Very Odd Cache Listing

JDandDD

A very odd cache listing has shown up in our area. Odd Web Page

Not only does the cacher have no finds but:

1. The cache name says djjaques and earlier today when you clicked on profile that was the name you got. Now when you click on the profile it brings up the profile AYJACKSCON (5).

2. The status says: Not validated member.

3. There are already notes on the cache and in this forum from legit cachers who are concerned about this one.

A couple of questions are raised by this:

a. Is this a legitimate cache or could we be running into some trouble here? How can we find out anything from geocaching on why it was seen as OK?

b. Why would an not validated member be able to hide a cache?

Maybe its just a sock puppet but it sure raises concerns when you see something like this.

JDandDD

Ok, I just saw that some very seasoned cachers found the cache so that eliminates one concern.

However, the question about how and not validated account can submit is still of interest. As well, shouldn't there be some rule about have to have done a few before putting out their first?

JDandDD

What exactly are the concerns here? I've looked at the cache page and do not see anything that would indicate we are "running into some trouble here".

Yes it is recommended that new cachers get a bunch of finds under their belt before hiding their own but it is certainly not a rule.

Olar

I wouldn't be concerned about the listing if the approver isn't. Maybe the hider has found caches as part of a group account, or with a friend, & they finally decided to get their own account. They may not have entered their account activation code yet, or it may be slow to process because it is the weekend. One can't just jump to conclusions.

The cache has been found and nothing negative was reported in the log. I don't think I'd get my knickers in a twist over this.

-Donna G

There is also this Cache very close to the topic starting cache. This is also a cacher with no finds.

Not to far away there is a Third cache. This cacher has 5 finds and 1 hide over a year but is a premium member.

Could this be someone from the Simcoe County Trail Networks. They are placing caches all over the county and have a volunteer.

Star2004

What exactly are the concerns here? I've looked at the cache page and do not see anything that would indicate we are "running into some trouble here".

There was nothing about the cache page itself that was a concern. But I wasn't alone in thinking this was odd, especially when the profile name was changed on the same day the profile was published. Note also that the cache was put out Jan 2, 2006 but not approved until Jan. 15. So there was some concern but know way of finding out what it was. Just raised my suspicions.

I guess I didn't really get my points across. On forums there was recently a report of someone who appears to be faking caching, with cache finds in Alabama, Alaska, and Afghanistan on the same day.

What I am getting at is when we have concerns, how can we go about checking them out? Is there a mechanism to ask a question? Those features seem to be missing and maybe there should be a way to ask a question about the reliability of a cache or a log and know you can get an answer quickly.

The odds are that eventually point someone is going to be lured to a cache that is set out to hurt people rather than as part of the sport. My background in forensics working with psychopaths says eventually one of them will catch on to this sport and do something. Before that happens, perhaps there should be a way to get information quickly when you are concerned. This is the first time I've had a concern of any sort so thought this was the time to raise the issue.

And no I'm not over-reacting. When you've worked with these types of people you learn that they can be counted on to find ways to hurt and harm people you would never have thought of. And it would surprise me if they don't with this sport. Wish I could share some of the exploits, they are truly amazing and you would not believe what they have done, but confidentiality says I can't.

JDandDD

I have only done this for a few months now (AND LOVE IT) and I don't have that many caches completed compared to so many other seasoned geocachers I see here but....

The cache in question made me wait to see what other people found there, particularly since I geocache with kids in tow quite often.

I hate to say it but when a cache looks suspicious like that, it really takes the fun out of it. There was another geocache in our region (30 minutes from the cache in question) where I was about to get out of my car with my two year old and thankfully saw the man hiding in the bushes where the geocache was located. When I went back with my friend the next day (large male friend - he likes it when I call him that) there were no footprints in the snow to the geocache, he really was just a man hiding in the bushes...who knows what he was up to...

It would be great if everyone could make an attempt to be apparent about what they are doing when they post geocaches. I don't know who it is who posted the geocache being discussed, but I think it is reasonable to expect some transparency to this system. It would also be the responsible thing to do. I don't mean criticism or harm..I just really like this activity and would like it to remain safe and fun!

N of the CowTippinIdiots!

The odds are that eventually point someone is going to be lured to a cache that is set out to hurt people rather than as part of the sport. My background in forensics working with psychopaths says eventually one of them will catch on to this sport and do something.

Hey great! Public forums are always great places to put ideas into someones head.

:P:P

Ther propensity is always there, I guess, but don't I have a greater chance at getting hit by a car?

However, safeguards are always a good thing. Perhaps you should contact cache-tech (the approver) and discuss your concerns. Chatting it up with people who have NO idea about it does no good at all.

Oh, and yes I have had my share of wierd situations in which I just said "Nope, not doing that one." Go with your gut I say.

EDITED: bad spelling

Edited by mrking
However, safeguards are always a good thing. Perhaps you should contact cache-tech (the approver) and discuss your concerns. Chatting it up with people who have NO idea about it does no good at all.

Oh, and yes I have had my share of wierd situations in which I just said "Nope, not doing that one." Go with your gut I say.

Actually, my point started out not to put ideas in peoples' heads but to ask how can we report concerns in the best manner. You've given one answer in cache-tech but perhaps there are others to provide safeguards.

