A Real Newbie Coin Question

TeamVilla5

Okay, so I was FTF on two caches by the same hider on the same day, 3 days ago... not knowing anything about the "etiquette" of Geocoins, I ended up leaving one of the 2 Geocoins for another finder... now that I know I could trade, I'm coin-sidering :P going back and taking the second one since there have been no other comers in 3 days... any advice? TIA!

Happy Cachin'!

Lori V.

TeamVilla5

I would say, don't be greedy and share the wealth. :P I think leaving one of the two is the appropriate thing to do. Or, if it is a coin you want for your collection, you could bring a coin of your own to swap for it.

If I am out on a run for a bunch of new caches, and nab all the FTFs, I don't think I would grab all the FTF prizes as well (unless they were each unique, and I had suitable trades for them).

--Marky

That's true. In this case, if it were me, I would make sure that I traded well for the second coin even if it was a FTF prize, so there was something good for the next finder. This, however, is not necessary if both coins were FTF prizes and not regular swag.

I know that if I hid, let's say, five caches and put in five FTF prizes I don't think I would be happy if one cacher came along and took them all. Try to look at it from the perspective of the hider. If you hid a bunch of caches with FTF prizes, would it bother you if one cacher came along and took them all? If not, then I think you are being true to yourself and shouldn't feel bad about taking both. You've already hidden a good number of caches, so probably already know how you feel about it. I just do what feels right to me, and wouldn't judge you one way or the other. Having 40 finds and already 10 hids, you have the cache karma scales tipped in your favor already, I say. :P

Hey, be nice to the newbie! :unsure:

It looks like both the caches were place by 9KEY. Maybe they can weigh in on this, or you can email them asking for their opinion. Just a thought.

Hmmph, I thought I was being nice. :P I was just offering my honest opinion. I wasn't trying to tell them they had to follow it. :P

--Marky

Having 40 finds and already 10 hids, you have the cache karma scales tipped in your favor already, I say. 

Why, thank you! :P

Yes, 9Key placed both & I did, in fact, email him asking his advice. He hasn't had a chance to respond... he's a very busy man in these parts! So, I thought I'd ask the next best source... youse guys! :unsure:

Happy Caching!

Lori V.

TeamVilla5

Thanks for all the advice... went & snagged the other coin tonight before dinner...

Cache Hound... go to eBay & search "Geocoin." They are coins (most are large, at least 1.5+ inches) minted by cachers to represent either their caching region, state, organization, personal coin, etc. HTH, even from another newbie! :P

Happy Cachin'!

Lori V.

TeamVilla5

A FTF prize is a prize for the FTF'er.  No guilt should be associated for claiming any and all FTF prizes you've earned.  My understanding is that they are not necessarily an item that needs to be traded evenly for (certainly not the one's I've placed).  Not much of a "prize" if you have to leave something of equal value now, is it?

Ditto that.

I would add that to me, a FTF prize is just that, a prize, and it is not nec. to trade at all for it. Always nice to add something, but not expected for the FTF prize. IMHO.

Edit-as for being multiple FTF, I wouldn't feel guilty, you were the FTF on both, enjoy.

Edited by Hula Bum
I would say, don't be greedy and share the wealth. :blink: I think leaving one of the two is the appropriate thing to do. Or, if it is a coin you want for your collection, you could bring a coin of your own to swap for it.

If I am out on a run for a bunch of new caches, and nab all the FTFs, I don't think I would grab all the FTF prizes as well (unless they were each unique, and I had suitable trades for them).

--Marky

I usually feel like a greedy guy. But I am with Marky. I wouldn't take both, but no rules about it.

On the otherhand if they were my first, I might think Ahh trading fodder.

:tired: