Free Hiking Staff

El Diablo

You know what would be awesome? A little recess with a Travel Bug tag embedded in the staff. That would make you and your staff a popular fella or lady as the case may be.

You might want to check out this one 4Agers

El Diablo

That hiking stick is well-traveled! I think it's pretty cool that it's been moving around the country for 2 years now. Great photos! I'll be in Colorado next month and would love to grab it, but I know it doesn't want to go back to Michigan. LOL

Mizdeeds :grin:

You know what would be awesome? A little recess with a Travel Bug tag embedded in the staff. That would make you and your staff a popular fella or lady as the case may be.

You might want to check out this one 4Agers

El Diablo

Or how about this one? I have been the lucky caretaker of the 50 Foot Walking Stick Travel Bug for awhile now. It's like my shadow... it goes everywhere I go! :grin:

Well it looks fine in your post but when I use it as an avatar I still have the box! I went out and logged back in from the main page to re-register the thing but it still shows with the box around it when used as an avatar. I don't get it. I appreciate your efforts though - I just don't understand graphics at all - such as WHY does it work when you post it or when I quote your post but not when I use it for an avatar??????

I'm going to keep it as my avatar though. I agree with your feelings about the symbiology - which is why I picked it in the first place. If I'm really (really!) lucky Amish Hacker will work on it and turn it into something better with color and such. He does awesome work but he doesn't know me and I'm kind of a n00b so I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks much for nominating me for a staff but, in the same vein as not counting on Amish Hacker to fix my avatar, I really don't have much hope of winning an El Diablo staff. It would be beyond awesome to have one but there are so very many nice avatars out there and many of them belong to better known folks than myself. I'm amazed and delighted to have been included as a candidate though. Seeing your post pretty much made my day. :lol:

I don't know why it won't work either. The one with a transparent background is a .gif file, and I see that all of the other avs are .jpg files, so maybe that's it. I tried loading it as mine, but my cat shows up instead. Durnit. Here's a .jpg with a gray background....

thrak.jpg

LOL, we've discussed it so much that you're scattered thru this thread, so maybe others will notice it and vote for your av too! I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes it. I think it would look very cool on a hiking stick.

Glad to make your day :grin:

Miz

Hey! You did it!!! Many thanks and here's a toast to you!!! pint.gif

Nice looking staff!  How much do they go for?

If you have to ask...you can't afford one. :blink: Just teasing. I would say that the 3 winners here will have a staff that would normally retail for $120.00 each.

So far we have what appears to be one clear cut winner, but it's still early. That leaves 2 up for grabs.

El Diablo

$120 for a walking stick <_< , you are right I can't afford that (my Jeep takes all my money) But who knows mabey someone will think my ultra cool avatar is worthy of being graced with the honors of a walking stick. :D

Have you checked out El Diablo's sticks? He does very nice work. http://geo-hikingstick.com/ I know that the quoted amount sounds like a lot of money for a hiking stick but you have to consider the amount of work that goes into the thing and the fact that it is a customized, one-of-a-kind, item. I can't afford such an item either but I can understand why it would cost that much. It isn't just a hiking staff - it is also art. Hopefully the folks who win these sticks will value them highly.

Having said that, if I were to be able to purchase one of El Diablo's staves I would certainly cherish it as something very special but I would also USE it. I couldn't just hang it on a wall. Can you imagine being out in the field and having another cacher recognize your staff as an El Diablo creation? I know that I'm no great shakes as a cacher or anybody special but wouldn't that make you kind of "puff up" and feel "special"? I know it would be a pretty cool thing for me. (Of course I'm widely regarded as a bit of a dork so..........) I would hate to think that folks might be afraid to "mess it up" by actually using it in the field. I think it would just add character to the stick and make it more personally theirs if it had a "used" look from actually being out in the field. I know that, to me, a stick is meant to save my butt or help me up and down and around. I look at these as "functional art". :P

Don't get me wrong. I'm not implying that you were saying the staves aren't worth the price. I understand that you were simply surprised so please don't take offense to this post. (I'm hoping to one day be able to commission a staff from him - a really TALL staff around 66" or so. Someday.......)

