Deadly Wisconsin Cache?

teameverest

This is a cross post from the Wisconsin site, very interesting yet scary tale.

A Wisconsin Geocacher had cached'and found a ammo box that was unusaul at best. Saw the ammo box had wires running into the ground. Then apparetnly law enforcement came out and dismantled the cache and it had wires runnning to a small battery buried underground. Inside they found some probes dipped in some kind of powders and a small note inside. The most disturbing part of the story was he said mounted on a tree approx. 20 feet away there was a moition activated camera that logged all video onto a small disc within the camera unit mounted on the tree.

This sounded very very scary, stay safe out there foiks... Apparently it looked to well rigged to be a prank.

This is not meant to scare anyone, just be safe...

Also don't want to mention where it was since I don't want to discourage others in the Wisconsin area that this happened

FOAF = Friend Of A Friend. As in, "My friend told me that someone told him that there was an ammo can cache somewhere that had a trip wire coming out of it, and the cops came and blew it up. So you're not going to be allowed to use ammo cans for caches any more." I'll be polite and call it an urban legend. :laughing:

This happened recently, and I know this because working in the EMS industry in Wisconsin I have lots of friends around who work in EMS and law enforcement. You won't find it in the news , kind of bad PR you know? I can tell you 95% it's a true story.

:laughing: Know they didn't blow it up! They just came and looked at it. Very scary thing to encounter when your alone in a remote area. . .

I remember reading something similiar about a year ago; there was an ammo box with some kind of tripwire coming out of it.  Is this a different one?  :huh:  :laughing:

The one last year was a wooden box with a trip wire, if we're thinking of the same one. It was in NJ. Here's the thread.

Yep, we're thinking of the same one; it's amazing what people will do.

...I know this because working in the EMS industry in Wisconsin I have lots of friends around who work in EMS and law enforcement. You won't find it in the news , kind of bad PR you know? I can tell you 95% it's a true story.

What about that other 5%? Are you sure this is a cache? Your OP mentions nothing of a logbook, or stupid little trinkets and an internet game. B):mad:

Yes this was a confirmed cache because it was on www.geocaching.com . . . Just a way to lead someone to this remote area to find this ammobox. It wasn't rigged correctly to cause any harm if the lid would have been opened by a un-suspecting person. Guess the guy need's some intelligence.

Though I will say this is in and around the area where the Madison Police are seeking a man who has been placing expolosives around Madison Wisc. Really don't want to say more then that.

Just thought I'd pass it along and make sure everyone stays safe and just doesn't open the lid of a cache without looking a bit closer....

Edited by teameverest

I was wondering about this horrifying possibility while lurking before I got my GPS.

While in the US Air Force, I was in Explosive Ordnance Disposal before moving on to Aeroballistics Research. One thing we were acutely aware of was how dangerous and unpredictable an IED (Improvised Explosive Device) can be. That has been over 10 years in the past and I still look unfamiliar containers over befor handling them. May none of us or anyone for that matter have something of this nature happen.

Yes this was a confirmed cache because it was on www.geocaching.com . . .  Just a way to lead someone to this remote area to find this ammobox.  It wasn't rigged correctly to cause any harm if the lid would have been opened by a un-suspecting person.  Guess the guy need's some intelligence. 

Though I will say this is in and around the area where the Madison Police are seeking a man who has been placing expolosives around Madison Wisc.  Really don't want to say more then that. 

Just thought I'd pass it along and make sure everyone stays safe and just doesn't  open the lid of a cache without looking a bit closer....

I have actually opened my mailbox using a rope because of a mailbox bomber.

That was real.

You are still talking smoke.

Real issues require open and honest notification.

PM a forum moderator with the info if you think that the detail shouldn't be made public. If someone like Keystone states it is so, I'll reconsider.

Otherwise you are a troll, and a bad one at that.

Edited by BlueDeuce
I do not know of truth to this, but heard it from a realiable person.

Said a Wisconsin Geocacher had cached'and found a ammo box that was unusaul at best. Saw the ammo box had wires running into the ground. Then apparetnly law enforcement came out and dismantled the cache and it had wires runnning to a small battery buried underground. Inside they found some probes dipped in some kind of powders and a small note inside. The most disturbing part of the story was he said mounted on a tree approx. 20 feet away there was a moition activated camera that logged all video onto a small disc in the unit.

