Explorist 210

I have a 210 and love it. Once map software was loaded it made it much easier to find some caches on odd streets and locations in the cities. The only thing is that 22meg is really not that much space for maps so different map need to be loaded when going to cities unlike my other GPS the 600 that uses an SD card and I can load maps of all the cities I will be at on any one trip.

I’ve used this 210 for just over a month and have been very happy with its speed and the fact that it uses AA batteries. I have taking many muggle friends and there getting the same GPS to start there caching fun. The Geocaching software it comes with is great for loading names of caches, hints, and types of caches. Upload caches as waypoints you tend to lose hints and types of caches. I have found that others that use waypoints don’t always know if the cache is a Traditional, Virtual, Multi-cache or so on so this is a big plus.

As long as the posted cords are right I have always been able to get the cache location and start the hunt, can’t always find the cache but the GPS gets me there what more can you ask for. I got mine at the Circuit City web site for only $159.99 plus tax, and pick it up the same day at a store near me.

Lostlad

<_<

the rubber covering on my joystick broke off within a month. however this is my perfered gps unit so i hate to give it up.(i have to have it repaired i need it to be water proof)

so this leads me to my point customer service!! it sucks, i do mean sucks.

its unbelievable that such a great unit has bad customer service. ive only had it for 2 months so its well under warenty but gettin an RMA for it is like pulling teeth. i just want the rubber joystick fixed

so basically wonderful unit long as it doesnt break

Is there any way to view only several selected caches. I loaded my 210 up with chaches and it shows them all on the map screen. The screen is so cluttered, I had to unload all of the caches and load only the ones I wanted to see. Provided documentation is not very helpful.

Thanks

What I did with my 210 is create several different cache files for various areas (XX Park, ##th St., etc.). You can start with a centrally located cache at geocaching.com and view nearby caches, then download the group as one file. Upload all the files to the 210, then you can select one set of caches at a time to view.

"Zoom in" also helps with the clutter.

I got a 300 and have been pretty happy with it so far. I was wondering is the chipset in the 300 and the 210 the same? Basically I want to get the unit with the best reception. I would like to take it on a plane and make sure I don't lose signal while traveling.

Also when people talk of 10 satellites, is this a best case condition? I have gotten 10 satellites in an open field, but generally only have 4-5 under tree cover.

Edited by aranjit

Ive had my 210 for a few weeks now, I love it, excellent reception and very accurate, I got the outdoor bundle so I have the topo maps, case and car adapter as well, got it all for $185, I dont think you could beat that for what you get.

And for the guy above, getting 1-5 sats in heavy cover or indoors is better than just about any unit out there other than the Map X series from Garmin, but those are 3 times the cost and they only do a little better.

I'm going on 1 month now with my 210, and I'm a newbie, but pleased with it. Seems however to get better sat reception in certain parts of town versus others. No idea why, there is just as much open sky in either place. Usually get to about 10-20ft accuracy, but some places only 30-40ft.

One thing I am trying to figure out, though, is if you can add geocache points to a current file already in the GPS... Or is it once uploaded, you can't make changes to it? I have a file called "Central Scottsdale", for example, but would like to add more points to that instead of having to make a "Central Scottsdale 2" file in the geocache folder. Anyone?

Okay - after much reading here, I bought the Explorist 210, but I must be a total dolt because I can NOT get it to save a marked point!

I've been trying and it seems to save, but when I go to retrieve them, they're gone.

Also - I have an older copy of Mapsend, and it saved "region" files with an .rgn extension that the 210 doesn't seem to recognize. I tried using the Map Conversion software that came with it, but it doesn't seem to recognize the .rgn files either. Neither does that software recognize the USB connection to the computer. I guess I'll have to break down and buy the Directroute CD to get more detailed maps on it.

I'm a complete GPS newb, so I found those two things really frustrating. On the positive side, it picked up my location after I first turned it on very quickly and seems to update really well when I drive.

Yup, it's a limit of 200 POIs per geocache file. If you want 300 in there you either have to load them as regular POIs (500 per file limit) or break them down in some way to no more than 200 per file and then have multiple files.

I have several pokect quarrys setup. i break them down by distances from home normaly start at a 20 mile radius. Ore if traveling with it i break them down by location. I know ths is just a work around but it seems to function well for me.

Just ordered one from tigergps (the outdoor bundle sells for just under 200 and with the 30 rebate it comes to just around 150, can't beat that). I was concerned as I just read some less than positive reviews on another forum, but your posts have all confirmed my initial feelings about the unit, it is what I am looking for and I can't wait to get it.

I think the list of 210 users is a great idea...

I have had my 210 for three weeks now but still can not figure out how to load detailed maps from the mapsend software I got with the outdoor package. I created a region and try to send it to the gps and the gps says it is uploading the detailed map info and it locks up and never uploads? Any one who can give me some advice I would appreciate it.

One thing I am trying to figure out, though, is if you can add geocache points to a current file already in the GPS... Or is it once uploaded, you can't make changes to it? I have a file called "Central Scottsdale", for example, but would like to add more points to that instead of having to make a "Central Scottsdale 2" file in the geocache folder. Anyone?

If you create a new POI using the MARK key, it will be added to the currently active POI file--as long as the 500 POI limit has not been reached.

If you are wanting to upload a new POI to the GPS, I can't remember off the top of my head whether MapSend and the Conversion Manager combo will do that. I recall that when MapSend used to send a waypoint file to my Meridian, that it first sent a signal clearing the old file out. If you use GSAK/GPSBabel to send POIs over, there should be a checkbox to select if you want to erase the existing file or add to it.

So, the bottom line is that you can add to the file, but you may have to make sure you are using software that allows for it.

Okay - after much reading here, I bought the Explorist 210, but I must be a total dolt because I can NOT get it to save a marked point!

I've been trying and it seems to save, but when I go to retrieve them, they're gone.

Also - I have an older copy of Mapsend, and it saved "region" files with an .rgn extension that the 210 doesn't seem to recognize. I tried using the Map Conversion software that came with it, but it doesn't seem to recognize the .rgn files either. Neither does that software recognize the USB connection to the computer. I guess I'll have to break down and buy the Directroute CD to get more detailed maps on it.

POIs: how are you looking? After you save it and then do an immediate GOTO/nearest position does it show up at the top of your list?

MapSend: how much older version, and which MapSend? If the version you have recognizes the 210's serial number, it should generate an .imi file for the Explorist. The .rgn files only define the region's boundaries. I think the .imi files should be in the Export\Images folder.

I have had my 210 for three weeks now but still can not figure out how to load detailed maps from the mapsend software I got with the outdoor package. I created a region and try to send it to the gps and the gps says it is uploading the detailed map info and it locks up and never uploads? Any one who can give me some advice I would appreciate it.

It sounds like your computer is recognizing the GPS as an external drive. Try using Windows Explorer to copy the .imi file from your MapSend Topo 3D USA\Export\Images folder to see if that works.

A second thought: are you sure that the detail map file is small enough to fit in the 210's available memory?

Ok I have another problem. My explorist 210 is acting strange. It says it is tracking 7-8 satelites. It takes for ever to get a 3D fix. When it does it has the accuracy says 35 ft and it then goes to 56 ft then to 37 ft. It keeps bouncing around, even if I am in a wide open area. I find a location for a cache an it will count down the distance and then it goes away from the location, when I return to the same location it says I am 20 feet away. When I am traveling it will track along and then freeze up for about 3 min and then pick back up. And finally when I go to compass mode it will point to north and if I turn around it never moves? it says I am pointing north everyway I am going.It will some times unlock and point north but then it locks up again. I am so frustrated with this darn thing.

Has anyone had any similar problems? It was caching great, then all of a sudden I can't find squat. I think I need to exchange it with tigergps where I bought it before my 60 day warantee runs out, then I have to go through Magellan.

Any advise??????? Please Help!!!

