I Double Dog Dare You!

Eartha

I have a challenge for all of you. :laughing: Because I think you can do it. I dare you to do it. I double dog dare you!!!

Back on a nice October day in South Carolina in 2002 the Cache Clean up Crew held this event.

686058_1300.JPG

It looks like they had a some fun doing it.

They picked up a lot of garbage and turned a trashed piece of land into a beautiful park.

686058_2000.JPG

They made a huge difference in their area!

So I dare to you to make a difference in your area. CITO Day is coming up and now is the time to organize your events, big or small, on land or at sea, lake, river, stream. Out in the country or in the busy city. Don't ask what your park can do for you, ask what you can do for your park!

Who's with me! All it takes to start small is a handful of plastic shopping bags (they are free and it's recycling them) and a few friends who bring their own sandwich and beverage. Take a hike in a neglected park. Stop and tell the other park visitors what you are doing. Some might actually join you. If you want to put on an event that's a little bigger, talk to the park, ask them if they'd like some trail maintenance or a clean up done. It is good to ask, because you don't want to take work away from someone whose job it is to do that work. Ask if they will provide a truck and the dumpster. Have people bring a dish, paper goods, beverages, etc.... Reserve a pavilion if they have one in case of weather. If it's town or state property they'd probably be willing to provide the trucks, the removal, even the bags and gloves. So in the next few weeks keep your eyes open for that special park that needs sprucing up. Talk to your caching friends, get together and let's Cache In Trash Out!!!!!! And if I could please ask you if you are interested in this worldwide effort to just post a note here and get the ball rolling? Thanks! You cachers are the best!

Oooh! It's turning into a thank-you note thread. I will add the one I received after running a CITO Event:

The staff at Raccoon Creek State Park would like to thank you and the geocache community for being instrumental in coordinating the outstanding litter clean up effort that was undertaken here at the park. The park staff has received numerous compliments about the clean up efforts especially along Cottage Road. Once again, thank you for your group effort at making Raccoon Creek State Park a cleaner and safer park for everyone to enjoy.

OK... standard thank-you note, right? Well, looking ahead three years later, that park has six geocaches in it now. Before the CITO Event, there were none, and the rangers had removed the one cache hidden there without permission. CITO really works to build better relations with the parks!

What's more, the Park Manager went to a conference soon after the event, and all the other State Park Managers were jealous when they heard him bragging: "I've got *geocaches* in my park, and 50 geocachers came out and did a big cleanup project for us." There are now hundreds more geocaches in the State Parks, and a great relationship with the Park system statewide. Not all because of this event, of course -- but it sure didn't hurt!

Dare accepted.

I have contacted our largest urban park, it is close to 400 acres.

I spoke briefly(1/2 hour) with the Volunteer Co-ordinator and the Naturalist and I have made the decision to organize two CITO's, one will be a family type CITO at the park on CITO Day where we will concentrate on wind blown and flood lifted litter. The other CITO will be based upon a need identified by the park's Volunteer Coordinator in an area that is near the park. It will be a working man's CITO, coveralls, no kids and work in an area that may not be entirely comfortable, a heavy lift CITO you could call it. I am quite excited about helping out. I never thought that geocaching would turn into volunteering. :D

I did have trouble explaining that we would have many volunteers who would self organize, bring refreshments, spend hours cleaning the park and even pay to have the trash hauled if necessary and all of us would be doing that so we could get 1024 pixels in varying shades of green and blue from geocaching.com. :cool::lol::drama:

You folks are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!

I love the idea of the "working man's CITO" too. Family style teaches the children a wonderful lesson. And working man's will take care of the heavy stuff. That's so great. And a cave clean up! How cool will that be? Great ideas! I can't wait to see the photos from your events. :D

Did you know that there were 67 CITO events in 28 states and 5 countries in 2003 with 1180 unique logs? That's not bad. Not bad all. Since we don't have the stats for the last two years readliy available, I think you can all surely beat those numbers. :o Please?

bumpety bump bump

Edited by Eartha

How I got to this forum...I did a maintanance run to replace a leg of a multi at a lake & campground..On the way in about a 2 mile dirt road I noticed it was in need of a CITO event.I was checking for ideas as to hold this event because Ive never been to a CITO event but am planning to go to as many as I can this summer.Anyways here I am with a challenge right in my face and a double dog to boot.I have to take this challenge and hope it works out.If I post a CITO they will come.Thanks for the great challenge..

I love the idea of the "working man's CITO" too. Family style teaches the children a wonderful lesson. And working man's will take care of the heavy stuff.

We are on course. The first CITO event in our city is scheduled for this weekend. It ended up being a very well viewed idea. The first CITO is called Heavy Lift and it is a very difficult CITO 4/4. I have no double dogs but yesterday I kicked off the CITO by retrieving a 99lb dead deer and taking it to the local landfill. I hope we get some attendees as I have done my best to scare people off. :blink:

Our second CITO is called ECO 2006 and will be a family oriented day at our largest city park. The ECO 2006 CITO Event has challenged the organizers of the Edmonton CITO event We Care and Give Back to a competition to see who can get the most trash per person picked up. These two intercity linked CITO's will feature some donated 2006 CITO geocoins as prizes.

I am going to bundle in the pounds from Heavy Lift so Medicine Hat is sure to win the competition, the geocachers in Edmonton don't know that yet though, I think they will object !! :D

Members of our local geocaching organization, Northern New York Geocachers (NNYGeo), are hosting 3 CITO events during the month of April. Last year, the one I hosted resulted in over 600 pounds of crap being hauled out of the woods and carted to the dump, a bunch of people finding out about geocaching, and a favorable TV spot on a local news channel.

