Gpsmap60cs

thcri

I am on my 3rd Gilsson external antenna for my GPSMap60cs in about two years. The end keeps wearing on the MCX connector. It is a poor design/match for the GPS as the GPS has a deep insert to it and the cable itself just wears out from being so tight against the back of the GPS. I did just take out the little screw which holds the rubber seal to that port and the USB port and removed the gasket. This does allow for more room and I should have no problem doing this as long as the GPS is in my vehicle not in a place where I could drop it in water.

Has anyone else experienced this trouble or this something that is just happening to me. It is somewhat frustrating as my GPS lays in a car holder and is not being moved around or anything but the MCX end just keeps wearing out.

murph

Has anyone else experienced this trouble or this something that is just happening to me.  It is somewhat frustrating as my GPS lays in a car holder and is not being moved around or anything but the MCX end just keeps wearing out.

Hi Murph, I do not have first hand experience with a Gilsson antenna but I have heard of this problem before. I just bought this Garmin GA25mcx antenna for my 60C and found it for about $25 online. Take a look at this review and the photos and see if this looks to be a better fit for you. One point I liked in the review is this: "If I have a warranty problem with a Garmin GPS receiver which involves using the external antenna there is no need to debate with technical support staff about whether a third party antenna is causing the problem." I'm sure if your problem occurred with this Garmin antenna they would replace it no questions asked. Good luck, and happy caching!

Tim,

The first one Gilsson did replace under warranty. I did look at the Garmin one but felt the cable would still be a problem since it used the same MCX connector. Gilsson does make a straight through one but then it would not work in my car holder.

I took the rubber covers off of the GPS and it looks like now there is no rubbing. Time will tell.

Thanks

Murph