Utility Poles Rules In Canada

TheBadger

I am sure this question has been asked, but until the search isn’t back up....

I like mundane articles that you see in your normal everyday life that is disguised out in the open/ for example , a power outlet box that is attached to a utility pole, making it appear to be part of the pole, when in fact it doesn't even have any wires going to it.

What rules apply to Nova Scotia Power Poles, or any utility pole? Can I add a small power box to a utility pole? Will GeoCaching.com pass my micro cache? I am sure that if I asked the power company, they would say no. But I see lots of advertisements on poles and they don’t seem to care.

It's my understanding that utility poles are private property (hydro company, municipality usually owns them) and that the normal Groundspeak/Geocaching.com rules for placing a cache on private property would apply - as in 'get permission'.

You would also want to be darn sure that nobody is going to get hurt looking for your cache. The last thing you want is somebody to zero out at the wrong pole and open a live utility box that has current instead after reading the hint.

I think that you answered yourself there

I am sure that if I asked the power company, they would say no.

I don't think the advertisments are permitted either, but not much is done and no one is trying to open up a poster. This just sounds like a really bad idea that can cause a number of problems with the power company and police. If you hide one like this and someone finds it, then moves on to the next cache that is not hidden the same way but near a live box, then go poking around the live box because this is where they found a previous one.

Don't assume they don't care. Its more a matter of money (in staff time) to police and take down. Not worth it because there are no real safety issues.

However, hiding a geocache is different. Not everyone is appropriately careful in their hunting strategy and anywhere near electricity is a bad idea in my book. Lots of cachers just poke at anything, something you shouldn't do near electrical equipment. I could see the hydro company being worried about people's safety in this case.

This is also why I don't like fake electircal outlets and boxes, just ecourages people to do things at real outlets etc. that they shouldn't.

JDandDD

I can think of a few times that we have gone poking around electrical equipment looking for a cache.

There was one time while doing a cache in Arizona, the cache was a fake electrical outlet magnetically attached to a large electrical (Air Conditioner?) unit. Luckily we were quick in spotting it and it detached easily, otherwise I am sure we would have done a lot of poking.

Another incident in Florida this past summer, the GPS zeroed out by a whole bunch of giant electrical boxes with many panels, doors and even pipes with lids in the ground. There was lots of evidence that people removed the lids from the ground thingys and also tried opening the electrical panels. We felt really uncomfortable and after about 15 minutes we gave up and walked away with a DNF. Turns out the cache was hidden a few feet away in the woods, but the coords never pointed in there and it seemed like an obvious spot for a magentic type hide with all the electrical equipment around. I also don't recall there being a hint and if there was, it was useless.

And another time last year we were hunting for a micro in a park. We searched everywhere with no luck and the only suspicious thing we saw was an electrical outlet on a lamp pole hidden in the trees. This seemed very suspicious and seemed like a good spot and the GPS pointed here too. We first searched the outside the cover of it, but eventually we really hesitantly unscrewed the inside of it only to discover that it was REAL. :) After talking with others, turns out I wasn't the first or only one to unscrew it. Turns out the cache was actually hanging in the tree a couple meters from the electrical outlet.

I can think of several other caches in Ontario that we have done that are fake electrical boxes or other attached to hydro poles, placed in old abandoned electrical boxes, placed on or under electric boxes, etc.

They are definately out there. Do I think it's a big deal? Not really as I guess I have seen enough of them and most are harmless, but those couple of them were past my comfort level and they turned out not even to be in\on the electrical objects but very close.

Now for all of those I wish there was an appropriate hint to atleast indicate if I should be searching on the electrical object or not. One did have an excellent hint. I still feel hints are very important for any cache.

This is a topic that should be addressed more often in my opinion

From the "Geocaching Listing Requirements"

Off-limit (Physical) Caches

By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location. However, if we see a cache description that mentions ignoring "No Trespassing" signs (or any other obvious issues), your listing may be immediately archived.

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

* Caches on land maintained by the U.S. National Park Service or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (National Wildlife Refuges)

* Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

* Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a clue or a logging method.

* Caches placed on archaeological or historical sites. In most cases these areas are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans.

* Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In general we use a distance of 150 ft but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.

* Caches near or on military installations.

* Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

To me the BOLDED section covers it quite well. It is against the guidelines to attach a container or tag in such a way as it causes physical damage to property.

As for the POSTER as an example, that too is actually illegal but the primary difference between a POSTER and a GEOCACHE is that a poster is looked at but not physically touched. Having to open a fake electrical box can concern both the cacher searching for it, and also anyone that happens to observe it.

If someone was caught by the police removing the doorbell or mailbox on your house, and the vandal claimed he was simply "Geocaching", would you be thrilled?

<_< The Blue Quasar

I have done lots of caches, but havn't hide one yet. I want to make sure that the caches I hide are good, and safe for the seekers.

This location may not be the best place and thanks for everyones feedback. I don't think you should unscreew any powerbox...but this is just PVC pipe with a cover.

Thanks everyone...