Adopt-a-highway Programs (2006 Version)

MissJenn

One way to participate in Cache In Trash Out activities is for your local geocaching buddies to organize a highway cleanup, or even to adopt a highway. Below are some helpful links. I will edit this list as I find better, newer information for 2006.

Adopt-A-Highway programs across the U.S.

(a * indicates a not-very-good link)

Alabama*

Alaska*

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa (pdf)

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina*

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont*

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming

March 9 marks the date the first Adopt-A-Highway volunteers in the United States picked up roadside litter in Texas. The Texas Department of Transportation then started the first Adopt-A-Highway Program in 1985.

signal_thumbup.jpg

Edited by MissJenn

Our group (The GSMGC; East Tennessee) has been involved in Adopt a Highway for about a year now. We've done three cleanups so far and picked up at least 122 bags of trash over 2 miles of highway, as well as several tires and "a bunch of assorted car parts" that wouldn't fit into bags.

a215a7fe-152f-48ac-8bc0-bae98cf0635f.jpg

If anybody in Tennessee needs information or help on getting started, feel free to contact me, Fluffy&Itchy, or thestosh and we'd be glad to help you get started.

Edited by DavidMac
The San Diego County Geocachers just adopted a 2 mile stretch of road out in Ocotillo Wells area of the desert.....pictures and additional information coming soon!!

PassingWind

a849074d-00fc-4d36-97b6-b0fbf70813ec.jpg

Ocotillo Wells - The Great 78 CITO Event #1 (GCTEE3)

Our first attempt; rain, snow, and 30 degrees.....I thought this was the desert?

2f75bd1b-8eee-4936-aef0-ab606f906b5b.jpg

Our Next Attempt:

The Great 78 CITO Event Attempt 1.5 - Earth Day (GCTXYA)

Posting this and the VDOT link to my local Yahoo group to see if anyone wants to try it...

Love the picture! Just curious, in that picture, concerning the lady in the left of the picture, who retouched the color of her shirt, and why?

Just curious! Me, I'm a photographer by trade specializing in digital photography, and when I see things like this, I am always curious to find out the "why" behind the "what"!

Happy hiding!

I'm assuming you mean the picture that PassingWind posted, not the one I posted. In the one I posted, that was the original color of the shirt- neon yellow for visibility (we were on the side of a busy highway, after all). The other shirt, if you're curious, reads, "Geocaching event junkie".

Or were you talking about the purple shirt the person in the other photo is wearing under their jacket? If I had to guess, I'd say it was a Magellan t-shirt, and the photographer was a Garmin user :) .

Edited by DavidMac

The ARK-MO-GEOCACHERS have had our Adopt-A-Highway for quite a while now.

We do at least 3 clean-ups a year.

We have also been doing the GC EVENT:

NATIONAL PUBLIC LANDS DAY

LINK:

NATIONAL PUBLIC LANDS DAY

PUBLIC LANDS DAY

Our event was submitted and we were sent information on the

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA (TEAM-UP).

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

So as a registered National Public Lands Day site we became eligible to order material directly from Take Pride in America.

Banners,bumper stickers and other great promotional materials.

It makes me feel good when I hear geocachers from other areas comment on how clean it is here.

It is nice but still needs lots of work in some areas.

We will continue to do our part as geocachers here and hope you can get some ideas from our efforts.