Garmin "x"

With the new x models , the "map" memory limitation problem is eliminated, so everything will evolve to CN instead of CS,and then they can start working on new features and stuff to work with the bigger memories. Right now, I think the biggest Micro SD card shipping is 512mb but Sandisk says next year will bring a 1 gig and there will be a 2 gig in 07.

In some of the automotive units, you can add custom POI's (points of interest)CSV file format into the memory using a free "POI Loader" software program from Garmin. I think that's the direction they are headed with the handhelds. GeoCachers could load numerous cache sites where they would show up on the maps and have the location description and lots of other text info available on the handhelds, all stored in the "new" unlimited memory on the cards. That way it wouldn't affect the number of waypoints.

There are a lot of folks that love the small size of the e-trex models, just want all the memory and other features of the 60's and 76's. (Drive a Cadillac with the handling of a Porche and the fuel mileage of a Hybrid) Different strokes for different folks!

A question that I have that no one seems to have touched on is...what is the base memory (only interested in the 76CSx), or should I say Ram, excluding the "card" ? Does anyone know? Right now, my 76CS , has a total of 115mb memory. I'm assuming whatever it has for basemap storage , waypoints (1000), tracks (10saved tracks/10,000 track points), and routes (50 saved 250pts/each) is included in the 115mb.

Now that Garmin has come out with the "card memory" I think they will evolve toward being able to store other data.

Right now, my 76CS , has a total of 115mb memory. I'm assuming whatever it has for basemap storage , waypoints (1000), tracks (10saved tracks/10,000 track points), and routes (50 saved 250pts/each) is included in the 115mb.

No, the 76cs has a 128 MB memory device that is used both for the basemap (13 MB) and for up to 115 MB of downloadable maps (CitySelect, Topo, BlueChart, etc.). Then there's a separate memory device (don't remember the size) that holds the firmware, waypoints, tracklogs, routes, and user settings.

It would be nice if Garmin starts to offer more flexibility on things like waypoint and tracklog storage and I'd encourage anyone who wants those features to contact Garmin to let them know. At the moment the custom POI loader only seems aimed at the automotive market and in particular the european customers who demand that feature for loading locations of speed cameras and other traffic regulation devices. (Lots of GPS devices are sold in europe with the sole function of warning of these camera locations.)

Garmin has had units with expansion memory cards for years (various Street Pilots, the eMap, the 176/276/376, etc.) but has never used that memory space for storage of waypoint and tracklog data. So unless they get strong feedback from customers that such a feature is needed I'm afraid we may not see it for a long time in the new 'x' models either.