Stop Dpm'ing Average Caches!

As a cache owner, when I receive short logs from any cacher, it is not insulting, or degrading.  Is is simply (and nothing more) a short log.  :)  :)

I think it depends on the finders other logs. Many people only write short logs even though they enjoyed the cache. If, however, the finder normally writes detailed logs and leaves a TFTH on one I will feel that they didn’t like that cache.

Exactly!

I do not usually research previous logs written by those who may have written a short log on one of my caches; if a log on my cache is out of character with those written by the same person on other caches, I will probably never know. Therefore, my feelings won't be hurt.

Honestly Sax, I really don't think brevity in cache logs is going to automatically tag any cache in a negative manner. It's not rude either. However I can empathize with your feelings that more is better. We all enjoy reading colorful, descriptive logs that make our caches out to be a "must do."

If you're convinced that TNLNSL or TFTC is not fair, maybe you can do what I do; at the end of every log, no matter how involved or curt it may be, I always add the line: "Tanks," for the memories!

In some cases, that's all I write so if somebody were to research my logs they may come up disappointed. But I really doubt it. :):lol:

If you choose to censor your logs because you don't agree with it, that just shows your like pettiness with requiring sanitized logs versus someone's need to DPM.

Actually, it just shows that you have little patience for petty insults and rudeness. I don't think anyone ever placed a cache just so they can be insulted. :grin:

Roger that. Why spread a bad attitude? It serves no purpose other than to hurt other's feelings.

If a cache REALLY SUCKS, find a nice constructive way to offer advice for improvement. If you can't do that, use GSAK to sort your caches, and avoid those from that hider. Easily done, and no one's feelings get trampled like so much underbrush.

I like to read my (only) log to get a feel for what folks think. one guy was walking in a nearby field looking while it was in brush. now he could have dissed my cache but didn't. we all have those days when stuff goes wrong.

"Tis not the thrill of the "kill" but the thrill of the hunt, fit's the bill"

PS if you want to add another # notch to your total visit GCRX25 P&G just don't sit on it, don't forget to log it {thats my vicariuos thrill} :grin:

Edited by Lowsky
I'm not near the 4 digit mark yet, but once I did a cache and thought "This is just the lamest cache anybody could have conceived, I hope it dies a quick death" Of course I just posted a simple log, no editorial. Then laters others were posting about what a good cache it was.

That's when I realized that..........I don't know what I realized.

It is and was, in my opinion, a lame cache.

oh well, nevermind.

I have noticed that most cachers will not be truthfull when the log a cache .I myself dont have any great caches but alot of the logs are all "great cache and nice hide"I know when I see alot of TNLN in the logs that they are not that good.

I've never been bothered by a short post, and I've never taken it as an insult to my cache either. Some people are just better at painting a colorful picture about their experiences with words than others.

Is there really much difference between a simple TNLN and an obviously copied and pasted post such as - Number X of 10 for my friend and I today. Great day for caching, thanks for the hide. -?

I'm guilty of the copy and multiple paste method but I still try to add a comment that's unique to the cache.

If I'm understanding what is meant by DPM that seems like more of a jab than a TNLNSL.

I haven't waded through all the posts here, so I may be repeating what has already been said.

Personally, I have a hard time dissing a cache. I look at caches as a gift and I was always taught that when I received a gift I should say thank you whether or not I liked the gift.

If my brother bought me orange socks for Christmas, I'd say thank you and throw them in the Goodwill bag. But what if he started buyng me orange socks every Christmas and for my birthday too? Of course I could continue to accept them graciously, but is it proper for me to let him keep wasting his money? There must be a polite way to tell him "Thanks, but I really don't like orange socks". I think I'd be doing him a favor.

There is a guy in my area who has started sprinkling junk micros around. In northern NJ we've been pretty lucky to date that in that 7 Eleven dumpster micros are an abberation and not the norm. But one relative newbie has started placing them and on his pages he promises more :grin: . Fellow geocachers have complained about his caches at events, but still, they politely say nothing.

Sometimes I wish I could be more honest in my logs. I've read some of Jamie Z's logs and appreciate his honesty. I sometimes wish I had it in me to be as boldly critical.

