Short Log Entries

Pelamore

I myself have been guilty of this, the one line entries for the find on Geocaching.com. Maybe the hunt wasn't very interesting, maybe you were tired when you logged the find, maybe you just aren't a writer. But one sentence?

I recently placed my first cache, and the log of the only finder so far was great. But it made me think of all the entries I see in other caches like "TFTH TNLNSL" and little more. Quick park and grabs aside, if an owner like me spends weeks planning a cache, hours placing it, and in some cases money for supplies and starting swag, don't they deserve more then one line? I'm not in any way "Angry" at one liners, certainly not. I would just like to encourage more creative and thought out postings.

I try to write detailed, without spoilers, entries for my postings. A few paragraphs, even if it's just about the weather that day or an interesting flower you saw along the way can go along way to improving the interest of other cachers and the satisfaction of the owner, IMO.

To me, reading the logs of the other cachers adds to the joy of the hunt. I get to not only find the cache, but see the tree another cacher climbed just for fun and posted the picture (Rogue, yes that's you), the spot someone saw a Rattlesnake, maybe I'll get lucky and find the glasses/compass/etc that so-and-so said they lost on the trail. It makes the hunt more interesting, and I find it helps to get to know the other cachers in your area. A "one-liner" gives none of that to the next guy.

When I choose my next target, the previous logs are a key factor. Not only do they give me hints to conditions and challenges, but shows that others enjoyed it enough to take the time to write some funny or interesting stories about their adventure.

So, my advise? Write, and write, and write. I love reading them, and I'm sure many others do to.

To me, reading the logs of the other cachers adds to the joy of the hunt.

I think you hit the nail on the head with what's quoted above. You enjoying reading the logs, and some people don't. You write interesting details of your visit and others don't. We had someone come through here last year and found many of the caches. They simply wrote "thanks" on every cache they logged. I'm like you, I enjoy reading the logs, but I've come to realize that not everybody is going to do them.

Sometimes there just isn't much to write.

This is true.....even with some hiking caches, you still won't find much to write about.

I agree with the complaint about having logs that all they say is TFTC/SL or whatever combination they come up with. Seeing some of the log entrys that you have posted, you are the second person that I've seen that logs essays for finds regularly.

I like to make logs that are unique for the cache that I have found, but not in story form....however I have no problem with "essay" logs. In fact, on really good caches I have posted MASSIVE log entries to describe the adventure that I just went through.

Just to be clear, I'm not scolding short entries, just trying to encourage longer ones. After all, everyone has the right to play the game as they see fit within the rules. And there is NO rule on how long your log entry is.

I too have done caches without very much to write about, and therefore don't write much at all. But other times I've had an adventure, and choose to share that adventure with others.

To be honest sometimes people will use really short logs cause they are in a hurry or they just plain hate the cache and are being polite.

If I see someone log a bunch of caches in a day and the logs pretty much are all the same no biggie, but if they leave nice fun logs for a bunch and just a simple TNLNSL type deal then yeah I think something would be up with either the cache or the experience they had finding it.

To be honest sometimes people will use really short logs cause they are in a hurry or they just plain hate the cache and are being polite.

If I see someone log a bunch of caches in a day and the logs pretty much are all the same no biggie, but if they leave nice fun logs for a bunch and just a simple TNLNSL type deal then yeah I think something would be up with either the cache or the experience they had finding it.

Geoholic28 (Hey R!) is right ... we often do this. We'll also sometimes leave off our typical "thanks for sharing!" at the end of our log. It all depends. 99+ out of a 100 will get something nice said about our adventure. As has been stated above, the cache owners spend a great deal of time and effort on their caches. The last thing you want to do is tell them there's no such thing as gravity ... it's the experience you had finding their cache! :P

Can't get much shorter than this :lol: (well, okay, it can if you remove the timestamp...)

I make a point to try to say something unique about each cache I log. If I have alot to share, I may post a long-winded log entry. On "uninspired" caches, usually those associated with parking lots, my logs will generally be 1 sentence that reads something like, "lots of traffic today." or, "I made a little noise retrieving the cache, but I don't think anyone heard me." (guess where that one was hidden :) ).

I get alot of copied/pasted logs on my caches, and while I sometimes wish people would have more to say, to many folks it's more about the hunt and about having a good time with friends then about sharing the experience with others online, and I respect that. many people like to spend time caching instead of sitting at their computer writing log entries- coming up with a unique log for each find can be very time consuming if you find a large number of caches in one day.

Edited by DavidMac

For us it depends on A LOT of factors as to what I write on the cache page. Most times we are caching with our 3 kids and possibly extras, so it makes it harder for me to remember what happened or what was traded at a particular cache. And sometimes, I'm just too lazy to write much of anything. I do enjoy reading what others had to say about our hides, so I try to write more than TFTC when I log.

My caching partner and I leave significantly longer logs for caches we enjoy than for those we don't. Often I'm very wary with what I say in my logs. I don't want to give the cache location away to others. Sometimes short and sweet is best. When I consciously try to say more, I get into rambling mode that no one besides the owner wants to read (and maybe the owner won't want to read it if I accidentally give something away)...

However, I see where you're coming from. I own 2 caches myself and I'm very happy that most of the logs on those are more than the typical "TNLNSL TFTC"...

I had the same thought a couple of years ago and came up with this cache:

GCHB7Q

I have since archived it, but one of my comments in the logs:

I just wanted to get some of our local Geocachers to express themselves a bit, there is nothing more boring than a TNLNSL cache log, although I know I am guilty of it myself. I always TRY to put in a little something extra about the hunt or what was going on, the weather, or why I was in a grumpy/happy/oblivious mood while caching and want my fellow geocachers to do a bit of the same, 'cause we are some of the coolest folks around, ya know!

So, guess I'm a psychic dittohead. ;):o

I try to leave more than TNLNSL, but as some have said sometimes thats about all you want to say about it. If I am only going after a few caches in a day I have found I tend to write more since I have more time, but I have noticed that when I read logs people have left in my caches. If people would leave where they are from in the cache log that actually suits me just fine, especially those who are in the state caching.

just my .02

I had the same thought a couple of years ago and came up with this cache:

GCHB7Q

I have since archived it, but one of my comments in the logs:

I just wanted to get some of our local Geocachers to express themselves a bit, there is nothing more boring than a TNLNSL cache log, although I know I am guilty of it myself. I always TRY to put in a little something extra about the hunt or what was going on, the weather, or why I was in a grumpy/happy/oblivious mood while caching and want my fellow geocachers to do a bit of the same, 'cause we are some of the coolest folks around, ya know!

So, guess I'm a psychic dittohead. :drama::blink:

ok, this will be going slightly off topic (I'm an Indiana cacher), but this "problem" affects all areas I believe. One of the most amusing caches in our area is

Do NOT find this cache

there are versions of this all over, but that's the one up our way. One thing I noticed was that after it was placed (and after a few of us found it), the logs on other caches got a bit longer. maybe there IS a point to wally world micros...

good luck getting a sentence or more out of your finders. :blink:

I too am guilty of short log posts. This happens mostly when I have been out on a long day and had 20 or more finds and just don't have much to write about most of them. When something special does happen or I see a danger, something interesting, or just feel mouthy then I write about it. Take yesterdays cache for example. I was FTF on a cache thats been out for a week. Rare around here. It was difficult getting to and worse getting out. I typed for 10 minutes on the log and my wife told me I was spending too much time on it. It was the only find of the day so I let loose in detail. I am sure any readers will get a chuckle out of our exploits. Thats what makes a log worth reading too. I have seen some that were as boreing as reading a phone book but went on forever. Gusee it just depends on the reader and the writer combo. I do like to hear if my caches were enjoyed with more than a TFTH.