Hard To Find Geocoins

Blue iis

Maybe you should add the GD mystery coin and Groundspeak Project square to that list.

Are we talking about the same coins when we say "GD Mystery square coin" and "Groundspeak Project coin"?

I got the round and sqaure coins from GD himself.

Yep. I call it the Groundspeak Project coin since the square one doesn't have the GD on it. I picked up my Mystery coin in a cache and trade him for the square one.

Edited by graylling
I'm still confused about Blazerfan, Geonap and 2Dolphins being on the list. I had no trouble trading with each of them. What about the GD coin and the Groundspeak Square. They're not quite as old, but still hard to find. Right?

Well, as for my coin, I am out of coins for trade. :ph34r:

There were only 100 made in September of 2003.

This is the first cache to receive one of my coins (First 2dolphins coin placed!).

I rarely traded coins for anything other than other personal coins. (Hard to find 100 people with their own coin minted in the past..) Moun10bike was the first person to get one of my coins.

So, although they were pretty easy for people with personal coins to trade for in the past, until I make a version 2 (not sure if that is going to happen) I can't make any more trades..

Well, as for my coin, I am out of coins for trade.  :laughing:

This is the first cache to receive one of my coins (First 2dolphins coin placed!)

I rarely traded coins for anything other than other personal coins.  (Hard to find 100 people with their own coin minted in the past..)  Moun10bike was the first person to get one of my coins.

So, although they were pretty easy for people with personal coins to trade for in the past, until I make a version 2 (not sure if that is going to happen) I can't make any more trades..

Wow, I must have gotten one of your last coins since I traded with you just a couple of months ago! :anitongue:

I'm still confused about Blazerfan, Geonap and 2Dolphins being on the list. I had no trouble trading with each of them. What about the GD coin and the Groundspeak Square. They're not quite as old, but still hard to find. Right?

Well, as for my coin, I am out of coins for trade. :lol:

This is the first cache to receive one of my coins (First 2dolphins coin placed!).

I rarely traded coins for anything other than other personal coins. (Hard to find 100 people with their own coin minted in the past..) Moun10bike was the first person to get one of my coins.

I have one, but I picked it up from someone else in the last 4 months or so. I'm very happy that I did too. At the time, I was getting very frustrated because I had very little to trade and no one would trade unless I had something they wanted like a moun10bike coin, or I had a personal coin they wanted. I didn't have anything. Anyhow... I was able to work out something for this coin and like I said.. .I was pretty happy about it.

What is it in baseball when you had one on the list, but traded it for a Moun10Bike ver2? AG needed one and i didnt get one from J before he traded them all out.

It's called a fair play?

Not sure what a Team Fisur would generate on eBay, but I'd be surprised if it would top $1,500. "Value" wise, you probably got the better end of the trade I suspect.

You having second thoughts? <_<

Where is team Fisurs website?  I don't know where to find it.

http://www.geocities.com/team_fisur/ :blink:

Just remember, his website isn't complete with all the personal coins out there.

I know of several coins that are not listed there. :)

Back in the day, the Team FISUR Geocoin Designs page had an image of practically every geocoin in existence. However, with the explosion of geocoins in the past year, it has become too time consuming for us to keep up. But if you're looking for "old school" geocoins by the O.G.'s, this is a good resource. Good luck on the hunt.

FISUR

So this is the list????

Moun10Bike Ver 1

Moun10Bike Ver 2

IndyDiver

Team Fisur

Waypoint15

Square T

Wandering Dragon

Goblindust

Capt Prozac

Blazerfan

Geonap

2Dolphins

Habercacher

Danman

DHobby Ver 1

OKIC

bumping this old, OLD thread up. i was wondering how many of these coins are still considered desirable. especially to new coiners. i bought a geonap on ebay for like $10. i already had one but thought "what the heck."

