How To Clean Animal Skulls?

TeamVilla5

Yes, I *KNOW* this has been asked at least once since I've been a member, and yes, I already looked over pages & pages of posts & couldn't find it... SIGH!

My kiddos & I found a most unusual thing caching today... a family of 5 opossums (or at least their bones) that had apparently starved to death in an old barn (in a cattle feeding container)... very sad! Anyway, one is the full skeleton (well, we broke off a leg extricating it from a lot of wire), and there are 4 other skulls, and various and sundry other bones that are not attached in any way. The skeleton is almost completely devoid of anything resembling "covering"... a few hairs & micro bits of skin at most... but prob. still contains the last vestiges of ligaments (thus it being "held together").

Any ideas on how to properly clean these? Is boiling the best option? Surely, I shouldn't attempt that in my kitchen? :grin: Any advice welcomed! TIA!

Happy Caching!

Lori V.

TeamVilla5

Hot water (to save time in heating) put in a big pot on your outside grill with a couple of tablespoons of Dawn in it...the time needed will vary depending on the amount of beast jerky remaining on the bones...if it's really covered, you may want to change the water out after a couple of hours and start over.

jamie

I didn't catch where you live, but one of the easiest methods is to simply bury it about 18" deep. Dig it up and check on it every other month. Nature will run its course. The organisms in the soil will get the "easy bits" first. Once the "meat" is gone, boil it in water to sterilize it and scrub the remainder off with a used toothbrush. A quick dip in a mild (50 - 1) bleach solution will make it bright. A couple quick coats of varish will preserve it.

Requires some labor, but it's one of the easiest ways... Outside of that, boiling it in a mild borax solution works VERY well. But you definitely want to do this outside.

I do my own "english" mounts of deer skulls/antlers... The bury method is my favorite, but if it's something I'm putting together for a relative or friend that lacks patience, I'll grab the old turkey fryer and a spare pot and boil it up...

I'm just a shade-tree... but I have a hunch there's some taxidermists here that may chime in and we'll both learn something new!