This sounded very very scary, stay safe out there foiks...

You titled the topic Rumor From Another Forum. Sounds like you may only be 5% right. :laughing::huh::mad:

Edited by sept1c_tank
I was wondering about this horrifying possibility while lurking before I got my GPS.

While in the US Air Force, I was in Explosive Ordnance Disposal before moving on to Aeroballistics Research. One thing we were acutely aware of was how dangerous and unpredictable an IED (Improvised Explosive Device) can be. That has been over 10 years in the past and I still look unfamiliar containers over befor handling them. May none of us or anyone for that matter have something of this nature happen.

Well, if I could search the forums I could find previous discussions on this topic.

Basically, there is no history or reasoning to determine that geocachers would have a higher targeting rate then any other section of the public.

I am not a troll, you will note my join date of 03' I've been on these forums awhile just never really had any interest to post. This is not a joke, it's not intended to scare anyone away, it's mean't to keep people safe. World's crazy what can you do. So don't jump on me saying I am just causing a rukus trolling around. I am sorry I can't be a forum :unsure: Ninja :blink: like yourself.

P.S. It is off another forum which I posted it on which is the Wisconsin site, in case other Wisconsin folks are on here as well.

Stay safe everyone. happy caching

I am not a troll, you will note my join date of 03' I've been on these forums awhile just never really had any interest to post.  This is not a joke, it's not intended to scare anyone away, it's mean't to keep people safe.  World's crazy what can you do.  So don't jump on me saying I am just causing a rukus trolling around.  I am sorry I can't be a forum  :unsure:  Ninja  :blink: like yourself. 

P.S.  It is off another forum which I posted it on which is the Wisconsin site, in case other Wisconsin folks are on here as well. 

Either this is related to Geocaching or not. The only way you can demonstrate this is to post the link to the news article or the fourm where you originally found this. Otherwise you are doing nothing more than posting misinformation.

Your posts are nothing more than "I read about this at another website, but I'm not going to tell you where because I don't want to scare anyone". Unsubstianted ruomor is the most effective way to create a panic or disdane. We are all adults here and we can make informed desicions.

Provide us with the facts, your not helping anyone with partial information.

Edited by magellan315
Yes this was a confirmed cache because it was on www.geocaching.com . . .

So, if you have so much detail as to know that it WAS indeed a cache and WAS indeed listed on geocaching.com, please share the User Waypoint ID with us, so that we may each read the cache listing page and evaluate for ourselves. Lacking that, I would say that this is likely urban folklore.

I am not a troll, you will note my join date of 03' I've been on these forums awhile just never really had any interest to post.  This is not a joke, it's not intended to scare anyone away, it's mean't to keep people safe.  World's crazy what can you do.  So don't jump on me saying I am just causing a rukus trolling around.  I am sorry I can't be a forum  :unsure:  Ninja  :blink: like yourself. 

P.S.  It is off another forum which I posted it on which is the Wisconsin site, in case other Wisconsin folks are on here as well. 

Either this is related to Geocaching or not. The only way you can demonstrate this is to post the link to the news article or the fourm where you originally found this. Otherwise you are doing nothing more than posting misinformation.

Your posts are nothing more than "I read about this at another website, but I'm not going to tell you where because I don't want to scare anyone". Unsubstianted ruomor is the most effective way to create a panic or disdane. We are all adults here and we can make informed desicions.

Provide us with the facts, your not helping anyone with partial information.

Magellan, I feel that you wrote an excellent and eminently sane and sensible post, and I agree wholeheartedly. I do love good tales, and I do love good fiction, and I just love dramatic stories, but I tend to really dislike fiction masquerading as truth.

Your posts are nothing more than "I read about this at another website, but I'm not going to tell you where because I don't want to scare anyone".

The really crazy thing is that the only reason he was able to read it at the wisconsin website is because HE posted the same story there.

"It must be true 'cause I read it on the internet" is bad enough, but when you are the one that wrote it it's just plain silly.

