Problem Cachers

Yeshua's Girls

Anyone else having problems with some "new" (at least to the area) cachers not reading instructions and/or telling area muggles about caches???

I've noticed a huge jump in the number of new cachers lately (A whole lot of people got GPSrs for Christmas maybe?) Given this, there's bound to be a jump in nubcake* mistakes happening. In most cases, they'll figure things out soon enough.

* Nubcake == Newbie. It's amazing what you learn from this game. Thanks to Adelos's "1337" cache, I learned that I was oblivious to a whole subculture that's far geekier than I am or ever was.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
Anyone else having problems with some "new" (at least to the area) cachers not reading instructions and/or telling area muggles about caches???

Well, as Capie asked earlier, I would love to hear examples. On the other hand, we were all newbies at one time and probably all made mistakes. It just goes with the sport.

There are plenty of experienced cachers that are still making mistakes. For example in the past 24 hours, we have found an incorrectly logged TB (ROX 4 TB) and a multi-cache with incorrect instructions for the final WP (Tranquility #18: Trinity). A couple of examples that the author of this thread might find particularly relevant.

It is just my personal feeling that one should never speak badly about anyone elses cache or cache mistakes until you have actually hidden one yourself. I see this in logs all the time and then I look on that persons user stats to see which caches they have hidden only to find out they have never hidden one. I try to never be critical of another persons cache as long as they are out there trying. Without hides there is no geocaching.

It is just my personal feeling that one should never speak badly about anyone elses cache or cache mistakes until you have actually hidden one yourself. I see this in logs all the time and then I look on that persons user stats to see which caches they have hidden only to find out they have never hidden one. I try to never be critical of another persons cache as long as they are out there trying. Without hides there is no geocaching.

I am not speaking badly of anyone's caches or otherwise being critical. Rather illustrating that mistakes are made (by all cachers) and perhaps more often with those new to the game. I don't feel that a beginner's mistakes warrant a thread discussion but, as one was started I gave my opinion.

The opening thread made comment of not reading/following instructions properly. Had we done exactly so today, we would have ended up 20 miles away.

Of course I appreciate the time and effort that goes into making caches. At the same time if there weren't new people joining the sport, I doubt that there would be as many and such a variety of caches for all of us to enjoy.

It is my personal feeling that pointing out a beginner's mistakes contributes nothing to the sport. Unless one is willing to coach new cachers, we must understand that mistakes are going to happen.

I have noticed a lot of DNF logs by people with less than 50 finds, and a few finds with less than 50. It seems there are a lot of new cachers.

You know what,we where all new when we started and we all make mistakes. Its called being human. I have one year as of the 19th of dec. and 585 finds 23 hides, I'm not a expert yet but I do ok. I have my friends to call for a lifeline and if need be e-mail and ask for a clue. I have even had friends that have a higher count and have been doing this longer then me ask for help if I have found it and there stuck.

Just like Sarge Holka said in Stripes lighten up Francis.

Well being one of the Nubes, I try to read all of the cache instructions before we head out. I know I have made a few errors aready and fixed them. The family and I are learning, All I ask is advice and patience. I do accept advice in many forms, A kick in the arse and 2x4 are often used by my wife.

Thank yous

DaMoores

Is there anything to this.

Seems to be in the same general area. I don't mean to talk out of school...

I can't tell you how much I respect the community of Geocachers here in San Diego. Had I come into a community of angry self centered people as exists elsewhere I doubt I would have developed the love that I have for this sport. Contrast what is going on up the street with what has been happening here this weekend and you can see some remarkable extremes of the personality of two groups of cachers. Again I must say THANK YOU San Diego Geocachers for who you are and the respect you show others! Jeff / drexotic

Is there anything to this.

Seems to be in the same general area. I don't mean to talk out of school...

I can't tell you how much I respect the community of Geocachers here in San Diego. Had I come into a community of angry self centered people as exists elsewhere I doubt I would have developed the love that I have for this sport. Contrast what is going on up the street with what has been happening here this weekend and you can see some remarkable extremes of the personality of two groups of cachers. Again I must say THANK YOU San Diego Geocachers for who you are and the respect you show others! Jeff / drexotic

Very well said drexotic!! We agree...what a great caching community we've turned out to be!!