Ok I have another problem. My explorist 210 is acting strange. It says it is tracking 7-8 satelites. It takes for ever to get a 3D fix. When it does it has the accuracy says 35 ft and it then goes to 56 ft then to 37 ft. It keeps bouncing around, even if I am in a wide open area. I find a location for a cache an it will count down the distance and then it goes away from the location, when I return to the same location it says I am 20 feet away. When I am traveling it will track along and then freeze up for about 3 min and then pick back up. And finally when I go to compass mode it will point to north and if I turn around it never moves? it says I am pointing north everyway I am going.It will some times unlock and point north but then it locks up again. I am so frustrated with this darn thing.

Re: your accuracy readings

Some fluctuation in accuracy readings is not necessarily abnormal. It is very common under tree cover. A difference of 20 feet in a reading for the same location is well within the error of a consumer handheld GPS. If you have reason to feel your unit is not working as well as it did earlier, though, you can clear all memory and reintialize to see if things get better.

Re: freezing up

3 minutes? That doesn't sound normal. Are there any conditions associated with the times that happens?

Re: compass mode

The 210 doesn't have the electronic compass like the the 600 or the 300. The 210's compass is derived from a change in position as measured by GPS signal. If you stand still and turn in a different directions, the GPS doesn't know about it. If you take a few steps in a new direction, *then* it knows that you are going on a different heading than you were before, and it can display that in a compass readout.

Re: your accuracy readings

Some fluctuation in accuracy readings is not necessarily abnormal. It is very common under tree cover. A difference of 20 feet in a reading for the same location is well within the error of a consumer handheld GPS. If you have reason to feel your unit is not working as well as it did earlier, though, you can clear all memory and reintialize to see if things get better.

Re: freezing up

3 minutes? That doesn't sound normal. Are there any conditions associated with the times that happens?

Re: compass mode

The 210 doesn't have the electronic compass like the the 600 or the 300. The 210's compass is derived from a change in position as measured by GPS signal. If you stand still and turn in a different directions, the GPS doesn't know about it. If you take a few steps in a new direction, *then* it knows that you are going on a different heading than you were before, and it can display that in a compass readout.

Embra, thanks for the information. Is the explorist 300 a better unit? I have the ability to trade this explorist 210 on a explorist 300 for a cheaper price.

Embra, thanks for the information. Is the explorist 300 a better unit? I have the ability to trade this explorist 210 on a explorist 300 for a cheaper price.

I have a 300, from what I've been told its got the same receiver (as all the Explorists I think) and a compass vs the 210. It does not have native PC connectivity, a geocaching manager in the unit or the extra memory (it has 16meg). You can get an aftermarket cable but since its not official you won't get any support for it, so its only good for geocaching if you are willing to solve your own problems if you have any with the cable or you manually enter points.

When I go caching it generally takes me pretty close to the cache (20ft or less) and always has reception (even if its not great). I haven't had any issues with the unit freezing. When you say its freezing is it just the compass that doesn't move or the device becomes completely nonresponsive?

I have a 300, from what I've been told its got the same receiver (as all the Explorists I think) and a compass vs the 210. It does not have native PC connectivity, a geocaching manager in the unit or the extra memory (it has 16meg). You can get an aftermarket cable but since its not official you won't get any support for it, so its only good for geocaching if you are willing to solve your own problems if you have any with the cable or you manually enter points.

When I go caching it generally takes me pretty close to the cache (20ft or less) and always has reception (even if its not great). I haven't had any issues with the unit freezing. When you say its freezing is it just the compass that doesn't move or the device becomes completely nonresponsive?

It has been both. I have a freeze up and have to take the batteries out and restart it and the compass, I did not know it did not have a true compass in it. I am also looking at the 600. Have you heard anything on these?

I might as well add my feeling on the 210 as I just bought one about 3 weeks ago from REI (210 bundle for $185). It seems well worth $150 after rebate. Generally a good tool to show you what GPS can and can't do for not much money. Playing with tracklogs in USAPhotomaps and GPS Visualizer has been the most interesting for me. I have put a bunch of geocaches in it, but haven't actually gone looking for any yet.