Your posts are nothing more than "I read about this at another website, but I'm not going to tell you where because I don't want to scare anyone".

The really crazy thing is that the only reason he was able to read it at the wisconsin website is because HE posted the same story there.

"It must be true 'cause I read it on the internet" is bad enough, but when you are the one that wrote it it's just plain silly.

Dontcha love people who create urban legends?

Link to the Wisconsin post

I hope that they are going to produce some real proof of this. Otherwise rumors like this take on a life of their own and I hate to have someone point the finger at Geocachers as a collective group.

If it's real you'll post the link to the article (or some actual facts) so we can read it for ourselves.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone
This happened recently, and I know this because working in the EMS industry in Wisconsin I have lots of friends around who work in EMS and law enforcement. You won't find it in the news , kind of bad PR you know? I can tell you 95% it's a true story.

I don't know why you all are doubting this guy....we all know cops and medics wouldn't BS anybody, especially each other....LOLOL. :unsure:

BTW, I've heard of some other caches that involved the use of motion sensitive cameras. There was nothing sinister going on other than the hider wanted to be able to watch people searching for the cache and had the equipment to do it. I don't know why some people are so quick to think the worst. Let's go caching! :unsure:

--Marky

Other than what I have read of the supposed Wisconsin cache in this forum, I have no knowledge of the aforementioned cache or of the credibility of the supposed finder.

However, I will express no surprise that such a cache could exist based on some of the cache containers that I have seen depicted in the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (ccc's) discussion that have been approved, or that I have personally found in the field.

I suppose a number of eager fledglings are to blame for unsanded and unlabelled military ammo boxes stuffed with McToys in high visibility places, and enthusiasm for the newfound sport obscures the implications of metal boxes labelled "PROXIMITY FUSES" being found under azaleas by casual or curious observers and subsequently released to atmosphere by Explosive Ordinance technicians who are pushing a 200 beat per minute pulse and hoping to go home at shift change.

During my day shift yesterday, we had a Commonwealth of Massachusetts Hazardous Materials Team activation for four granules of compressed white powder found in a postal service container of mail to be distributed. Two District teams responded and several hundred thousand dollars in manpower later, it was determined to be a common edible also used as mechanical lubricant. Is there any doubt that an ammo box with wires, batteries, and motion activated electrical equipment would end up on a federal, state, and local response statistic?

I've submitted some complex caches in my time (and I'd wager I'm probably the only one in the world to list a geocache aboard a Juliett Class Soviet Guided Nuclear Missle submarine) so I certainly understand the anxiety of waiting for an approver to review and approve a cache submission.

Nonetheless, I continue to express that new cache submissions should REQUIRE a photograph of the cache container and cache location prior to cache approval to further eliminate the caches and cache containers liable to become a public safety issue and to further eliminate negative publicity against geocaching.com for ultimately approving the placement of the caches and containers.

I don't know why you all are doubting this guy....we all know cops and medics wouldn't BS anybody, especially each other....LOLOL. :unsure:

Well, I have never (where's my boots?) been BS'ed by any cops or (gonna need my coat, too!) EMS guys! And especially not by any (getting real deep in here!) of my brother firefighters! :P:P

This is an interesting story.....but as a paramedic with his ear to the ground when it comes to medical stories. This one never hit my wire!

Without the bomb, and with an added wi-fi transmittion added to the camera this could be a cool webcam cache. Great idea to add the motion detector, to fire up the cam. :P

I would hate to see a story like this put fear into the GeoCaching community....just look at how Halloween is going.

...new cache submissions should REQUIRE a photograph of the cache container...

Maybe GeoCaching.com could add another listing under type, "small bomb"? Or maybe we could set up a new site "www.bombcache.com" :P

I don't think the crazy person who places a cache to do harm will take a correct picture of the "really" container. Good people fallow rules, the bad don't!

WI geocacher here. No news of ammo cans with wires have been reported so far (I live close to Madison WI, and there have been reports of pipe bomb type things found in Madison that were NOT geocaches lately).

All geocaches placed in the city of Madison require a sort of registration through the city of Madison.

Bec