Explorist 210

IMHO, it has a fantastic receiver, or I just live in a great spot for reception. I almost always get 8-10 satellites, and WAAS. 4-8 indoors. Under those outdoor conditions, errors will be a few feet most of the time. Because it has a PC connection, you can get SA Watch and average the readings for even more accuracy. On the downside, because I'm working on a lighting fast PC, I find the response time a bit slow when changing menus or redrawing maps. I assume they kept the processing slow to conserve batteries, and you really see it when the unit is gathering and locking on to satellites when you first turn it on. Sometimes I just want to power up and fool with POIs, not even receive satellites at all. The PC/Windows file system is great. Unlike other units, it always figures out where it is in about two minutes or less. None of this leaving it out in an open place for 20 minutes nonsense. If you go way out of range, you just enter the general location, but that's almost never necessary. In fact, the unit is difficult to confuse, even if you purposely tell it the wrong location. It can, however get out of sync on the time, and it's a good idea to do a complete reset every couple months, or give it a "bad" location and let it correct the time itself (think this works, but haven't proven it beyond all doubt).

IMHO, it has a fantastic receiver, or I just live in a great spot for reception. I almost always get 8-10 satellites, and WAAS. 4-8 indoors. Under those outdoor conditions, errors will be a few feet most of the time. Because it has a PC connection, you can get SA Watch and average the readings for even more accuracy. On the downside, because I'm working on a lighting fast PC, I find the response time a bit slow when changing menus or redrawing maps. I assume they kept the processing slow to conserve batteries, and you really see it when the unit is gathering and locking on to satellites when you first turn it on. Sometimes I just want to power up and fool with POIs, not even receive satellites at all. The PC/Windows file system is great. Unlike other units, it always figures out where it is in about two minutes or less. None of this leaving it out in an open place for 20 minutes nonsense. If you go way out of range, you just enter the general location, but that's almost never necessary. In fact, the unit is difficult to confuse, even if you purposely tell it the wrong location. It can, however get out of sync on the time, and it's a good idea to do a complete reset every couple months, or give it a "bad" location and let it correct the time itself (think this works, but haven't proven it beyond all doubt).

Pretty sweet ain't it? Yeah, I can usually get 3 sats indoors with the old trusty Gold. Helps me track down the tater chips. Makes my son crazy nutso whacko, others simply refuse to believe it. :)

Edited by Team Cotati

I was just thinking that we should start a forum to collect nicknames of those that do have the eXplorist 210. I’m glad to see this thread. I bought one for my son and am trying to learn the nuances of the new folder system. I ended up writing my own manual about how to download and manage waypoints using a PC while using the software that came with the GPSr.

I really like it so far but have managed to lock it up. :grin: was trying to delete a folder when it locked up. Now I keep getting “Loading, please wait.” The problem is it never stops loading or whatever it is doing. I restarted it and now it doesn’t keep the user entries I make either. I hope that a rep at Thales writes back soon. I submitted have a request for info about what to do about it. For more info about this problem I'm having see this thread, "Explorist - Invalid Basemap Default Map Loading."

Right now I am borrowing a GPSr from one of my students.

-it

Edited by Iowa Tom

I use a Gold but bought a 210 for my daughter and we used it for the 1st time this last weekend. It's deadly accurate but the geo-software still has me a bit baffled. I downloaded a 9mb detail map from mapsend topo without incident. Then I went to download the 300 caches I wanted to put in there from my gsak to the magellan geocache software. All transfered to the software program but not to the gps itself. It's like it picked & choosed which caches it liked. I'm sure I missed something somewhere. :anibad:

We've had one for about a month now and think it's great. Before that, we had an older model Magellan 310 that was OK but it only went out to 2 decimal places accuracy and would not accept cache downloads (every cache had to be entered manually). We have had more than 10 sats already on our 210 and the accuracy is excellent. The only thing I don't like about it is not being able to delete geocache waypoints in the field like you can do with POI's. Other than that, it's great.

I believe I read here on the forums that the 210 can hold thousands of POI's but only 200 geocache waypoints at a time. If that's correct, that is probably why Blucruz can see 300 on Geocache Manager but only 200 on the GPSr. Maybe someone can verify this.

Now, we're going to try paperless caching! We won a bid for a Palm IIIxe on Ebay and should have it later this week. Between the 210 and the Palm, we should really start to roll.

Good caching!

Mike

Yup, it's a limit of 200 POIs per geocache file. If you want 300 in there you either have to load them as regular POIs (500 per file limit) or break them down in some way to no more than 200 per file and then have multiple files.

Thanks, I guess I would find that if I read the instructions 1st huh? :anibad:

Make sure you click the "Append To list" button when you open a new file. It should then add your new file to one already displayed.

I just got my 210 in, so add my name to the list. I'm stepping up from a Magellan 2000 so I'm pretty pleased. I don't have any extra maps loaded onto it and my schedule hasn't allowed me to try it out in the field, but just playing around with it I'm very pleased.

I did have some trouble downloading Benchmarks onto it using the Magellan geocaching sotware. The file was there but none of the locations showed up. I think it's because the GPS requires a name for each waypoint and Benchmarks don't have one.

Hi, I just bought an Explorist 210 also and it seems pretty good so far. I am a total newbie, though, so what do I know? :o Even in the car it seems very sensitive to mph, position, and so on. Am I correct in assuming there is no firmware upgrades for it? I went to the Magellan site and there does not appear to be any upgrades. Has anyone noted that also. Thanks.

When using GSAK you will have to manually transfer the files...

Part One

GSAK -> GPS -> Export to Magellan eXplorist... -> Under "Format required" choose "eXplorist Geocaches" -> Name your .gs file and point it to the desktop -> click Generate and a .gs file will be on the desktop.

Part Two

Make sure your 210 is connected and turned on... It will connect like a "Removable Drive" -> Browse to the Geocache folder and COPY the .gs file from the desktop into the geocache folder of the GPS.

Perhaps this is old news but I had to learn via trial and error. :o

I loaded 300+ caches this way... I noticed a major slowdown in the processing speed. Also... GSAK will sometimes truncate/abbreviate the cache names. I am still trying to figure this one out. I loaded them through the Cache Manager software and it worked flawlessly.

When using GSAK you will have to manually transfer the files...

Part One

GSAK -> GPS -> Export to Magellan eXplorist... -> Under "Format required" choose "eXplorist Geocaches" -> Name your .gs file and point it to the desktop -> click Generate and a .gs file will be on the desktop.

Part Two

Make sure your 210 is connected and turned on... It will connect like a "Removable Drive" -> Browse to the Geocache folder and COPY the .gs file from the desktop into the geocache folder of the GPS.

If instead of pointing to the desktop, you point it to your explorist (hooked up as an external drive) you can write those files directly into the geocache folder and save yourself the second step.

Also... GSAK will sometimes truncate/abbreviate the cache names.  I am still trying to figure this one out.

This will depend upon the code you use in the "Geocche Name" field in the export dialog. I use "%drop2 %ShortName=12"; look in the help files to learn more about special tags you can use to create names to your liking.

I had a real time trying to figure out my son's eXplorist 210. Neither one of us saw any manual that came with it, other than a two very thin pamphlets. Found little to nothing on the CD or DVD that came with it. I finally decided that there must be one for it so I found it online.

Did everyone else get a regular manual? I ordered his from Amazon.com. It was about $165.00

-it

PS One other thing, does anybody have any idea how long you have to wait to get a response from Thales after you write to them about a problem. The eXplorist 210 we got is already locked up.

The manual is on the CD, but the latest version is on the Magellan web site, so you did best to download that.

There are some standard Magellan reset button combinations around- check the resources here for the link. Someone also recently posted an unpublished reset combination from Magellan. The one I have, that might solve your lockup problem, is the combination of GOTO+OUT+POWER, which should clear memory and set everything to default.

Ok, you knew that. I went back and found the other reset combination- POWER+ZOOMIN+GOTO for ten seconds will reset a checking media lockup on some Magellans.

Edited by Photobuff

I just bought a Magellan Explorist 210 and love it. However, It came with a USB cable that has a connection for an external power source. The manual don't say anything about hooking the receiver to an external power source and there are no power cords available as accessories for the 210. My question is, can the 210 run off the power cords for the Explorist 400, 500, or 600? What if I where to put rechargeable batteries in the unit, could the 210 charge them?

Thanks.

It came with a USB cable that has a connection for an external power source.  The manual don't say anything about hooking the receiver to an external power source and there are no power cords available as accessories for the 210.  My question is, can the 210 run off the power cords for the Explorist 400, 500, or 600?  What if I where to put rechargeable batteries in the unit,  could the 210 charge them?

I wondered that myself. A Thales repair guy told me last night that they do make a car adapter for it.

I have to send mine (actually my son's) in. I finally figured out what's causing the trouble and when it happened. The problem started at the moment I tried to delete an extra folder I made as a "copy" with some geocache waypoints that I had downloaded into it. Some of the waypoints got corrupted. Then the file got corrupted and prevented the maps from showing up.

My computer cannot delete the corrupted files so I have to send it in. They said they have never seen this problem before. I'd like to say I feel special but I don't. :ph34r:

-it

It came with a USB cable that has a connection for an external power source. The manual don't say anything about hooking the receiver to an external power source and there are no power cords available as accessories for the 210. My question is, can the 210 run off the power cords for the Explorist 400, 500, or 600? What if I where to put rechargeable batteries in the unit, could the 210 charge them?

I assume that the same power cords for the 4/5/600 also work with the 210, although I don't know that for sure. If so, the Pelican PSP 12v adapter at Walmart is cheaper than the Magellan product but works as well at providing power from a 12v source. I suppose if you can verify that the Magellan adapter is the same for both the 210 and its bigger brothers, then you can be confident that all the other stuff is similar.

You won't be able to recharge batteries in the 210; that will take recharging circuitry not built into the unit.

I assume that the same power cords for the 4/5/600 also work with the 210, although I don't know that for sure.  If so, the Pelican PSP 12v adapter at Walmart is cheaper than the Magellan product but works as well at providing power from a 12v source.  I suppose if you can verify that the Magellan adapter is the same for both the 210 and its bigger brothers, then you can be confident that all the other stuff is similar.

You won't be able to recharge batteries in the 210; that will take recharging circuitry not built into the unit.

I FINALLY heard back from Magellan Tech Support and the 210 is compatible with the 400/500/600 AC & DC power cords. I bought an after market PSP 12V power cords and it's working fine (thanks for that tip). You were also right about the 210 not having the circuitry to recharge batteries.

Thanks.

Yup, it's a limit of 200 POIs per geocache file. If you want 300 in there you either have to load them as regular POIs (500 per file limit) or break them down in some way to no more than 200 per file and then have multiple files.

we decided to go buy a explorist 210 as a second GPSr. I checked a few waypoints that I had made with the legendC and the explorist 200 showed me within 3-6ft at all of them.(pretty good if you ask me)

the only thing I was having problems with was when I uploaded geocache waypoints with gsak or magellan geocache manager, all my caches weren't showing up. after a little digging in the forum I now see there is a 200waypoint limit. would have probably figured it out if it had just dropped the farthest ones away& over 200, but it just picked random ones to drop.

Also have a 210 and love it! Wanted to pass along to anyone that is looking for a low cost alternative to the Magellan Car holder...try the Radio Shack A/C Vent Wireless Phone Mount (Part # 17-548). Looks like it was made to hold the eXplorist series, leaves all the buttons free, good quality, and it looks great! $14.99.

I'm certainly thinking of getting one of these. If I get a GPS unit I am pretty sure it'll be one of these.

What exactly does the Geocaching feature do? Does it allow you to enter in a bunch of caches and then go select some to hunt at will, rather than planning the entire journey in waypoints with your computer?

I take mine with me when ever I'm out and about. I have 200 caches loaded into it for around my home area and other files saved in my puter with the geocache manager ready to up load when I take a trip. If I see I am getting close to one while I'm driving and I have the time I hunt it down and log in. I realy like the unit. Need some mapping software to realy make it sing though!

Edited by goose_sbe

Lavareef,

The 210 allows you to store waypoints in "Windows" type folders. It gives you two options for waypoint folders: My Points of Interest and Geocache Points. When you use Magellan's Geocache Manager, it stores the caches in the Geocache Points folder. You can delete and create folders (and edit/add files) just like you would on your PC. I have my PA caches stored in one folder and my NJ caches stored in another. You can store up to 200 caches in one folder. When you want to access a cache, you enter the folder and decide if you want them listed by "Position, Cities or Other". Selecting Position will list them nearest to farthest from your home position, just like your GPSr would. It just doesn't change as you move since there is no way for it to track sats.

You can then scroll to select the cache you want. When you open a file in the Geocache Points folder, you get the following: Name, Cache ID (Waypoint), Owner, Type and Location (coords). You can add a few other things manually if you like, such as Difficulty, Terrain, etc. In the My Points of Interest folder, you get the following info for items stored there: Name, Location, Elevation and a Message you can add manually. So, the Geocache folder gives you more information relating to geocaching than the regular POI folder. I have never used GSAK or EasyGPS so I don't know how they compare to Geocache Manager.

The only thing I don't like is not being able to delete files in the Geocache Folder while "in the field". In order to delete files from this folder, you must use your PC. Files in the MY POI's folder can be deleted without using a PC. I don't know why Magellan set it up this way.

I hope this makes sense. We recently upgraded from an old Magellan 310 (no maps, no PC connectivity and only 2 decimal places for coords, among other things) and we are really enjoying the 210. Since it can hold thousands of geocache waypoints, we also began paperless caching a few weeks ago. We won a bid for a used Palm IIIxe on Ebay and now have information for 500 caches stored in it. With 8MB memory, it can probably hold another 1500 or so! Paperless caching, including the PDA, shipping and Cachemate software cost us less than $35. In the PDA, each cache has about 5 pages of information including the last 4 or 5 logs posted by visitors to the cache. I wish we had started doing this 2 years ago!

As goose_sbe mentioned, we plan to spend the extra money one day to get better maps. The unit has 8MB of maps built in and another 24MB or so for waypoints. The maps that come with it show major highways and roads, major parks, airports, restaurants, etc. but don't show smaller streets or "side streets". It's still better than what we had before. You will really like the 210.

Mike

Edited by Team SAR-Dogs

This is for those of you who have a Magellen Explorist 210 and have any secret or tellable tips for people buying and newbies like me :laughing::laughing:

I use an explorist 210. I've had it for about a month and it's served me well for my first 19 caches. The map software it comes pre-loaded with is adequate, but I would like to upgrade at some point.

Is the explorist 210 a newer/better model than the explorist 300? I tried comparing them on Magellan's web site and can't really see what is different, is it just that the 300 has the extra sensors (barometer, compass)?

I am trying to decide whether an explorist 210 or a lowrance ifinder h2o would be better for geocaching... anyone able to comment?

TIA

- Chad

Edited by F1sh

Here is a comparison chart that may be of value. I debated long and hard between the 300 and the 210 but cannot for the life of me remember why I chose the 210.

-it

it,

Thanks! That's a much better comparison than the one on Magallan's page. Judging by that, I think you made the right choice, it looks like the 210 has more memory and better file management for geocaching. It looks like the sensors are the only things that you are missing out on... and they aren't a big priority for me.

- Chad

Edited by F1sh

OK, so far I've purchased the Gilsson case, the radioshack vent mount, and Directroute. The last thing I'm looking for is to power the unit while I'm in the car. I purchased a PSP car adapter but I really don't like the way it connects with the middle of the cord supplied with the 210. I was thinking of going with one of those USB car cigarette adapters instead. I've seen the one at PC-Mobile but that seems like overkill because I believe the a USB port on a computer is only rated for 500 mA and this seems to power the unit fine when I plug it into the computer. I've found an inexpensive unit that will supply up to 450 mA. Do you think this will be sufficient? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've found an inexpensive unit that will supply up to 450 mA. Do you think this will be sufficient? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

450 mA is almost a half an amp. I cannot imagine that an eXplorist draws anywhere near that much. My old Pentax ME super camera only drew about 20 mA. 450 mA would suck the batteries dry in no time.

Besides the only think that would get cooked would be the power supply, which should have a fuse or a breaker on it anyway.

-it