Tb Do's And Don'ts

geoduck.5

It is common practice to log that you grabbed a TB from a cache and then turn around and log that you dropped it off in the same cache as you "retreived" it from? Seems like this is just practice for those who are concerned with numbers and not trying to get the TB traveling around and rack up mileage.

No, in this case they are at the cache site. They write down the bug number and then place the bug back into the box. Then online they do a retrieve and drop.

Virtual is where neither the cacher or the bug has been to the cache site.

This sounds to me like a tactic to rack up how many travel bugs the individual cacher has come across. The results would show up when looking up information about the cacher. "Wow, look how many travel bugs this cacher has helped!" If all they ever do is SEE the bugs and do nothing else with them, this just looks like worthless information. I don't think you could do anything about it. Tell people about it; maybe peer pressure is the way to go.

I've never done thins but I've heard people doing it because:

1) They couldn't help the TB with it's mission (going in the wrong direction that day)

2) It was a really well saught after TB (ex: jeep) and knew that 10 other people would be looking for it that day.

As long as they were at that cache and signed the log, it shouldn't cause any harm.

I'll state up front I'm a noob so don't shoot me please :grin:

I came across a TB today and was sorely tempted to take it as I planned to visit another cache later on.

I didn't because of the seeming restrictions

I can't remember the exact wording but it went summat like "not looking for this to travel miles, probably not out of the county, never mind the country"

Now my next cache would have been out of the county but it would only be a few miles...13 as the (very energetic) crow flies and 18 as the (less energetic) car driver goes.

Would it have been wrong of me to take it, move it and log it?

Edited by Oor_Wullie
I'll state up front I'm a noob so don't shoot me please :grin:

I came across a TB today and was sorely tempted to take it as I planned to visit another cache later on.

I didn't because of the seeming restrictions

I can't remember the exact wording but it went summat like "not looking for this to travel miles, probably not out of the county, never mind the country"

Now my next cache would have been out of the county but it would only be a few miles...13 as the (very energetic) crow flies and 18 as the (less energetic) car driver goes.

Would it have been wrong of me to take it, move it and log it?

I think if you had read it a little closer you would have realized it would have been fine to take it. It just says "The mission for this bug is to travel small distances. No long hops across a county, let alone a country." I would take that to mean that as long as it moves in short increments, it's okay to eventually cross a county border. And I'd say that your 13-mile jump would have counted as a "short distance".

Link: "A bug with limited ambitions through bitter experience"

I think if you had read it a little closer you would have realized it would have been fine to take it. It just says "The mission for this bug is to travel small distances. No long hops across a county, let alone a country." I would take that to mean that as long as it moves in short increments, it's okay to eventually cross a county border. And I'd say that your 13-mile jump would have counted as a "short distance".

Hey, that's exactly what it said!!

Thanks for that....I'll remember that the next time I come across summat similar.....kinda wished I had taken it now :-(

QUOTE (geoduck4 @ Jan 14 2006, 10:16 PM)

Thanks for your replies. This isn't a rare event with these certain geocachers.

True, but what can you do about it? That's what I want to know.

Can't do anything about it. Just venting. :ph34r:

Doesn't affect you or me. No harm, no foul. Some people play this game in a very different way than most of us. As long as they don't grab it from someone who took it from the cache, no harm was done.

It seems like a trivial thing to vent about.

Wait! You're not one of the cache police, telling other people how they should play the game, are you? :ph34r:

It is common practice to log that you grabbed a TB from a cache and then turn around and log that you dropped it off in the same cache as you "retreived" it from? Seems like this is just practice for those who are concerned with numbers and not trying to get the TB traveling around and rack up mileage.

Actually, I just did this, because I couldn't think of another way to get the bug properly listed. I own the "Going to the Dogs" cache and the bug was put into it but not logged on the bug page, or showing up in the cache. http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...d4-8e50d92adfdeTB

If someone can tell me a better way to do it, I'll know better next time. I did write to the person who put it into my cache, asking them to fix it, but never heard back from them, so I did it myself.

Jackie

I have been known to do grab/drop bugs. I didn't realize it was a bad thing. I enjoy seeing where they've been and where they go after I've "met" them, but sometimes I know I won't be caching for awhile and don't want them languishing in my cache bag. If I have to type in the tracking number to see where they've been, I may as well grab/drop them. Also, the owner gets an email saying their bug still exists!

Actually somebody just did a grab/drop on one of my bugs. It was the first bug I sent off and it has been in the cache I started it in a few weeks now without movement. I am not very patient and have been excited to see it go somewhere.

I greatly appreciated the grab/drop because at least I got to see SOMETHING to read and it let me know that the bug is still there and alive even though it hasn't moved.

To me ANY activity is better than NO activity.

I'm new at this business, but I just placed my first TB and so I am reading with interest the discussions related to TBs. I think I would agree that reading a log entry that amounts to nothing more than a grab/drop would at least let you know your TB is alive and well in the last known location, evn if no movement is a little disappointing. As for a name for the practice/practioner? Everyone seems to keep saying, "grab/drop". So why not combine the two, "grop". Of course better yet, let's make it "grope". As in, "My TB just got groped." Didn't move an inch but got groped just the same." It fits and the guilty parties would soon be known as "TB gropers". This could be fun! PLease reply with your kind, civil, well-reasoned feedback. :o

Didn't move an inch but got groped just the same." It fits and the guilty parties would soon be known as "TB gropers". This could be fun! PLease reply with your kind, civil, well-reasoned feedback. :anicute:

Gropers - I like it! About the only trackable I'm willing to grope is a geocoin. I won't log a normal travel bug unless I move it.

I'll give you a nice don't...

Don't take 4 coins and 12 travel bugs from a cache and leave one.

I'm all for getting tbs and coins moving but come on, when people drop that many into one of the most popular caches on the east coast, it would be nice to leave some for others...

Mission 7: Crab Creek (Project APE)

Why? No way should there ever be 12 travel bugs sitting in a cache. Even an Ape Cache.

Why? No way should there ever be 12 travel bugs sitting in a cache. Even an Ape Cache.

I'm not saying I expect there to be 12 in there all the time. I'm saying that there's something to leaving something for the next guy. I think it's greedy to take so many bugs at one time from one cache. Given, it might be a little overzealous to leave that many at once but it was a special day... However, I think we might have to agree to disagree on this. You think it's ok to take them all, I think it's greedy.

I have been known to do grab/drop bugs. I didn't realize it was a bad thing. I enjoy seeing where they've been and where they go after I've "met" them, but sometimes I know I won't be caching for awhile and don't want them languishing in my cache bag.

Then just put them on your watchlist. (I have about a dozen.)

Grab/Drops just pollute your statistics by making it look like you've done something you haven't - helped a bug.

You think it's ok to take them all, I think it's greedy.

Speaking as a TB owner, I think it's greedy to interfere with the movement of my bugs for some reason that has nothing to do with me. Like leaving some for the next guy. Or keeping somebody's TB hotel full.

Those bugs belong to ME, and I want them out doing stuff. Not languishing in a cache for somebody else's reasons.

:P I am new at this and I just checked out a travelbug in one of my own caches yesterday. I got the number, got online, and logged that I grabbed it. The bug is still in the cache, I didn't take it. So now I've

got to do a virtual drop back into the cache online or go back and take it, and move it to another cache.

The problem for me has been the info on geocaching.com doesn't really explain the difference between

grabbing a bug and retrieving a bug. It seems to imply that by "grabbing" you just log that you find it.

And by "retrieving" you actually take it to another cache. I think they either need to explain the difference

better or only use one term if they both mean the same thing.

:P I am new at this and I just checked out a travelbug in one of my own caches yesterday. I got the number, got online, and logged that I grabbed it. The bug is still in the cache, I didn't take it. So now I've

got to do a virtual drop back into the cache online or go back and take it, and move it to another cache.

The problem for me has been the info on geocaching.com doesn't really explain the difference between

grabbing a bug and retrieving a bug. It seems to imply that by "grabbing" you just log that you find it.

And by "retrieving" you actually take it to another cache. I think they either need to explain the difference

better or only use one term if they both mean the same thing.

Yes, Grabbing vs Retrieving has always been a topic starter. And the the short answer is that you retrieve from caches and grab from cachers.

Go ahead and take the bug from the cache, online, and drop it back in. Of all the things in the world you can do a TB, simply logging it and leaving it in the same cache is far from the worst.

When you find another bug, feel free to do the same thing. As long as the bug is still alive, who cares?

QUOTE (geoduck4 @ Jan 14 2006, 10:16 PM)

Thanks for your replies. This isn't a rare event with these certain geocachers.

True, but what can you do about it? That's what I want to know.

Can't do anything about it. Just venting. :unsure:

Thats it! Venting. LOL Good name for the practice. Giving the travel bug some air.

About the only trackable I'm willing to grope is a geocoin. I won't log a normal travel bug unless I move it.

That's how I play it too. I did grope a Jeep at a cache meet once too, just because they are so rare to find in the wild.

If I leave a bug in a cache for whatever reason, I still try to remember to post a note for the TB or mention it in my log for the cache. Not only does it allow the bug owner to see that the bug is still alive and well, it could help when it goes missing to determine exactly WHEN it left the cache.

Everyone can play this game anyway they want.After reading many opionions I've made up my mind that if I find a cache with a travel bug I will take it and move asap unless I.ve already logged the bug . I will not "Grope" bugs or coins in the wild . At events I will only log TB's or coins if I have a TB or coin to trade with that cacher . I will not log out of photo albums . Venting a bug may be good for the owner to see its ok but seems kind of lazy just grab it and move it . TB hotels should be visited often by all local cacher with the intent on moving bugs,try to place bugs in newer caches it tends to be visited more often giving the bug a better chance of moving.