Cemetery Etiquette

snowfrog

With the popularity of cemeteries as cache locations, I often thought it would be nice to try to establish a new form of cache etiquette while there. Similar to CITO but simply reset a flower arrangement that may have been knocked down by weather, or perhaps pull weeds from around a headstone before you exit. Just one mind you, and here's your chance to name it, and the pick the acronym!

Edited by snowfrog
Some states/areas have orgs for recording and mapping the memorials. Many smaller cemetaries are deteriorating, and the history is being lost. If I can find the link, I'll post again. Look up mapping of cemetaries on Google.

Interesting point, years ago as a deer hunter I found several very small and overgrown family plots in the woods which were no doubt lost to time and record. If you know of a cemetery on public property that obviously has no custodian, perhaps a new cache listing could bring folks there and even recruit a volunteer.

cemetery mapping

Edited by snowfrog
With the popularity of cemeteries as cache locations, I often thought it would be nice to try to establish a new form of cache etiquette while there. Similar to CITO but simply reset a flower arrangement that may have been knocked down by weather, or perhaps pull weeds from around a headstone before you exit. Just one mind you, and here's your chance to name it, and the pick the acronym!

It would be a bad idea in the extreme to "fix up" a cemetery without the approval of someone in charge.

Even if you can't find someone in charge, you might not know the traditions of those buried there. Don't assume the WASP way is the only way.

Just a for instance: you go to a cemetery and find some joker has left a bunch of pebbles on the headstones. You might think someone let their child play some silly game. So, in an effort to "help" go around brushing off these pebbles.

What you've just done could be considered disrespectful. The cemetery is Jewish. I'm not an expert on the Jewish faith by any means, but what was explained to me is when someone visits a grave they leave a pebble on the marker to signify they were there. Why? I don't know.

The point is I don't know. I'd caution against "helping" without guidance.

Creating some sort of CITO-for-Cemeteries is not a good idea. While one might think this would foster good will with the geocaching community, believe me, it will cause problems.

...so, just how do you take care of a Gullah cemetery, anyway?

EDIT: fixed wordo.

Edited by CoyoteRed

There are small things one can do However .....

Like :

If you find a fallen US flag, please stick it back in the ground. As always, please be respectful, and cache in, trash out. And NEVER EVER go caching in a Cemetery at Night .

DESPITE WHAT SOME NON-ISQ CEMETERY CACHE PAGES MAY SAY, YOU ARE SUBJECT TO ARREST IF FOUND IN A CEMETERY AT NIGHT IN INDIANA IN MOST ALL JURISDICTIONS.

The Indiana Spirit Quest series of geocaches will take you to a number of historic cemeteries built by Hoosier Pioneers. In just over a year and a half, the quest has grown to over four hundred caches hidden in over forty Indiana counties, and Ohio and Michigan and the hiders have grown to over twenty cacher teams, most of which of which are comprised of Dogs and their Humans. Over 875 cacher teams have logged over 10,400 finds.

And they are not "Just micro's in cemetery's" .. The cache pages all tell a story of the History of the people in the town/ county etc.... History folks its what its all about :

Sample caches:

ISQ-403 No Amber Alert

ISQ-Michigan #3-Pushing Up Flowers

ISQ-#182/ Crissy the Skunk Woman

ISQ #400- Fallen Hero..... This one may make you cry ......

We are proud members of :

45018c77-1c78-45a2-a706-90179086b536.jpg

Star & Wulf

Team Tigger International

It would be a bad idea in the extreme to "fix up" a cemetery without the approval of someone in charge.

Agreed. Continue to practice your CITO in cemeteries. If you want to do something more, contact the owner or governing authority and see if they want help. If they do, then you can solocit your fellow geocachers to help out.

Edited by briansnat

Even if you can't find someone in charge, you might not know the traditions of those buried there. Don't assume the WASP way is the only way.

Just a for instance: you go to a cemetery and find some joker has left a bunch of pebbles on the headstones. You might think someone let their child play some silly game. So, in an effort to "help" go around brushing off these pebbles.

What you've just done could be considered disrespectful. The cemetery is Jewish. I'm not an expert on the Jewish faith by any means, but what was explained to me is when someone visits a grave they leave a pebble on the marker to signify they were there. Why? I don't know.

The point is I don't know. I'd caution against "helping" without guidance.

Creating some sort of CITO-for-Cemeteries is not a good idea. While one might think this would foster good will with the geocaching community, believe me, it will cause problems.

...so, just how do you take care of a Gullah cemetery, anyway?

EDIT: fixed wordo.

"some joker"?