Preventing Virtual Coin Drops At Events

Hula Bum

I've been thinking about this, and it seems to me that the answer lies in the community.

See, if folks who think this whole 'swap lists of coin numbers without ever seeing the coin' make it know politely that they think the whole thing is silly, maybe the folks doing it will get the message.

But all the legislation in the world ain't gonna stop it if people think it's cool to do so.

Make it uncool.

Play the game how you like, log if you want, log if you don't. If you are interested in numbers than cool, if not then cool. If its a way to spend time with your family or get exercise than cooler yet!

Do it how you want to just have fun.

Dan

I don't disagree with this - I just don't want the way others do it to affect me <_<

I had a thought on this. Bottom line Geocaching is a large community of people. And like the neighborhood I live in, I may like what one neighbor does for landscaping but maybe not anothers. If a neighbors tree drops leaves in my yard I don't tell him to cut it down. I rake them and not complain. I like the shade it gives and overall the neighborhood looks better with trees.

The analogy to caching is if someones way of caching bothers me. I deal with it and move on because overall, the community is still great even with all its quirks.

I brought my humble collection to the event because thats why I have them. For myself and others to see and appreciate the art of coins. I'm not going to leave them at home just because a few people have had their fill. I was approached by many who wanted to see them, and if they did I gave them a printed paper with the numbers so they didn't have to squint at those tiny tracking numbers trying to copy it down.

My email has a filter set up called Coin Spam that is working like a champ. Although I will change my sheet to give instructions to not drop into the Event listing. If folks know to grab from one another theres a chunk of the event organizers spam gone away right? Seems like an easy fix for now is when an organizer writes it up, be sure to add you would appreciate coins not be dropped, but done through one another.

If that helps lighten the load great, better than attempting to lay down rules and regulations on other folks fun.

I'm not a huge fan of number swapping in general either. If a see a neat new coin at an event, I might write down the number, and I *might* log it some time later, but I'm not about to go logging every coin/TB I see (for starters it would take too long).

I don't think locking the event page to TB/Coin drops would be overly helpful in preventing this activity though. People would just do 'grabs' from each other instead.

My method of attack is to go for the part of the activity that bugs me the most. Basically I tell everyone to delete their 'bug drop' logs after they make them. Keeps the cache page nice and clean (and if they don't generally I delete the 'bug drop' log for them).

Other than that, I might, if it really bugged me put a note on the event cache page that it bugs you when this kind of thing hapens, and you'd prefer that only 'legitimate' bug exchanges get logged.

I don't think locking the event page to TB/Coin drops would be overly helpful in preventing this activity though. People would just do 'grabs' from each other instead.

That would be fine - it wouldn't trigger emails to the event owner.

Kealia and Hula Bum, I'm looking forward to your next event!

Here are my suggestions:

- Post a note on the event page asking people not to drop coins that are in collections into the event.

- You know most of the people who bring the large collections...email them and ask two things of them.

1) Please don't drop the coins into the event.

2) When they let people look through the collections, ask them to ask people NOT to drop the coins into the event. Have them ask the people who are looking through the books to just hold them until they are grabbed away from them.

Granted this is only a workaround type solution, but if it cuts down on some of the annoying emails, it should help. I assume that we can still log in the TBs and coins that we are physically dropping?