We're hoping for even better this year!!!

Jamie

(there's a link to NNYGeo in my sig line, my computer at work doesn't work well with the gc forums for some reason)

GeocacheAlaska is working on it for April 22, 2006: GeocacheAlaska Calendar of Events

Ooops...Scobey and I reconfigured the Geocache Alaska Website which broke the originally provided link. The 2006 Kincaid Park CITO Event in Anchorage is officially on the books!

An Interior Alaska version of the event will be held once we decide when the snow will be gone. The borough-sponsored clean-up day has been postponed two out of the past three years due to snow falling in May and covering up the litter :unsure:.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

I hope it is acceptable to post a bit of spam here. Our CITO focused on "making a difference" and I am really proud of the group and the results we achieved.

Check this out, remarkable;

Heavy Lift was the first Geocaching CITO ever held in our city and we managed a superhuman task. Our CITO received permission from every level of governement. It was a vital and extremely difficult project in a city waterway, Seven Persons Creek.

This CITO event was industrial strength and we really had some great results.

There are a lot of pictures in the logs and there will be more.

We have hauled 725kgs (3/4 ton) of trash to the dump so far and that total will go much higher. Our efforts have made a big difference.

The large beam you see in the picture "Heart of the Obstruction" is likely 200kgs (450lbs), it took all of us to lift it out of the creek.

This Heavy Lift CITO really lived up to it's name.

b74df4f0-b6b0-4771-a724-112948ba56ae.jpg

The Before Shot: Heavy Lift 24

b90b2d37-6508-4651-af81-d0500132310c.jpg

The After Shot: Heavy Lift After 1

8638b3eb-401f-41b9-81a3-530e08b8636e.jpg

The Heart of the Obstruction

How I got to this forum...I did a maintanance run to replace a leg of a multi at a lake & campground..On the way in about a 2 mile dirt road I noticed it was in need of a CITO event.I was checking for ideas as to hold this event because Ive never been to a CITO event but am planning to go to as many as I can this summer.Anyways here I am with a challenge right in my face and a double dog to boot.I have to take this challenge and hope it works out.If I post a CITO they will come.Thanks for the great challenge..

Well after chatting with the local DNR and offering to do a litter patrol at the site mentioned earlier they decided on another area and I agreed to hold Douglas Falls CITO (GCV1RP) on april 22.Thanks again for a dare I could not pass up.

wavevector and henki,

THANK YOU!!!!!!! Two totally different reasons for a CITO, two monumental tasks, two big differences made in the world. You are the best! You should all pat yourselves on the back! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

(Loved the California ladies! How cute is that?)

I hope it is acceptable to post a bit of spam here. Our CITO focused on "making a difference" and I am really proud of the group and the results we achieved.

Check this out, remarkable;

Heavy Lift was the first Geocaching CITO ever held in our city and we managed a superhuman task. Our CITO received permission from every level of governement. It was a vital and extremely difficult project in a city waterway, Seven Persons Creek.

This CITO event was industrial strength and we really had some great results.

There are a lot of pictures in the logs and there will be more.

We have hauled 725kgs (3/4 ton) of trash to the dump so far and that total will go much higher. Our efforts have made a big difference.

The large beam you see in the picture "Heart of the Obstruction" is likely 200kgs (450lbs), it took all of us to lift it out of the creek.

This Heavy Lift CITO really lived up to it's name.

This is not what I'd call spam; this is what I'd call amazing. Great job! :unsure:

Well, we took you up on your double dog dare Eartha. Before setting off to our CITO event I had a look at the calendar and counted 110 CITO events taking place around the world today, I hope they all went as well as ours.

We had over 100 cachers turn up, and managed to fill 2 skips to overflowing.

after1.jpgafter2.jpg

We had never been to a CITO event before, it was a very fulfilling day and reading the logs made me very happy. Everyone seemed to get a lot out of it. Thanks for the dare!

I left my camera in the car so don't have pictures of our own. The haul at our cito was impressive, and included a door, a car seat (not a childs booster seat) a moniter, two dozen shopping carts (hoisted up by human chain from the bottom of a ravine, and waypointing three meth labs :lol: that the Dept. of Ecology is cleaning up today.

Hi all.. New to the Geo scene and loving every minute of it.. I am a big hiker and love the idea of adding a new twist to my hikes. Today as I was walking around my area, looking for my first Cache, I thought this same very thought, Why not next time bring some bags with me and clean up all of the trash around Canaan Lake.. I was surprised to see this thread..

Awesome idea.. Im going for it..

Summersky on Long Island.. :wub:

The York County Geocaching Society adopted a section of highway. We care for the two mile stretch of road in the form of 4 CITO's a year. Two were held already, one is scheduled. See this link. I could not make the first one, but on the second one we collected about 40 bags of trash along the road. We have the sign along the road and everything. See this photo.

Looking forward to more CITO.

Edited by Geometeacher

Hmmm.... two whole posts for 2007!

I am feeling a bit inspired <_<

I think perhaps a Fall CITO would be appropriate - nobody likes heat stroke! And since we have a Forest Preserve less than a mile from home... well, you get the picture!

Now that we are approaching our 1 year anniversary in caching, what better way to celebrate it than to clean up the Forest Preserves we all love to cache in?

~J

Now that we are approaching our 1 year anniversary in caching, what better way to celebrate it than to clean up the Forest Preserves we all love to cache in?

~J

Why am I picturing a bunch of geocachers frolicking in a jar of camouflage colored jam?

That was a funny picture. :huh:

I think fall is a great time to CITO. Good luck with your CITO and don't forget to bring us some photos!