Free Hiking Staff

El Diablo

I haven't done this in awhile so it's time to do it again with all the new comers in the last year or so. I've had a crappy month...so this makes me feel good.

I'll create a staff for the top 3 people voted with the best avatar. So if you like someones avatar now is the time to let them know.

As always the votes must be submitted to me by email at JC364@aol.com. The rules are...You can't vote for yourself and only one vote is allowed. If you vote more than once I will disregard all of your votes.

Even though there are 3 staffs you can only vote for one person. I will take the top 3 from there.

Keep in mind that you need to choose avatars that are possible to recreate on wood using carving tools. Therefore avatars using pictures won't work. They need to be a cartoonish nature, or animals, etc... No portraits.

The contest will run until midnight January 21st.

Good Luck!

El Diablo

Unbelievable. I was just looking at my staff from the Make-A-Wish contest, and wondering if it wasn't about time for you to do another...I almost sent you an email suggesting it. These avatar contests are fun.

Please vote for my avatar to boost my ego (I will decline, however, if I win [since I already have one], so a vote for me is not a vote against you). :D:laughing::huh:B):mad:

Even though there are 3 staffs you can only vote for one person.

Only one vote? That really makes it hard. I'm used to voting four or five times for most things.

Hmm...

92888_300.jpg HartClimbs?

92963fca-1e36-48dd-a0e4-00313886a27d.jpg TeamDEMP?

c67c3a09-20f9-4dcb-9c1b-8eff9bdf5585.jpg StayFloopy?

9febc415-fe47-49c7-ab05-05db41e203dd.jpg EvilChicken?

I think my vote will have to go with Squealy because I think it would look coolest on a hiking staff.

49e6d32b-2b58-43b9-849d-0130e7980f16.jpg Squealy

Dang it. I'm looking for it. Who has the kind of stick figure hiking guy? It would go well on a staff.

Not it but Team Maccabee has a nice one as well.

Sheesh.... still looking for it. I've seen it a lot so why can't I find it now?

Edited by Thrak

Ahhhhhh...... here it is! I vote for this one. Great avatar and would go well on a staff.

7084125e-55c6-4ee9-bbae-85a3ea5f11b0.jpg

[Edit]

Come on folks, you KNOW this avatar rocks. (Wish it was mine so maybe *I* could win a staff!) Seriously, I don't know this person but we were asked to vote for what we thought was a great avatar. I think this one represents what we do and has the attitude (just look at that grin!) that fits in with a geocacher hot on the trail of a cache - maybe even a FTF! I know I've had that same silly grin when I was out late at night seeking a FTF on a 2.5 mile round trip walk. It also fits well with the cacher who is out in the woods just "getting high" on nature as they cruise along some forest trail - loving the sights, sounds, and smells of nature. Again, I've been there and done that.

Yeah, I know I'm a nerd/dork/freak/weirdo/geocacher/whatever but I think this is really a GREAT avatar that fits all of us at one time or another. Many avatars (I've had 4 or 5 in the 5 months I've cached) are funny, witty, cool, or whatever. This is one that actually expresses what we are all about. So.......... even though I don't know this cacher and it does me no personal good at all to go on at length like this, I urge you to vote for this one. (Dang! So why can't I come up with an argument for ME to get a staff????)

Edited by Thrak
The rules are...You can't vote for yourself and only one vote is allowed. If you vote more than once I will disregard all of your votes.

If people vote for themselves, can they be eliminated too? :laughing:

EDIT: I voted -- by email -- as you asked.

Edited by mtn-man
Dang it. I'm looking for it. Who has the kind of stick figure hiking guy? It would go well on a staff.

Not it but Team Maccabee has a nice one as well.

Sheesh.... still looking for it. I've seen it a lot so why can't I find it now?

Thanks, Thrak, for the honorable mention. But there are far better than mine out there (I do love that Space Needle, though). I'll have to think about it a while...

Team Maccabee

Ahhhhhh...... here it is! I vote for this one. Great avatar and would go well on a staff.

[Edit]

Come on folks, you KNOW this avatar rocks. (Wish it was mine so maybe *I* could win a staff!) Seriously, I don't know this person but we were asked to vote for what we thought was a great avatar. I think this one represents what we do and has the attitude (just look at that grin!) that fits in with a geocacher hot on the trail of a cache - maybe even a FTF! I know I've had that same silly grin when I was out late at night seeking a FTF on a 2.5 mile round trip walk. It also fits well with the cacher who is out in the woods just "getting high" on nature as they cruise along some forest trail - loving the sights, sounds, and smells of nature. Again, I've been there and done that.