Yeah that's the list. The only thing I'd add is "Ver 1" after GeoNap. I hear from a reliable source that the artwork is nearly completed for Ver 2.

i've been talking with mrs. geonap and she said "He only made the one set. I only have one of his coins in my possession & it too looks like it is yellowing a bit."

mr. geonap died in 2011. :-(

I've only been active in geocoins for several years now and going back to the 'old' coins is very difficult for many of us. We don't have any 'memory' of them and unless someone presents one here or on something like FB or e-place, we don't even know they exist. Sure, we might know that 'many' exist, but with older databases now inactive, getting info is nearly impossible. Didn't even know that a 'Capt Prozac' existed. :o

In the last of the 2006 posts above, FISUR mentioned the 'explosion of geocoins' in the last year (2006). Take that explosion, add 8 years of expansion, and it is getting (or already is) quite out of control. The Secret Society has a db now, in mostly German iirc, and there are few, if any, references to that resource here in the US. At least NOT here in the geocoin forum. Besides the older coins in the US, the expansion of coins went worldwide.

Besides the huge increase in production coins, regional retail expanded to international. Now a 'set' issues a special Euro version ... that is never mentioned. The VW camper bus was in demand and that created a remint. Now they are everywhere. Even GS has it's own special versions with their logo caricature replacing the standard geo-"G". In a lot of cases, coins with 'new' designs are fewer. Since die costs are already paid, coiners create nothing more exciting than 20+ color version of the same coin ... over... and over... and over again ... trying to make only the NAME of the version exciting.

SOoooo ... sure, there's an interest. How would you suggest we even begin to find out about them ... ??

I've only been collecting for 1 1/2 years and I love the older coins. I don't know of many of these coins or the stories that go with them, unless someone puts one up for auction at the e-place and includes some info. As a newer collector, the older coins that have been made by coiners in the state I live in are a little easier to get some info about, but still not easier to find the coins. I think there is interest in the old coins, but they seem very, very hard to find... at least for me.

SOoooo ... sure, there's an interest. How would you suggest we even begin to find out about them ... ??

i think by reading some of the old threads. like the beginning of this one. google even the history of geocoins.

there is one coiner i know that says the explosion of geocoins started with the fabulous 2006 compass rose. but one went unsold for $20 the other day on the auction place.

dgs1999 had this to say about the "explosion" of geocoins:

"I believe it [2006 compass rose] is the coin that started it all. It is the coin with the most fabulous front design for all time regardless that it was ...2006.

It combined beauty of design with the geocaching functionality of the compass rose. It slowly set the geocaching and geocoin collecting community on fire. If you can tell me of another coin in or before 2006 that really caught fire let me know. Yes, I know there was the 2005 CR but the design was boring

and the numbers released limited.

No, it was the 2006 with it's translucent colors and shiny silver background that really made this coin amazing.

I was talking to a geocacher / geocoin collector about the coins that really were the key coins and that set the

fire under geocoin collecting. I believe they were these three coins >

1. Compass Rose 2006

2. Tranquility coins in all their varieties

3. The first ...Earth Turtle .... the first coin by tsunrisebey"

the old coins were made by folks to leave in caches as special pieces of swag, or just to say they were there. mountain bike was the first one made by an individual i think. others soon followed by they were still basically sig items. like the captain prozac, the geonap, dhobby1 and goblindust.

those used to bring huge prices at auction but i bought a geonap the other day for $10. they aren't so desirable any longer.

i was just thinking aloud after reading some of people's most wanted coins and what was rare back in the day

lara

I've only been collecting for 1 1/2 years and I love the older coins. I don't know of many of these coins or the stories that go with them, unless someone puts one up for auction at the e-place and includes some info. As a newer collector, the older coins that have been made by coiners in the state I live in are a little easier to get some info about, but still not easier to find the coins. I think there is interest in the old coins, but they seem very, very hard to find... at least for me.

well, if they were easy to find that wouldn't be as much fun. :-) you just have to be careful and not spend a boatload of money on them. on eplace some of the prices are jacked up way beyond what the coin is worth

"but one went unsold for $20 the other day on the auction place." That one I watched for a week and hoped I could get it... just before the end time was near, the owner pulled it from the site fearing she wouldn't get the $50 she was after. :(

seriously? next time bid the lowest you can to seal the bidding - i don't think a seller can pull something after the bidding has started. then watch to see what it does. if a seller wants for sure a certain price, then they should either start the bidding higher or put a reserve amount on it.