My point on mentioning the people I deal with is not to scare people as much to alert folks that there are bad people out there and don't assume they aren't in this sport as well. So I think it does serve a purpose.

So, I was hoping we'd come up with ideas about how to provide safeguards before we need them not after when its too late for some one.

Yep, I agree, go with your gut feelings but we might help with those gut feelings if there was somewhere on the site to talk about cache concerns.

JDandDD

Edited by JDandDD

As noted with the publish log, I reviewed and listed this cache. I ask questions before listing any cache with a 0/0 hider from a new account. When listed the account was valid as I see it is again. They did state they have found several caches, they have not logged any finds online as you can see from their account. As anyone who knows me, I often cache with my family and am just as concerned as you are for the safety of any geocacher searching for a cache. It would most likely easier for someone to visit an established cache for the purpose of making a cache a trap, then hiding and listing a new one. Most don't have the patience to go through the process and there are a number of caches that I ask questions where the cacher never answers or even log back in, therefore their cache is not listed.

As far as safeguards, you can always email the reviewer who listed it, this information is now available on the cache page which is new, unless the cache owner deletes the published log. After that, you can always email geocaching.com through the contact address or myself directly, I don't see anything else that can be done without implementing more guidelines or rules. If you don't feel safe searching for the cache, then don't, in the end it is up to you to determine if the cache is safe or not. I try to ensure this when reviewing the cache, but not logging cache finds online is no reason to not allow listing their cache.

Edited by Cache-tech
As noted with the publish log, I reviewed and listed this cache.  I ask questions before listing any cache with a 0/0 hider from a new account.  When listed the account was valid as I see it is again.  They did state they have found several caches, they have not logged any finds online as you can see from their account.  As anyone who knows me, I often cache with my family and am just as concerned as you are for the safety of any geocacher searching for a cache.  It would most likely easier for someone to visit an established cache for the purpose of making a cache a trap, then hiding and listing a new one.  Most don't have the patience to go through the process and there are a number of caches that I ask questions where the cacher never answers or even log back in, therefore their cache is not listed.

As far as safeguards, you can always email the reviewer who listed it, this information is now available on the cache page which is new, unless the cache owner deletes the published log.  After that, you can always email geocaching.com through the contact address or myself directly, I don't see anything else that can be done without implementing more guidelines or rules.  If you don't feel safe searching for the cache, then don't, in the end it is up to you to determine if the cache is safe or not.  I try to ensure this when reviewing the cache, but not logging cache finds online is no reason to not allow listing their cache.

Cache-tech, not questioning you at all, in fact I admire the work you do on a volunteer basis. We all should be grateful that you put in the time you do.

I probably should have written to you first but I wanted to ask if that was appropriate or if there were other mechanisms I didn't know about. I wasn't sure whether there was already a particular way to go about these things, you reviewers must be busy enough as it is.

Your answer is very reassuring about the integrity and safety of the sport and I thank you for that. Knowing the process is very helpful. In the future I will contact you directly and now others know we can too.

Thanks

JDandDD

...you can always email geocaching.com through the contact address...
What address is that?

The contact info can be found at the "Contact Us" link at the left of the geocaching.com pages

http://www.geocaching.com/contact/

The contact address is contact at Groundspeak dot com

There is also this page

http://Groundspeak.trakhelp.com/bin/request.py

I usually check the forums daily and you can email me through my profile any time as I am sure you can with any of the reviewers.

Cache-tech, not questioning you at all, in fact I admire the work you do on a volunteer basis. We all should be grateful that you put in the time you do.

I probably should have written to you first but I wanted to ask if that was appropriate or if there were other mechanisms I didn't know about. I wasn't sure whether there was already a particular way to go about these things, you reviewers must be busy enough as it is.

Your answer is very reassuring about the integrity and safety of the sport and I thank you for that. Knowing the process is very helpful. In the future I will contact you directly and now others know we can too.

Thanks

JDandDD

No problem, I don't mind email or here in the forum. I never took it as questioning myself or any reviewer, just wanted to try to answer your concerns as I have the same concerns myself.

Happy Geocaching and maybe see you on the trails :)

Could this be someone from the Simcoe County Trail Networks.  They are placing caches all over the county and have a volunteer.

There are a number of people in that group that are being introduced to Geocaching. The group logs finds under the user name "Simcoecountytrails". These new caches could easily be by members of this group starting out on their own.

I was suprised to see that there is a forum topic on this cache, and also glad that I was not the only one who found it a little off.

A friend of mine who is new to GCing was opting to be FTF on this one. I told him it looked weird, and joked that he should check the handle for hypodermic needles or the back for wires coming out of it (He took it as a joke, no worries).

Glad it seems there was nothing to worry about, but still it does seem to be an odd posting. Cheers to Cache-Tech for the wonderful job he does!

I went to the cache, turns out their personal info is located inside the cache (as opposed to the user description). Turns out the cachers are a group of friends who have just moved to the area. I take it that the user name is refering to the entire group of them, one of which may be a geocacher

Nice to know Juicepig. My profession makes me very suspicious of things that look odd, so I change what I said. I probably do over-react for that reason.

From what I've read, we can count on Cache-tech to do the checks. That works for me and I should have known that.

JDandDD