Yeah, I know I'm a nerd/dork/freak/weirdo/geocacher/whatever but I think this is really a GREAT avatar that fits all of us at one time or another. Many avatars (I've had 4 or 5 in the 5 months I've cached) are funny, witty, cool, or whatever. This is one that actually expresses what we are all about. So.......... even though I don't know this cacher and it does me no personal good at all to go on at length like this, I urge you to vote for this one. (Dang! So why can't I come up with an argument for ME to get a staff????)

I am honored to be nominated. My kids and I created this guy shortly after we started. They insisted that he have a hiking staff, since I never leave for a camping trip or cache hike without the one that I have had for years. Once again, humbly honored. Thanks Thrak!

So do we seriously not vote for a avatar if they mention they already have a hiking Staff?

You're going to have to figure out the politics on your own;

I have thrown my hat (outhouse) into the ring

and stated that I will not accept the honor if I win;

in other words, hanging chads could decide this vote.

Vote for me.

BTW, here is a photo of my El Diablo hiking staff:

sept1c_tank2.jpg

My El Diablo hiking staff.

:unsure::lol::blink:

Way cool. :lol:

I'm in the camp of it won't work for me either, though. I go through avatars like water. I have a few that would work fine, but no one's gonna remember which ones. :unsure: S'alright...others would use and appreciate hiking staff more than me.

Looking forward to seeing the winners! :blink:

Mmmmmmmmmminnne... pleeeeeeeeeease! :P

I'm closing to getting it as a tattoo this summer as well, since I've had it for a long time on other forums, and "twister" has been my nick/handle since the beginning of time (pre-internet CD radio days). I just tweaked the star colours to match the geocache colours for here.

Scott

I grew up in the hills of Kentucky in a place called " Butcher Hollow ". We were poor, had dirt floors, and an outhouse far from the house. Often, on the way to answer the call, I would lose my footing and fall because I had no staff. I spent much of my youth broken and healing. I also had to walk 5 miles to school no matter what the weather and would, from time to time, show up dirty because of my many falls. Once there, I was picked on by all the other kids who had staffs because I didn't fit in. I would frequently feel the poke of the staff of the playground bullies and I would turn to defend myself with my imaginary staff and suffered at their staff points and had many staph infections while growing up. They were always careful to poke me where if would look self inflicted, so it did me no good to seek help. Now as an adult I still find myself being laughed at by my caching brother-in-law " Churchcampdave " because of my many falls. Can you help me? :P

So do we seriously not vote for a avatar if they mention they already have a hiking Staff?

You're going to have to figure out the politics on your own;

I have thrown my hat (outhouse) into the ring

and stated that I will not accept the honor if I win;

in other words, hanging chads could decide this vote.

Vote for me.

BTW, here is a photo of my El Diablo hiking staff:

sept1c_tank2.jpg

My El Diablo hiking staff.

:P:unsure::P

That staff looks amazing. I wish I could do that.

I grew up in the hills of Kentucky in a place called " Butcher Hollow ". We were poor, had dirt floors, and an outhouse far from the house. Often, on the way to answer the call, I would lose my footing and fall because I had no staff. I spent much of my youth broken and healing. I also had to walk 5 miles to school no matter what the weather and would, from time to time, show up dirty because of my many falls. Once there, I was picked on by all the other kids who had staffs because I didn't fit in. I would frequently feel the poke of the staff of the playground bullies and I would turn to defend myself with my imaginary staff and suffered at their staff points and had many staph infections while growing up. They were always careful to poke me where if would look self inflicted, so it did me no good to seek help. Now as an adult I still find myself being laughed at by my caching brother-in-law " Churchcampdave " because of my many falls. Can you help me? :unsure:

If I had one, I'd smack you with it. :P

Well, with the search disabled I can't be sure that they actually use this as their avatar... but there is a charter member couple in our area that always place the greatest hides and often snag the FTFs called the sr.hikers (Wolf & Ingrid)-- they've always had the same sticker that they place in the logbooks and the same pic on their bio page, and we've always thought it was pretty clever so our vote goes to them (email sent):

4499_200.jpg

BTW, what do you folks think of ours?

abe28b08-2b71-47fd-b69e-6470ea72741b.jpg

We'd LOVE a new hiking stick :P ! Has anyone collected more than one vote yet?

Thanks, El Diablo!!!!