Edited by RedShoesGirl

"but one went unsold for $20 the other day on the auction place." That one I watched for a week and hoped I could get it... just before the end time was near, the owner pulled it from the site fearing she wouldn't get the $50 she was after. :(

seriously? next time bid the lowest you can to seal the bidding - i don't think a seller can pull something after the bidding has started. then watch to see what it does. if a seller wants for sure a certain price, then they should either start the bidding higher or put a reserve amount on it.

Even after a bid is placed, a seller can cancel a listing. All they have to do is fib a bit that it has been listed in error, was damaged or lost, or a few other 'select' excuses. All it costs them then is the listing fee which the e-place will not refund.

Buyers have a right to file a complaint, but if the seller sticks to their story ... who can prove any different ?? 'Ethics' is not the strong suit for some e-place sellers ... <_<

As mentioned in some lost thread before, one problem seems to be to create enough interest to maintain a really good database. Every thread about planning/discussing this kind of a project vanished before long.

-> it's not too hard to find information about trackable coins. But it takes some time.

-> non-trackables are way more difficult, because they are harder to track down ;-(

-> @topic: In the list of "All Geocoins" there is an entry called "HTF Geocoin" (id 1222) - that probably means "Hard to Find Geocoin" - I couldn't find any of those so far... any help?

For the lack of database systems I liked enough I started to create my own database and collected information, sorted by appearance in the trackable pages at Groundspeak's profile pages.

Right now I am stuck in like "spring 2007" (collected about 1600 different coins with almost 4000 different editions of these), about 7 years and 6000 icons behind (Groundspeak hit 7000 recently, there are like 1000 new icons per year now, but people tend to give different editions of the same coin different icons recently, too).

This should give an idea about how much is out there.

About history as far as I got it:

- In 2001 TBs (May to August) and Moun10Bike coins (September) came up about at the same time (all trackables have IDs, the first TB is TB1, the first Moun10Bike Coin is TB1D=#29) - Icon-ID-Numbers 21 and 22

- in 2003 the USA coins were created, Icon-ID-Number 23.

- in 2004 the first Jeep promotional came up (ID 136)

- in 2005 the first German Geocoins (ID 138), GeoWoodstock (139) and the White Jeep (141)

- State Coins, CoinClub and Event-Coins were created in big numbers and Groundspeak started hosting these numbers

- Personal Geocoins by individual cachers were first rejected, but finally Groundspeak created 15.000 numbers for the "Personal Geocoin"-Icon (id 152), that got the original USA-Coin-Icon (23.gif, while the USA-coin has a new icon today: usa.gif). These numbers could be obtained in small numbers, mainly through the early mint services like oakcoins and directmint(personalgeocoins.com). Later they added another 15.000 numbers... some people were able to move their coins to an individual icon way later, especially when they made a remint.

- Compass Rose Coin has id 153. The 2006 CR coin has id 186

So I think the decision to allow personal coins and the appearance of the first Compass Rose Geocoin happened pretty much at the same time and started it all - late 2005 and 2006.

In these days collectors went for every coin and got kind of disappointed when they noticed that they couldn't keep up anymore with every coin.

Individuals were starting their own website promoting their coins to make money, and things became commercial... to the dislike of those who wanted to keep trading and get everything out there just by doing so.

Coins started to be signature items for cachers or for states/countries or for events, mostly plain layouts. To make them more wanted people started to develop the art of coin design and functionality: shaped forms, first glow in the dark, then translucent colors, twotone, cutouts, spinning, hinges, ...