If you have to ask...you can't afford one. :blink: Just teasing. I would say that the 3 winners here will have a staff that would normally retail for $120.00 each.

So far we have what appears to be one clear cut winner, but it's still early. That leaves 2 up for grabs.

El Diablo

$120 for a walking stick :anibad: , you are right I can't afford that (my Jeep takes all my money) But who knows mabey someone will think my ultra cool avatar is worthy of being graced with the honors of a walking stick. ;)

Have you checked out El Diablo's sticks? He does very nice work. http://geo-hikingstick.com/ I know that the quoted amount sounds like a lot of money for a hiking stick but you have to consider the amount of work that goes into the thing and the fact that it is a customized, one-of-a-kind, item. I can't afford such an item either but I can understand why it would cost that much. It isn't just a hiking staff - it is also art. Hopefully the folks who win these sticks will value them highly.

Having said that, if I were to be able to purchase one of El Diablo's staves I would certainly cherish it as something very special but I would also USE it. I couldn't just hang it on a wall. Can you imagine being out in the field and having another cacher recognize your staff as an El Diablo creation? I know that I'm no great shakes as a cacher or anybody special but wouldn't that make you kind of "puff up" and feel "special"? I know it would be a pretty cool thing for me. (Of course I'm widely regarded as a bit of a dork so..........) I would hate to think that folks might be afraid to "mess it up" by actually using it in the field. I think it would just add character to the stick and make it more personally theirs if it had a "used" look from actually being out in the field. I know that, to me, a stick is meant to save my butt or help me up and down and around. I look at these as "functional art". :blink:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not implying that you were saying the staves aren't worth the price. I understand that you were simply surprised so please don't take offense to this post. (I'm hoping to one day be able to commission a staff from him - a really TALL staff around 66" or so. Someday.......)

Oh no, I don't take offence at all. I know that the walking sticks are works of art and having one would definintly up you cool points, but like I said my money is tied up elsewhere. ;)

Mmmmm... 2 still up for grabs...

<---- vote for me!!! (please?) ;)

If you have to ask...you can't afford one. :anibad: Just teasing. I would say that the 3 winners here will have a staff that would normally retail for $120.00 each.

El Diablo

I agree that El Diablo's Hiking Staff are awesome and would love to have one as well. But what I think I value more is his advice on how to make one. Since I read his guide I've been looking and have found the perfect sappling to begin the process with. It's in an area that's about to be leveled for new housing, so I've got to take it down this weekend or lose the opportunity. From there I'll let it dry as per ED's guidelines and I'll work on my wood burning, carving, and engraving skills while I wait. Hopefully by summer I'll have a BRTango Hiking Staff... a poor emulation of El Diablo's I'm sure, but one that will have a bit more sentimental value (and if all goes well one that people will see and say "hey, that looks like an El Diablo Staff... did you follow his guide?").

I agree that El Diablo's Hiking Staff are awesome and would love to have one as well. But what I think I value more is his advice on how to make one. Since I read his guide I've been looking and have found the perfect sappling to begin the process with. It's in an area that's about to be leveled for new housing, so I've got to take it down this weekend or lose the opportunity. From there I'll let it dry as per ED's guidelines and I'll work on my wood burning, carving, and engraving skills while I wait. Hopefully by summer I'll have a BRTango Hiking Staff... a poor emulation of El Diablo's I'm sure, but one that will have a bit more sentimental value (and if all goes well one that people will see and say "hey, that looks like an El Diablo Staff... did you follow his guide?").

Where exactly is his advice on making your own? is it on his web site?

I agree that El Diablo's Hiking Staff are awesome and would love to have one as well.  But what I think I value more is his advice on how to make one.  Since I read his guide I've been looking and have found the perfect sappling to begin the process with.  It's in an area that's about to be leveled for new housing, so I've got to take it down this weekend or lose the opportunity.  From there I'll let it dry as per ED's guidelines and I'll work on my wood burning, carving, and engraving skills while I wait.  Hopefully by summer I'll have a BRTango Hiking Staff... a poor emulation of El Diablo's I'm sure, but one that will have a bit more sentimental value (and if all goes well one that people will see and say "hey, that looks like an El Diablo Staff... did you follow his guide?").

Where exactly is his advice on making your own? is it on his web site?

I pulled his directions out of the thread, it was quite long.

--------------------------

You need to decide what type of wood you want to use. Hardwoods work best such as Hickory, Poplar, Cherry and Aspen. Other hardwoods such as Oak and Maple are beautiful, but too heavey to lug around. However if you just want to make a display staff these will work well. Do not use Pine. The sap will seep out forever.

Where do you find the wood to start with? You want to look for a sapling, not a branch. Most branches are usually too crooked. You can either find one in the woods that has already died and cured, or you can cut a green one yourself. The best place to find a green one is where lots are being cleared for construction. You will often see huge piles of trees where the dozers have pushed them up into a pile.

This is the perfect time of the year to get a green one. The sap is running and it makes it very easy to debark...like peeling a banana. If you get one that is already dead, debarking can be a pain. I use a large utility knife to cut it off.

Once you find your staff you will need to decide the length and diameter. Keep in mind that when you debark it and cure it, it will be slightly smaller. Also cut it at least 6 inches longer than you need to compensate for splitting that normally occurs at the top or the bottom of the staff as it cures. Also if you use a dead one you may find that when you debark it that there are splits that are hidden by the bark...go get another one. You might want to gather up several just to hedge your bets when something goes wrong.

As soon as you select your staff, debark it. If it's green you will need to give it about 6 weeks to cure. While curing lay the staff flat and turn daily to help prevent warping. Select a location that is dry and sheltered from the weather to cure. A garage or shed will work great. If it warps don't panic! I have a cure for that.

I'll give more instructions next week after everyone has had a chance to find a staff. I also have an online source if you just can't find one, but they will cost you about 15.00 plus shipping. If you need that send me an email.

These are the tools you are going to need.

1. Sandpaper. Fine and Coarse.

2. A sander unless you want to spend a lot of time doing it by hand.

3. A roll of Masking tape.

4. A Utility Knife.

5. An Electric Engraver, or a battery operated one.

6. A variable speed Moto Tool.

7. A small wood carving bit for the Moto Tool.

8. A small can of wood stain. Your choice of color.

9. A small can of polyurethane. I use a clear gloss.

10. 1 inch foam brushes. You’ll probably use 3 of them.

11. Acrylic paint. You can use enamel, but I find Acrylic better. You will need the colors of the logo, and whatever color you are going to do your name in.

12. A small artist brush and brush cleaner.

13. The most important of all...a lot of patience!

By now you should have found the staff you wish to work with. After it has been debarked and cured, you need to sand it down to a smooth finish. I accomplish this by sanding first with a coarse grit paper followed by a fine grit to make it smooth. I use a Black&Decker Mouse sander. If you choose to do it by hand you have a lot of work cut out for yourself.

After it is sanded it’s time to put on the Geocaching logo and the name you want on your staff. I used to use a plastic template for the logo that I made. Then I realized that Geocaching.com provided the perfect template for free. Go to Geo Logo and choose the logo you want to use and print it out. You may have to scale down the size to make it fit on the staff. I use the black&white logo.

After you have printed it out, use a utility knife and cut the logo out. Leave a 1/4 inch border around it. Now take and position on the staff where you want it and tape it into place. Now use your engraver to go over the outline of the logo. Remove the paper logo and tape and you should have a perfect outline of the Geocaching logo.

