Free Hiking Staff

El Diablo

The only thing bad about this idea is that I voted early, and then all the nice people changed their avatars --- and now there are some that I think are superb.

Oh the other hand, maybe that is a good thing---I would have had too hard a time trying to decide among all the new ones I have seen!

A little over 7 hours left...so get you vote in, or make a case for your avatar!

El Diablo

Vote for me please! I voted way back ago for my favorite avatar, not saying who, but I would love an El_D original and would definetly have plenty of use for it, see previous posts. Whoever wins hope you apprieciate what youre getting.

Z

A little over 7 hours left...so get you vote in, or make a case for your avatar!

El Diablo

I didn't know we could "make a case for our own avatars"! But since you offered...

I picked my screenname "Goldfinch" because, like geocachers, goldfinches have the ability to blend into their surroundings so they are not seen. They have the unique ability to molt in the fall, changing their brilliant gold summer plumage to a winter camouflage of drab brown feathers.

I think my goldfinch avatar would grace the end of an El Diablo hiking staff very nicely! ;)

I have never owned a hiking staff, but happen to have the 50 Foot Walking Stick TB in my possesion right now. I will eventually have to give it up, but after my experience yesterday on a trail, meeting up with 12 wild turkeys, :lol:, in the future I am going to make sure I always have a hiking stick with me for protection!

One Goldfinch and 12 wild turkeys!

d7fbe838-8ad2-405e-8521-8b2bab499dbe.jpg

And how incredibly generous of you, El Diablo, to make this special offer! Thanks for the opportunity to make my case! ;)

Evil Chicken is comprised of Evil Chicken, Mother Hen & the Three Chicks (or Chicklets). So how did we come up our diabolical name? The five of us were at a birthday party. The hosts of the party had a chicken coop, a rooster (which was theoretically locked away) and a yard full of kids. My wife and I are inside talking to someone when all of the sudden a woman says, "Oh my Gawd! That girl's gonna get hurt!" Knowing my daughters and the sheer destruction that they can wreak, I excused myself and went to the doorway.

There stood the two combatants, my 4 year-old daughter and a 2.5-foot tall rooster. She had maneuvered the chicken into a corner between a fence and the hen house. I pushed my way through the door and, so as not to startle the rooster into doing something rash, I slowly descended the stairs. Putting one hand in front of me, as if I were Luke Skywalker using the Force, I said, "Honey, step away from the chicken." As soon as I uttered these words my daughter assumed the famous Lou Ferrigno stance from "The Incredible Hulk" TV show. "Grrr!" she growled. The rooster had enough and sprang into the air, his talons raised and ready to sink into my baby's face. This chicken was instinctually going for my daughter's eyes.

Birds, however, are not the only animals with instincts. My daughter pulled back as the chicken struck - causing two scratches on either side of her neck. In a nanosecond I scooped up my baby, estimated the rate of descent of the chicken, and kicked. My foot connected with the chicken, launching it into the side of the nearby hen house. It bounced off and scurried away clucking curses in chickenese at my offspring and me.

I carried her back to the steps and set her on her feet. She was shaking and breathing heavily. Thankfully, her scratches were superficial. She looked at me and said, in a very serious & solemn voice, "Man, that's one evil chicken." And that, my friends, is how Evil Chicken came to be.

Congratulations to ParentsofSam and to Team Tigger!

Now we have an interesting run off. Seems that Quiggle and Keystone Approver (isn't that supposed to be Reviewer?) has tied.

I'll extend the vote for Quiggle and Keystone Approver until tomorrow night the 22nd at midnight.

So cast your vote for one of them.

Note: If the Carolina Panthers win tomorrow I'll give both a staff. Go Panthers!

El Diablo

Congratulations to ParentsofSam and to Team Tigger!

Now we have an interesting run off. Seems that Quiggle and Keystone Approver (isn't that supposed to be Reviewer?) has tied.

I'll extend the vote for Quiggle and Keystone Approver until tomorrow night the 22nd at midnight.

So cast your vote for one of them.

Note: If the Carolina Panthers win tomorrow I'll give both a staff. Go Panthers!

El Diablo

We would like to thank everyone that voted for our Avatar .. and most of all El D for his generosity in making these staffs and giving them away !

Star

El Diablo...

Can you provide us with a listing of the top ten voted for? Just curious...

I hate to do that because it causes hurt feelings for those that didn't make it. That's the biggest reason why I have people vote via email and not in the fourms.

I can tell you that there were 5 that tied for 4th place. Generally in these contest the overwhelming amount of people only receive one to two votes each. To give you an example, ParentsofSam and Team Tigger received a tolat of 22 votes out of about 200 that was cast.

El Diablo

Congratulations to those who won. It was obvious who I voted for but alas, they didn't win. (Sorry hikergps.)

There are just so many great avatars out there. Those who did win must be doing the happy dance like Snoopy on crack. What a cool thing to win. Now they have the hard part ahead of them ---- waiting. ;)

:D  ;)  :D Go Panthers!!!!!I will cheer for any team that plays against a team that has a coach that jumped ship from Green Bay.    Congrats. to ParentsofSam and Team Tigger for your win.

GO HAWKS! Panthers are gettin' their a** kicked!

Sorry just too excited. :D

Hey the fat lady hasn't began singing yet. Although I think I hear her humming. :D

El Diablo

:D  ;)  :D Go Panthers!!!!!I will cheer for any team that plays against a team that has a coach that jumped ship from Green Bay.    Congrats. to ParentsofSam and Team Tigger for your win.

GO HAWKS! Panthers are gettin' their a** kicked!

Sorry just too excited. :D

Hey the fat lady hasn't began singing yet. Although I think I hear her humming. :D

El Diablo

Nahh... she's doing her warm-up scales now and the audience is being seated...

Team Maccabee

I just can't say enough how wonderful this is. I REALLY appreciate all the votes my avatar received. I am privledged to have such perfect beautiful daughters. I will be privledged to have such a wonderful hiking stick.

El Diablo you are the best, most generous person I have ever met. (And I have never met him.)

Thank You, Thank You!

Also a BIG congrats to Team Tigger and Keystone!

Congrats ParentsofSam!!

I feel like an indirect winner for your avatar. You will have to post a picture when you get the staff so we can all see El Diablo's fine work.

<~GoLeft

Yes THANK YOU Go Left! You took my squished up avatar and made it what it is today, beautiful. You do such great things over there in the avatar help thread.

THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!

thankyou.gifthankyou.gifthankyou.gif

It's been 10 months since these avatars won and I just got them made. I'm sorry for the delay, but sometimes unexpectly life can come at you really hard and fast! I hope you enjoy your staffs. They were a lot of fun to create. From left to right...ParentsofSAM, Keystone, Team Tigger International.

2fcb2b1c-d548-496d-8b3d-e22d304b1b31.jpg

El Diablo

boy do I wish I had entered earlier... I have always incorperated a wolf somehow into a username or avie, I think i would have look awesome on that staff... oh well

He'll be more than happy to sell you one! Just tell him what you want.

for how much though... I can't really afford much... :unsure: you know how it is as a kid