And people bought them

People created LE coins that were ordered way more than the RE (some coins had even more LEs produced than REs because of that - simply because of lack of interest for the RE), announced numbers were increased or decreased...

There could be a lot more added... :-)

Edited by JoergWausW

Even after a bid is placed, a seller can cancel a listing. All they have to do is fib a bit that it has been listed in error, was damaged or lost, or a few other 'select' excuses. All it costs them then is the listing fee which the e-place will not refund.

Buyers have a right to file a complaint, but if the seller sticks to their story ... who can prove any different ?? 'Ethics' is not the strong suit for some e-place sellers ... <_<

oh, didn't know that.

As mentioned in some lost thread before, one problem seems to be to create enough interest to maintain a really good database. Every thread about planning/discussing this kind of a project vanished before long.

-> it's not too hard to find information about trackable coins. But it takes some time.

-> non-trackables are way more difficult, because they are harder to track down ;-(

-> @topic: In the list of "All Geocoins" there is an entry called "HTF Geocoin" (id 1222) - that probably means "Hard to Find Geocoin" - I couldn't find any of those so far... any help?

For the lack of database systems I liked enough I started to create my own database and collected information, sorted by appearance in the trackable pages at Groundspeak's profile pages.

Right now I am stuck in like "spring 2007" (collected about 1600 different coins with almost 4000 different editions of these), about 7 years and 6000 icons behind (Groundspeak hit 7000 recently, there are like 1000 new icons per year now, but people tend to give different editions of the same coin different icons recently, too).

This should give an idea about how much is out there.

About history as far as I got it:

- In 2001 TBs (May to August) and Moun10Bike coins (September) came up about at the same time (all trackables have IDs, the first TB is TB1, the first Moun10Bike Coin is TB1D=#29) - Icon-ID-Numbers 21 and 22

- in 2003 the USA coins were created, Icon-ID-Number 23.

- in 2004 the first Jeep promotional came up (ID 136)

- in 2005 the first German Geocoins (ID 138), GeoWoodstock (139) and the White Jeep (141)

- State Coins, CoinClub and Event-Coins were created in big numbers and Groundspeak started hosting these numbers

- Personal Geocoins by individual cachers were first rejected, but finally Groundspeak created 15.000 numbers for the "Personal Geocoin"-Icon (id 152), that got the original USA-Coin-Icon (23.gif, while the USA-coin has a new icon today: usa.gif). These numbers could be obtained in small numbers, mainly through the early mint services like oakcoins and directmint(personalgeocoins.com). Later they added another 15.000 numbers... some people were able to move their coins to an individual icon way later, especially when they made a remint.

- Compass Rose Coin has id 153. The 2006 CR coin has id 186

So I think the decision to allow personal coins and the appearance of the first Compass Rose Geocoin happened pretty much at the same time and started it all - late 2005 and 2006.

In these days collectors went for every coin and got kind of disappointed when they noticed that they couldn't keep up anymore with every coin.

Individuals were starting their own website promoting their coins to make money, and things became commercial... to the dislike of those who wanted to keep trading and get everything out there just by doing so.

Coins started to be signature items for cachers or for states/countries or for events, mostly plain layouts. To make them more wanted people started to develop the art of coin design and functionality: shaped forms, first glow in the dark, then translucent colors, twotone, cutouts, spinning, hinges, ...

And people bought them

People created LE coins that were ordered way more than the RE (some coins had even more LEs produced than REs because of that - simply because of lack of interest for the RE), announced numbers were increased or decreased...

There could be a lot more added... :-)

very interesting. i am interested in the first list, the old, mostly, non-trackables. i know those are in boxes in the back of a closet somewhere of a cacher who either just found some in caches, or the same for geocoiners who are no longer collecting.

so those are the ones i wonder if new coiners are interested in. but as someone said, if you don't know about them, can't hardly get excited. :-)

So this is the list????