I have had a few glitches here and there (power up unit but unit shuts off...have to power it back up again). Seems other brands units exhibit some 'flakeyness', so I'm not concerned about that. I am worried that I made a bad choice by not picking a color unit (etrex * Cx). I have toyed with returning it for a fancier handheld, but the more I think about how I use it, it makes sense to have multiple units for different uses. I'm thinking of picking up a Streetpilot for car use. I can't imagine a handheld replacing the utility of a dedicated car unit.

Man,

I just bought my Explorist 210. So far I have had a blast with it. But I didn't know about the Outdoor bundle at TigerGPS or REI. I paid $129 for the unit alone, reasonable price, but I really wish I had gotten the bundle deal!!!!

I guess I have to go to Radio Shack and bet the car adapter and save up for TOPO 3D

Hi all!

Ok. So from what I just read on this forum, I'm going to guess that my 210 is defective. It takes at least 5 minutes to get a fix, no matter the location, and with only 3 hours of use, the batteries were dead. Would this sound like a safe bet?

Some of you have mentioned speed. Does this mean you don't have to touch the joystick to get the arrow that shows your location to move? It's the only way I can get the screen to update...

I just want to check. I hate to think that I spent money (right now I'm broke, so anything over 10 bucks is good money these days) and that I got a bad unit!

I was able to find some caches...but I was using a 300-which i exchanged for a 210 thinking I was getting a better deal...

HI,

I ordered my 210 from tigergps , when ordered website said was in stock, next day get email, out of stock, should ship within 2 to 3 days, week later recieve 210 bundle. Pays to read ALL manuals, LOL, load a topo region after reading ALL manuals, LOL, go on two geocaches, love it in woods, go on third geocache, lcd screen shoots craps. 210 is now a $180 nite lite. will update after talking with tigergps, 60 day no hassle returns sounds good untill I read fine print., has to go back to Megellan if software is opened. Of course it is opened. :laughing:

I'm just now getting back into this stuff, so the tigergps deal, isn't much or a deal?

I maybe eating my words! I called tigergps on Wed. they gave me a return number via email in about 2 minutes even though the software was opened and installed on my pc. Today is friday nite and I recieved a email letting me know that my new 210 has been shipped. I sent the defective one by US priority mail Wed after talking with them. So far Tigergps has been great as far as return of this defective 210. I will update after receiving the new one.

Ken

I received the new 210 on July 19th, fast service from tigergps except from what i can tell they said they would refund up to $6.95 for return shipping to them for this type of return. I guess I will h ave to call and ask about it. New gps works fine. After talking with tech people at Magellen I will never attach the usb cord to back of gps if its pluged into either computer or under power from car adapter.

Has anyone had any similar problems? It was caching great, then all of a sudden I can't find squat. I think I need to exchange it with tigergps where I bought it before my 60 day warantee runs out, then I have to go through Magellan.

Any advise??????? Please Help!!!

Mine locks up in a similar fashion. Have been working on it for 2 months with no solution. Can't find a relationship between the lockups and anything else.

Hi from the UK! New on here, but very impressed - you have a great forum, very friendly and informative. I was looking for advice on what to buy to replace my Explorist 210, but after finding this thread, I am going to use the knowledge found here to give it a second chance. If so many of you think it's a good device, then it must be worth more effort from me.

I have to say, I have not found it to be very user friendly. I buy a TomTom and it just does what it says, I buy an Explorist and I need to learn new computer techniques! Ah well! :)

Another attempt to come to terms with my 210 has ended in failure! I can connect the unit to my Vista running laptop as a drive - no problem. I can set up MemoryMap to see the GPS and lock on - no problem. I can set up MapPoint to see the GPS and lock on - no problem. Magellan Converter tells me "No Explorist was detected"!! ;)

I tried every combination of settings to remedy this, but nothing works. Has anyone any ideas? Is my 210, or the USB cable, goosed? Are there any settings I have missed? Please help, otherwise it's a new Garmin HCx next week! We're walking in wild Spain in May, and I need a unit that I can load with a set of PNF's I have bought.