Free Hiking Staff

El Diablo

boy do I wish I had entered earlier... I have always incorperated a wolf somehow into a username or avie, I think i would have look awesome on that staff... oh well

He'll be more than happy to sell you one! Just tell him what you want.

for how much though... I can't really afford much... :unsure: you know how it is as a kid

Are you old enough to push a lawn mower or use a rake? If so you should be able to earn the money for one pretty quick, and a staff you worked to earn can always be a source of pleasure and pride!

I had contracts from age 13 through high school to do yard care for neighbors. In the summer I would get up at 5 a.m., cut someone's lawn and have my money earned before the heat set in, during the school year I would do them late in the afternoon.

My parents provided everything I needed, but I had my own money to buy anything I wanted.

Good luck,

Ed

[Cut to save space]

for how much though... I can't really afford much... :unsure: you know how it is as a kid

Are you old enough to push a lawn mower or use a rake? If so you should be able to earn the money for one pretty quick, and a staff you worked to earn can always be a source of pleasure and pride!

I had contracts from age 13 through high school to do yard care for neighbors. In the summer I would get up at 5 a.m., cut someone's lawn and have my money earned before the heat set in, during the school year I would do them late in the afternoon.

My parents provided everything I needed, but I had my own money to buy anything I wanted.

Good luck,

Ed

Thanks for the words of encouragement... as you probably saw in the other topic I'm thinking about asking the city for a job in surveying...

boy do I wish I had entered earlier... I have always incorperated a wolf somehow into a username or avie, I think i would have look awesome on that staff... oh well

You can email me and we'll try to work something out.

El Diablo

And then there were the treks to school, waist deep in the snow with no shoes, uphill both ways... :unsure::mad::o

And then there were the treks to school, waist deep in the snow with no shoes, uphill both ways... :unsure::mad::o

Hey!! I went to that school also.

El Diablo

Can I make a suggestion for the next round?
That would be?

Well, first off, by suggesting something, I naturally would exclude myself from consideration.

As someone who has spent a lot of effort developing free software for use by geocachers, I sometimes feel under-appreciated, especially by TPTB. I think there are a lot of geocachers who "give back" to geocaching in quiet, unheralded ways, and I would like to see their contributions rewarded.

So I'd propose that the next staff be given to somebody who has contributed to geocaching in a "different" way from the traditional high-profile volunteers such as the reviewers and the leaders of regional geocaching groups.

I just noticed this thread and franticly searched for an avitar I liked so I could enter this contest. I didd'nt even have one until a few minutes ago. I guess if i had read to the end of the thread i would have noticed the contest is over! Oh well. Now I have an avitar! :huh:

Any plans for another contest? I usually like the satistfaction of crafting things on my own but the list is sooo long!

I vote for the avatar shown on the posts by Vinny of Vinny & Sue Team. He is a wonderful, great, handsome and suave and intelligent person, and his avatar is GREAT, in fact, it is EXTREMELY GREAT! He deserves a hiking staff!

Oh... by the way please ignore the sig line below which may accidentally indicate something about me being "Vinny of Vinny & Sue Team". My name is really Ringbone, and I do not even know Vinny, but I know that he is a great guy!

B):blink::o:D

:unsure::laughing:

I got my hiking staff today too! I'm not nearly as photogenic as those cute girls, so you won't see any photos beyond those El Diablo has already posted of the staff. It's really beautiful stick though. Thanks again!

Now all the other reviewers will be jealous. Better get back to carving. :huh:

~erik~

PS, Just to clarify, I was lucky enough to get my El Diablo staff as detailed in this thread, not because of my avatar.

Edited by erik88l-r

hmm, if I had a staff for hiking I think I would want:

One person to run ahead of me and check for spiderwebs or thorns and to make sure the trail was correct.

One person to carry the gear like a backup map, water, spare ammo cans, swag, etc.

One person standing by with a 4x4 (or perhaps heliocopter) and CB just in case we were too lost or tired to hike back.

I think I could get by with just those people. :)