Moun10Bike Ver 1

Moun10Bike Ver 2

IndyDiver

Team Fisur

Waypoint15

Square T

Wandering Dragon

Goblindust

Capt Prozac

Blazerfan

Geonap

2Dolphins

Habercacher

Danman

DHobby Ver 1

OKIC

bumping this old, OLD thread up. i was wondering how many of these coins are still considered desirable. especially to new coiners. i bought a geonap on ebay for like $10. i already had one but thought "what the heck."

I have managed to get a very few from 2005, non trackable, but nothing from this list yet...

That list was the holy grail for quite a long time. I had quite a number of them until recently when I sold off most of what I had (but still have a few).

For me, nothing will ever compare to the early coins for sentimental value. Somebody may produce a stunningly beautiful coin which may represent something that I hold dear, but the fun times had while forging friendships and going on wild cache hunts at midnight when a coin was dropped in a cache (because it was rare at the time) are priceless memories that I cherish.

Good luck to all in your search and NEVER give up hope. I've rarely told this story but I will now:

I acquired my V1 Moun10Bike coin in trade for a Santa Cruz County Geocachers coin and my personal sig item (shot glass) a long time ago by reaching out to the (then) owner of said coin. She had lost interest in caching but knew she had the coin in a drawer somewhere....she was really interested in lighthouses (which is on the SC coin) so we traded.

I considered it a good trade at the time, but it was nowhere near what the coin was 'worth' even 6-months later when they started to blow up. Oddly enough, the week before that trade I turned down somebody that I was trying to trade for another one because he wanted $25 for it and I thought that was OUTRAGEOUS to pay for a coin. Again, this was before they became what they are now and before Moun10Bike coins really became as desirable as they are now.

Go figure.

That list was the holy grail for quite a long time. I had quite a number of them until recently when I sold off most of what I had (but still have a few).

and thank you very much! but we still have this list.... :-)

the fun times had while forging friendships and going on wild cache hunts at midnight when a coin was dropped in a cache (because it was rare at the time) are priceless memories that I cherish.

you were in the right place at the right time. only coins dropped out here in the desert were the little canadian ones - and my friend and i dropped those. never saw a cache with a personal coin drop in it. there was a trackable way out in the big empty that i moved along. it went missing. but that coin was the first coin i saw. then i bought tranquilities. and the addiction started. thank heavens we are over that.

Good luck to all in your search and NEVER give up hope. I've rarely told this story but I will now: ...this was before they became what they are now and before Moun10Bike coins really became as desirable as they are now.

Go figure.

thank you for the story. always nice to know the history of a trade. Moun10Bike coins have never really been on my most wanted list. i think i saw a Fisur in a thread way back then, wanted that and then i wanted to make one of my own. that was never going to happen on a newspaper photographers income. so i bought the canadians and then couldn't afford those either. wish i had kept just one.

these are the three amigos in the front row of my collection ...i think i have 40. it's good to be small. i can see them all at once. :-)

14448454232_9195c1eb8e_o.jpg

so now i have a list of old ones i would like to find. nothing crucial or obsessive, just "would like." most of these are because of aesthetics. they look neat.

auntieNae

Waypoint15

bluegillfisherman

Wandering Dragon

2Dolphins

dhenninger - brass

Kokopelli Geocoins by Johnnie Stalkers - homemade i think

SquareD22 fish

Perrin & Faile

Kentucky Geocoins 2004 (From the GeoCachers of Kentucky)

Team FISUR

Pepper Geocoin (Formerly of Team SuperGenius) - bronze

Edited by RedShoesGirl

I just created a little image with collected pictures of a few trackables - most coins of them are trackable and made mid-2007 and earlier (e.g. there are some newer ones and a couple non-trackables in the picture). If you want to know what you're missing, this might help (at least concerning trackable coins covering about the first 1000 icons at geocaching.com).

coins.jpg

I don't think many people own more than 50% of those.

Most of these coins are probably hard to find today.