Logging Your Own Caches

Maxwell Q

There have been a couple of times that we have had to log a cache of our own. The reason being: we placed these caches with someone else, and as we all know, only one person will get credit for the cache. So to get it off our lists, we had to list it as a find. There may be another way to go about this, but if there is, I don't know how.

What about moving caches? Someone else rehides your cache in a completely different location and you have to look for it all over again.

Moving caches are a different animal, so an argument can be made logging your own moving caches. Personally I would never log my own cache under any circumstances, but I do see the difference between logging your own moving cache and your static caches.

There was a locationless cache, "Where's in a Name?", now archived. You could assist someone to find their "name" location, and someone else could assist you to find your "name" location. Two separate people, two separate tasks. It was permissible to log this cache twice, so I did. There may have been other locationless caches like this, but that's the only time I logged twice.

Sorry to dredge up an old post, but what if an individual that is part of a registered team makes the hide, can the remainder of the team go find it and log it as a find?

I'm in the process of changing from this acccount to a "family" account, and since we can't have account renamed anymore, I started a second one for the family, "TheBattons".

I've just hidden several by myself, and would like the rest of my family go find them. Should they log them, as they were no part of the hides. I log finds on the new account when it's only me, can't they do the same if I log the hides under this account?

Sorry if it's confusing [:laughing:]

I do not log my own caches. That is like saying "Hey, I found my car!". After you had parked it in your yard to begin with. I did log one cache that I adopted 3 months later. It did not belong to me at the time. Although when I look at my caches it looks kind of funny seeing "Mine" arrow and the found it check mark. I may delete. I have not decided.

No sense in deleting, you did, after all, find it legit. Better, note on a maintenance log when you adopted and that you verified on whatever date. Your find log stays, but those who would question are silenced.

IMHO, those who place a cache, then log the find for the sake of numbers are too anal about the count. I got into caching for the sake of excercise and adventure, not to break my arm patting myself over a tally.

I opted to just take my wife out and let her find them herself, secure in the knowledge that she just got 7 FTF's without any prior knowledge of the caches I placed. And no, we didn't log them as finds. Rather, I used her finding them as a litmus test to the hides themselves. It's interesting to watch someone hunt for something you've hidden....

Frustrated her to NO end tho as I stood back and just grinned when she'd look my way [:laughing:].

I'm uncomfortable with the idea of logging your own cache, even if it's a traveling / moved cache.

If you've seen a cache container and know what it looks like, that's a significant part of the puzzle that you've skipped, and you're not working in the same conditions as a regular seeker, unless there are actual photos of the cache container provided.

I haven't hidden any caches, so take this with a grain of salt, but I see it as one of the costs associated with hiding a cache, along with the container, the FTF prize, and the initial trade items.

I opted to just take my wife out and let her find them herself, secure in the knowledge that she just got 7 FTF's without any prior knowledge of the caches I placed. And no, we didn't log them as finds. Rather, I used her finding them as a litmus test to the hides themselves. It's interesting to watch someone hunt for something you've hidden....

Frustrated her to NO end tho as I stood back and just grinned when she'd look my way [:blink:].

I've hunted some of my sister's caches, where she plopped herself down on a rock, and waited while I looked. "Umm... This one is missing."

My caching partner is our QC department. "Here, now go find it." Andy Bear is quite a stickler for accurate coordinates! It usually takes three or four tries before he is satisfied with the coordinates. If the coordinates seem to bounce, then he requires a good hint. Such as this one:

8bed4174-dbb4-4c32-a462-d6b47ba6f7cf.jpg

Remember, this is supposed to be fun! Hee hee hee.

I would never log my own cache! I hid it. I should know where it is!

I ran across an account awhile back where the cacher had about 29 finds. So, being curious, I decided to see what caches they were... turns out he had only found 2 caches and one was his own cache. At least he did get the FTF on that one. Then again, this was over the course of several years that these two caches were being logged multiple times. My theory is that it is a short term memory thing. I can just imagine a guy that randomly runs into the GC.com page every couple of months and thinks "that's a cool idea - maybe I should try to find this cache closest to my house!" does the whole caching experience and gets home and logs it online and goes to bed. By morning he wakes up completely forgetting about the previous day (like Drew Barrymore in "50 First Dates")

Inevitabily a couple months later he is at his computer and finds the gc.com page and thinks "that's a cool idea - maybe I should try to find this cache closest to my house!"

Thanks for all the replies. I, myself think it is wrong to log my own, unless it is an Event or CITO, but since I have not orginized either, I can't claim any of my own. Well, take that back. I have 3 that I logged, but I did not own them at the time and I adopted them from cachers who are no longer around or just don't care to maintain their caches.

What about "giving permission" to your husband/wife to log a find on all your caches, even the ones that were archived before you even met her?

What does the OP think about that practice?

Edited by Mopar

:anicute: Do you log your own caches? Ok, I own GCR4MX. If you owned it, would you log it to bump your own numbers up? I say no, but I know of several people who have logged their own caches. I did a cache yesterday, and the owner logged it as soon as it was posted by the reviewer. Would you do that?

I personally wouldnt do it....and you have to ask yourself.....why do you need the numbers that bad...Perhaps you have some issues other than caching you need to deal with...

Thanks for all the replies. I, myself think it is wrong to log my own, unless it is an Event or CITO, but since I have not orginized either, I can't claim any of my own. Well, take that back. I have 3 that I logged, but I did not own them at the time and I adopted them from cachers who are no longer around or just don't care to maintain their caches.

What about "giving permission" to your husband/wife to log a find on all your caches, even the ones that were archived before you even met her?

:anicute:

I personally wouldnt do it....and you have to ask yourself.....why do you need the numbers that bad...Perhaps you have some issues other than caching you need to deal with...

My find count is like my age. It becomes silly to brag about it beyond a certain point. :P

A bush-trimmer muggle dislocated another cache of mine since I last posted in this thread in February. I found it in a more evil location, but I didn't log a find. Even without the find count, it's a good story at events and unevents. :anicute:

My wife has logged a number of my caches and I logged one of hers, so I don't see the issue. She wasn't there when I hid mine and I was not there when she hid hers.

What about "giving permission" to your husband/wife to log a find on all your caches, even the ones that were archived before you even met her? What does the OP think about that practice?

My wife has logged a number of my caches and I logged one of hers, so I don't see the issue. She wasn't there when I hid mine and I was not there when she hid hers.

If you had caches that you had archived before you had even met your wife, would you allow her to log finds on them because you showed her where the cache used to be? How can you "find" a cache that was removed a year ago?

To each his/her own. I don't log finds on my caches because I own them. The cache owner should have the right to manage logs the way they see fit and if they want to delete their own find log or leave it then that is their game.

Some people log more than one find when they do a return visit to a cache, I usually post a note saying I stopped by with someone.

I don't think there is a real right or wrong answer.

The real lame thing would be claiming the FTF on your own... :ph34r:

As for logging caches I may have helped hide but they are owned by someone else. Dang right I log it as a find. I just will wait a few days so the real go getters can have a shot at it.

I have also adopted a cache that I had already found. I kept the found log in that case but if I adopted a cache I had not found yet then I would treat it like one of mine from the beginning.

Edited by GeoBlank