Maybe if more people were honest in their logs, the "offenders" would start placing caches that are better appreciated by their fellow locals.

Edited by briansnat
There is a guy in my area who has started sprinkling junk micros around. In northern NJ we've been pretty lucky to date that in that 7 Eleven dumpster micros are an abberation and not the norm. But one relative newbie has started placing them and on his pages he promises more  . Fellow geocachers have complained about his caches at events, but still, they politely say nothing.

Just my point. No one forces anyone to find this newbie's caches. If you don't like someone's hides, don't go find them. Then you don't have the dilemma of deciding what to log.

There is a guy in my area who has started sprinkling junk micros around. In northern NJ we've been pretty lucky to date that in that 7 Eleven dumpster micros are an abberation and not the norm. But one relative newbie has started placing them and on his pages he promises more  . Fellow geocachers have complained about his caches at events, but still, they politely say nothing.

Just my point. No one forces anyone to find this newbie's caches. If you don't like someone's hides, don't go find them. Then you don't have the dilemma of deciding what to log.

Nahhh...that doesn't work.

You never know if a cache is a lame cache until you find it...then you have found a lame cache.

Nahhh...that doesn't work.

You never know if a cache is a lame cache until you find it...then you have found a lame cache.

That's right. The cache I wrote the short log on was placed by a newer cacher in the area. It might have been the first cache of theirs i have found, so I didn't have any idea as to its quality ahead of time. it ended up being a good cache, but my log didn't give it enough credit.

I think with under 50 finds i'm a rank newbie. Each cach i find is exciting for me. I know some of the park and grab caches you folks find boring, i find fun because i can grab them after work or on my way to work. Are they dead clams, probalby but they allow me to participate without taking time from my other responsibilities. Also My father in law is waiting on a replacement knee. Most of the easy (DMP's) are the only ones he can get to. Some of the caches i have had to go to more than once to find most of you oldtimers would giggle to watch me scatch my head. We only have 120 caches within a 100 mile radius. Some times any cache is better than no cache at all.

You have to find them first to figure out they aren't worth your while. Yeah, after you wasted your time on 3-4 of them you finally learn.

But maybe all the "thanks found it logs" make the person think his caches are wonderful and a critical log or two might spur him to hide better caches.

If I walked into a room with toilet paper on my shoe I would hope someone would point it out to me.

And maybe the "average" decent cache isn't one meant for the jaded thrill-seeker with a bazillion finds and a secret agent decoder ring? How about the seeker who still thinks just the very idea of walking around with one of these GPSr things is way cool, and who's tickled to find a Tupperware canister in a hollow log? As one of the new wave of Xmas-gift-induced newbies, reading through this thread's left me feeling like a cache is somehow lame if it's not something Sherlock Holmes needs three hits of opium and a violin concerto to find. :laughing:

... If I walked into a room with toilet paper on my shoe I would hope someone would point it out to me.

Sure you would. However, would you rather some one takes you aside and confidentially points it out or would you rather be ridiculed because of it?

Perhaps a simple 'Found it', or TNLN would be better than false praise. Heck, I don't even really mind those logs that say 'Why did you bring me here?'. In my opinion, its not nearly as insulting than the inside joke 'DPM'.

Edited by sbell111
If my brother bought me orange socks for Christmas, I'd say thank you and throw them in the Goodwill bag.  But what if he started buyng me orange socks every Christmas and  for my birthday too?  Of course I could continue to accept them graciously, but is it proper for me to let him keep wasting his money?  There must be a polite way to tell him "Thanks,  but I really don't like orange socks". I think I'd be doing him a favor.

Great analogy, but it misses the mark a little bit. The problem is, it's not your brother who keeps giving you the orange socks, it's a different person giving you those socks each time. And they're not just giving those socks to you, they are giving them to anyone who wants them.

If I didn't like the orange socks, or if I had so many pairs of them that I just didn't want any more, I think I'd stop going to get them.

I don't have that many finds, and maybe I'll feel differently when (if) I close in on 1,000, but I hope I don't. If I start disliking the socks that I am given, it's time to stop accepting them.

All this talk of socks has me pining for a few.

Why does my sock say Ringbone? :blink:

Edit: Grammar (some of it, anyway)

Edited by Trinity's Crew