Why Do You Hide A Cache?

Alan2

So people will find it, silly! :P

:blink::D:lol:

Seriously, I enjoy hiding as much as I do hunting.

The Easter Bunny in me I guess. :unsure:

I love to read the logs that people write, especially if the hide is a little bit out of the norm or has some creativity.

I've got one micro lampost hide that isn't hid the way MOST LP hides are done.

When people find it they are pleasantly surprized to NOT find a lame LP Micro.

When I hide micros I try to use odd or creative containers, or depend on what people are used to finding to throw them off.

So, when they do find it, it makes for an enjoyable find.

YES, Even for a micro! ;)

And for my regular caches, I like to take people to a place that has some sort of historic meaning or a place with a nice view.

D-man B)

So the cachers in my area who have been at this for years don't HAVE to drive so far to find a cache that they didn't hide...

And because Big Jim sold me all those ammo cans so cheap...

Wait, he sold me all those cans so cheap so that I would hide some caches around here so that he wouldn't have to drive so far to find a cache.....Hmmmm!

Because it's fun to try to come up with something new (even though I usually don't!)

Because I love to read online logs.

Because I like to find caches that have trade items in them (even though I rarely trade) so I put some out like that.

To make myself go out and explore my own area while looking at it from new angles.

One reason is to try and highlight things I've seen around here in my 29 years living here that are either forgotten or unknown to visitors, but are either historically significant to the area, or based purely on an interesting natural formation. I also LOVE reading that people enjoyed seeing what I brought them there for. And yes, I get a kick out of making people scratch their heads and maybe even letting some bad words fly while hunting my stash. :laughing:

What you talkin 'bout Wiz - not enough caches in the area! Haven't you heard of SCUM, the Santee Cache Urban Mircros? <_<

I know you're in HS and commend you for the anti-drug statement - there's no high that can match caching. And I'm not saying I've tried. I better shut up now. :laughing:

I'm about to hide my first cache.... hehe. So here are some reasons:

It's another dimension to the game. Hide and seek isn't as fun to play if you always only get to seek and you never hide, right?

I started geocaching to give me a REASON to bike ride out to the middle of the boonies and back again (after all, if you look at it objectively mountain biking sounds like a huge waste of time, doesn't it?). Hiding a cache gives me a reason to ride out into the middle of the boonies where a cache doesn't already exist. Hey, it's a stretch of the imagination--but one grasps at any psychological straws when their doctor says "get exercise, or start writing your will."

To get rid of the junk that has been cluttering my home that I never use. My first cache will contain:

A 128mb USB thumb drive/ballpoint pen

A 5 pack of dual layer DVD blanks

A radio

A calculator

You know, junk... but as I keep hearing posted on this site: One's man's trash is another man's treasure.

My kids are getting older; Goodwill is quite picky about taking used toys and I just couldn't see throwing them away. :laughing: MS

Please note: concern has been expressed about people's inability to discern between fact and fiction in some cachers' logs and the poor impression it may have on the geocaching community as a whole. To the best of our knowledge, we did not do anything illegal in finding this cache. In general, a wink icon next to a statement indicates fiction or an exaggeration. Let us know if you in any way find our log offensive and we will modify our post. We practice CITO (cache-in-trash-out) whenever we cache and make every effort not to disturb the natural habitat. It is always our desire to leave an area better off than we found it.

I think all of my hides try to show seekers a place that is special to me, even if the place was discovered by me whilst I was trying to find a place to hide the container.

I did have one series which was "hisorical," but two out of the four caches had to be archived for different reasons. Although, I might have to resurrect them, as they were popular caches and no one has rushed to fill the vacuum left by their absence.

Melrose

I hide because I can't hunt as much as I would like to.

Five months after retirement I had open heart surgery which ruind my plans for a lot of cache hunting.

I have always been an outdoorsman, and I know a lot of great places to place a cache.

so rather than hunt a cache alone in unfamilliar territory I get as big a kick out of taking people to places they never knew existed.

For starters I hid caches because I had never done it before and wanted to see what others said about my hides....In the last few months I have tried to put more effort into ideas for cache hides and coming up with creative ideas. Now I like the more positive logs that generate with my caches.

Edited by Super_Nate

I started hiding caches because there were none in the immediate area. Also, it brings cachers to this area when they otherwise may not have bothered exploring or visiting. Sometimes they may find an old bridge or cemetery or trail. Maybe a waterfall or nearby wetland. These may even be places they were unaware of.On their way through they may also drop a few dollars at a local store or restaurant. The local museum let me hide some caches on their trail system. They received more visitors as a result. So when I hide caches maybe I am giving back to the sport and the community, even if it is just a little bit.

lately just to torment people :P

I have one that makes people scream and a couple that gros them out. But in of my new ones got swept away in some flood waters :( It is just a matter of time before some calls the police when they find severed hand holding a peanut putter jar :P

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I love hunting and finding geocaches, I also enjoy placing geocaches for other people to hunt and find. I placed a bunch of caches in my first year because there weren't almost any caches in my area...now that there are more cachers and more cachers placing caches, I'm placing less caches than I used to (and may in fact archive some of the older ones that have had a good run, to make run for other people).

jamie

12 of my caches were inspired by the locations, i.e. Native American rock art, Largest Sandstone cave in North America, unique rock formations, Little know quiet spots to escape the crowds, overlooked pieces of history or a lost legend. Each of the places were unique in their own way and I just wanted to share them with others.

A couple caches fit themed items that I am interested in so I found appropriate spots to place them.

My Thank You Betsy Ross cache, came out of finding a lot of flag themed items cheap, and it helped that we have a Betsy Ross park in town that has been renamed, doesn't show up on maps but the roadside marker is still there.

My Whitehaven (rest stop) cache is just there to stroke my ego. I know I will continue to get visits emails form it while some of my favorite caches only get visited 5 times a year.

I have two caches ready to go but I have to find the appropriate locations for them. I found novelty items to use in the hide with a play on the name, that should make for some giggles when they get found, sometimes it is hard to find the PERFECT PLACE. I find it easier to find the location and get a cache that will fit the location, than having the cache and unable to find the specific area required for the hide to work.

I also have one that I want to place just to drive everyone nuts: Under the Kudzu will be a nitroglycerin tube hidden in a hillside acre of Kudzu with a large bill as first to find, and probably only to find. I have the container I have 3 patches of Kudzu picked out, now I just need $100. lol

GEO.JOE

So people will find it, silly! B)

:DB):P

Seriously, I enjoy hiding as much as I do hunting.

The Easter Bunny in me I guess. <_<

I love to read the logs that people write, especially if the hide is a little bit out of the norm or has some creativity.

I've got one micro lampost hide that isn't hid the way MOST LP hides are done.

When people find it they are pleasantly surprized to NOT find a lame LP Micro.

When I hide micros I try to use odd or creative containers, or depend on what people are used to finding to throw them off.

So, when they do find it, it makes for an enjoyable find.

YES, Even for a micro! B)

And for my regular caches, I like to take people to a place that has some sort of historic meaning or a place with a nice view.

D-man :D

B)

There's a few reasons for me:

1. Because that's the nature of the game. If nobody hid any caches then it wouldn't be much of a game now would it?f

2. Because I've found most of the caches within 100 miles of my location so it gives me something to do.

3. Because I enjoy hiding as much as finding.

Edited by GPSREBEL