Tree Caches

clearpath

I have a tree cache that recently got muggled. It seems whenever it rains very much (say over 2 inches) at one time, the knot hole where I have placed the cache fills up with water and pushes the cache out and onto the ground. Normally, muggles and some geocacher never know the cache is there because the knot hole is about 9 or 10 feel off the ground. Does anyone have a recommendation to fix my tree cache?

Also, what is your favorite tree cache?

I have found one that had a magnet glued into the hole to hold the micro in place. I have found one that was attached to a small nail/screw. I have found one that was attached to dark fishing line then slid inside the hollow in the tree. It varies you have to figure out a way with what you have.

You could drill a hole in the tree so the water drains out.

If it's your tree... or you have permission...

I like that idea ... only the tree is in a park that belongs to the city. Do you think they would mind a small hole drilled into one of many thousand trees?

If they won't let you drill a hole, then just drop a couple of termintes in the hole and let nature take it course.

:P I'm kidding.....I wouldn't wish termintes on anyone :P

I like that idea ... only the tree is in a park that belongs to the city. Do you think they would mind a small hole drilled into one of many thousand trees?

It would take a large hole as the hole would soon fill with dirt. An inverted bowl shaped screen in the bottom would help.

It would take a large hole as the hole would soon fill with dirt. An inverted bowl shaped screen in the bottom would help.

In case this turns out to be a contest that clearpath is running, I'd just like to point out that I thought of the screen idea first.

You just refined it.

:P

Sadly, we had two caches like that locally a while back. Jeremy archived them fast when he found out.

If you think about it ... the tree has been standing there for perhaps 100 years. Along comes clearpath and drills a freaking hole in the tree just so he can hide his tupperware. Now the beautiful tree has a drain hole and tupperware hidden in its knothole. Am I the only one that sees the Old Indian Chief standing nearby with a tear in his eye? :P

My favorite was one that was in a very wide tree that had a large hollow area. The opening of the hollow area started at ground level, and was about two feet high and maybe 2 or 2.5 feet wide. But it went up way higher into the tree. You had to stand with your back to the tree, scrunch down, back into the hole, stand up inside the tree in pitch darkness, reach up over your head (assuming you had room enough to move your arms), and fetch the cache from a peg that it hangs on. Very claustrophobic, and very fun.

Putting the cache back was a whole 'nother adventure :P

Just placed a "regular" sized cache approx 25' up a tree, hung from a branch. Basically it is a tube type container with a wire hanger attachment. The tube was camo taped to blend.

Here was the first log:

*begin quote*

"January 15 by CACHER (2172 found)

Drat, no way !!

To the ignore list it must go, sorry !!"

*end quote*

Good luck on yours. :P

Edited by Bill & Tammy

I had the exact problem with one of my caches; but it was the sprinkler system that filled up the knothole with water.

Sheesh...... just glue a reasonably heavy nut (as in nut and bolt) to the bottom of the film can. Problem solved.

I tried the heavy nut idea, but the film canister then filled with water. I also tried attaching the nut with a length of chain the depth of the hole, but the canister was too obvious when it bobbed to the top and also tended to get water logged.

The only solution that worked was making a sort of "French Drain" for the cache. The actual container with the log is a small cryotube (about an inch long) with a screw cap. Then I punched small holes in the bottom of a film canister, inserted the cache tube, and filled the canister with small pebbles to weigh it down. Now it stays weighed down in the knot, and the water drains out through the holes in the bottom.

The only solution that worked was making a sort of "French Drain" for the cache...

There are those of us who call it a Freedom Drain. :)

There's a local cache that's an elaborate tree hide. The cache is a large section of PVC drain pipe done up in forest camo. It hangs, via a clever arrangement of para-cord and pulleys, from a tree branch about 15 feet off the ground. You have to find the end of the cord and lower the cache. Nothing that hasn't been done before, but the craftsmanship is so good that even a jaded, seen-it-all cacher can't help but be impressed.

I've been thinking again about the 'drilling a drain hole in the knothole of the tree' ... is it possible that drilling a drain hole could be beneficial to the tree. The primordial soup that collects in the knothole could fester into something that could kill the tree. Just thinking out loud ... Any treeologist out there?

I've been thinking again about the 'drilling a drain hole in the knothole of the tree' ... is it possible that drilling a drain hole could be beneficial to the tree. The primordial soup that collects in the knothole could fester into something that could kill the tree. Just thinking out loud ... Any treeologist out there?

A tree can survive with its whole inside rotten as that is not living. The layer between bark and core is the living part and drilling a hole into this part could cause introduction of fungi or insects. While I dont condone the hooks or nails they would seal there own hole. You can sterilize any nail with gas line antifreeze or bleach.

Beware of rope around any tree as the tree needs room to grow. Tightly tied rope could cut into that living layer and strangel the tree as it grows.

I would like to suggest a bulking material like neoprene or such around the container that would allow a tight fit and keep out some moisture.

I have a tree cache that recently got muggled. It seems whenever it rains very much (say over 2 inches) at one time, the knot hole where I have placed the cache fills up with water and pushes the cache out and onto the ground. Normally, muggles and some geocacher never know the cache is there because the knot hole is about 9 or 10 feel off the ground. Does anyone have a recommendation to fix my tree cache?

Lots of tall cache hunters in your neck of the woods are there? :)

I have done several "evil monkey" caches. They all require the cacher to climb up 10 -15 feet in the tree to retrieve the micro cache container.

Some of these have used fishing line tied around a nearby branch to secure the cache if it should be ejected from the knot hole.

I have done several "evil monkey" caches. They all require the cacher to climb up 10 -15 feet in the tree to retrieve the micro cache container.

Some of these have used fishing line tied around a nearby branch to secure the cache if it should be ejected from the knot hole.

I would hope that the hider mentions that in their description. :)

I would hope that the hider mentions that in their description. :)

There's no need to mention it in the description, as long as the terrain and difficulty ratings are appropriate.

edited to add 'difficulty'. I didn't notice that the cache in question was a micro. Ooops.

Edited by sbell111

Putting a micro 10' up a tree is SOOOO WRONG on so may levels :)

I had one (sadly, it disappeared when the tree was bulldozed) that many people thought was great.

It was "Keebler" tree with a hollow core and a large opening at ground level. The cache was a decon container attached to a stout 18-inch piece of camo'ed wire. The wire held the cache UP inside the hollow tree, and the wire was almost invisible even upon close examination of the hole. To retrieve, you simply lifted the wire slightly and pulled it out. To replace, shove the decon box up and sit the end of the wire against the side of the hole.

Recommend taking a large piece of VELCRO and a staple gun to the target, staple a large piece inside the hole and strongly secure the other piece to your cache . . . it always works if the staples are long enough & the cache is secured well enough.

FAVORITE TREE cache was actually a stump cache . . . it was sawn off about 1/2 way up (8"), very neatly, must have been a fine tooth saw. The bottom half was hollowed, & pins (large nails) were placed to secure the top half when it was returned. It held a large cache and was so well disguised that when the coords stood you right over it, you saw nothing. I spotted it from a distance when the saw line was slightly exposed.

Edited by GRANPA ALEX

What are the appropriate difficulty ratings for caches hidden up in trees where climbing the tree is required? Would you recommend increasing the rating the higher you have to climb? I mean, suppose you were willing to climb 15' up a tree but anything higher was too much? Wouldn't it be helpful to tell hunters in advance or would it be better for them to have to spend time and effort getting to the location just to find that after climbing up 15 or 20 feet that the cache was still higher? Yeah, I can definitely see where prospective hunters ought to know via the cache's description just what they might be getting into. :grin:

Edited by Team Cotati
I have a tree cache that recently got muggled. It seems whenever it rains very much (say over 2 inches) at one time, the knot hole where I have placed the cache fills up with water and pushes the cache out and onto the ground.

Does anyone have a recommendation to fix my tree cache?

Hmmm, find a new tree? That exact same thing happened recently to a local cacher. Cache was bobbing in the hidey hole for all to see. They ended up moving the cache, because (like yours) the tree belonged to the city and it was too much hassle to do the environmental impact study and obtain the permits required to drill a drain hole.

If you do still use the same hole & weigh the cache down as some suggested, please use a waterproof container (film can's aren't waterproof, BTW). Orange match container might be good since you can't see it anyway.

As an FYI, I had the same situation with a tree in my backyard. I drilled a hole to let the water out to prevent rot, and the tree is still thanking me with apples every year.

It seems to me the problem is the water getting in so STOP IT!

Take the woodpecker idea and grab a piece of wood from another source and cover the hole the best you can which should deflect most of the water.

Or just tie an umbrella to the tree 3 feet above the cache - I'm sure noone would notice

Edited by walking woody
We've been thinking of making a tree cache with a hidden pulley system to make it seem harder to get at than it really is. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Yep, unfortunately, if the pulley is too well-hidden, someone will find a way to get at the cache anyway, possibly involving breaking the string and then leaving the cache on the ground... :laughing:

You don't need a pulley at all, just flip the line over a limb and it will work w/o your being flamed by the huggers.

Had one one time (not mine) where someone found a tree with lots of vines in a darkened underbrush area . . . they found what looked like green parachute cording that matched the vines - it was a killer to see, it would disappear afte you caught it in a glance. The small cache was some thirty feet up the tree, way beyond where one would look. A GREAT hide idea!