Iowa Geocaching

K0BKL

Hey Iowanians :grin:

The kids and I got hooked on this in Dec. around Christmas. ;) We set our first cache on the Jan 15 in Red Rock Lake area and planning on more to come. It's great way to get out in nature with the kids. Hope to see some fellow geocachers out there. If you see a man with a blue backpack chasing a 7yr old girl and 4 yr old twin boys around the woods say Hi. :lol:

I would like to see more posting here too about activities.

Here is one fun activity around Lake Red Rock on Feb. 11th. I now it has nothing to do with geocaching but there are alot of caches around Horn’s Ferry Bridge and you could stop and see the Bald Eagles too.

See you on the trail

Farret :lol:

Feb. 11

Bald Eagle Day

Pella Community Center, 712 Union Street, Pella. 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Celebrate the comeback of our national symbol! Everyone is invited to the 18th annual “Bald Eagle Day” at Lake Red Rock. Start off at the Pella Community Center with live bald eagle & raptor shows presented by the Minnesota Raptor Center at 10 a.m., 11 a.m., 12 p.m., & 1 p.m. Then head outside to watch eagles feeding & flying along the river below the Red Rock Dam! Staff & volunteers will be on hand with spotting scopes at the Horn’s Ferry Bridge from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. to help you view eagles & answer your questions. For more information, call 628-8690.

Thanks for the plug k0bkl. The Iowa Geocachers Org has lots of events planned for this year. This page shows listed events in Iowa and the surrounding states.

There are two large events coming up that folks from outside the state might be interested in:

Cache Bash 2006 - Dare To Go...

April 22, 2006 - Jester Park (in central Iowa, near Saylorville Reservior)

This event is being held in cooperation with Great Plains Geocaching and the Polk County Conservation Board to mark the CCB's 50th anniversary.

Ingawanis Geocache Outing

Memorial Day weekend (May 27-28, 2006) - (north of Waterloo, IA)

This event is two full days of activities held at the Boy Scout's Camp Ingawanis (north of Waterloo, IA). In addition to two days of geocaching stuff, there will be other "camp" activities like archery and horse back riding. See the link off of the cache page for the full schedule of activities. Tent camping is included in the $5/adult registration cost! Where else can you camp for three nights over Memorial Day weekend for only $5?

I hope to see some of you at an IGO event this summer!