Depending upon the type of wood you chose to work with, either a soft or a very hard wood will decide the tools you need. If you have a soft wood (you can test this by pressing your thumbnail into the wood. If it leaves a dent, it is soft.) You can finish out your carving by using the engraver. Going over the outline several times until you reach the depth that pleases you. If it is a hard wood you will need the Moto Tool. I mentioned above to use a variable speed Moto Tool. The fixed speed Moto Tool is too fast to control. Unless you are better than I am. In which case, knock yourself out. Start off at a slow speed and gradually carve the outline of the logo. This is a critical step, and is where all can go wrong. The wood bit on the Moto Tool will try to follow the wood grain and if you are not careful you will destroy your staff. The same goes for the Engraver. Use extreme patience during this process.

After you have the Logo done it’s time to do your name. Print your name out on paper using the font you want and the size you desire. I use bold print with a size 72 font. Use center justification and type the letters so they run down the page, not side by side. After you have printed it out, follow the same procedures as you did for the logo.

I use small hooks that I screw into the top and bottom of the staff. I then hang the staff from the rafters of my shop on string to begin the staining process. Use the foam brush and stain the staff. Let the stain set for 15 minutes and wipe the entire staff with a paper towel. Repeat this process until you reach the shade desired. You will find the bottom hook useful for turning the staff while doing this.

After the stain has dried, it’s time to paint the staff. When the paint has dried, put you first coat of poly on. The poly will typically take about 2 hours to dry. After the first coat if you run your hand up and down the staff you will notice that it feels gritty. Use your fine sand paper to lightly sand it smooth (By hand. Not with a sander!) . Then repeat the poly process at least 3 times.

All you need now is a wrist strap and a rubber tip. You can find those here Treeline USA. Also the sell unfinished hiking staffs if you haven’t found you own yet.

-----------

Thread link here: El Diablo Hiking Staffs

He also did an article in Today's Cacher... but I don't have a subscription yet, so i can't view that one.

Edited by BRTango
OoOo there's a guide? I would be very interested in trying to make one myself, there are some nice Aspens around that would make for a great stick I think. How do you stop it from splitting as it dries?
...Once you find your staff you will need to decide the length and diameter. Keep in mind that when you debark it and cure it, it will be slightly smaller. Also cut it at least 6 inches longer than you need to compensate for splitting that normally occurs at the top or the bottom of the staff as it cures. Also if you use a dead one you may find that when you debark it that there are splits that are hidden by the bark...go get another one. You might want to gather up several just to hedge your bets when something goes wrong.

:anibad:;)

OoOo there's a guide? I would be very interested in trying to make one myself, there are some nice Aspens around that would make for a great stick I think. How do you stop it from splitting as it dries?

I dip the ends in candle wax to keep them from splitting, while the staff is drying.

I dip the ends in candle wax to keep them from splitting, while the staff is drying.

That works, but it will slow down the curing time.

El Diablo

For a slower but very controlled cure, put the debarked stick in a garbage bag (generally mine are long enough to use two and I tape them together at the middle.) I take them out once a week or so, turn the bags inside out and re-tape them. It takes longer to dry- sometimes up to several months, but I rarely get any checking. The time doesn't bother me. I generally have several sticks in process.

Edited by ATMouse

Z goes sneaking off into the woods to 'thin' the masses of supple young aspens.

Seriously though this thread has got me really interested in making a stick. If my artritis continues it will be the only way I'll get to hike, and I swear the day I can't go out of doors is... well there's some morbid thoughts. But a geologist should be in the field, that's just the way our brains are wired.

I cut two nice little Aspen saplings today, at first I was sad for cutting them, then I was happy for thinning them out, then I was sad because it is in a lot that is about to be developed, then I was happy they are going to be walking sticks instead of dozer fodder. And now Im confused at what I just typed. :anitongue:

EDIT: Dyslexia affects us all

Edited by ZSandmann

Wow!

I had no idea I was so far out of the forum loop! :blink: I've been so caught up with drama in another forum here, that I just found out about this contest!

Just your friendly (evil) lurking (evil) chicken checking in to say "Thanks" to Foster Bass for presenting my avatar (with some esteemed (non-evil ?) Northeastern Forum regulars) and to anyone who has voted for it!

Back (or is that "Bawk") to what I do best...

:drama:

Edited by Evil Chicken