Contacting Reviewers Of Older Caches

Urubu

Is there a way to contact reviewers when the cache predates the new system of "Published" logs?

In my specific case, I'd like to get in touch with the reviewer (or currently responsible party) for this cache in the Custer, South Dakota area. But I'd also like to know in general -- is there a way of going from a specific cache to the reviewer on these older caches?

Thanks.

[Edited a minor typo]

Edited by Urubu

Territories change all the time, and it's best to contact the *current* reviewer. If you look at ten caches hidden in the area of your example over the past several months, and they've all been published by Electric Mouse, then it's a safe bet that the correct reviewer to contact is Electric Mouse. (Psssst, that is the correct answer.) The fact that the cache in question may have been reviewed by a volunteer who used to have responsibility for that area, or was covering during a vacation period, is irrelevant.

You can also write to the contact @ geocaching.com address any time when you are not sure who is the correct reviewer.

Thanks, Keystone!

I asked because I want to contact the current reviewer about a problem that, while important, does not merit a "Should Be Archived" -- the cache is still in good shape and well worth visiting, but the hider seems inactive and the published coordinates are more than 800' off.

It seems to me questions like this about "Who is the reviewer?" come up all the time. The feeling I get is that it is intentionally made a little difficult to figure out who the reviewer is and how to contact them so that people aren't just contacting reviewers trivially when reviewers have enough other things to do besides responding to a million litle questions.

Seems like this could be a good area for some additional work to be put in on the site's backend to deal make dealing with queries like this take less effort for the reviewer -- by providing things like one-click stock answers to common questions, or fill in the blanks forms for common but slightly more involved questions, and then you could just have a "send a note to this cache's reviewer" link on the cache page without overloading reviewers with questions.

Maybe even a big set of guidelines about what you should/shouldn't contact the reviewer for before it lets you send them a note, and a disclaimer stating you are not guaranteed a response from the reviewer, so if there is serious problem with the cache, you should log an SBA instead. Posting an SBA does seem to kinda be the "nuclear option" though and can generate ill-will when used trivially, so people hesitate to use it at times.

Edited by kelly@9
Seems like this could be a good area for some additional work to be put in on the site's backend to deal make dealing with queries like this take less effort for the reviewer -- by providing things like one-click stock answers to common questions, or fill in the blanks forms for common but slightly more involved questions,

Sorta like this?

Seems like this could be a good area for some additional work to be put in on the site's backend to deal make dealing with queries like this take less effort for the reviewer -- by providing things like one-click stock answers to common questions, or fill in the blanks forms for common but slightly more involved questions,

Sorta like this?

Nice Markwell Mopar. <_<

Hopefully the search function will be restored soon (OMG do I miss that function!) and maybe folks will find these answers easier then. I am always surprised though how often an answer is listed in a sticky at the top of a forum but not checked by the questioner. I think that many folks simply aren't "forum familiar". I know that before I came here I had been reading and posting in other types of forums for quite a while and that gave me an edge when it came to geocaching. By the time my GPSr arrived in the mail I had read a gozillion (that's a lot!) of posts here on all sorts of topics so I didn't have to ask too many questions. Many folks have little or no online forum experience.

As long as there are new folks joining (and I'm glad there are) you will see the same questions repeated. (In a previous gaming forum life I think I posted the same instructions about a certain problem about 40 times at least.) I'm just glad there are folks out there such as yourself who will markwell posts to help others rather than ranting at them. Thanks.