Milestone Tagging

Davispak

Ok, Im not actually there, although I do have a FTF and the kids and I have a super cache day planned that could put us over 50. What I was wondering is, does anyone have a way they display their milestones on their hiking staff? Such as like a 50 finds patch or braided rope/string on the staff?

I have some ideas of what I am going to do and was wondering if there was already some homegrown thing already in place. I was thinking that small color coded braided rope would be a very cool way to show your accomplishments at cache functions or for just personal enjoyment. Any ideas or thoughts?

At GW3 a number of the California cachers were wearing golden walnuts around their necks (real walnuts, sprayed gold on a rather nice ribbon, sort of medal-like). Each walnut signified 1000 finds. I understand the Nashville convention is a golden ammo can for each 1000 finds.

I like the bead totem idea for attaching to a staff.

I like the bead idea. It wouldn't get as crowded on the ole hiking staff as when you started getting alot of ribbins or strings on it. My original thought was like in the military and the regimental colors would display battle ribbons for each battle the regiment had been in, but the bead idea is kinda cool. So, what colors to use? Red, blue,green, what? and what does each stand for?

Well... wedding anniversaries are commemorated with

10 - Tin

25 - Silver

50 - Gold

75 - Diamond

You could follow the same order and use different beads or "charms" for each milestone:

Tin - 50 finds

Silver - 100 finds

Gold - 500 finds

Diamond - 1000 finds

Might get a little expensive after a few thousand finds though.

At GW3 a number of the California cachers were wearing golden walnuts around their necks (real walnuts, sprayed gold on a rather nice ribbon, sort of medal-like). Each walnut signified 1000 finds. I understand the Nashville convention is a golden ammo can for each 1000 finds.

That is unbelievably pathetic.

Actually, any kind of "award" for find counts is pretty sad, now that I think of it.

I thought the golden walnuts were pretty cool, actually. NUTS - and they (the wearers) were happily nut-like about the whole thing. I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a similar Florida "thingy" - but palmetto berries shrivel and rot, hickories split and Florida acorns are too darn small to try and mount. I DID consider a 35mm film can ;-) sprayed gold, ribbon mounted, very formally presented at events to all present 1K finders...

hmm....

I thought the golden walnuts were pretty cool, actually. NUTS - and they (the wearers) were happily nut-like about the whole thing. I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a similar Florida "thingy" - but palmetto berries shrivel and rot, hickories split and Florida acorns are too darn small to try and mount. I DID consider a 35mm film can ;-) sprayed gold, ribbon mounted, very formally presented at events to all present 1K finders...

hmm....

How about a plastic flamingo keychain, spray-painted a different color to signify whatever milestone?

Actually, any kind of "award" for find counts is pretty sad, now that I think of it.

It's not "pathetic", just kind of strange sounding, unless you know that the Northern California caching club is called N.U.T.S (Northstate Unusal Treasure Seekers), then the golden walnuts make sense, and you sound like a crabb with no sense of humor.

Ouch...that sounds like a personal attack...how 'bout I end with a compliment: Your rant had no spellling errors :)

Feel free to check out our mailing list:

N.U.T.S.

Edited by The Badge & the Butterfly
It's not "pathetic", just kind of strange sounding, unless you know that the Northern California caching club is called N.U.T.S (Northstate Unusal Treasure Seekers), then the golden walnuts make sense, and you sound like a crabb with no sense of humor.

Everybody in the club wearing golden walnuts: funny.

People using golden walnuts to brag about their find count: pathetic.

I don't have any trouble with people who want to commemorate their milestones by buying coins. That's fine.

But wearing them around your neck at an event -- that's different. I don't think it's wrong, just sad.

My kids used their own money and purchased walking sticks. The stick are metal and apparently a popular brand. Either way, you really can't notch them so we are going to use beads on them. I have found some nice leather strips to tie to the top ans the are deciding on what colors they are going to use for what. My 8 year old daughter will be putting a blue bead on for her FTF and they are using white for each find, red for multi cache and yellow for letterbox. I'm going to have to put a few on mine or they will feel i'm not participating, but it should be fun. Think I will go with just a white one for each 10 I find and a green for every 50. I'll post a pic when I get the kids ones done.

I don't have any trouble with people who want to commemorate their milestones by buying coins. That's fine.

But wearing them around your neck at an event -- that's different. I don't think it's wrong, just sad.

Some might find using the "I'm incredibly cool" "author's book flyleaf" pose picture as their avatar sad. Different strokes for different folks. Why do you care what others do? Why do you feel the need to pass judgement on them? They didn't "ask" for the golden nut - it was presented to them. Does that make them pathetic? I think not.

The N.U.T.S. are a loose group of folks (a lot of folks) who just enjoy geocaching. Let people have fun with it. I'm always hearing that we should "let people play their own way" and then I see negativism like this from someone who is respected in the caching community. I had thought better of you. <_<

People log coins they only saw at an event or they log their own coin or bug into and out of every cache they visit. Are they "sad" too? I don't do it but I've heard others say it's fine. It doesn't really affect me so why should I care?

