Revisiting Caches To Pick Up Coins/jeeps Etc.

Hi all,

I've recently seen that a couple of caches I've done in the past have had Geocoins & Jeeps left in them and considered revisiting the caches just to pick up those items (so I can collect the icons on my profile), but I wondered if this would be considered "bad form" - what does the forum think?

In the end I didn't go back 'cos I didn't have the time.

Martyn.

Perfectly acceptable in my opinion.

If you are just re-visiting to collect icons, you may consider it more 'sporting' to pick them up and then drop them again. I placed a certain popular geocoin in a cache on Saturday, and was pleased to see that somebody who revisited the cache to get the icon, sportingly left the coin for somebody else.

I have set myself a personal rule that if I revisit a cache to pick up a TB, I will drop a different one in it's place. I may make an exception if the TB has languished for weeks though, as TBs love to travel. This is just how I think that I should play the game though, and it's not an official rule.

The word etiquette comes up very often in reference to TBs. Etiquette is not the same as rules, it's very easy to get sucked in!

There was a UK geocoin in a cache I'd visited before that looked interesting, but I also had a TB to drop off. So I dropped the TB in the cache, checked out the geocoin, realised I couldn't help it on its mission so left it, logged it in and out explaining why I hadn't taken it.

Seems alright to me.

Errr, what they said.

I tend to pick up a few TBs from local caches I have visited in the past if I will be travelling a great distance and then deposit others on my return. I always post a note to say that I have done this, just in case someone is planning a visit for the bug and does not notice it has gone.

But when I go on line to log them on the cache page I always post it as a note rather than a find.

Can you/What happens if you log a cache mor ethan once ?

It adds another find to your stats. This is considered bad form by most people, as you don't really have to search for it if you already know where it is. Unless the cache owner has moved the cache to a new hiding place and given permission for re-logging - then it's ok.

I did a 'Maintenance Visit' on one of my caches at the weekend. To my surprise, there was a Yellow Jeep in it. As it's not one of my 'more popular' caches (just four 'Found It' logs since my last visit in December 2004), I took the Jeep to move it on to a more frequently visited cache. For me, this was the exception, however, as I normally wouldn't go to one of my caches, or one that I'd previously done, just to get a bug or coin to add to my tally. On a couple of other occasions, I've had e-mails from bug owners asking if I would 'rescue' their bug that had been in one of my caches for quite a while and have been quite willing to do so. That said, I don't give a Tinkers Cuss if others do... each to his/her/other own. <_<

I agree with what has been said before..

As yet i dont have a cache of my own so when i wanted to let free into the wild a UK geocoin i used a cache near by (GCKRNP)

there have been two visits to this cache site but neither one took the UK coin <_<

B.

It should be encouraged!

I have just moved Bonnies UK coin to a cache in the centre of Paris that I knew the location of because I'd previously found it. (I only posted a note though)

If there had been another coin in there I would have moved it on.

I have also picked up TB's and coins from my own cache, notably from one that I set over Christmas were some kind gentlemen deposited 13 tb's in one hit a couple of days after an event in the area! Unfortunately, the day after they did this was the stated date on the cache page for the box to be replaced by a much smaller container..... <_<

A lot of puzzle caches use TB's as clues, It would be ridiculous to suggest that if the TB is in a cache that you have previously visited it would be cheating to retrieve it.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by The Mars Bars
But when I go on line to log them on the cache page I always post it as a note rather than a find.

It adds another find to your stats. This is considered bad form by most people, as you don't really have to search for it if you already know where it is. Unless the cache owner has moved the cache to a new hiding place and given permission for re-logging - then it's ok.

OK, starting to go slightly OT here, but what happens if you try and log a find against one of your own caches?

Of course, I'm not suggesting for one minute that I've ever had to do a full-on search to find one of my own caches when returning for a maintenance visit, oh no, of course not....gosh, don't those piles of stones all look very similar..... <_< <cough><shuffle>

Edit - learn to spell, idiot child!

Edited by Dave from Glanton

OK, starting to go slightly OT here, but what happens if you try and log a find agaist one of your own caches?

Of course, I'm not suggesting for one minute that I'd ever had to do a full-on search to find one of my own caches when returning for a maintenance visit, oh no, of course not....gosh, don't those piles of stones all look very similar..... <_< <cough><shuffle>

You get a smiley!

This can happen by mistake and I hope that is the case with the many examples of this phenomenom that can be viewed on geocacheuk.com

Follow this link!

Owners who have logged their own caches!

Read the explanation as to why this list exists before casting aspersions

Edited by The Mars Bars
I agree with what has been said before..

As yet i dont have a cache of my own so when i wanted to let free into the wild a UK geocoin i used a cache near by (GCKRNP)

there have been two visits to this cache site but neither one took the UK coin ;)

B.

Its alright bob

i've got my eye on it for a dawn raid, if only it stops raining in the morning, your coin will soon be on the move

Iain the bargee :anibad: