Hard To Find Geocoins

Blue iis

Excuse me if this has been covered and if it has, send me a link. I'm wondering what the more difficult, or hard to find Geocoins are. I know that currently there are several "limited edition" coins that are being produced. I'm thinking of coins like the Moun10bike V1 and V2 coins. The Indydiver coin. Even the all silver Geocoins (2004 and 2005) that were made in limited amounts of 100 I believe.

I'm just very curious as to what the learned members have to say on this.

Thanks.

The old school geocoins start with the Goblindust geocoin and geocoins before that. This was a time when about only 15 geocachers had metal coins. Look at team Fisurs web site.

This is my opion. There may be SME's out there who can assist you.

Good luck

Where is team Fisurs website? I don't know where to find it.

Hard to say what's rare and what's not. There are a lot of factors.

I've seen more Moun10bike coins on eBay than about anyone elses sig coin so while expensive they are not hard to come by. The money to buy one may be hard to come by though.

On the other hand the 2005 RK Idaho coin has never surfaced, ever. I doubt it would fetch much on eBay but is it rare? It is if you just have to have one. It's not if you really could care less.

In all honesty I think it's going to take some time to sort it all out.

Hard to say what's rare and what's not. There are a lot of factors.

I've seen more Moun10bike coins on eBay than about anyone elses sig coin so while expensive they are not hard to come by. The money to buy one may be hard to come by though.

On the other hand the 2005 RK Idaho coin has never surfaced, ever. I doubt it would fetch much on eBay but is it rare? It is if you just have to have one. It's not if you really could care less.

In all honesty I think it's going to take some time to sort it all out.

Not that I'm an expert. I'm certainly not, but there aren't many new coins that I would consider "rare." Yes, there have been a few moun10bike coins on Ebay, but I don't think that means much. Actually I think there has been one V1, one V2 and one V3.

If there were 100, silver 2004 coins made and that was before the GeoCoin craze, I'd wonder if there were still 100 out there. To me, that has potential to be rare, or hard to find. I don't know the number of 2005 RK Idaho coins that were minted, but my feeling is that they are going to be more plentiful. Or at least I'd think they were.

This is an interesting question to ask because IMHO the definition of rare doesn't apply in large to geocoins, and here is why.

As the definition states (sorry, I am copying and pasting for the sake of explaining, I am sure you know what rare means):

rare ( P ) Pronunciation Key (râr)

adj. rar·er, rar·est

1) Infrequently occurring; uncommon: a rare event; a plant that is rare in this region.

2) Excellent; extraordinary: a rare sense of honor.

3) Thin in density: rarefied: rare air.

There has been an increase of perks that are being given to the person minting the coins that are coming from the mint ( those who have received them know what I mean), I.E. I have a personal TNT Geocoin that has my caching name on it and is polished gold, there was only 1 minted (and no it is not leaving my grubby little hands), so by definition this is really "rare"

However for the sake of the geocoin community is it rare, IMO no. It was a gift and will never see human contact or be considered a trade item.

Now on the other hand some states do LE of 5 coins and sell them for Charity to help families in need, since one was up for sale and was available to the public does this make it rare, IMO yes.

So at what level do we want to consider something rare? At what quantity do we want to consider something rare?

I think rarity is only one factor. There is also how covetable the coin itself is. I know of a bunch of LE coins that were minted in quantities less than 25, but are not all that desirable.

--Marky

I agree with that 100% I think one of the things that make people seek it out, is if it has passed the test of time and been around a while. Another factor is if it is a personal Geocoin, has anyone heard of that cacher? Have they been around for a while? Have they found many caches, etc.

It's been nearly an hour and no-one has posted the link that Blue iis asked for. What a bunch of slackers! <_<Team Fisur's Geocoin Website

While this isn't a rigidly accurate history of geocoins (and far from exhaustive), you can get a very rough idea of the order of origination by reading from top-to-bottom left-to-right. The list includes plastic and wooden tokens as well as metal coins.

I got a hand-knitted scarf from my aunt Hildegard. It's one-of-a-kind. Really rare. Want it?

Edited by pdxmarathonman
Not necessarily rarest but hard to find (not including M10B and IndyDiver coins):

Team Fisur

Waypoint15

Square T

Wandering Dragon

Goblindust

Capt Prozac

Blazerfan

Geonap

2Dolphins

Habercacher

Danman

IMO, of course.

That's cool to see Danman's coin listed. His are hand-made (metal, but different than the mint-produced coins). I have one. And so does my daugher <_< Dan is a good friend of mine (because of this crazy hobby!)

I guess rarity can be a measure of how hard it is to acquire a coin. Coins like those mentioned above are hard to find and most people would love to have one in their collection. Most people will never see one. that would make them rare by most peoples definition. On the other hand a coin put out today with a qty of 100 minted will not be rare until all the coins are spread out and no one has more than one. Then the people that are looking for it will consider it rare for sure.

I think some of us are getting carried away wth the word rare. As I said in the first posting, I'm wondering about the harder to get coins. We could go on and on about what is rare. I'm also thinking more in line with the "earlier" Geocoins, not all of the LE coins that are out there now.

Not necessarily rarest but hard to find (not including M10B and IndyDiver coins):

Team Fisur

Waypoint15

Square T

Wandering Dragon

Goblindust

Capt Prozac

Blazerfan

Geonap

2Dolphins

Habercacher

Danman

IMO, of course.

This is the sort of posting I wanted to see.

Thanks!

Where is team Fisurs website?  I don't know where to find it.

http://www.geocities.com/team_fisur/ <_<

Just remember, his website isn't complete with all the personal coins out there.

I know of several coins that are not listed there. :blink:

I looked it over and it's nice, but you are right... there are a lot of coins out there that aren't listed.

I guess I'm still looking at what are the "classic" type coins.

Blazerfan, Geonap and 2Dolphins are all hard to find? I think OKIC can be added as a hard to find coin. I've also seen a handful of Moun10Bike ver. 1 coins exchanging hands, so maybe they're not as rare as people think? They just have a hefty price tag. The same goes with IndyDiver, I've seen a few traded and at least 2 sold. Aside from the one I got I've only ever seen/heard of 1 other Waypoint 15 being traded, though. I'd wager that a Waypoint 15 is one of the hardest to find, but who knows.

Blazerfan, Geonap and 2Dolphins are all hard to find? I think OKIC can be added as a hard to find coin. I've also seen a handful of Moun10Bike ver. 1 coins exchanging hands, so maybe they're not as rare as people think? They just have a hefty price tag. The same goes with IndyDiver, I've seen a few traded and at least 2 sold. Aside from the one I got I've only ever seen/heard of 1 other Waypoint 15 being traded, though. I'd wager that a Waypoint 15 is one of the hardest to find, but who knows.

By OKIC, you mean the 2004 Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana Cachers coin?

I'd wager that a Waypoint 15 is one of the hardest to find, but who knows.

Nah, there were 200 of them minted as well, AND the person where I believe you got yours from had managed to get 5 of them by contacting former cachers through old cache logs.

Huh... That was pretty clever thinking! Still, I for one would really like to latch onto one.

Nah, there were 200 of them minted as well, AND the person where I believe you got yours from had managed to get 5 of them by contacting former cachers through old cache logs.

Yeah, but the whereabouts of many of them is unknown. And jeez, I'd rather not have the coin than waste time going through logs to see who got them. :anibad:

Hey AG, if they're not so hard to find could you get me one please? :anibad:

Please read the quote above mine.... He said he'd wager it was the hardest to find. I was merely saying I didn't think it was any harder to find than the others and why.

Silly runner, go have a gatoraid or somethin' ;)

So this is the list????

Moun10Bike Ver 1

Moun10Bike Ver 2

IndyDiver

Team Fisur

Waypoint15

Square T

Wandering Dragon

Goblindust

Capt Prozac

Blazerfan

Geonap

2Dolphins

Habercacher

Danman

DHobby Ver 1

OKIC

Well I have 8 of the 16, I batting .500 <_< .

Any one willing to assist me on obtaining the following please feel free to contact me via e-mail.

Moun10Bike Ver 1

IndyDiver

Team Fisur

Waypoint15

Square T

Capt Prozac

Habercacher

Danman

Edited by Damenace

I love that list above and currently have 9 of them. But in my opinion the GD mystery coins should be up there. Those coins were a big mystery for awhile and when the secret got out of who made them, only a few people that were quick enough, were able to trade him for the set. He only made 30 of one and 50 of the other GD coins. Most others were placed in caches a few years ago. I believe He told me he had a jewelry shop make them a couple years ago.

I was fortunate to quickly set up a trade for the set of GD coins.

Edited by Team CoyChev
Holy carp!  I have 11 of those and both GD coins  :laughing:  :laughing:

I don't expect I'll ever lay eyes on any of the others:

IndyDiver

Team Fisur

Waypoint15

Capt Prozac

Habercacher

I'm batting .750 and if you add the GC coins, I'm batting .777. And if you come down to San Jose, I'll show you my Capt Prozac and Habercacher if you show me your Moun10Bike v.1. :laughing:

Team Fisur

Waypoint15

Square T

Wandering Dragon

Goblindust

Capt Prozac

Blazerfan

Geonap

2Dolphins

Habercacher

Danman

IMO, of course.

This is the sort of posting I wanted to see.

Thanks!

Ooooops... should read before I post...

Edited by graylling

I'll let you know the next time I visit my company's HQ (you can hear the screams from Great America's roller coaster from the 4th floor of our office!)

I'm batting .750 and if you add the GC coins, I'm batting .777. And if you come down to San Jose, I'll show you my Capt Prozac and Habercacher if you show me your Moun10Bike v.1. 

Edited by pdxmarathonman