Please just let folks have fun and don't be so judgemental.

Some might find using the "I'm incredibly cool" "author's book flyleaf" pose picture as their avatar sad. Different strokes for different folks. Why do you care what others do? Why do you feel the need to pass judgement on them? They didn't "ask" for the golden nut - it was presented to them. Does that make them pathetic? I think not.

The N.U.T.S. are a loose group of folks (a lot of folks) who just enjoy geocaching. Let people have fun with it. I'm always hearing that we should "let people play their own way" and then I see negativism like this from someone who is respected in the caching community. I had thought better of you. :blink:

People log coins they only saw at an event or they log their own coin or bug into and out of every cache they visit. Are they "sad" too? I don't do it but I've heard others say it's fine. It doesn't really affect me so why should I care?

Please just let folks have fun and don't be so judgemental.

Well said, Thrak!

In my short-lived geocaching career, I've come across many things that I don't embrace, such as the high find-count goal and collecting coins; and some things I don't understand, such as collecting "icons" and mob-logging of coins and TBs at events. But the one thing that I have learned: we each play the geocaching game in our own way with our own goals, and in doing so we cache together.

To stay moderately on topic with the OP, figure out what's important to you when geocaching in your own way, and mark the milestones visually in someway. I know, profound, isn't it.... <_<

Team Maccabee

P.S. -- we all have our own "oddities" when geocaching, especially me with my love of FTFs, puzzles, and micros.

Edit: to keep tangentially on topic

Edited by Team Maccabee

The marking of milestones is pretty common in our culture and I don't see anything wrong with it. Boy Scouts get patches when they reach certain goals. Bowlers get patches, rings and watches for knocking down a certain number of pins and many other hobbies and activities have their awards.

But in most of these pursuits, there are standards that eveyone must conform to in order to obtain their award. That really doesn't apply in geocaching because (these days) everyone is playing their own game. Joe Geocacher may have 1000 real finds, while Jane Cacher counts all of her DNFs as finds. Tom Cacher may have 2,000 tough caches under his belt, while Dave Cacher has found 1,000 parking lot micros and CCcacher sits at home and logs hundreds of armchair virtuals. This cheapens any awards that people may qualify for.

Still, bowlers who wear their 300 game patches on their sleeves are looked at with a level of derision by most of their fellow bowlers, so I can see why FizzyM sees the practice of wearing golden walnut awards as sad.

I personally don't see it as "sad", but I think its a bit silly, especially considering that what each person did to achieve it may vary widely. It's basically a worthless award so anyone who walks around with a golden walnut around his neck conjures images of tin horn dictators who appear in full military finery bedecked with medals that they awarded theirselves.

Edited by briansnat

hmm....

Hey Fuzz!! I think that he's got ya there! ;):):D No kidding, he really did got ya. :o:P

I see that people come down on two different sides of this issue. I can understand where there may be some people who like to "puff" up their numbers because for them it is about the numbers. You will run into people who feel that it is always about the numbers in just about every sport or hobby you go into. It can't be helped.

The biggest thing that I was looking for with this thread was to see if there was already a way set up to track finds on your hiking stick. My kids like stuff like that and I wanted to make sure I was following any protocol already set up. Since there is nothing set up, it means that I can use any method I want and the kids can have a little more fun and experience caching the way they want to.

Now on a less serious note.. ;) Sounds like someone is a little jealous of those 300 bowlers. You want a patch dont you? :o

[quote name=

I personally don't see it as "sad"' date=' but I think its a bit silly, especially considering that what each person did to achieve it may vary widely. It's basically a worthless award so anyone who walks around with a golden walnut around his neck conjures images of tin horn dictators who appear in full military finery bedecked with medals that they awarded theirselves. [/quote]

Perhaps we California N.U.T.S. are pathetic and perhaps not. My husband and I are a couple of the folks who founded the N.U.T.S. (Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers) group but were just recently awarded our Golden Nut. We have been caching for almost 3 years and we are not "all about the numbers" but like with most things in life, we do like to celebrate the milestones. Birthdays, anniversaries, and yes...geocaching finds.

We are working on the Delorma Challenge, California Counties, and we also want to find a cache in every state. For us, each and every cache find has been an adventure. Sometimes with friends, sometimes with extended family, sometimes just us and our children.

We live in a rural area where there was only one cache hidden in our town when we began geocaching. We have been all over Northern California, in places where we saw no other cars to find caches. I'm proud of our accomplishment in finding 1000. We do NOT award ourselves the Golden NUTS, they come from other members of the group who give them to us as a gesture of friendship and recognition of our dedication to this hobby/sport.

For those of you who think it is pathetic, stupid, or sad that's okay with me but I will wear my Golden NUT with pride knowing that my friends don't agree with you.

Gail (Escapades)

why not gators for the token..a gold or a silver one..or even hiking staff medallions with the numbers and club insignia on it.

and by the way i am a NUT....wahoo. i'm still new haven't earned my nut yet. and the NUTS have been a great group of people to meet.

debra

I think a cool award would be a small sapling for the finder to plant on his/her next hunt.

Give back to nature.

Or call it a do-it-yourself hiking staff kit... some assembly required. :)

Scott

Perhaps we California N.U.T.S. are pathetic and perhaps not. My husband and I are a couple of the folks who founded the N.U.T.S. (Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers) group but were just recently awarded our Golden Nut. We have been caching for almost 3 years and we are not "all about the numbers" but like with most things in life, we do like to celebrate the milestones. Birthdays, anniversaries, and yes...geocaching finds.

We are working on the Delorma Challenge, California Counties, and we also want to find a cache in every state. For us, each and every cache find has been an adventure. Sometimes with friends, sometimes with extended family, sometimes just us and our children.

We live in a rural area where there was only one cache hidden in our town when we began geocaching. We have been all over Northern California, in places where we saw no other cars to find caches. I'm proud of our accomplishment in finding 1000. We do NOT award ourselves the Golden NUTS, they come from other members of the group who give them to us as a gesture of friendship and recognition of our dedication to this hobby/sport.

For those of you who think it is pathetic, stupid, or sad that's okay with me but I will wear my Golden NUT with pride knowing that my friends don't agree with you.

Gail (Escapades)

Well said. Congratulations!

Mizdeeds

Saginaw, Michigan

My kids used their own money and purchased walking sticks. The stick are metal and apparently a popular brand. Either way, you really can't notch them so we are going to use beads on them. I have found some nice leather strips to tie to the top ans the are deciding on what colors they are going to use for what. My 8 year old daughter will be putting a blue bead on for her FTF and they are using white for each find, red for multi cache and yellow for letterbox. I'm going to have to put a few on mine or they will feel i'm not participating, but it should be fun. Think I will go with just a white one for each 10 I find and a green for every 50. I'll post a pic when I get the kids ones done.

Please do post a pic. Will keep this thread on topic. I really want to know the best way to record my finds.

:) Silly is good! My kids are silly and I love them! If you think about it, lots of things about geocaching are silly...trading McToys, spending 45 minutes looking for a film canister in the snow, driving 4 hours just to hike 2 miles down the lost coast in California, rolling down a hill through stickers, all the while keeping you eye out for the wild elk that you know are in the area so that you can sign you name on a piece of paper is silly. Yet, I love it all. I would rather do something silly every day if it means that I am getting joy out of life.

I almost forgot about hanging upside down by one foot over a ravine due to a mishap crossing a fallen tree and the time that I fell and landed on top of a rattlesnake and both times continued on to find that elusive piece of paper to sign and trade my little toys....all very silly.

Have a great day! From one silly, slightly pathetic, geocacher who is happy to be NUTS!

Gail (Escapades)

Edited by Escapades

I regret coming out so strongly. I guess I am reacting to all the chest-puffing over numbers I have seen. People with lots of finds expecting that they will be treated with deference at events, etc. I heard that the Geo-Woodstock events have been especially bad in that regard, but of course I wasn't there, so I can't know.

So I apologize for calling it "sad." I can't see into anybody's heart, so I shouldn't presume their motives. I just wish that cachers would find something else to take pride in other than their find count. For example, an award for finishing the Delorme challenge would be something I could get behind. That's a real achivement.

I like the bead idea. It wouldn't get as crowded on the ole hiking staff as when you started getting alot of ribbins or strings on it. ...So, what colors to use?  Red, blue,green, what? and what does each stand for?

I also think the bead idea would be cool. When I was in a summer camp one year we had different beads for different thing's we had done...kinda like patches but without the sewing.

I don't really like the coins as you can't display them, and I don't have or would ever use a hiking staff.

So I would really be into someone setting up a bead/necklace system that was wellknown and mainstream accepted.

9ce92ece-9199-4e23-bce7-d04fc8f2041f.jpg

Here is my daughters hiking stick with her beads on it. We sat down and decided that no particular color meant anything except we did designate RED as the FTF color. notice she has a red one.

I have some on my hiking stick. I am using blue for regular, yellow for multi-cache, Black for micro, and white for virtual and green for other, except I also used red for my FTF.

This is what we used and as you can see, she is very happy with her new beads.

What I like is that these have meaning for them. As you can see fro the photo, she only has five finds right now. Now for some these mean absolutly nothing and I surely wouldn't suggest putting 1000 beads on a walking stick, it would look like a sea anemonea, but you can use it however you like. She's happy to share her idea.

(fixed pic now viewable)

Edited by Davispak
I do the bead thing too and if the location is near a national park or landmark, I get one of those 'badges' that you can nail on to your hiking stick. I've covered two walking sticks so far. =BK

How do you use yours? A bead per cache or for every five? what color do you use? Thats what I was trying to find out what and how people mark milestones.