Cache In The Front Yard

4DWUDS

Well, the search isn't working right now, so wouldn't have done you much good. :P

Feel free to browse that thread, which will be much quicker than waiting for others to reply. If you feel that thread provides enough information for you, or if you'd like to add your own reply to it, you may close this one. There is a menu at the bottom left of the page where you can close it out.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Welcome 4d!

I think it goes like any other cache for me. Is it a cool location? Is it going to bother anyone else (your neighbors in this case)?

We've done a number of these, and for the most part I don't like them, I don't feel comfortable snooping around near people's homes. We've stopped doing them for this reason. One was interesting, but it was remote and therefore wasn't as concerning for neighbors.

I would love to be able to watch people, but I'm pretty sure my neighbors wouldn't! Just me though.

I think if you give a few details about the hide then it can be fun. One way might be by giving a hint as to what they might see when they arrive to the area. For instance,,,, We have one leg of a puzzle/multi cache in our front yard. I let people know in the cache description that they need to look for a "sign" when they think they have arrived to the area and that they will defintely know it when they see it. This sign is what confirms that they are in the right place.

Now, i have seen some caches where the owner states that its ok to go onto the private property to seek the cache. I can see this leading to trouble. :laughing: Say for instance, the unsuspecting cacher inputs a wrong coordinate into their GPSr. They arrive at the wrong location then begin their search and are confronted by an irate property owner. It's something that i can see happening rather easily. <_<

For me the main thing is to make sure that a cacher has a way of knowing when he/she has made it to the right area to begin their search. And be sure that any neighbors you have are made aware of whats going on as well!

I did 2 of these recently. one was great and well done. There was no mistaking you were on the right property. The other was a great hide, but it was hard to tell which side of a fence you were surposed to be on. This came close to causing problems. Simple statments on the cache page can make this clear. ex: IN the vacant lot, DON"T climb fences, appoch from the north only,ect, ect. Good luck!

I live in a lake community, and there are islands on the lake where I have placed a cache, I enjoy sitting on the beach and watching people head out form the opposite shore to go after my cache. I have even been known to join the odd cacher on their search because good comedy is hard to find. I really like having the cache only .4 miles from home, just the right ammount of buffer.

I also have a cache in a park that is in the industrial park where I work, this one is about .1 miles from my desk. I have never seen anyone go after it, but yes people have done it wile I was at work. I guess I should look out the window more often.

We have a number of caches like that in the area. I'm not a big fan. I don't really feel comfortable wandering around someone's yard. If I try to find one, I'll generally just look from the car. If I see it, I'll go log it. Otherwise, I'll blow it off and go find one that I enjoy.

This is one of the few scenarios where I will generally not post online if I don't find it. My DNF would only state that I blew off the cache because I didn't like it.

Edited by sbell111

The Brattle Bug Retreat is a cache in the owner's yard that's near me. The owner even painted a sign with Signal the Frog on it and hung it in the front yard. I think that almost half the cachers who've visited have met Iceburger. I think that's one of the reasons why he put the cache in his own yard. Also, since it's a bug hotel, it allows him to keep the bugs moving through.

That being said, I've visited twice and have to agree with a repeated sentiment. I just wasn't comfortable hunting around in someone's yard for a cache, even when I knew I'd been practically invited in.

How many here remember the Magellan treasure hunt maybe 3 years ago where the coordinates led to some guy's garage? He was incredibly irate after several people came storming up his remote driveway..... and those coordinates were posted by a professional company. I don't remember how it was resolved. I think it was in Pennsylvania?

Mistakes can easily happen when transferring data from the GPSr to the computer screen, which can then put the FTF way off the track, possibly incurring the ire of an unsuspecting landowner. Use caution, please.

I always welcome the opportunity to meet other cachers and a cache near their home is a great way to do it. I am more comfortable when they reference that it's at their home so I know I don't have the wrong coords in the gps. You may want to also indicate a time frame to search or times when not to search for the cache.

Two words: Neighborhood Watch.

No matter if you agree, or even if your neighbor agrees. Somewhere on the block there's a little old lady looking out through her chintz curtains with a phone in her hand...

...and somebody else is going to have the thrill of explaining geocaching to an officer of the law.

Two words: Neighborhood Watch.

No matter if you agree, or even if your neighbor agrees. Somewhere on the block there's a little old lady looking out through her chintz curtains with a phone in her hand...

...and somebody else is going to have the thrill of explaining geocaching to an officer of the law.

yup. I got a phone call from a deputy when one of my caches was seen being logged by a neighbor of the cemetery. Now the deputy is a cacher!!

I also have a cache in the advertiser box in front of the house. We live in the country. If there is someone in front of our house, they are a cacher!

