular page because of the alternating background colors of cells in the table. Since that feature is missing on the print friendly page, how about getting rid of the cell coloring in that log table and turning on the top border (1 pixel should be enough) of each cell as a demarkation line? I think cell lines are print-friendly while background coloring is not.

Also on the Print friendly page a line is taken up by "Click icon to download:" and another by "Print PDF: " - these lines do nothing except eat ink/toner and paper, can they be removed? Also, while tweaking that page code: how about reducing the white space between the end of the hint and the start of the logs. I guess that's where the decoder key was (it is gone - which is fine with me).

The Print-friendly version only prints data on the left two thirds of a page as the Inventory column seems to take up the other (blank) third, which is going to take a lot more paper to print cache pages. Also the font is now Times New Roman which way not as nice as the old font.

Ok just to be either really lame or really dumb. I am using Netscape 8.0.4. I'm having the same problem as others have mentioned about the tabs being hidden on the profile page. I do have the most up to date version of Netscape. So am I outta luck here or what?

Luc

Neither lame or dumb...or else you have company. <_<

I have Netscape 8.04 and can't see any tabs. Will I never see my stats again? :o

I'm not sure if it's related to the new changes but I just received a "[GEO] Notify:" email regarding a cache that had been just been enabled by the owner. The odd thing is that it shows the distance as "2.2mi NW (3.6km NW)", when it is more like 20 miles from my home coords.

I verified that my home coords have not changed, and similar "[GEO] Notify:" emails I received yesterday afternoon showed the correct distances.

Not sure where to ask this question but I thought this would be ok since this is about the changes.

In my profile under the new tab for coins and TB's, not all my coins I have activated are there now. Are you still updating that info, will it fix itself, or do I need to go through them and contact somebody about the missing ones? I am not worried about the ones I have logged, just the ones I own.

Thanks

A very minor point:

In IE and in Firefox 1.5 the photo links beneath logs on cache pages aren't showing as underlined links.  As other links are showing as underlined I imagine this is accidental.

This is happening in logs as well. Links aren't underlined until you hover over them, which is kind of pointless. The important thing is to tell the user that it is a link. As anyone who's read Web Pages That Suck knows, usability shouldn't be sacrificed for CSS effects that look "cool".

For example, if in my log I wrote:

And I took some nice photos while I was there.

And make the word "photos" into a link to a photo gallery, who would know???? There's no indication at all that there's a link in the log.

Edited by Prime Suspect