I don't think I'd do it. First, I live in a neighborhood, not really a up tight neighborhood, we're pretty laid back. But I do have a cop that live's a couple houses down, who is on the SWAT team, and get's a little edgy when people that don't live on the street come driving around. Don't get me wrong, he is a very nice gay, and nice to have around looking over us. But if he saw someone snooping around our house during the day, it could get ugly!!!

... and then it would get ugly for him. :)

Its great that neighbors are looking out for each other, but enough is enough. Should I make sure that I am home when the meter reader comes? Obviously not. Its perfectly legal for him to come and do his business, just like it s perfectly legal for you to invite your friends to your house whether or not you are home. Well, that's all a cache in the front yard would be, isn't it?

If you have a really nosy neighbor or a SWAT member with an itchy finger, let them in on it. If they don't like it, too bad.

If you have a really nosy neighbor or a SWAT member with an itchy finger, let them in on it. If they don't like it, too bad.

True......

If the SWAT cop doesnt' scare them off. Then all the gazillion kids around are going to bug the crap out of the cacher with "what are you doing", "what is that", etc...... :)

Which would be worse?

Don't get me wrong, he is a very nice gay, and nice to have around looking over us.  But if he saw someone snooping around our house during the day, it could get ugly!!!

I'm certain you meant the word guy here.

To stay on topic - when I approach the cache area and see that it's in someone's front yard 9 times out of 10 I'll keep on going. The one time I would stop would be if it has a travel bug in it and I want to get that travel bug.

Edit: Fix quoting.

Edited by ZackJones

When we first started we wanted a way to meet the names we had seen on caches so we put one just off our property. We are on a corner lot so no meighbors are close and to make sure that they know we are a geocaching house, we put a decal in the window to let them know its okay to look. We don't even mind if they ring the door bell and ask if we can give them a hint. Its been a year and 1/2 now and we still enjoy meeting new cachers and so far have heard nothing but good.

there's a cache near me that has been up and running for a year and a half. as you can see, lots of houses around so stealth is required.

87649185_cc61971813_m.jpg

i thought it was a nice hide. the hider just put notes on the cache page to park on the street and "ITS NOT IN THE FLOWER GARDEN" so people won't tear up their flower garden. i guess he meets a lot of cachers that way too. could be fun!

One of my most difficult caches is in my front yard. I get a lot of favorable comments about it, and have never had a problem with my neighbors. I also include in the cache description a statement suggesting that if they need more help they might want to ring the doorbell and ask for help. The doorbell gets rung a lot. <_<

funny this shoulkd come up...we just introduced a friend to geocaching (went out and bought GPS same day)and he instantly came up with an idea

My backyard is huge and we have a firepit etc and commonly do bonfires/BBQ/beer on Sunday afternoons. He thought a Sunday afternoon only cache in my back yard would be great. With an added info "BYOB"

would be fun but would kinda mean I would "have" to be there every Sunday

I've done several front-yard caches, and each one has felt different. One cache was an ammo can about 12 feet from someone's front door. I hadn't read the cache page (I left quickly, on my way to the next one), but their intent was to meet new cachers (new in the sense that they hadn't met them).

For me, it depends on how close you get to the property owners. The 12 footer is about the closest I've come. Fake bird houses next to the street are fairly innocuous, but going through someone's gardens... I take it on a case by case basis.

I've only had one "bad" experience. As my friend and I were driving away, we noticed that the two little girls that had been watching us had been coralled by their mother, who was staring at us as we drove by, hockey stick in one hand and phone in the other. Nothing came of it.

Now, here's one more thing to think about. As much as people don't like to admit it, there are cache pirates that operate in the world, and it is possible for them to strike anywhere. Would you like them striking in your front yard? We've had that happen down here in FW, and some veiled threats have come up in the process. I know of at least one front yarder that has been archived in the last month due to that reason.

Again, lots of words, but the answer for me: Case by case.

I just did a series recently and the next-to-last in the series -- the one where you get the coordinates for the final cache -- is hanging in a manzanita bush in the cache owner's front yard. It's pretty hard to get it without having your picture taken by his wife. :anibad: When I did it she came out and took my picture and we had a nice talk. It was nice to meet a fellow cacher and she said that the neighbors had been alerted to the cache so they wouldn't freak out if people came to look for it.

I had problems enough with a trust estate in which the owner still has rights to live on the property until her death.

As I was hiking on the land, I was challenged by her. Even though the county officer said that he would explain to the woman that hiking on the property was legal, (I didn't tell him that I had caches on it) I removed both and told the officer that I would not enter the park again as long as the crazy woman was living there!